• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey or Valhalla - now with new and improved poll

So?

• Odyssey

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Valhalla

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Origins

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

dcx4610

I've played them all. Odyssey has a really generic story and cringey writing but the gameplay, locations, graphics and setting are great. Valhalla bored me to tears and they changed the gameplay which feels like a set back. I thought I'd like the Norse stuff but it's been done to death. Odyssey all day.

Skifi28

The Xbox version uses the One X version as a base, which gives it a higher resolution throughout since the One X version was better than the PS4 version.
Ehhh, it's a small resolution difference on a game that has a soft TAA presentation. You'd need to have them side by side and then squint. The differences are in the realm of "you might notice" rather than "much better".

Last edited:

Alebrije

Odyssey is better specially if you like the fantasy goods/ creatures stuff.

Both have big maps to explore but Valhalla exagerates, will take eons to clean all the map.

Finally DLCs are better on Odyssey.

On both prepare to spend time collecting wood and other materials unless you are willing to give Ubi more money for material pscks on its store.

Jaysen

Banned
Ehhh, it's a small resolution difference. You'd need to have them side by side and then squint. The differences are in the realm of "you might notice" rather than "much better".
I noticed it right away. It’s a pretty big difference in clarity.

Sleepwalker

Ehhh, it's a small resolution difference. You'd need to have them side by side and then squint. The differences are in the realm of "you might notice" rather than "much better".

Yeah, Odyssey is more or less the same. But his statement is true for Origins since the one x version of Origins has higher resolution scaling (nearly 4k) meanwhile the ps4 pro version is like 1600p iirc.

Roufianos

Odyssey is one of my favourite games from last gen. Valhalla was an absolute slog, gave up after 5 hours or so.

Origins is the real answer.

I will say Odyssey and Valhalla are different enough to get both. Odyssey kinda doesn't feel like an Assassins Creed game. I enjoy both for a different reason. Valhalla felt a little more slow paced, and back to a more classic AC feel. Odyssey felt like a more action game oriented DLC for Origins

lmao someone said Valhalla is bloated. When i first played Odyssey, i thought it was bloated with same fetch quests and kill this kill that sidequests. Honestly though, i bought Odyssey after my vacation in Greece (which i loved it, btw) and i was surprised by how they managed to capture the overall feel of the islands and beaches. Ngl, i played for the location and setting, i finished the game, enjoyed its island and traversal, story was somewhat intriguing as well, so i definitely would say Odyssey.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Odyssey is a great game, my most played game in 2020 on Xbox according to the museum stats.

I instantly stopped playing Valhalla 50 hours in after a save bug pulled me back 20 hours, I was already disliking almost everything about the game, replaying 20 hours was not an option.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I would personally suggest going for any of the previous games or even Origins over either of the two newer ones. Both Odyssey and Valhalla lack any defining characters as both are written to be as vague as possible to allow for illusion of choice. They don’t really stand out like Ezio or even Bayek.

Plus they are some of the most bloated games I have played in my life. Even MMOs going into their 10th year have less bloat.

Last edited:

Excess

I'm still upset that I can't even get myself to even play more than 2 hours of Valhalla. I 100%'d Origins and completed all of the story of Odyssey.

Also, I have a soft spot for classical antiquity, so that helps. Speaking of which, I wish they had initially followed Origins up with a Roman setting, following Origins, and then followed that up with the prequel known as Odyssey to complete the "trilogy". I was also hoping they were going to connect the orb that Alexander the Great apparently had in Origins with the end of Odyssey, but I digress.

Pagusas

Elden Member
odyssey is my favorite of the trilogy. Egypt is the worst of the locations, but origin is still a good game, just Aniceint Greece is infinity more interesting/prettier/cooler than egypt. also Odyssey has more fun combat.

Odyssey > Origins >>>>>> Valhalla

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I say Odyssey or Origins. Valhalla just never ends. I'm 120 hours in and I still haven't finished the game. The game never ends. It took less time to platinum Origins and finish two DLC packages.

Another thing: Kassandra is just a cool character. I can't say the same thing of Eivor.

Last edited:

MastAndo

Odyssey. I absolutely adored it. Valhalla was alright for a bit, but it eventually just felt like an interesting drag. I never got around to finishing it, though I might give it another shot eventually.

Plantoid

Bought odyssey, first assassin's Creed since brotherhood

Oh, and the bundle came with asscred 3 remaster nice...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I personally loved Odyssey way more than Valhalla. I thought Valhalla would be better since Vikings are cool AF.

the combat is less fun, the leveling and gear way worse, and transmog is a joke.

Odyssey suffers from poor performance. It really chugged on a rtx 2080 for me. 60fps is a must for this IMO.

I played all of Odyssey and whilst it was still quite bloated, the setting was awesome and I liked the protagonist (I’d recommend playing as the woman, she’s feisty as hell and fun to play). It took around 35 hours for me to finish it with some messing around with side quests and activities.

I bought Valhalla and probably played a couple of hours. It seems good but I know how extensive that play through is going to be and just to push through the main quest is 50+ hours I’ve heard. Protagonist feels like a massive downgrade too.

I recommend Odyssey, if you’re on Series X (maybe PS5 too?) then it also got a next gen upgrade.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I liked Odyssey a lot better. Maybe I was just burned out of AC with Valhalla, but it felt so tedious and more repetitive. Also, the environments in Odyssey were so much more fun to explore and were absolutely gorgeous. Valhalla is dreary and depressing in comparison. Liked the story and side characters better in Odyssey too.

Valhalla is less repetitive, has much better world design and better writing and characters.
Odyssey is literally a grid map with equidistant points of interest. The magnetic mercenaries are fucking horrible too.

Bragr

Banned
Both games have the story of a potato. And both games are extremely bloated. The problem is that Valhalla has all the bloat strapped to the main missions, so you have to endure it whereas with Odyssey it's a bit easier to ignore it.

Valhalla looks a lot better and runs well on the new consoles, which means a lot when you stare at it as much as you do. On the old consoles, it runs like mud running up a hill.

Both these games have a lot of the same flaws, I don't think it means too much either way which you choose.

Oberstein

My opinion of Odyssey has evolved: it's really good, particularly if you compare it to Valhalla.

On paper, Valhalla was supposed to be amazing and yet they managed to screw it up.Even the naval sequences are completely messed up to the point where you don't even try to travel across the map by boat.
Having played it again recently, Odyssey is a breath of fresh air. The actress who doubles as Kassandra did an excellent job.

Hinedorf

Banned
I enjoyed and finished Odyssey, I deleted Valhalla with 2-3 repetitive zones to do.

Probably more meat in Valhalla, better overall package in Odyssey

makaveli60

Valhalla, no contest. It has unique side missions and is a decent upgrade over Origins in many sense while Odyssey is a bloated, reskinned Origins SJW abomination

Oberstein

The animations have regressed in Valhalla, particularly the facial expressions.. And for a 2018 game, Odyssey hasn't aged that much.

e49d62d6-7321-48c7-b503-e2e73f012bd8

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f613838575858547734536a3744413d3d2d3731383939373736312e313539353235316234613435363737303431393034383830343039342e676966

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Well, the OP already decided, but if I had to pick one I would also go with VALHALLA. It takes itself more seriously than ODYSSEY but there's something about it that feels tighter. You do lose A TON of the customization from ACO, but the skill tree in ACV I liked better than ACO. Also ACV has a lot of stuff to do in between doing the main stuff (I love solo raiding).

Stuart360

Odyssey was my game of last gen, especially when including the fantastic dlc.
Valhalla is a good entry in the series, but i think Odyssey was a better 'game' in every way.

Kenpachii

Valhalla main game is more complete, DLC's ( first one is fine, second one is dog shit )
Origin, good main game + good dlc's
Odyssey, meh main game ( builds are the best in the game tho ), good atlantis dlc.

n1 origin
n2 odyssey atlantis dlc, but main game was more interesting locations for me
n3 valhalla, main problem valhalla was last dlc being shit and combat being a downgrade from odyssey and enviroments where more of the samey + architecture was kinda meh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom