• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odyssey or Valhalla - now with new and improved poll

So?

• Odyssey

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Valhalla

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Origins

Votes: 10 35.7%

• Total voters

GymWolf

Origins without a doubt.

The only thing odissey does better is kassandra but bayek is cool too (a bit of a beta simp with his wife tho)

Combat is trash in all 3 but i think origins has the less shitty one.

Main plot and side characters are trash in all 3 tbh, odissey and valhalla start better but they become a complete slog after a while.

Also egypt is by far the better location that doesn't look copy and paste and has a strong identity.

Don't think even for a moment that the sequels are more refined, they just just add a lot of half hassed mechanics and controls are the same (if i remember well parkour is also slightly better on origins but not sure about that)

Last edited:

Skifi28

Don't think even for a moment that the sequels are more refined, they just just add a lot of half hassed mechanics and controls are the same.
My main issue with origins was how empty it was. After the initial areas, half the map has no quests and gives you no reason to visit it.

GymWolf

My main issue with origins was how empty it was. After the initial areas, half the map has no quests and gives you no reason to visit it.
Odissey and valhalla have bigger maps with a lot of nothing in them aswell.

I really don't remeber origins being that much worse but sidequest in odissey were utter crap, so not having an infinite number of them in origins is not really a big flaw to me (sidequest also sucks in origins).

Last edited:

Paasei

Odyssey, surprisingly enough, had a story that's pretty good. Also Kassansdra is cool and the combat is the best of the 3, imo. Cool ways to make some actual character builds. Not as amazing as you might expect, but at least it's there.

Drizzlehell

Banned
after having recently been in your situation, I strongly prefered odyssey. Its less bloated and has a better story.
The opinions I heard say completely the opposite - that Odyssey is bloated and Valhalla is much better.

I haven't played either yet but I guess "bloated" is how you could describe literally every Ubisoft game and it's just a matter of preference which one you'll like better. Probably the setting is the only meaningful factor here.

Fools idol

Banned
The opinions I heard say completely the opposite - that Odyssey is bloated and Valhalla is much better.

I haven't played either yet but I guess "bloated" is how you could describe literally every Ubisoft game and it's just a matter of preference which one you'll like better. Probably the setting is the only meaningful factor here.
how anyone could say valhalla is less bloated than odyssey baffles my mind. I would say 80% of the content is just filler.

MikeM

Odyssey.

Valhalla just does not end. 85hours in and still have tons of stuff to do (mainly side quest stuff).

cormack12

Gold Member
Origins is the best.

I preferred Valhalla. Odyssey is a pain in the ass island hopping, and the main storyline (not the Atlantis arc or the cultists) is snooze inducing. Odyssey and Valhalla are both bloated but Odyssey is more fatiguing. At least the side quests and pagan charms are done in a couple of minutes rather than drawn out neeedlessly.

Saucy Papi

Odyssey by far. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Valhalla and I've completed every Assassin's Creed prior (and loved them).

thegame983

Odyssey.

Valhalla is not good

Although Origins has the most interesting setting, but gameplay is better in Odyssey

Last edited:

GymWolf

I never understood this one.
it’s just trailing missions and terrible story
People love pirates, i didn't even tried it since he had the same shitty combat of the previous ones and no tropical location can make me forgive that.

Odyssey >>>>>>>> Valhalla

edit: as a person who played all AC games, I'll explain a bit why. No spoilers. Valhalla has the right ingredients and is certainly more focused HOWEVER that also makes it more uninteresting. The raid mechanic is pretty bad, and I think anyone can confirm that. On the other hand Odyssey ship battle mechanic is fantastic, not as good as AC4's epic ship battles but it has its moments when you have to fight many ships and cultists. Odyssey wins in the special gameplay gimmick. So lets talk about looting as I said, Valhalla is more focused and looting is less, diablo/rpg-like and more generic/boring as in there are very few sets of items scattered all around england but the catch is, you can upgrade them and they change visually as well as in stats however if you decide to focus on one build such as stealth, or tank or whatever, you'll be spending the entire game with just one set which ultimately makes exploration boring af. They tried to diminish the tedium by adding unique quests around the map which I admit are random and funny but at some point after half the game they as well get boring. Odyssey has a ton of loot compared to Valhalla and not only that but you'll most likely be always changing it. It feels like they took inspiration from Witcher/Borderlands and made their own thing so if looting is your thing, then Odyssey is superior. The atmosphere is hugely debatable and it comes down to this if you like exotic places Odyssey is better. They both are visually gorgeous tho but at the end of the day, going in your boat exploring random mysterious islands fighting on the sea, is superior to just raiding churches over and over. I mean how the fuck can u make a biking game and not have a strong focus on ships and that? Ridiculous. The story without spoiling much is again, something you'll have to decide for yourself but Odyssey is less focused story game in the sense that the game is...well...an odyssey lol, an adventure a, like in the books, while Valhalla is pretty much copy pasted from viking tv shows and what not with generic twists. I just did not like the story at all and there's so MUCH filler story, it never ends dude. When ppl tell you that Vallhalla never ends, they do not exaggerate. Odyssey is like 80 hours including DLC. Valhalla is twice as long and no, it never gets better or more interesting. Combat and stealth they're all similar, with Valhalla feeling a bit more tight, souls-like, heavier to control compare to Odyssey which feels more floaty, like Witcher. I think bosses in Valhalla are better tho.

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Odyssey or Valhalla.

Peeps:

Origins!

Black Flag!

simon cowell facepalm GIF

b0uncyfr0

Valhalla is by far the worst in the trilogy (Origins being the best). Ubi seem to think bloat = quality.

Origins and Odyssey were already bloated, to begin with. They're not going in a good direction.

Certinty

Odyssey by a mile. It's bloated and the side quests (which are pretty much mostly mandatory) are repetitive but for the main part it's not too bad.

Valhalla just doesn't respect a player's time, the story which is repetitive and shit is a good 10x longer than it ever has any right of being. Horrible game.

Arachnid

Origins without a doubt.

The only thing odissey do better is kassandra but bayek is cool too (a bit of a beta simp tho)

Combat is trash in all 3 but i think origins has the less shitty one.

Main plot and side characters are trash in all 3 tbh, odissey and valhalla start better but they become a complete slog after a while.

Also egypt is by far the better location that doesn't look copy and paste and has a strong identity.

Don't think even for a moment that the sequels are more refined, they just just add a lot of half hassed mechanics and controls are the same (if i remember well parkour is also slightly better on origins but not sure about that)
This is the right answer. If you haven't played Origins, I'd suggest it over both Odyssey and Valhalla. Odyssey and Valhalla are a little closer, but I'd take Valhalla here.

Odyssey was one of the worst ACs imo. Terrible story, terrible stealth, super samey locations, cringe humor with all around awful characters. Everyone saying Valhalla is bloated sounds like they have it mixed up with Odyssey. The world in Odyssey is bigger and filled with the same sidequests. Valhalla, at the very least, has more variety in sidequests.

EDIT: Metro is better than both, so I wont fault your choice there. You'll enjoy Exodus.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Banned
I guess platform matters. Odyssey on Series X is much better than Odyssey on PS5. Valhalla is the opposite, better on PS5 than Series X. As far as just the games go, I loved Odyssey and only liked Valhalla. Play as Kassandra, btw.

Last edited:

Fbh

Odyssey.
Nicer setting and not as bloated (still bloated though)

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

I'm playing valhalla now, and I'm having a really good time, I definitely prefer the more engaging combat of valhalla and the raiding is fun.
Odyssey has the better setting and cooler mythology though, I also prefer kassandra over eivor; story wise Odyssey is also pretty significant for the overall AC story, so you'll miss out on a lot if you just jump in on valhalla.

Oh I also miss the awesome ship combat from Odyssey.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
You honestly can’t go wrong with either. Odyssey is the better game overall, but Valhalla is far more interesting to me in terms of the history covered.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I'm playing through Odyssey right now for the first time and I absolutely adore this game. I quit Valhalla like 20 hours in. Will dive back after I play Origins.

Grab Odyssey with the DLC and you'll be set for a long time, the game is awesome.

Top Bottom