• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest 2 has sold 10 million units

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Now the best selling VR headsets across every platforms. Pretty good consider it was released almost just a year ago.

A comment from the CEO of Quest 2 chip provider Qualcomm suggests the headset formerly known as Oculus Quest 2 is well on its way. Qualcomm CEO Cristiano Amon said during an investor day livestream that “Oculus Quest 2 was 10 million units,” with the comment representing some of the strongest language we’ve heard yet about the market adoption for the headset Meta sells starting at $299.

cragarmi

Now the best selling VR headsets across every platforms. Pretty good consider it was released almost just a year ago.
Bodes well for PSVR2 if they can get the price competitive.

GHG

Gold Member
It's an amazing device so well deserved.

Sesame Street Haters GIF by INTO ACTION

The most fantastic irony is people shitting on it here and calling it niche when it's selling better than their favourite console. Love to see it.

GHG

Gold Member
It's better than PSVR. Better screens (no screen door effect on this). Games are better and you can play every PCVR game on it.

You can also load files on it via USB.

The biggest thing to mention is that you can play VR from your PC wirelessly.

It had some teething problems but works brilliantly now provided both your PC and router are string enough.

There's also a way to set it up so the data comes straight from your PC as long as it has WiFi, so the router doesn't even need to be involved.

Kacho

Gold Member
Surprised to see the Quest 2 in stock. I remember them having issues keeping up with demand. Are they not affected as much by the chip shortage?

Banned
Bodes well for PSVR2 if they can get the price competitive.

not really. I think one of the big draws for the Quest is that it is fully independently usable. it is 100% wireless and needs no other hardware to run. That is a big part of the appeal.
You can also use it to play every VR game on PC either wireless or using a good USB 3 cable which gives it additional value and a gigantic potential library of games both on Steam and on the Oculus store

Last edited:

cragarmi

not really. I think one of the big draws for the Quest is that it is fully independently usable. it is 100% wireless and needs no other hardware to run. That is a big part of the appeal.
You can also use it to play every VR game on PC either wireless or using a good USB 3 cable which gives it additional value and a gigantic potential library of games both on Steam and on the Oculus store
I think there may be a wireless option for PSVR2, albeit at a higher cost. But yeah the potential library would be a lot bigger on Quest.

Banned
I think there may be a wireless option for PSVR2, albeit at a higher cost. But yeah the potential library would be a lot bigger on Quest.

It would not tho. on PC you have a shitload of VR games that never made it to PS4, first and foremost Half Life Alyx (although I expect a port of that to PS5 at some point)

It's hard to predict how well PSVR2 will sell IMO, the price of entry is REALLY high after all when you consider that you need both the console and the Headset, both of which aren't cheap.

I think that is where the Quest has it's huge advantage, because you get the more casual users in by having a single device that is about as expensive as a Nintendo Switch

Last edited:

Romulus

How? The PSVR2 isn't standalone, probably won't be wireless, and is limited to PS games.

I think it helps, just not massively. We are still living in a time where alot of gamers legit think the VR experience is just a screen close to your face. So yeah, alot of people need to try it for themselves to understand that's not remotely true.

I would say for every new Quest 2 at least 5 people get to experience VR for the first time.

Last edited:

cragarmi

It would not tho. on PC you have a shitload of VR games that never made it to PS4, first and foremost Half Life Alyx (although I expect a port of that to PS5 at some point)

It's hard to predict how well PSVR2 will sell IMO, the price of entry is REALLY high after all when you consider that you need both the console and the Headset, both of which aren't cheap.

I think that is where the Quest has it's huge advantage, because you get the more casual users in by having a single device that is about as expensive as a Nintendo Switch
If you read it I've already agreed with you that the library on Quest would be a lot bigger 😂. I agree the price of entry will be a big factor though.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think it helps, just not massively. We are still living in a time where alot of gamers legit think the VR experience is just a screen close to your face. So yeah, alot of people need to try it for themselves to understand that's not remotely true.

I would say for every new Quest 2 at least 5 people get to experience VR for the first time.
But the problem for PSVR then is that people try the Quest and go "holy shit this is amazing!" only to then see the PSVR with its wires and massive cost and limited games and go "oh, well that's crap" and they buy a Quest instead.

sainraja

Do we know that PSVR2 will require tethering?
Probably a safe assumption that it will if they haven't said anything but have they actually said that?

Anyway, I am not that into VR and it also makes me a little sick so I haven't bought into it and I doubt I ever will. I have tried Oculus VR and the old PSVR — wasn't that impressed with either.

Last edited:

Romulus

But the problem for PSVR then is that people try the Quest and go "holy shit this is amazing!" only to then see the PSVR with its wires and massive cost and limited games and go "oh, well that's crap" and they buy a Quest instead.

Yeah I think by the time Quest really hits full swing for mainstream PSVR2 will be out. That's 1 wire at least and I assume most trying Quest 2 is not with a high end PC, so the visuals will be alot better and possibly the FOV. So there will be give and take. I would wager people really looking at psvr2 will have already bought a ps5.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Damn. That’s console-like sales numbers.

I’ll admit that I was against VR initially, but the Quest 2 won me over. I love that it’s tetherless, wireless, and standalone. So many features like hand tracking, keyboard tracking, 120Hz.

It’s like the Wii of VR. Cheap, fast, simple, family fun.

Romulus

Damn. That’s console-like sales numbers.

I’ll admit that I was against VR initially, but the Quest 2 won me over. I love that it’s tetherless, wireless, and standalone. So many features like hand tracking, keyboard tracking, 120Hz.

It’s like the Wii of VR. Cheap, fast, simple, family fun.

I wonder what territory these sales numbers are in vs consoles? N64 maybe?

Buggy Loop

It’s the best value by far. Hell, the headset as it is right now has been so upgraded compared to the launched product.

Played Half Life Alyx wirelessly via wifi on it. It’s a game changer. Not a single product that will require tethering from now on will interest me. Can’t go back.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I wonder what territory these sales numbers are in vs consoles? N64 maybe?
Yeah, not quite as gangbusters as the top selling consoles, more in line with N64/Xbox One I’d guess.

I’ll make a bold claim, though. If the Facebook requirement wasn’t there it would be more like 14-15 million. That is the most common reason a lot people state they haven’t bought it.

Romulus

Yeah, not quite as gangbusters as the top selling consoles, more in line with N64/Xbox One I’d guess.

I’ll make a bold claim, though. If the Facebook requirement wasn’t there it would be more like 14-15 million. That is the most common reason a lot people state they haven’t bought it.

I would guess 12-14 million myself.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Easy to see why: it's an incredible piece of kit.

The PSVR was my first headset, and I really do love it, but the Quest 2 is just a step up in every way. Playing through Half-Life Alyx on it via link cable was some of the most immersive gaming I've ever experienced. I just finished RE4VR on it and its easily one of my favourite games of the year. I'm now playing through GTAIII PC (original, not DE) on a giant cinema screen via Air Link and Virtual Desktop, and it's a hell of a way to enjoy classic titles.

Cannot recommend it enough - easily the best VR headset on the market in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Do we know that PSVR2 will require tethering?
Probably a safe assumption that it will if they haven't said anything but have they actually said that?

Anyway, I am not that into VR and it also makes me a little sick so I haven't bought into it and I doubt I ever will. I have tried Oculus VR and the old PSVR — wasn't that impressed with either.
Sony said it will connect to the PS5 with a single cord.

lukilladog

Still third party estimates :goog_sleep: so shady, obviously there is a reason as to why corporations let these numbers float around freely, not to be believed.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
I tested Htc Vr, and it was kind mind blown.

You get to see different world, once you wear it. i am going to buy one in the future. Right now, my room small to play VR. Once we move to a bigger house, I might get it.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Nah, most people could not care less about that. In fact most people probably want to log in with their facebook account.

People that hate facebook and won't use things that need a facebook login are the vocal minority that hang around on places like this.

PSVR2 will work on pc I think and I imagine it will sell very well.
Why would it well very well when the Quest exists and works with PC?

Last edited:

Romulus

Nah, most people could not care less about that. In fact most people probably want to log in with their facebook account.

People that hate facebook and won't use things that need a facebook login are the vocal minority that hang around on places like this.

Why do you have to hate FB just because you don't like signing in to play a game?
And if the users complaining are such a small minority, why are they removing the log in requirement?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Why do you have to hate FB just because you don't like signing in to play a game?
And if the users complaining are such a small minority, why are they removing the log in requirement?
They likely don't even need the login for anything because you're going to be playing it on the same IP addresses that you log in to face book from. Removing it gives one less thing for the vocal minority to complain about, yet it's really just a token gesture.

Romulus

They likely don't even need the login for anything because you're going to be playing it on the same IP addresses that you log in to face book from. Removing it gives one less thing for the vocal minority to complain about, yet it's really just a token gesture.

I'm asking why you need to hate fb just because you'd rather not be logged in while gaming. Seems there are likely people ok with FB but not for gaming.

And is FB known to just bend the knee like that to a small minority of complainers? Seems suddenly weak.

LOLCats

Banned
The most fantastic irony is people shitting on it here and calling it niche when it's selling better than their favourite console. Love to see it.
because its in stock and readily available, lets be honest here... if the big 3 were in stock for all to have the quest2 wouldn't outsell them no way this holiday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom