• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFF THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD - What are your top 20 games and why?

Leo9

Kotor 1, 2
Starcraft 1,2
Homeworld 1,2
Haegemonia: Legions of Iron
Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
Mass Effect 1,2,3
Dragon Age;: Origins
X2: The threat,
X3: Reunion.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm not gonna list individual games in a series because that would feel redundant, so I'm just gonna list the name of the franchise where applicable, or a specific game from the series that was more important for me than the others. That should be enough. The TOP 5 is kinda in order, but after that it's just random titles that popped into my head:

1. Doom
2. Silent Hill
3. Mass Effect
4. Homeworld
5. Knights of The Old Republic
6. Halo
7. Dragon Age
8. Return To Castle Wolfenstein
9. Quake
10. Alien Isolation
11. Need For Speed Underground
12. Grand Theft Auto 3
13. Jedi Knight 2
14. The Witcher 3
15. Uncharted
16. Metal Gear Solid
17. W40k Dawn of War
18. Fallout 3
19. Bioshock
20. Call of Duty

These are all games that somehow influenced me over the years or resonate with me on an emotional level. Not necessarily because of the writing and the story but for various reasons that would be too long to list. But just as an example, Doom series has always been hugely influential for me in terms of my gaming tastes, as well as learning about game design, serving as an inspirational success story for the company that made it, or just being so damn fun. To the point where I could fire up any Doom game at any time and have a blast with it 100% of the time. The latter is true for pretty much any game/series in this list.

Contrast that with a series like Silent Hill that resonated with me primarily due to how expertly it manipulated you on a psychological level to instil a sense of dread and scare the fuck out of you. Silent Hill 2 was also a very emotional experience for my teenage self, and I remember falling in love with the series to the point of obsession. It's also significant because it helped me find a community of like-minded people, many of which I'm still friends with to this day. It started out with passionate discussions about the lore behind the series on some small message board in a forgotten corner of the internet, but in time it bloomed into one of the seminal periods of my life. And all this thanks to a little PS1 game that could...

Last edited:

mxbison

In no order:

Street Fighter 2
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic
Fallout
Half-Life
Dota 2
WoW Vanilla
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawk 3
Valkyria Chronicles
The Last of Us 2
God of War 3
Uncharted 2
Hades
Persona 5 Royal
Cup Head
Rayman Legends
Assassins Creed 2
Batman Arkham Asylum
Half-Life: Alyx
Astro Bot: Resuce Mission

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No particular order:

Tetris (GB version)
Super Mario Bros 3
Mega Man 3
Monkey Island
Alien Breed: Special Edition
Lotus Turbo Challenge 2
Street Fighter 2
Doom
Mortal Kombat 2
Metal Gear Solid
Gran Turismo 3: V-Spec
Burnout 3: Takedown
GTA: Vice City
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
Gears of War 2
Fable 2
Halo Reach
Destiny
Apex Legends
Returnal

supernova8

Banned
These are not really in order, just off the top of my head the few games I enjoyed enough to either play through to completion or play for many many hours than other games (I usually have a low attention span). Also I'll count games in the same series as "one" to fit more games into the 20:

01. Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2
02. Wind Waker
03. Pokemon Red/Blue
04. Gran Turismo 3/4
05. Breath of Fire
06. Advanced Wars 2
07. Full Spectrum Warrior
08. Tekken Tag Tournament
09. Broken Sword
10. FIFA 2001
11. Perfect Dark
12. Half Life 2
13. Constructor
14. Republic: the Revolution
15. World of Warcraft (the original and up to maybe Lich King)
16. Dark Age of Camelot
17. Grand Theft Auto 3
18. Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 4
19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
20. Counter Strike Source

(I get the feeling nobody is actually reading each other's list so seems a bit pointless but hey)

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
Without much thought going in this will be my list

1. TLoZ: OoT
  2. Paper Mario
  3. TLoZ: MM
  4. Super Mario 64
  5. Resident Evil
  6. Halo 2
  7. Shadow of the Colossus
  8. Mario Party 2
  9. Mario Kart 64
  10. Resident Evil 4
  11. Super Mario Sunshine
  12. GTA: Vice City
  13. GTA: San Andreas
  14. Halo 3
  15. Super Mario RPG
  16. SSX Tricky
  17. Yoshi's Story
  18. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater
  19. TLoZ: BotW
  20. TLoZ: TWW

k_trout

death stranding
system shock 2
deus ex
nier automata
generation zero
inside
portal 2
oblivion
machinarium
alien isolation
stalker soc
half life 2
hl alyx
doom 3
quantum break
counter strike source
halo 1 ctf
crysis
hellblade
xevious

in no particular order

I'll stick to Pc this time:

Dungeon Keeper 1 + 2
Starcraft
Command and Conquer Series
Emperor: Battle for Dune
Theme Hospital
World of Warcraft
Zoo Tycoon 1+2
Forza Horizon 5
Day of the Tentacle
Sam and Max
Total War Series
Monkey Island 1-3
Chivalry
Blake Stone
Evil Genious
Blood
Shadow Warrior 1
Duke 3D
Doom 1+2
Wolfenstein Series

Last edited:
There are so many games I've left out but stuck to off the top of my head -

1. Halo 2, literal gaming crack. I was so addicted.

2. Apex Legends, gaming meth. I am addicted.

3. Mario 64, changed everything.

4. Destiny, best PvE game going.

5. Forza Horizon 5, this is how you execute on developing a fun game to supreme polish.

6. Rayman Legends, simply one of the best platformers ever to play coop and I/family have revisted for years and years.

7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, needs no introduction.

8. Street Fighter II Turbo, the real first game to be in the arcade and at home on consoles to blow up your gaming life. What a game.

9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, so many stoner days with friends taking turns and killing each others combos and high scores day after day.

10. Mario Kart 64, 4 player couch mayhem and so many sore arms and friends made. If you didn't play MK64 you didn't enter our house back then.

11. DOOM 2016, I'd post DOOM or Wolfenstein for their innovation in the gaming landscape but DOOM 2016 is something else and just shows how great an update to timeless games can be. The pinnacle DOOM on display.

12. Star Wars Fallen Order, engaging, fun mechanics, solid story and just super fun with things not overstaying their welcome in any game elements e.g. planet environment, boss battle, mechanics, backtracking, enemies. It all just flows so well and it executed incredibly well.

13. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, being a pirate the game. ACIV just drips atmosphere from the ship's hull to the sunsets and seeing an island/village to attacking a fort while just wishing to go sailing and listen to another sea shanty. Jaw droppingly good.

14. Deus Ex: Human Revolution, another fine example of modernising a brilliant game original and executing so very well. Awesome game world.

15. Max Payne 3, the attitude and mechanics interplay so well with Max.

16. Goldeneye 007, I know you can hear the music as soon as you read this.

17. Cuphead, what a passion project and so unique in the gaming world. A tough competitor to play but so rewarding. Hella fun in coop too.

18. Command & Conquer: Red Alert, the classic RTS.

19. MS Flight, my daughter and I just love going for flights around the world. A masterpiece.

20. Pac-man, pure gaming design and fun gameplay that stands the test of time and always will.

Special mentions for leaving them out:
GTAV, TIE Fighter, King's Quest, Baldur's Gate II, Perfect Dark, Diablo II, Tetris, TMNT arcade, Simpsons arcade, Top Spin 4, Mechwarrior 2, Wave Race 64, Halo 3, Banjo Kazooie, SMB3, Speedball II, KOTOR, BFII

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

9. Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2

King's Quest, TMNT arcade, Simpsons arcade, Top Spin 4, Wave Race 64

respect GIF by Jaz Dhami

Kaachan

No particular order for this list

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy IX
Suikoden II
Chrono Trigger
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
Monster Hunter Rise
Shadow of the Colossus
Secret of Mana
Demon's Souls Remake
Okami
Half-Life 2
Onimusha 2: Samurai's Destiny
Resident Evil 4
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind 15
NieR: Auotmata
Heroes of Might & Magic III
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Paper Mario

Ellery

Disclaimer : I only pick one entry of my favorite series for this list. Otherwise I would end up with two or three gaming franchises that hold multiple positions in this list and bloat it. I also didn't include multiplayer games since it is extremely hard to rank them properly compared to single player games.

1) The Last of Us Part II

af88fa6a2190193aaa571b2802941c0f.jpg

My personal best game of all time. After two decades a game finally was able to overtake Final Fantasy VIII and Zelda Ocarina of Time which I thought was nearly impossible. At some point you have to realize that gaming feels different when you are older and more mature. The magic of being 10 years old and discovering the greatness of Video games can't be repeated. But TLOU2 was just the most impressive achievement in video game I've evern seen and even with nostalgia googles on I had to be open minded about the absolute masterpiece that this game is.
The technical side and animations of this game is basically perfect including the accessibility options for a wide variety of gamers was an absolute breakthrough and I am glad that Naughty Dog went the extra mile to make this enjoyable for as many gamers as possible. It was heartwarming to see youtube videos of blind people being able to enjoy the game.
The emotional side, story, voice acting and gameplay were top notch. A bold sequel that doesn't play it safe and ruins itself in stagnation like many other franchises that have become formulaic and boring like assembly line work.
After playing The Last of Us it is hard to get into another game for a while. The same happened to me in 2013 and 2020. Not easy to follow that up for any game and it shows the big difference in talent between Naughty Dog and other studios.
The one thing I have to critize is the pacing. The game could've been a little bit cleaner. It is quite big with 30+ hours for a wide linear game.

2) Final Fantasy VIII

cBDVyPMv5tjUYUUGZwWglM_yEi96KEzR9u_q_OUGAbE.jpg

It wouldn't have matter much which Final Fantasy entry I put in here since whether it is VI, VII, VIII, XI or X there are so many fantastic Final Fantasy games from the golden era that are 10/10 games which take you on an amazing journey to be immersed in.
Final Fantasy 8 is my personal favorite and the OST is one of the big reasons for it. It is still the very best soundtrack of any video game I've ever listened to. Balamb garden and experiencing this world as a SeeD was one of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life and it was on my top spot for 20 years.

3) The Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time

Ocarina-Title-Screen1.jpg

When it comes to the best video games of all time it is impossible to ignore Zelda OoT. It rightly deserves to be the top spot on many lists and the influence of this game doesn't need to be emphasized any further. And on top of that there is also Majora's Mask for the Nintendo 64 which is nearly equally as impressive for a lot of different reasons. A game with a lot more depth than people give it credit for and one of the most underrated gems in video game history.
Christmas time plus a new Zelda game in 1998. It doesn't get much better than this.

4) Silent Hill 2

9d0e2fb6044868bca083f209194bc40d.jpg

The true masterpiece of gaming. The one game that I think basically everyone loves, but it still being underrated and doesn't get enough praise for the absolute genius that went into designing it. When I first played it and was a lot younger I wasn't quite sure what it all meant, but playing it again and again over the years and diving deeper into it and understanding it is where the true masterclass of this game lies. Back then it was still an amazing game, but now that I understand it I fully appreciate it. A must play game that rewards you tenfold for playing it again and again and taking it all in.

5) Dark Souls

HD-wallpaper-dark-souls-art-firelink-shrine-knight-landscape-tablet-thumbnail.jpg

FROM Software is probably the most influential developer of the last decade when it comes to amazing gameplay and combat. A revolutionary break from many other games of that time which tried to establish quick time events and other nonsense. They have an amazing track record whether it is Sekiro, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1-3 or Demon's Souls. Miyazaki is the man and I love him very much. It showed that he wasn't the director for Dark Souls 2.
Dark Souls ultimately takes the top spot over Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Bloodborne for me, because of the level design, size and variety. The benchmark for how the feedback for combat should feel.

6) Metal Gear Solid

It pains me to only put this on six since MGS is probably the gaming series that I love most and I worship Kojima. So many excellent games in that series and I include V to that, because there is too much surface level hate for MGS V from people that don't understand the meaning of that game. In a top list of so many 10/10 games it seems to be ranked low, but I basically appreciate MGS 2 and 3 as much as I do 1.

7) Super Mario 64

Too many great Mario games and I have to play a couple of them including Odyssey. Gabe Newell's favorite game is an all time game and cements the N64 as one of the console with absolute masterpiece games that will still be relevant for generations to come.

8) God of War 2018

During a time where I felt that games wouldn't make me feel like they did back then I was wronged by God of War. What an absolute astonishing game that doesn't set a foot wrong and made it clear that the PS4 generation had so many great exclusive games which kept getting better with each year. Can't wait for Ragnarok next year.

9) Resident Evil 2

This was one of the hardest picks for me since I do love so many entries of this franchise. The original playstation games are my favorites, but the remakes are amazing too and for many RE4 is one of the greatest games of all time. While I don't agree with that since I love the fixed camera angle tank controls from the PS1, I do have to agree that it is a great even though it was the beginning of the end for those older games. They are still going strong with 7 and 8 and we do kinda have to forget 5 and 6.

10) The Witcher 3

Open world and DLC done right. It was extremely easy to immerse and spent many hours on this game. It never felt like a chore, a problem many open world games battle with, and the DLC was a great example of how you should add content to your game.

11) Portal 2

I love puzzle games and this is probably the best one. At least on top of my head. I desperately want another Portal game.

12) Half Life 2

Revolutionary PC game and each time it is being mentioned the pain of now having a proper third one hurts more.

13) Mass Effect 2

SciFi space opera with great gameplay and story. Love it and hope to have some time soon to play through the Legendary Edition.

14) Slay The Spire

Genius roguelike card game that is extremely rewarding and addictive. Just one more run to finally beat Ascension 20.

15) Hollow Knight

It took me a long time to finally play it, but it was well worth it. Great combat and gameplay in a beautifully created world. Hope to get some Silksong news soon.

16) Uncharted 4

They finally improved the A.I. so combat and stealth feel much better. On top of that an amazing story to the most mature entry of the series. I love all the Uncharted games, but Neil Druckmann gave this game a lot more substance. Feels good to play, looks beautiful and kept me interested throughout. Great game. Same goes for The Lost Legacy.

17) GTA Vice City

I spent countless hours cruising in this game and listening to the music. Maybe it is not as good as San Andreas or V, but for me personally I spent quality time with this game.

18) Tony Hawk' Pro Skater 2

My very first tendinitis from gaming. That says enough about this game. Great times we had back then trying to beat each other's highscores.

19) Bioshock

Brilliant atmosphere in an interesting world that keeps you well entertained and admiring.

20) Ori And The Blind Forest

I 100%'d both Ori games and this beautiful game keeps on delivering. One of many games of the last 5-10 years that give me high hopes that we get good games in a world where many bid budget AAA games start to struggle for quality.

Rubicaant

EverQuest
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
LoZ:Ocarina of Time
Soldiers of Fortune II
Call of Duty 4:MW
BioShock Infinite
The Witcher 3
Dark Souls
Metal Gear Solid
Portal 2
Star Wars Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
Super Mario World
Contra 3
Aliens Vs. Predator 2
Tekken 3
Tenchu: Stealth Assassins

Mostly they are the best games because they are the games i played as a kid. Nostalgia is funny that way.

RetroAV

Although I love both Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy 6, there's no way I can give the edge to Chrono Trigger. Fighting Lavos over and over and over again...I just got tired of it. Chrono is still great, but Final Fantasy 6>Chrono Trigger.

Super Mario 64 - This game not only inspired just about everything that came after it, it informed 3D game design as a whole. It's remarkable that Nintendo didn't just make a competent translation of Mario to 3D, they fucking nailed it on their first try. It's as important to the history of video games as the original Mario Bros imo. Never has a game felt like such a gigantic leap from one generation to the next. Sometimes I feel like I'm still playing video games purely because I'm chasing the feeling this game gave me when I first experienced it.

Shenmue - This game really stretched the boundaries of what the medium was capable of. It feels dated now, but it pushed the industry forward as much as any other game at the time. I bought and played through it shortly after launch and I'll probably never play it again. It was a special experience and I think I need to preserve that memory as it was.

Super Mario Galaxy - Galaxy is perfect. Nothing about this game should have worked. Mario in outerspace? Manuevering Mario around 3D spheres with a fucking nunchuck and remote? Bizarre physics and camera angles that are almost nausea inducing? Nothing about this game is conventional and yet, it not only works, it's maybe, the best 3D platformer game ever made. Nintendo swung for the fences here and that's when they're at their best.

Mega Man 2 - This one is hard to articulate why it's so special. Mega Man 2 is not exceptional in that the level design is pretty simplistic. The bosses are not crazy difficult. It's visually inferior to some of the later MM games on NES. You can really breeze through it if you know what you're doing. With all that said, to me it's Mega Man in it's best/purest form. It's simplistic like the original without the insane difficulty and more interesting levels. It doesn't hurt that it has one of the best soundtracks ever.

Chrono Trigger - Not a lot to be said about this one. Chrono Trigger nails every aspect of a great RPG - story, characters, dialogue, battle system, etc. The story moves along at a brisk pace and can be completed rather quickly. Chrono Trigger is the perfect RPG with all the fat trimmed off.

Virtua Tennis - In typical Sega fashion, they took a very simple concept and made it incredibly deep yet accessible. This is still the gold standard of tennis games. Sega released several sequels and none of them have touched the original. I still to this day cannot beat the final challenge in the world tour mode, yet I'm still playing through it annually and I will probably never stop.

Castlevania SoTN - Super Metroid set the standard and SoTN elevated the genre to another level - Larger map, more enemies, voice acting, experience system, more items, etc. Several have come close, but none have achieved the level of SoTN.

Donkey Kong 94 (GameBoy) - Donkey Kong 94 throws you for a loop - It quickly goes from the original 3 levels of arcade Donkey Kong, into a really challenging puzzle platformer. There's 50+ levels here and the game is constantly throwing new mechanics at you. It's an incredibly challenging and unique take on my favorite arcade game of all time.

Fallout 3 - I will never get tired of wandering the wasteland.

Super Mario Bros 3 - Super Mario World is overrated.
Nice list. Though SotN is IMO a little overrated. Castle is too backtracky on top of having too many long corridors. Aria/Dawn of Sorrow cut the fat. Super Metroid meanwhile had far better progression and gave lots of shortcuts.

I'll include brief reasons as it would take way too long otherwise.

1. Ninja Gaiden Black (XBox) - It's the perfect action game. Great combat, controls, levels, aesthetic, and sublime music.
2. Morrowind - GOTY Edition (XBox) - This was previously my favorite game ever. It might still be. Probably clocked over 1,000 hours.
3. Deus-Ex (PC) - See: avatar. JCD is a badass. Great story and amazing music. Great freedom.
4. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo/HDR (PC/XBLA) - My crowning achievement in gaming as I have beaten some famous players before.
5. Star Wars: KOTOR (XBox) - Still the best plot twist in gaming.
6. Ultra Street Fighter IV (X360/PS4) - I really didn't like the focus attack at first but the whole game REALLY grew on me. Also, it has Dee-Jay.
7. Nioh (PS4) - Spent about 500 hours grinding for loot.
8. Dragon Age: Origins (X360) - Just a superb RPG. I miss this style of RPG games.
9. Street Fighter X Tekken (X360) - Possibly the best roster in a fighting game ever.
10. Donkey Kong Country (SNES) - My favorite platformer.
11. Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (N64) - Another timeless wrestling game.
12. Shenmue 2 (XBox) - A real adventure. Amazing music, story, and one of the best bromances in gaming.
13. Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - The essential third-person action title. I beat it at least 5 times.
14. Super Mario World (SNES) - Its a perfect platformer and still holds up.
15. Perfect Dark (N64) - The controls have aged poorly but the gameplay still holds up.
16. Yakuza 2 (PS2) - I love the story.
17. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (XBO) - I've never seen a game with better attention to detail.
18. Super Mario 64 (N64) - I still remember playing it for the first time.
19. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SNES) - Another perfect platformer.
20. WWF No Mercy (N64) - A timeless wrestling game that is still amazing.

There are so many games that could easily make this list. And really, up until making this list I had Morrowind as my #1. It might still be, I don't know.

Play the Baldur's Gate series and Planescape: Torment if you haven't already.

Last edited:
Mass Effect 2
Street Fighter 2: CE
Baldur's Gate
Civilization 2
Super Mario Brothers

X-com (original)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Planescape: Torment
Superhot VR
Halo 2

Last of Us
Metal Gear Solid
God of War (PS4)
Joust
Unreal Tournament

Half-life
Injustice 2
Amplitude
Twisted Metal 2
Max Payne

Deus Ex (original)
Mortal Kombat 9
Super Mario Maker
Ms. Pac Man
Assassin's Creed 2

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Although I love both Chrono Trigger & Final Fantasy 6, there's no way I can give the edge to Chrono Trigger. Fighting Lavos over and over and over again...I just got tired of it. Chrono is still great, but Final Fantasy 6>Chrono Trigger.
FF6 is just a series of vignettes running together. There's no real cohesion with the story and characters.

Can't wait for the pixel remaster, though! It should be interesting.

MiguelItUp

No particular order

DOOM
Quake
Quake 2
Jedi Knight Outcast
Half Life
Super Metroid
Super Mario 64
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Demon's Souls Remake
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War (PS4)
Twisted Metal Black
Dead Space
Silent Hill 2
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Bioshock
Fallout 3

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Super Mario World 2
Sonic
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Super Mario Bros Delux
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye
Majoras Mask
Super Smash Bros
SSX Tricky
Metal Gear Solid 2
Halo 2
GTA 3
Twilight Princess
COD4
Skyward Sword
MGS4
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Mass Effect 3
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 2
Bad Company 2
God of War 3
Uncharted 4
Breath of the Wild
Hitman
Batman Arkham Knight
Star Wars Battlefront
Yakuza Zero
Ghost Recon Wildlands
Amnesia
Final Fantasy 7 remake
Cyberpunk
Immortals Fynix Rising
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Death Stranding

JT14

Banned
My top 3 of all time

Halo Master chief collection
The Witcher 3
Mass Effect 2

The rest in any order

Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Gears Of War 3
God Of War PS4
Spider-Man PS4
Tekken 3
Yakuza 0
Gears 5
Resident Evil Remake
Monster Hunter Rise
Control Ultimate Edition
Fire Emblem Three Houses
Super Mario Odyssey
Metal Gear Solid PS1
Resident Evil 2 remake
No More Heroes 3
Metal Gear Solid 2
DOOM 2016

My list changes but these games in particular I LOVE playing them like I legit played with a smile on my face, when a game does that, it's my favorite of all time

Tams

Gold Member
  1. Mini Ninjas
  2. Mini Ninjas
  3. NOLF
  4. Mini Ninjas
  5. Mini Ninjas
  6. Mini Ninjas
  7. Mini Ninjas
  8. Mini Ninjas
  9. Mini Ninjas
  10. Mini Ninjas
  11. Mini Ninjas
  12. Mini Ninjas
  13. Mini Ninjas
  14. Mini Ninjas
  15. Mini Ninjas
  16. Mini Ninjas
  17. Mini Ninjas
  18. Mini Ninjas
  19. Mini Ninjas
  20. Mini Ninjas

Last edited:

DarkTom

Of the top of my head

Perfect Dark
Super Mario bros 3
Ocarina of Time
PES4
Rocket League
Beyond Good & Evil
TLOU
Super Mario 64
Rayman Origins
The Wonderful 101
Goldeneye 007
Final Fantasy X
Mario Kart 64
Halo CE
Banjo Tooie
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Breath of the Wild
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
Fifa 13
Tekken 3

In no particular order based on fun, play time, memorable moments, inventive gameplay and game complexity.

1. Sleeping Dogs
2. UFC Undisputed 3
3. Ghost of Tsushima
4. Yakuza 1
5. Dark Souls
6. Nioh 2
7. Dynasty Warriors 2
8. Final Fantasy 8
9. Onimusha 1
10. Resident Evil 2
11. Pokémon Stadium
12. Super Mario 64
13. Zone of the Enders
14. Metal Gear Solid 1
15. Total War: Shogun 2
16. Counterstrike 1
17. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 1
18. Dragon Ball Z: Kyôshū! Saiyan
19. Jet Li: Rise to Honor
20. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs

Tams

Gold Member
In no particular order based on fun, play time, memorable moments, inventive gameplay and game complexity.

1. Sleeping Dogs
2. UFC Undisputed 3
3. Ghost of Tsushima
4. Yakuza 1
5. Dark Souls
6. Nioh 2
7. Dynasty Warriors 2
8. Final Fantasy 8
9. Onimusha 1
10. Resident Evil 2
11. Pokémon Stadium
12. Super Mario 64
13. Zone of the Enders
14. Metal Gear Solid 1
15. Total War: Shogun 2
16. Counterstrike 1
17. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 1
18. Dragon Ball Z: Kyôshū! Saiyan
19. Jet Li: Rise to Honor
20. Battletoads in Battlemaniacs
I wish Sleeping Dogs on PC would support concurrent X-input and DirectInput. I use a joystick for movement and a mouse to look/aim in most games, but it's a no go in Sleeping Dogs.

And which version, original or the definitive edition?

Last edited:
Off the top of my head, in order of spontaneity. No cheating, no honourable mention.

1. The Wonderful 101
Wonderful_101_box_artwork.jpg

When I tried the demo on Wii U, I realised I was gradually getting hooked by this game. I ended up buying it, and oh boy. That game gave me the most exhilarating moments of my gaming life.

2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Link%27s_Awakening.png

When I was a child, I had the Zelda Game&Watch game. But it was everything I knew about the franchise. One day at my birthday, I got that game. I was expecting 2D battles with a gobelin, a few skeletons and a dragon. At first I was a bit disappointed to play that top-down view game with cute graphics. But I gave it a chance, and I actually struggled to get to the sword on the beach. But that moment was so epic it marked me for life. The sense of adventure, the riddles, the dungeons, the characters, the weapons... Everything was exciting in that game, till the very end. It made me love the Zelda franchise.

3. Super Mario World
Super_Mario_World_Coverart.png

Nothing special about it, it was just awesome. Yoshi's Island was even better, but you know, I completely forgot about it when making my list up.

4. The Witness
The_Witness_cover.jpg

Don't listen to people who speak about this game. Just play it. Bliss.

5. Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey_Kong_Land_2_Coverart.jpg

I could have said Donkey Kong Country 2 as well of course, but Donkey Kong Land 2 has a special place in my life. I had loaned Donkey Kong Land to a friend, who lost it. To rectify his mistake, he bought me that game. I didn't even know it existed. What a surprise! I immediately loved it.

6. Donkey Kong Country Returns
Donkeykongcountryreturns.jpg

That game is platforming at its best. Tropical Freeze was even better, but the challenge was bigger for DKCR given the Wii's capacities and limitations. Enjoyable gameplay, even and especially with the nunchuk. Trying to speedrun some levels was really challenging. The mirror mode was a fun addition too.

7. Inside
INSIDE_Xbox_One_cover_art.png

Not a word. You are plunged into this dystopic world entirely built up through the creepy setting. The gameplay is flawless. Really a striking experience.

8. Starwing
boite-600x400.jpg

Ribbit ribbit

9. Golden Sun
latest

+ Golden Sun 2 of course. Very good RPG, with awesome visuals for the GBA. What struck me though is the cleverness of some puzzles, making it a classic in my opinion.

10. Super Mario Kart
Supermariokart_box.JPG

The game I used to play with my cousins at Christmas time. The party game of my childhood.
On the back of the box there was a 4-player screenshot which got me super excited about it... but I'm very doubtful whether a 4-player mode actually existed.

11. Tintin au Tibet
iu

Beautiful visuals faithfully reproducing the universe of Hergé's comics, diversified gameplay... That game was hard but I loved it.

12. The Witcher
iu

Very cool story. Cool romance cards too. The gameplay takes a moment to get used to but feels satisfying. After that, The Witcher 2 was kind of a disappointment gameplay-wise.

13. Trackmania Sunrise
iu

Actually Trackmania Nations was my shit. And the new Trackmania is awesome too. But I remember playing the demo of Trackmania Sunrise to death.

14. Half-Life
Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg

I have yet to play Black Mesa.

15. Little Big Adventure 2
Little_Big_Adventure_2_cover.jpg

Cocorico! I loved the atmosphere in that game, and the scope that begins little and becomes a big adventure.

16. La-Mulana
iu

I've tried to play this game twice before actually getting sucked into it. Atrociously difficult, but fascinating.

17. Metroid Prime Trilogy
Metroid_Prime_Trilogy.jpg

I poured too many hours in this trilogy, but I don't regret it.

18. Super Metroid
Smetroidbox.jpg

After having played (and enjoyed) Metroid Prime Trilogy, I decided to give it a shot. It was a good idea.

19. Okami
iu

<3 <3 <3

20. Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super_Mario_Galaxy_2_Box_Art.jpg

So far my favorite 3D Mario game. To be honest, I did not beat Super Mario 3D World, and I did not play Super Mario Odyssey.

After reading some of the posts here, I realize that I didn't put some games that were really important to me.
God, I am so sorry for those games I won't name because it's the rule, that didn't make it despite belonging to my actual top 10.

Last edited:
I wish Sleeping Dogs on PC would support concurrent X-input and DirectInput. I use a joystick for movement and a mouse to look/aim in most games, bit it's a no go in Sleeping Dogs.

And which version, original or the definitive edition?
Oof I don't know any of the issues on PC since I played it on PlayStation. The hand to hand combat was also so good that I didn't care much about using a gun to be honest.

I didnt get the definitive edition since when I bought the game and was so impressed by it I bought all the DLC's. Plus I never bought it for the graphics so I didn't care much bout the definitive edition. Too bad we'll probably never get another Sleeping Dogs. The story and gameplay were so damn good.

No particular order:

1. Halo 3

Halo_3_final_boxshot.JPG

One of the best FPS games ever made. Forge, theater, custom games, file-sharing, and a robust MP with amazing map design. Oh, and the campaign was pretty damn fun too. I just love Halo man and this will always be the series high point for me. So man great memories.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

red_dead_redemption_2_cover_art_1.jpg

Perhaps the most fully realized and reactive game world in all of gaming. The story is fucking ace and really tugged on my heartstrings at the end.

3. Doom 3

220px-Doom3box.jpg

I have a soft spot for this game. I love the creepy atmosphere and hellish enemies. I know many of the long-time fans are not that favorable to it but I loved the horror tone of the game.

4. Strong Hold Crusader

Crusadercover.jpg

Castle Sims don't get much better than this and I always find it infinitely replayable.

5. Pokemon Gold and Silver
Pok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Gold_Version.png

The absolute high point in the pokemon franchise IMO and definitely has the best roster of Pokemon.

6. Alein Isolation
0aef5dd82fa9ee6ebdc840ddc54643169a25162a.jpeg

Easily my favorite horror and stealth game. I'm a huge Alien fan and this game is just raw stealth gameplay. The game will put you on the edge of your seat.

7. Mass Effect 2

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

I was tempted to put the whole trilogy on here, this is easily the most polished one of them all. It has the best roster of characters in the trilogy and one hell of a final mission that gets your blood pumping.

8. Skyrim

The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_cover.png

The game that I have put the most hours in all of my years of gaming. You can truly be anyone you want and do anything you want. The world and lore crafted here is untouched by no other RPG imo.

9. Battlefield Bad Compay 2

Battlefield_Bad_Company_2_cover.jpg

My first introduction into the BF series and I was completely blown away. Been a fan of the series ever since. Easily has the best destruction out of all the games and that rush mode is hella fun.

10. Oddworld Stangers Wrath

300px-Oddworld_Strangers_Wrath_game_cover.jpg

What a unique and fun game. I was laughing my ass off most of the way through this game.

Other games I don’t feel like typing out but I still love:

11. Zoo Tycoon
12. Halo CE
13. Gears of War 3
14. Animal Crossing New Horizons
15. Zelda: BOTW
16. Zelda: Windwaker
17. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
18 The Last of Us
19. Doom 2016
20. Rainbow Six Siege

Last edited:

ShadowNate

In no particular order, and off-the-top-of-my-head.

Assassins Creed 2
Half Life 2
Max Payne
Another World
Beneath a Steel Sky
Detroit: Become Human
Until Dawn
Into the breach
The Witness
Riven
Return of the Obra Dinn
System Shock 2
Shadow Complex
Binary Domain
Clive Barker's Undying
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay
Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis
Prince of Persia: Sands of time
XCOM: Enemy Unknown/Enemy Within
The Swapper

Half Life
Fallout 2
Fallout 4
Alien Isolation
Prey 2017
Fl0w
Red Dead Redemption
Tie Fighter
Assassin's Creed 2
Missionforce Cyberstorm
Alpha Centauri
Rome 2 Total War
Mario Kart 8
Doom
Planescape Torment
Battlefield 2
Starcraft
NfS Porsche Unleashed
Deus Ex
Skyrim

Last edited:

Kev Kev

no order

skyrim VR
fallout 4
FF6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF12
vermintide 2
left 4 dead 2
minecraft VR
shining force 1
shining force 2
no mans sky VR
astrobot VR
dead rising
mass effect 2
bioshock
bioshock infinite
zelda breath of the wild
zelda ocarina of time
zelda wind waker
doom 1
doom 2
doom 2016
resident evil 1
resident evil 2
resident evil 3
half life 2
portal
metal gear solid 1
metal gear solid 2
metal gear solid 3
metal gear solid 4
banjo kazooie
dead space 2
halo 3

didnt feel like whittling it down

Last edited:

NeverYouMind

Gold Member
No particular order:

1. Halo 3

Halo_3_final_boxshot.JPG

One of the best FPS games ever made. Forge, theater, custom games, file-sharing, and a robust MP with amazing map design. Oh, and the campaign was pretty damn fun too. I just love Halo man and this will always be the series high point for me. So man great memories.

2. Red Dead Redemption 2

red_dead_redemption_2_cover_art_1.jpg

Perhaps the most fully realized and reactive game world in all of gaming. The story is fucking ace and really tugged on my heartstrings at the end.

3. Doom 3

220px-Doom3box.jpg

I have a soft spot for this game. I love the creepy atmosphere and hellish enemies. I know many of the long-time fans are not that favorable to it but I loved the horror tone of the game.

4. Strong Hold Crusader

Crusadercover.jpg

Castle Sims don't get much better than this and I always find it infinitely replayable.

5. Pokemon Gold and Silver
Pok%C3%A9mon_box_art_-_Gold_Version.png

The absolute high point in the pokemon franchise IMO and definitely has the best roster of Pokemon.

6. Alein Isolation
0aef5dd82fa9ee6ebdc840ddc54643169a25162a.jpeg

Easily my favorite horror and stealth game. I'm a huge Alien fan and this game is just raw stealth gameplay. The game will put you on the edge of your seat.

7. Mass Effect 2

MassEffect2_cover.PNG

I was tempted to put the whole trilogy on here, this is easily the most polished one of them all. It has the best roster of characters in the trilogy and one hell of a final mission that gets your blood pumping.

8. Skyrim

The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_cover.png

The game that I have put the most hours in all of my years of gaming. You can truly be anyone you want and do anything you want. The world and lore crafted here is untouched by no other RPG imo.

9. Battlefield Bad Compay 2

Battlefield_Bad_Company_2_cover.jpg

My first introduction into the BF series and I was completely blown away. Been a fan of the series ever since. Easily has the best destruction out of all the games and that rush mode is hella fun.

10. Oddworld Stangers Wrath

300px-Oddworld_Strangers_Wrath_game_cover.jpg

What a unique and fun game. I was laughing my ass off most of the way through this game.

Other games I don’t feel like typing out but I still love:

11. Zoo Tycoon
12. Halo CE
13. Gears of War 3
14. Animal Crossing New Horizons
15. Zelda: BOTW
16. Zelda: Windwaker
17. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
18 The Last of Us
19. Doom 2016
20. Rainbow Six Siege
Jo Mama would be proud.

Tg89

20. Chrono Trigger

19. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

18. Final Fantasy VI

17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

16. Super Mario World

15. Super Smash Bros. Melee

14. Donkey Kong Country

13. Super Metroid

12. Super Mario Bros. 3

11. Super Mario 64

10. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

9. Banjo Kazooie

8. Bloodborne

7. StarCraft

6. Dark Souls

5. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

4. Metroid Prime

3. World of Warcraft

2. Counter Strike

1. Diablo II

Outside of the top 5 none of these are ordered.

1. Persona 4/Golden
2. Steins;gate
3. Metal Gear Solid 3
4. Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
5. House in Fata Morgana

Catherine
Persona 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Chrono Trigger
Persona 5
Gravity Rush 2
Gran Turismo 4
Forza Horizon 3
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy XII
Project Gotham Racing 2
Halo 3 ODST
Halo 3 ODST
Halo Reach

Some of these can change with others at any given time, but off the top of my head this is the list.

HBx2000

(01) God of War II
Kratos does 88mph.
(02) Call of Duty Black Ops
Fantastic singleplayer.
(03) Call of Duty Black Ops III
Fantastic multiplayer.
(04) Far Cry 4
Riding on elephants.
(05) Mad Max
Open world done right.
(06) Uncharted 2
Keeps getting beter.
(07) Resistance 3
Very nice campaign.
(08) Halo 4
Really liked those Prometheans.
(09) Forza Horizon 4
The complete package.
(10) Killzone 2
"This is heavy."
(11) CnC: Red Alert 2
Best strategy game ever.
(12) Tekken 5
Everything is awesome!
(13) Left 4 Dead 2
Steam Workshop: The Game.
(14) Crysis
Good graphics and good gameplay.
(15) Tomb Raider [2013]
The blueprint for every reboot.
(16) Max Payne
Great story for a videogame.
(17) Duke Nukem 3D
Babes, bullets, bombs.
(18) Gears of War 3
Epic co-op, epic 3D visuals.
(19) Blood
Building atmosphere.
(20) Sniper Elite V2
I *** love sniping.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Super Mario 3
Doom 2
Chrono Trigger
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario RPG
Street Fighter 4
Quake
Portal 2
Botw
Ocarina

GTA V
Super Mario 3D Land
Metroid 4
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Age of Kings
NFS Fever for the Flava
Mario Kart 8
Half Life 2
Doom Eternal
Final Fantasy 7

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Disclaimer : I only pick one entry of my favorite series for this list. Otherwise I would end up with two or three gaming franchises that hold multiple positions in this list and bloat it. I also didn't include multiplayer games since it is extremely hard to rank them properly compared to single player games.

Amazing list... well done.

Assassins Creed
Assassins Creed II
Assassins Creed Brotherhood
Assassins Creed Revelations
Assassins Creed III
Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag
Assassins Creed Rogue
Assassins Creed Unity
Assassins Creed Syndicate
Assassins Creed Origins
Assassins Creed Odyssey
Assassins Creed Valhalla
Assassins Creed Chronicles China
Assassins Creed Chronicles India
Assassins Creed Chronicles Russia
Assassin's Creed: Altaïr's Chronicles
Assassin's Creed Bloodlines
Assassins Creed III: Liberation
Assassins Creed: Freedom Cry
Assassins Creed II: Discovery

1. Mini Ninjas
  2. Mini Ninjas
  3. NOLF
  4. Mini Ninjas
  5. Mini Ninjas
  6. Mini Ninjas
  7. Mini Ninjas
  8. Mini Ninjas
  9. Mini Ninjas
  10. Mini Ninjas
  11. Mini Ninjas
  12. Mini Ninjas
  13. Mini Ninjas
  14. Mini Ninjas
  15. Mini Ninjas
  16. Mini Ninjas
  17. Mini Ninjas
  18. Mini Ninjas
  19. Mini Ninjas
  20. Mini Ninjas
Good list but I would replace NOLF with Mini Ninjas.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Here's my totally subjective, extremely biased list:

DOOM (1993)
Quake
Starcraft + Broodwar
Diablo II
Zelda: Alttp
F-Zero
Banjo-Kazooie
Castlevania: SotN
Metal Gear Solid 3
God Hand
Metroid Prime
Dark Souls
Shin Megami Tensei (can't decide on one)
Ikaruga
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy V
Metal Gear Rising
Dragon's Dogma
Persona 5 Royal
Yakuza 0

Damn you OP, now I want to replay some of those.

Alrighties, HERE WE GO!

In no order:

1.) Super Mario 64:

Super_Mario_64_box_cover.jpg

This game gave me the impression that VR gave me. I was within the TV screen when I first saw this game in motion, great sense of simple yet intricate controls and the sense of wonder and imagination within this game is immaculate.

2.) Resident Evil 2

NTSC_Resident_Evil_2_Cover.png

My first survival horror, and introduced me to my first video game crush, Claire Redfield! Puzzles, tank controls, intricate storyline with Zapping system, music, memorable cast, this game got it all!

3.) Megaman X4

440px-Megaman_x4_cover.jpg

Super anime fighting robots, each with their own playstyles, long range and melee, that doesn't compromise on the series roots but expands on them in pretty much every possible way!

4.) Devil May Cry

DMC1FrontCover.jpg

The original! Man this game is so much fun. And atmospheric too.

5.) Resident Evil 4

Resi4-gc-cover.jpg

The one, the only (even if VR version exists and RE4R is coming out eventually). Perhaps it's due to when I played it, but this game brings back an innocently nostalgic time if that makes sense. On the surface it seems like a reinvention of everything, but this game still burns with the fire of classic RE that later games in the series lost. So for that and many other reasons, I still cherish this game alot.

6.) Bioshock

s-l1000.jpg

This game is terrific. It's more than the sum of it's parts. I love how it tells it's story in a video-game specific way.

7.) ZombiU

e3bca158729f9a2f9e37a818abffcd04.jpg

This game did first person RE better than the actual first person mainline REs like 7 and Village

8.) Sonic and Knuckles Collection

Yes I know, it's not the Genesis one but that weird PC port of it. This is still my preferred version of the game for various reasons, and am glad I was able to get into Sonic because of this game

9.) NintendoLand

270px-Nintendoland_boxcover.png

This is it. One of the best games that really shows the heart and soul of the Wii U! Whenether is in single or multiplayer, it really shines! I finally got my dream Metroid gameplay in the Metroid Blast game, where you can FINALLY CONTROL SAMUS GUNSHIP! It was really smooth too because of the gyro based controls! It's a shame this didn't become some kind of series from Nintendo, then again...I'm glad it's a one off because it was full of charm I doubt could be followed up on properly from modern Nintendo

10.) Custom Robo Gamecube

pCm58Va.jpg

One of the most defining games of my childhood right here! The anime storyline was funny yet dark sometimes, I love how the single player ties into the multiplayer because the parts to customize your robo in either single or multiplayer are unlocked in the single player! The music, gameplay, story, etc. are all nostalgic and cozy for me. One of my favorite comfort games.

For the rest of this list, I'm gonna only list them:

11.) Luigi's Mansion
12.) Sonic R
13.) Super Mario Sunshine
14.) Sonic Adventure DX
15.) Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
16.) The Wonderful 101
17.) Rayman Legends
18.) NieR Replicant ver. 1.22
19.) The Evil Within
20.) Marvel vs. Capcom 2

There are countless more I could list and talk about, but yea that's the general jist of my gaming tastes and why I like some of them. That was fun to make, it was nostalgic to re remember some of my forgotten about favorite games by making this post!

My top 20, in order:

Tetris Effect
Red Dead Redemption II
Ōkami/ INSIDE
BioShock
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Shadow of the Colossus
Forza Horizon 3
Portal 2
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
BioShock Infinite
Silent Hill 2
Grand Theft Auto IV
The Last of Us Part 2

Honorable Mentions:
Bully
Shenmue
Disco Elysium
Civilization IV
Super Mario 64
GoldenEye 007
Final Fantasy VII
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Top 20? Why not just ask for 10 as that is much easier to rattle off the top of your head?

My Top 10 would be, in no particular order:

The Witcher 3 (Xbox Series X & PC)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
Banjo-Kazooie (N64 & Xbox 360)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart (PS5)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Dreamcast)
Kingdom Hearts III (Xbox Series X & PC)
Final Fantasy VII Remake (PC & PS5)
Turrican II (Amiga)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)

Honourable mentions:

Star Fox Adventures (GC)
Diddy Kong Racing (N64)
Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64 & Xbox 360)

Last edited:
Top Bottom