• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest 2 has sold 10 million units

Billbofet

Got one of these coming tomorrow. What's the must have games apart from Beat Saber and Half Life Alyx?
I would also say to look into SideQuest. There is a ton of stuff on there and it was a great first start for me when I got my headset.
This is where you find stuff like Half-Life and Doom 3 apps that allow you to play those classics in VR.

Aside from the official games mentioned above, I would also add Eleven Table Tennis. It is so crazy spot on for ping pong - just fantastic!!!
SuperHot is also amazing.

Enjoy!!!

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got one of these coming tomorrow. What's the must have games apart from Beat Saber and Half Life Alyx?
Here's some of my favorite games so far, posted in the Quest OT...
-Arizona Sunshine
-Demeo
-RE4
-Gun Club
-Fruit Ninja
-Eleven Table Tennis
-Beat Saber
-Superhot
-Ancient Dungeon
-Zombieland Headshot Fever
darthvargi darthvargi had a list of good games, too...
1. RE4
2. Lies Beneath
3. Robo Recall
4. Contractors
5. Journey of the Gods
6. Moss
7. Ghost Giant
8. 2MD VR Football
9. Premium Bowling
10. Resist

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Is Demeo even worth it single player? If I can convince my brothers to ever get VR then I'd get it for sure. We used to play tabletop games for years.
I'd say yes, but it's obviously much better in co-op and it's not always fun to play with randos. Good news is that the Steam PC/non-VR version is coming April 7th, 2022. That way you can play with flatlanders if you want, and it has crossplay.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'd say yes, but it's obviously much better in co-op and it's not always fun to play with randos. Good news is that the Steam PC/non-VR version is coming April 7th, 2022. That way you can play with flatlanders if you want, and it has crossplay.
Ohhhh, that is interesting.

Romulus

My standalone list

1) Walking Dead Saints and Sinners
2) Superhot
3) Dash Dash Racing
4) RE4
5) Journey of the Gods
6) Resist
7) Demeo
8) Pistol Whip
9) Beat Saber
10) Doom 3 Sideload

I could make another list of standalone games, but jeez there's a ton of stuff there to play. Only about 20 that really worth but that's alot of gameplay.

I will say Walking Dead probably is the best game on Quest by a good margin. The standalone version is impressive too. IGN's 9/10 is pretty spot-on for once, but I would go so far as a 9.5/10

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I’m going to give a BIG recommendation for a game most of you might not think of playing:

Puzzling Places.

It‘s just a VR jigsaw puzzle game, but it’s marvellous. Very relaxing, mindful, and satisfying.

Pachi72

My standalone list

1) Walking Dead Saints and Sinners
2) Superhot
3) Dash Dash Racing
4) RE4
5) Journey of the Gods
6) Resist
7) Demeo
8) Pistol Whip
9) Beat Saber
10) Doom 3 Sideload

I could make another list of standalone games, but jeez there's a ton of stuff there to play. Only about 20 that really worth but that's alot of gameplay.

I will say Walking Dead probably is the best game on Quest by a good margin. The standalone version is impressive too. IGN's 9/10 is pretty spot-on for once, but I would go so far as a 9.5/10
Synthriders is also a good music game

Pachi72

https://www.androidcentral.com/ocul...t-3-release-dates-and-new-display-tech-leaked

What you need to know​

• The Quest Pro will use MiniLED screens in its displays.
  • The Quest 3 will use uOLED screens in its displays.
  • Meta has signed a deal to begin production for these displays with Changxin Technology.
Brad Lynch, a tech and VR analyst, took to Twitter today to reveal some new information about some of Meta's upcoming VR devices. He mostly focused in information about the displays Meta is planning on using in the Quest Pro and Quest 3, but he also discussed other specs for the headsets as well as their production timelines.

Meta Cambria (Q2 2022) will include MiniLED screens. Targeting to sell 3 million HMD units in its first year.

Quest 3 is planned to include uOLED. Meta signed deal to build production lines for these displays with Changxin Technology

Connect 2023 announce/release soon after
— Brad Lynch | CES 2022 (@SadlyItsBradley) January 4, 2022
The leak claimed that the Quest Pro, referenced as Project Cambria in Lynch's post, will use miniLED, a display mostly seen in newer TVs and some Apple products. This should look much better than the 1920 x 1832 LCD lenses in the Quest 2, though we don't know yet what resolution the Quest Pro will use.

In the latest Connect 2021 livestream, Zuckerberg suggested that the Quest Pro will use "pancake optics" to "fold light several times over" so they can have a thinner, lighter profile. That, combined with the miniLED, should make the Quest Pro a major step up in visual quality.

Lynch says the Quest Pro is slated for "Q2 2022," which indicates it could launch somewhere between April and June of this year. According to the latest rumors, the Quest Pro is a wireless headset that plays all of the best Quest 2 games, while also adding cameras for face/eye tracking and updated Touch controllers.

As for the Quest 3, it's set to use uOLED, an upgraded version of an OLED display. OLED's been used in some high-fidelity headsets in the past, but the Quest 3 would likely be the first mass-market device to use the display technology.

Lynch also specified that Meta had already finalized the production details for the uOLED with Changxin Technology and that the device would be revealed in a Meta Connect in 2023 and released soon after. Given the last few Connects happened in September or October, that suggests the Quest 3 will arrive in late 2023.

Beyond the Quest 3's display, Meta is reportedly also working on a proprietary chipset for the device that won't utilize Qualcomm's Snapdragon XR3 processor, even though it's likely to be available by the time the Quest 3 enters production. Lynch says this custom SoC will "focus on a GPU that is better designed for VR loads."

Billbofet

I also recommend this bundle:

I think most of the games are Quest 1 games, but the value is just overwhelming for $15. I have tried all the games and they are solid - maybe not killer apps, but a good variety - there's a shooter, a driving game, puzzle, story-driven game, and then Accounting + (hilarious).
I was convinced Zombie Land would be lame, but I have had an absolute blast with it the few sessions I have played. Zombie shooters are a dime a dozen in VR, but this is a tight, arcade-like experience great for short bursts.

MrFunSocks

Banned
It's pretty close already. The guardian setup works shockingly well. I have a fairly cramped bedroom that I've been playing VR in no problem. Anytime I get close to the barriers I drew on the floor, it highlights and then shows the real world instead through the cameras.

Really the only thing I'd change is have a very small button on the controllers or some gesture that lets you turn on the outside cameras manually. Maybe that exists and I don't know about it.
It only shows the real world when you actually cross the guardian barrier though. I wish it showed it as soon as the barrier wall showed up, just in that spot where it makes the red circles on the barrier.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It only shows the real world when you actually cross the guardian barrier though. I wish it showed it as soon as the barrier wall showed up, just in that spot where it makes the red circles on the barrier.
So, make your guardian smaller so that you cross it and get the pass through at the point you want to. You could turn off the walls and leave just the floor indicator so it's not distracting too soon before you get to the pass through threshold too.

Last edited:

Romulus

I usually give my guardian about 6 inches of leeway, not the exact barrier.

Edit. Alexios basically said the same

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
So, make your guardian smaller so that you cross it and get the pass through at the point you want to. You could turn off the walls and leave just the floor indicator so it's not distracting too soon before you get to the pass through threshold too.
Not a bad idea, thanks.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I just picked up tonight Project Wingman. If you want an arcade style fighter jet game definitely pick it up. This is my first game in the genre, but the VR really makes it amazing. It's a beautiful game too.

I'm using a Rift CV1 though.

Last edited:

gypsygib

Bodes well for PSVR2 if they can get the price competitive.
Do you need a PS5 for PSVR2? If so, then good luck. Because, PS5's are still very hard to find and 100% over MSRP.

It would be nice if PSVR2 operated as a hybrid standalone/PS5 wireless device. Similar to Quest 2 that works alone and with PC for better graphics.

Vognerful

Guys I need help here. I saw someone is welling to sell for a 250 USD ( they retail for 350 USD here). What do I have to look for to make sure I am getting a good unit?

CuNi

It's the best worst thing to happen to vr. It's amazing how much it pushed vr forward, but also a perfect example of big companies already trying to segment the vr market by handling it like a console and walling off games behind hardware. It's really a shame. I'd be all for it if there wouldn't be exclusives as I feel like it will go into a very shitty direction where you will need to have multiple headsets in order to play all games.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Guys I need help here. I saw someone is welling to sell for a 250 USD ( they retail for 350 USD here). What do I have to look for to make sure I am getting a good unit?
I'd ask if it's ever been dropped, what they wipe the lenses with, if there have ever been any controller disconnect/power issues, or issues with the speakers. Ask typical battery life and if the unit ever gets excessively hot. Ask them to charge the unit and you can bring a couple AA batteries when you meet in case you need them to test the controllers.

When you meet check the lenses for scratches by rotating a bit to let the glare reflect and make sure there's no issues. Then check the faceplate to make sure it detaches and snaps back on correctly. You can ask for help with this if you've never handled one, at first it feels like you might break it but it's rugged. After that inspect the strap for any issues. Lastly I would boot it up with the power button the right side of the unit and if it's been factory reset it will boot into the first setup screen where you would learn about Quest 2 and log in, etc. That would give you chance to see if the lenses and screen are ok. I think it makes you connect both controllers, too.

Some of this stuff, well most of it, can even be done by the seller by taking pics or vids. You can ask them to take pics of the lenses and even to hold the camera up closely to see inside and make sure it's working right...
pcETI5t.jpg

Of course if will look way better when it's up to your eyes, but it allows you make sure it's functional.

Last edited:

Vognerful

I'd ask if it's ever been dropped, what they wipe the lenses with, if there have ever been any controller disconnect/power issues, or issues with the speakers. Ask typical battery life and if the unit ever gets excessively hot. Ask them to charge the unit and you can bring a couple AA batteries when you meet in case you need them to test the controllers.

When you meet check the lenses for scratches by rotating a bit to let the glare reflect and make sure there's no issues. Then check the faceplate to make sure it detaches and snaps back on correctly. You can ask for help with this if you've never handled one, at first it feels like you might break it but it's rugged. After that inspect the strap for any issues. Lastly I would boot it up with the power button the right side of the unit and if it's been factory reset it will boot into the first setup screen where you would learn about Quest 2 and log in, etc. That would give you chance to see if the lenses and screen are ok. I think it makes you connect both controllers, too.

Some of this stuff, well most of it, can even be done by the seller by taking pics or vids. You can ask them to take pics of the lenses and even to hold the camera up closely to see inside and make sure it's working right...
pcETI5t.jpg

Of course if will look way better when it's up to your eyes, but it allows you make sure it's functional.
Thanks a lot man.

Stitch

Gold Member
Don't forget that there’s also space sense

But I think it gets triggered too easily so I always see some furniture in my games

cragarmi

Do you need a PS5 for PSVR2? If so, then good luck. Because, PS5's are still very hard to find and 100% over MSRP.

It would be nice if PSVR2 operated as a hybrid standalone/PS5 wireless device. Similar to Quest 2 that works alone and with PC for better graphics.
It's not standalone, so you will need a PS5 yes. Personally I don't think they will release it till next year now, as their big flat screen PS5 games were delayed also.

mclaren777

I bought one and then convinced two friends to get them, which then led to two more friends getting them.

They basically sell themselves with just a few short demos.

Dural

Bought my 12yo a Quest 2 for Christmas (he asked for it) and I've been really impressed by it. I have a Samsung Odyssey+ but barely use it, partly because of the cord and being attached to a PC, the Quest 2 truly feels next gen being wireless and with the quality of the displays. The lenses in the Odyssey would always fog up, haven't had that issue with the Quest at all.

Romulus

I bought one and then convinced two friends to get them, which then led to two more friends getting them.

They basically sell themselves with just a few short demos.

Thats the thing, there are still people that believe VR is just a screen close to your face. Most inexperienced people believe that lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thats the thing, there are still people that believe VR is just a screen close to your face. Most inexperienced people believe that lol
Yup. Same goes for those who think a tethered cable is fine. They’re VR virgins. Sure the cable tether gives you a sense of what VR feels like, but once you experience the Holodeck sensation of wireless you can’t go back to faking it with a tether.

Romulus

Yup. Same goes for those who think a tethered cable is fine. They’re VR virgins. Sure the cable tether gives you a sense of what VR feels like, but once you experience the Holodeck sensation of wireless you can’t go back to faking it with a tether.

I've been trying to imagine an equal comparison to wireless VR. On paper, it might not seem huge to non VR gamers but it is.

Billbofet

I've been trying to imagine an equal comparison to wireless VR. On paper, it might not seem huge to non VR gamers but it is.
I am excited about the PSVR2, but it is super unfortunate it is tethered. I would give up a level or two of fidelity to be untethered.
Either way, PSVR2 will move the industry forward, and the competition will create faster innovations and features across all platforms.

Aren't there games already out that you can map a massive play area and do a laser tag/paintball like experience?

ManaByte

Gold Member
I am excited about the PSVR2, but it is super unfortunate it is tethered. I would give up a level or two of fidelity to be untethered.
Either way, PSVR2 will move the industry forward, and the competition will create faster innovations and features across all platforms.

Aren't there games already out that you can map a massive play area and do a laser tag/paintball like experience?

Yes, you can set a room scale boundary in the Quest 2. Looks like a red holodeck grid when you approach a virtual wall. The cameras also allow you to specify furniture and object so you don't bump into them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, you can set a room scale boundary in the Quest 2. Looks like a red holodeck grid when you approach a virtual wall. The cameras also allow you to specify furniture and object so you don't bump into them.
Works shockingly well too. I've never bumped into anything in my bedroom, with irregular shapes all over. And whenever you even near the grid, it shows you the outside world on the cameras.

Last edited:

Ammogeddon

Personally I wouldn’t get one second hand unless I can try it out first. I bought a Q2 direct from Oculus which had stuck pixels. Customer support asked for a through lense picture but it was impossible to capture. Thankfully they gave me the benefit of the doubt and let me return it.

Buggy Loop

Guardian is shockingly well made and might set Oculus apart for years to come in quality of life features, especially with space sense coming. Future Quests (and Cambria) also having pass through in color and high resolution, will be really nice for AR but also further guardian features/polish.

Romulus

Really? I did not know that. You can play every PCVR game on it?

Thats a huge reason its so successful. Its basically the switch of VR in terms of mobility and quick accessibility. I can travel and boot it up anytime/anywhere and quick resume my last game if i'm on vacation or whatever. But it can also run maxed out pc vr games.... wirelessly or wired. The headset actually has great resolution specs too even compared to high end headsets.

Humdinger

For wired you can just connect the USB cable to the PC. Wireless needs you to install the Oculus app on the PC, then go into Dev mode on the headset and turn on AirLink and pair it to the PC.
Gotcha, thanks. I'll stick with wired, I think. My PC isn't all that capable. It's about 6 years old. Need to replace it soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom