• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

Does anyone know if the facebook video was evidence permissible in court?

I don't see how anyone could watch that and say, "Yup, just doing his job".

Apharmd

Please be quiet and respectful. You know damn well Castile would have a better chance of breathing today had he been a law abiding gun owning white man. You know damn well that even if white Castille got killed in front of his lily white girlfriend and her child a jury would have more likely than not recognized that a human being was killed that day. Now is not the time for "I don't think race had.much to do with this!".

IrishNinja

Please be quiet and respectful. You know damn well Castile would have a better chance of breathing today had he been a law abiding gun owning white man. You know damn well that even if white Castille got killed in front of his lily white girlfriend and her child a jury would have more likely than not recognized that a human being was killed that day. Now is not the time for "I don't think race had.much to do with this!".

Really? Just plain old white wasn't enough?

as a nearly translucent cac I appreciate the distinction but it's interesting that this is what stood out for you

SummitAve

Banned

Yes it was shown in court. Yanez's BCA interview after the shooting (where his account differs from later testimony) was not allowed in court, and I've seen that described as a tactical error or gamble that didn't pay off for prosecution. I don't recall the legal reasoning of why that decision had to be made. It was a trade-off that didn't pay off and some procedural something or other.

The negligent charge also played a huge factor as it takes into account potential negligence on both sides unlike a straight murder charge where it doesn't. If you're jaywalking and you get run over by a negligent driver vs. jaywalking and being driven over by a driver with an intent to harm type of situation.

It was.

Key evidence thrown out was Officer's statement to BCA-Bureau of Criminal Apprehension that he didnt know where gun was. Evidence not allowed countering his arguments he did.

Key evidence allowed. Philando had marijuana in his system. Prosecution put up someone saying toxiclogy after death is not reliable...could not have even smoked that day. Defense said Philando was raging hard from the weed.

Judge pissing on Philando.

You are being disingenuous if you don't see the bullshit dripping from the no-angel and fearing for his life defense. You are also being disingenuous for not acknowledging that the net effect of this verdict so far is telling black people they ain't worth shit, and the biggest benefactor of that being white people.

And I especially know you are being disingenuous because you're trying to obfuscate the disease of crippling racism perpetuated by white people with this symptom of a hispanic cop shooting a black man for no fucking legitimate reason.

I am talking about cops having a bias against black people and why cops tend to get off without charges when they commit wrongful acts. This is a much more directly relevant matter than tying the injustice of the police department into a larger, societal subject of white supremacy. The reason being is that there are tangible actions that can be done in order to address my concerns and help improve the police force/the justice system.

Such as:
1. Society needs to stop idolizing cops as much as they do, and realize that they are just normal humans. This will allow juries to be more impartial and will lead to more just decisions.
2. The Police needs to be accountable and more transparent. The police love to protect their own and that is a major issue when it comes to investigations of wrongdoing.
3. There needs to be greater training and increased vetting, police officers often times make mistakes and lapses of judgement, maybe those people aren't ready for a gun.

These 3 steps alone at the very least, greatly benefit society and improve the police force, but sorry if you would rather ignore that and just tell humans to stop being racist, because I am sure that works well.

Jintor

respect the system, the impartiality. it'll save you. oh wait it won't. well they'll all wear cameras. that'll save you. oh wait it won't.

what's next

Yes it was shown in court. Yanez's BCA interview after the shooting (where his account differs from later testimony) was not allowed in court, and I've seen that described as a tactical error or gamble that didn't pay off for prosecution. I don't recall the legal reasoning of why that decision had to be made. It was a trade-off that didn't pay off and some procedural something or other.

The negligent charge also played a huge factor as it takes into account potential negligence on both sides unlike a straight murder charge where it doesn't.
Thank you for that information.

I'm dumbfounded. How do you watch that and believe that the officer is justified?

I'm ready to move to a country where guns are outlawed now. It always seemed like legally carrying a gun was only allowed for whites and cops, and this jury just confirmed it. This shit makes me scared to even drive, how fucking sick is that?
It was.

Key evidence thrown out was Officer's statement to BCA-Bureau of Criminal Apprehension that he didnt know where gun was. Evidence not allowed countering his arguments he did.

Key evidence allowed. Philando had marijuana in his system. Prosecution put up someone saying toxiclogy after death is not reliable...could not have even smoked that day. Defense said Philando was raging hard from the weed.

Judge pissing on Philando.
The least surprising thing out of all of this. The head of the local justice system, that has frequent dealings with officers and has no oversight, chooses officer over a black victim.
what's next
I would love to say 'fight back', but then they start dropping bombs and instituting martial law.

A great question that no one has answered. Not even MLK got it right, unfortunately.

Naudi

Banned
Is there police video of the whole interaction? I watched a video and the defense attorney said it wasn't a race issue, it was an issue because of the presence of a gun. Wtf does that even mean other then black people aren't allowed to legally carry guns in this great gun loving nation of ours. #MAGA

I am talking about cops having a bias against black people and why cops tend to get off without charges when they commit wrongful acts. This is a much more directly relevant matter than tying the injustice of the police department into a larger, societal subject of white supremacy. The reason being is that there are tangible actions that can be done in order to address my concerns and help improve the police force/the justice system.

Such as:
1. Society needs to stop idolizing cops as much as they do, and realize that they are just normal humans. This will allow juries to be more impartial and will lead to more just decisions.
2. The Police needs to be accountable and more transparent. The police love to protect their own and that is a major issue when it comes to investigations of wrongdoing.
3. There needs to be greater training and increased vetting, police officers often times make mistakes and lapses of judgement, maybe those people aren't ready for a gun.

These 3 steps alone at the very least, greatly benefit society and improve the police force, but sorry if you would rather ignore that and just tell humans to stop being racist, because I am sure that works well.

You do realize that for your suggestions that would great benefit society and improve the police force in the US the majority of people in the country would have to actual believe that their is a problem to fix. The majority of people believe their are no problems so the issues will continue.

Enzom21

The American Justice system continues to work as intended. Brown people die. White people walk free. Just another day.

The cop was brown. This is more of there never being any justice for black people in this country. There was a predominantly white jury so there was no way this could have gone any other way.
And I am willing to bet the two jurors who changed their votes were the two black folks.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Sad to be living in a place where this bullshit is not only unsurprising but expected

You do realize that for your suggestions that would great benefit society and improve the police force in the US the majority of people in the country would have to actual believe that their is a problem to fix. The majority of people believe their are no problems so the issues will continue.

and it's still way more feasible than the zero suggestions that other people have made in this thread (other than violence). I mean we have posters in here saying they don't know what they can do to help change things. You're not going to convince Juror #2 Jane that she is racist when her neighbor is black and she has many black friends.

The Civil Rights Movement was successful because it changed the laws in America. That is a tangible goal. The Movement did not convince any person who was already racist to stop being racist. Racism dies with time and nothing else.

If you want to get rid of gun violence, try making it harder for people to obtain guns. It's easier than trying to get rid of violent people. Same concept applies here.

watershed

Banned
The cop was brown. This is more of there never being any justice for black people in this country. There was a predominantly white jury so there was no way this could have gone any other way.
And I am willing to bet the two jurors who changed their votes were the two black folks.
My bad but the injustice remains.

CommanderBuck

Neo Member

Are cops deliberately taught to be paranoid of African Americans or something? Or are they recruiting racists?

I'd like to see these killercops be publicly shamed and outcast, labeled as murderers. EDIT: Not just the cops, but their superiors and judges should all be exposed as enablers of violence.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
extremely disappointing

no heartfelt words from MN politicians at all?

comeon

Link

U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, DFL-St. Paul also released a statement Friday.

“The death of Philando Castile last summer was a tragedy that shook our community and our entire country. His death continues to be painful and traumatic for his family, loved ones, and the many people touched by his life. After a thorough and fair investigation, Ramsey County Attorney John Choi correctly brought this case before a jury. The trial offered transparency to the public and allowed a jury to determine legal responsibility in this case. The jury has now resolved the legal issue of criminality by acquitting Officer Jeronimo Yanez.

“Many Minnesotans and Americans will be disappointed, heartbroken, and angry over today’s verdict. Every member of our community is entitled to their own opinion on the case — and the peaceful expression of those opinions is the cornerstone of our democracy. However, there are things we can all agree on: We must work together to build a stronger, more trusting relationship between our communities and our law enforcement. And we must truly confront racism and racial injustice in every facet of our society. As we have these important conversations, I am hopeful that the entire Twin Cities community will be respectful of one another.”

hbkdx12

As terrible as it is, i'm not surprised that he wouldn't be charged with murder or anything heavy like that

But to say he shouldn't AT LEAST be charged with endangerment is just all sorts of crazy.

This cop killed a man at point blank range with multiple gun shots in a confined space that had another grown adult and a baby. How the fuck is that not (reckless) endangerment?

EDIT: and only 2 black jurors? WTF IS THIS?! Jury of your peers my ass

SURGEdude

That is insane. This was one of the most clear cut cases that we've had amongst the high profile ones of the last few years. Really fucking shameful.

Loudninja

http://m.startribune.com/yanez-juro.../428966163/?om_rid=1619760585&om_mid=48006601

Two jurors changed there mind today at 230pm

"Ploussard was sure the jury would have been hung if they hadn’t come up with an acquittal on Friday afternoon.

He said he was shocked when members of the Castile family cursed out loud after the verdict and stormed out of the courtroom"
Are kidding me?

How can you be surprise at their reaction when you let a murderer off the hook?

Getting to the heart of the issue (inherent bias in a large portion of the population, the difficulty of getting past reasonable doubt in a trial against a cop, the justice system as a whole...) is just not going to happen anytime soon. One thing I think we can absolutely do and relatively quickly if we can put the funding into it is to get an industry standard non lethal sidearm that does the job for the officers. Something that incapacitates, instantly, and can't be tossed to the side like a taser for fear of ineffectiveness.

With everything we're capable of as a society you're telling me we can't develop this sort of sidearm? Redirect some of that defense money into non-lethal weapons for the boys in blue here, and roll them out to every precinct and get them every holster.

Maybe its decades down the road--but a standard nonlethal sidearm is an easier ask than fixing this countries cop problem.

People keep telling me violence is not the answer. I dunno... seems to be working for some of us.

Violence has always worked for some people. Build entire empires. Gain an entire free labor force for generations. Set the rules ENTIRELY to benefit you and yours and enforce it via systemic violence.

But don't you dare raise a fist, that'd be wrong. MLK had a dream after all. And don't be too vocal either because then you're the "Angry Black Man"...

hirokazu

Wait, so the guy declared he was legally carrying a gun for full disclosure and the cop just NOPES out and shoots him? With a child in the car?

Cops have waaaay too much privilege in America, damn.

Barzul

NRA is silent of course. It's why I hate cops and stay avoiding any interactions with them. I legit tense up when around one.

hbkdx12

That is insane. This was one of the most clear cut cases that we've had amongst the high profile ones of the last few years. Really fucking shameful.

Between Philando Castile and Terence Crutcher, we're really talking about no brainers here in terms of the justice that should have been served.

We've all seen the videos enough to know that in these two cases in particular that these cops shouldn't have been in a position where they reasonably "feared for their life" and as such there's no way to even begin to suggest that flat out killing these people were the best and only option on their part.

Fucking shame man

NRA is silent of course. It's why I hate cops and stay avoiding any interactions with them. I legit tense up when around one.

it's pretty sad to think that there's demonstrable evidence that if you're a POC that this very thing can and will get you killed

Apparently we're meant to be held to a higher standard when it comes to fear and safety rather than the cops who have the guns and are meant to serve and protect

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
As terrible as it is, i'm not surprised that he wouldn't be charged with murder or anything heavy like that

But to say he shouldn't AT LEAST be charged with endangerment is just all sorts of crazy.

This cop killed a man at point blank range with multiple gun shots in a confined space that had another grown adult and a baby. How the fuck is that not (reckless) endangerment?

EDIT: and only 2 black jurors? WTF IS THIS?! Jury of your peers my ass

Well, to be fair, the defendant is the cop, who is Latino. There were no Latino jurors.

EDIT: But then again, he would also be facing a prison sentence, if we were talking about fairness.

LifEndz

I'm not one to protest. I usually speak via my ballot. But I'm actively looking for any matches/protest in NYC about this shit. I'm so sick and tired of this.

Mahonay

Banned
Our policing and justice system continues to be completely inhuman and beyond fucked.

Fuck this and fuck that bullshit trial.

Top Bottom