• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

This piece of shit cop did not communicate properly with Castille. He should have told him to disclose the location of the gun and make his hands visible. Telling him not to reach for the gun would imply that he can reach for anything else except the gun. It all escalated so fast Castille probably didn't even have enough time to process what the cop was ordering him to do. This is probably why he was reaching for his license instead of having his hands on the steering wheel.

You can even hear Philando calmly saying right before getting shot, "I'm not pulling it out..." and then he was shot before finishing. The cop was fucking unhinged in this dash cam footage but the jury can't even convict him of manslaughter.

Dartastic

Dashcam footage was released today.

Police release dashcam video that shows fatal shooting of Philando Castile

— Wesley Lowery‏ (@WesleyLowery) June 20, 2017

Yanez shoots 7 secs after Castile informs him he's armed. Both Castile/Reynolds assure him no one reaching for gun, then officer opens fire

WaPo: Video footage shows Minn. traffic stop that ended with Philando Castile’s death

Video up on Ramsey County's Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ac7Zblqyk
This is murder. Holy shit. If you can't get a verdict from this, how the fuck can you? Gah. Our justice system is SO broken.

Yanez shoots 7 secs after Castile informs him he's armed. Both Castile/Reynolds assure him no one reaching for gun, then officer opens fire

WaPo: Video footage shows Minn. traffic stop that ended with Philando Castile’s death

Video up on Ramsey County's Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ac7Zblqyk

To get that same reaction, a white driver would have to be the most dangerous-looking motherfucker in the city. Fucking shaved head and 666 tattooed on his neck. If it's a white stoner dude or a rural good ol-boy or even a mildly-shady dude with some minor crimes on his record, the cop just backs away and yells for him to get his hands up. If it's a white woman he probably just asks her politely to put it down.

mortal

Gold Member

WaPo: Video footage shows Minn. traffic stop that ended with Philando Castile's death

That video makes my fucking blood boil. That is a stone cold execution, clear as day.

I could swear there was video of a white guy in the same spot and the office politely asked him to get out of the car and sit on the curb. Hell I remember seeing a video of a white guy and black guy get pulled over (same car) and the white guy treated with respect while the black guy was pulled out of the door and slammed to the floor.

KSweeley

The AP reported that the dashcam footage was shown to the jury, how the hell can the jury find the cop not guilty of all charges after watching the dashcam footage?!?!?: https://apnews.com/3d9fad885d744f18...shows-officer-firing-7-shots-into-Castile-car

Unlike Reynolds’ video, the squad-car video shows the situation’s quick escalation and the shooting itself. It was played for jurors at trial but was not released publicly until Tuesday. Though the video has been described repeatedly, the footage offers a disturbing perspective on how a traffic stop for a faulty brake light turned deadly in mere seconds.

It's no wonder why Castile's sister publicly stated she will never have any faith in the American criminal justice system and it's the sad and highly fucked up truth that his mother stated publicly that the American criminal justice system will continue to fail all of us: http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...-guilty-in-shooting-death-of-philando-castile

"The system continues to fail black people, and it will continue to fail you all," Valerie Castile, Philando's mother, told reporters after the verdict. "My son loved this city and this city killed my son and the murderer gets away. ... I'm mad as hell right now."

Castile's sister Allysza, weeping, said, "He didn't deserve to die the way he did, and I will never have faith in this system." Castile family lawyer Glenda Hatchett vowed to continue fighting.

Defendants are entitled to a jury of their peers. The defendant in this trial was Officer Yanez.

Understood, I should have probably expressed a little more. This jury was not even a jury of peers that could identify with Yanez. You should have seen or read how many who could and would have convicted him were thrown out as unacceptable.

End of the day, a jury of his peers would have convicted him.

This jury was tailor made for "black fear."

Luschient

And if this couldn't get any worse...

Officer who shot Philando Castile said smell of marijuana made him fear for his life

"I thought, I was gonna die," Officer Jeronimo Yanez told investigators from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension fifteen hours after the shooting. "And I thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me. And, I let off the rounds and then after the rounds were off, the little girls was screaming."

Plumbob

Is it possible they could appeal this and get an actual non racist jury?

I'm pretty sure double jeopardy would protect the officer.

But, you could go the way they went with OJ and pursue civil charges. Bankrupt the officer for the rest of his life.

I can guarantee you he's being forced to say that. What he really wanted to say was he wanted to kill someone. This was blatant murder. Like holy shit I'm shaking mad. It's sadistic how fucked our country is.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Won't watch the video. I don't need to see a snuff film. Especially knowing that the killer walks among us.

]I can guarantee you he's being forced to say that. [/B]What he really wanted to say was he wanted to kill someone. This was blatant murder. Like holy shit I'm shaking mad. It's sadistic how fucked our country is.

Of course it was a coached statement. As bad as our attitudes are on drugs, we're not living in the days of Reefer Madness. What he described doesn't happen in reality.

Then again, when it comes to murdering black boys/men, the unbelievable becomes reality. See Trayvon Martin dishing out 80's action movie phrases before he "assaulted" George Zimmerman and after he got shot and Mike Brown becoming a satanic bull demon before he rushed Darren Wilson. People believed that too!

A reporter who was at the trial did an AMA on reddit, pretty interesting read
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6j1zwf/im_bill_hudson_a_reporter_for_wccotv_in/

This comment of his was particularly illuminating
Remember, jurors were instructed to follow the law regarding "culpable negligence" in order to find guilty on the manslaughter. The requirement of that is what another reasonable officer would do to respond to that specific circumstance. When jurors could not determine that Yanez did NOT see a firearm in Castile's right hand, they could not according to the law, find him guilty. That's really what this case came down to. On the stand he described what the gun looked like and the shape that Castile's hand was in when reaching in his pocket.

It seems like except in really specific situations where you have clear body cam evidence that a cop just goes and shoots someone with no provocation, the cop will always go free because its insanely hard to prove that a reasonable officer would not fire. All we saw from the dash cam was two people talking and suddenly the cop draw and fire, we have no idea what was going on at that window and it just becomes the cops word vs a dead person.

Also sounds like the prosecutors fucked up big time by not using Yanez's interview with the police (standard procedure for any shooting), but I'm not really sure how that would have helped the prosecutors? Here is the BCA interview transcripts, I guess some people feel his interview is inconsistent with his trial testimony but I don't really see it.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/2...ezs-bca-interview-the-day-after-the-shooting/

RefigeKru

Banned
"I thought, I was gonna die," Officer Jeronimo Yanez told investigators from the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension fifteen hours after the shooting. "And I thought if he’s, if he has the, the guts and the audacity to smoke marijuana in front of the five year old girl and risk her lungs and risk her life by giving her secondhand smoke and the front seat passenger doing the same thing then what, what care does he give about me. And, I let off the rounds and then after the rounds were off, the little girls was screaming."

whatwhatwhatwhatwhat

THE AUDACITY

hbkdx12

A reporter who was at the trial did an AMA on reddit, pretty interesting read
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/6j1zwf/im_bill_hudson_a_reporter_for_wccotv_in/

This comment of his was particularly illuminating
Remember, jurors were instructed to follow the law regarding "culpable negligence" in order to find guilty on the manslaughter. The requirement of that is what another reasonable officer would do to respond to that specific circumstance. When jurors could not determine that Yanez did NOT see a firearm in Castile's right hand, they could not according to the law, find him guilty. That's really what this case came down to. On the stand he described what the gun looked like and the shape that Castile's hand was in when reaching in his pocket.

It seems like except in really specific situations where you have clear body cam evidence that a cop just goes and shoots someone with no provocation, the cop will always go free because its insanely hard to prove that a reasonable officer would not fire. All we saw from the dash cam was two people talking and suddenly the cop draw and fire, we have no idea what was going on at that window and it just becomes the cops word vs a dead person.

Also sounds like the prosecutors fucked up big time by not using Yanez's interview with the police (standard procedure for any shooting), but I'm not really sure how that would have helped the prosecutors? Here is the BCA interview transcripts, I guess some people feel his interview is inconsistent with his trial testimony but I don't really see it.
http://www.twincities.com/2017/06/2...ezs-bca-interview-the-day-after-the-shooting/

I understand there's all sorts of levels when it comes to the justice system and being able to get a conviction and what not but its really disgusting to see murderers walk away scot free due to some ticky tacky gray area shit like this.

Cops have the ultimate get of out jail free card and it boils down to five words--I feared for my life.

Didn't the woman in the Terence Crutcher case get off under a similar, if not the same, technicality?

The thing that kills me is that in both cases, there are other cops on the scene who didn't do what these cops did. So you'd think the idea of "other officers would react the same way" would hold far less water than it apparently does

Top Bottom