• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Officer Yanez Found Not Guilty On All Counts In Castile’s Death

I pray I don't get pulled over on my way to or from the gun range.

Do I pull my wallet before the cop arrives at my vehicle?

Does his misconstrue that as an attempt to hide evidence?

Do I wait until he arrives at my vehicle?

Does he misconstrue my movement to my pocket as reaching for something?

Do I inform him I have firearms legally in the car?

Do I just roll the dice that he doesn't look?

Meanwhile White folks go to Starbucks with their shit and order a venti...
And if you do get shot 7 times while complying with a panic-stricken, racially biased officer, your family can take comfort in the knowledge that the Amerikkkan court system will let your executioner walk, then rub salt in your family's wound with an obscene statement about a need for "unity" and "healing" after the acquittal.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well it only takes one to disagree. You better believe police defense attorneys make sure to include those that believe are police above all else and can do no wrong.

no. if the jury isn't unanimous, it's a hung jury.

GaimeGuy

Are cops deliberately taught to be paranoid of African Americans or something? Or are they recruiting racists?

I'd like to see these killercops be publicly shamed and outcast, labeled as murderers. EDIT: Not just the cops, but their superiors and judges should all be exposed as enablers of violence.

They are taught to err on the side of "Shoot first."

They go through training exercises where a series of options are provided. And if you choose to hold your fire, the simulation ends with you, the cop, being killed.

Latinos are marked as white on the driver's license.
MN doesn't have ethnicity/race on DLs, you might be thinking of the census where you can claim Hispanic origin and any race

Regardless, not really convinced the productive response to this is black/brown squabbling

St. Paul is in the streets tonight, at least around here

antonz

They go through training exercises where a series of options are provided. And if you choose to hold your fire, the simulation ends with you, the cop, being killed.

Yep the entire system needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Police training also needs to stop focusing on putting the fear of death in every encounter as well. Tragic events happen in the line of Duty but the system trains Police to be scared children with the power to end lives out of fear even if the fear isn't justified.

Throw in the fact such power then lures in the Bigots etc. and its a recipe for disaster especially when overall society refuses to acknowledge the problems

GaimeGuy

Yep the entire system needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Police training also needs to stop focusing on putting the fear of death in every encounter as well. Tragic events happen in the line of Duty but the system trains Police to be scared children with the power to end lives out of fear even if the fear isn't justified.

Throw in the fact such power then lures in the Bigots etc. and its a recipe for disaster especially when overall society refuses to acknowledge the problems
Even if the fear WAS justified, I would rather have hundreds of more cops die at the hands of civilians if it meant that even one innocent civilian was spared.

Any time a cop kills a civilian, it means that the civilian was denied due process and probably received cruel and unusual punishment (especially in states where the death penalty is banned).

The civilian police force charged with maintaining order and enforcing the law should never be depriving civilians of life. There should be higher rates for charges being filed, convictions, AND harsher sentences for homicides committed by police officers. Not lower.

7 fucking shots... 5 hitting castle. You can tell by the vid that the officer doesn't know how-to handle his job and is a coward. He killed an innocent black man who he told to get his wallet. Got scared for NO reason and murdered. This world ain't shit

And what about that has anything to do with white people or white supremacy? Yanez is a minority. If you want to argue that cops are bias against black people argue that but you don't need to because I agree.

Being a minority doesn't mean you can't play a role in reinforcing white supremacy

Breads

Banned
How can they not be guilty.

They did it.

What the fuck.

How was this in self defense.

What the fuck are our rights even for if an officer can just murder us in the streets because they feel like it and get away with it.

R0ckman

This sounds like brainwashing.

7 fucking shots... 5 hitting castle. You can tell by the vid that the officer doesn't know how-to handle his job and is a coward. He killed an innocent black man who he told to get his wallet. Got scared for NO reason and murdered. This world ain't shit

I do think this is a more justified reaction than some of the other posts about how police are just out hunting black people for fun. It is a fear issue (the marijuana defense is laughable considering if it was a white stoner he doesn't even think about shooting) and a culture that sees every black man as an out-of-control animal.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if the cop DID fear for his life, and shouldn't have been out there in the first place. But some departments HAVE gotten better at this, there are things they can do at a policy and training level. But part of it is I don't think they're able to be as picky as they'd like to be when hiring cops.

I do think this is a more justified reaction than some of the other posts about how police are just out hunting black people for fun.

Even when acknowledging the problem, you still manage to squeeze in some condescension—what is it with you and threads about unarmed black people killed by police?

Crazy how this white girl who convinced her white boyfriend via text to commit suicide can get arrested and sentenced but the cop who shots a black man on Facebook live can get away Scott free...interesting world we live in...

Wonder if they even pulled a gun on that white girl...

Wonder if she cooperated as swiftly and easily as Castile...

I do think this is a more justified reaction than some of the other posts about how police are just out hunting black people for fun.

The sentiment of the post you quoted is far more common than the one you brought up and you know it.

Once, just once, I'd like you to come into one of these topics without bringing up how shrill or crazy someone else is being and how much more rational you are by comparison. This thread wasn't made so you would have an excuse to fellate your ego in front of everybody. How have you not gotten the message that you shouldn't be doing that shit when you've been banned for the exact same behavior multiple times now?

This one is completely insane to me. It's the most obvious, with the most evidence, where this pretty much no possible unknowns. I think most of these are bullshit but with some, like Alton Sterling, I will admit that it's POSSIBLE, regardless of likelihood, the police weren't coldblooded murderers. But this one? I don't see any alternative. Pretty much murder. For no reason.

I mean.... nah. I got nothing. WTF is going on in this country now? This was the most obvious guilty ever and because he's a cop, he gets the benefit of the doubt because the victim was high on weed?

W

T

F

Imagine a citizen using that excuse to get away with killing someone. Wow. What a shit group of jurors. Were they scared the cops would retaliate or something. There has to be something else.... crap.

Bad7667

So does this type of exercise exist in other countries?

I don't understand why American police are so careless. Or is it they are freighted all the time?

Why did the cop even have his gun out for a traffic stop? God, this shit pisses me off so much.

reKon

Banned
So I'm just catching up on all of this...

how the the fucking shit could a Jury make a decision like that based on all the facts of the case.

I don't even have words right now for how I feel.

Fuck people

I get that you feel uncomfortable and possibly threatened by anti-white sentiment. I get it. But a black man was murdered and the murderer just got away with it. Your perceived threat doesn't amount to much in that context.
I wasn't being anti-white though. The only reason I put that was because this is exactly how the media would portray her and how the general public would perceive her. A Hispanic officer blasting into a White family's car under these exact circumstances? Forget it!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
This one is completely insane to me. It's the most obvious, with the most evidence, where this pretty much no possible unknowns. I think most of these are bullshit but with some, like Alton Sterling, I will admit that it's POSSIBLE, regardless of likelihood, the police weren't coldblooded murderers. But this one? I don't see any alternative. Pretty much murder. For no reason.

Because there are too many other people who see black people as thugs.

Dude, just go google "philando castile thug". Go ahead. Try it. It's a soul crushing realization.

Many of them won't outright call him a thug, but the narrative is there. He had lots of traffic violations. He's driven with his license suspended or revoked. While not violent, he has a history of being arrested multiple times. He wasn't complying with commands quickly. The officer had more knowledge about both the robber, and Philando, and had more reason to suspect him than what the video suggests. His mother lies about the timeline of the events up to and after he was shot. The girlfriend is a rachety lying bitch. It all comes down to this:

He was a thug that got what was coming to him.

And that's the fucking thing that they do to every motherfucking black man that is shot and killed by police. They dehumanize them. They look up their criminal record. They find out if they've ever done any drugs. They find out where they live, where they work, get whatever negative thing that someone is willing to say or write about them, and reduce that black person, that man who's living their life like everyone else is, like everyone else who is human, and has done both good things and bad, into an animal that wasn't trained well enough to comply with police, and was put down accordingly.

Because there are too many other people who see black people as thugs.

Dude, just go google "philando castile thug". Go ahead. Try it. It's a soul crushing realization.

Many of them won't outright call him a thug, but the narrative is there. He had lots of traffic violations. He's driven with his license suspended or revoked. While not violent, he has a history of being arrested multiple times. He wasn't complying with commands quickly. The officer had more knowledge about both the robber, and Philando, and had more reason to suspect him than what the video suggests. His mother lies about the timeline of the events up to and after he was shot. The girlfriend is a rachety lying bitch. It all comes down to this:

He was a thug that got what was coming to him.

And that's the fucking thing that they do to every motherfucking black man that is shot and killed by police. They dehumanize them. They look up their criminal record. They find out if they've ever done any drugs. They find out where they live, where they work, get whatever negative thing that someone is willing to say or write about them, and reduce that black person, that man who's living their life like everyone else is, like everyone else who is human, and has done both good things and bad, into an animal that wasn't trained well enough to comply with police, and was put down accordingly.

Word. It's like I've got to be Black Jesus for my life to be of any redeeming value if a co decides to blow my head off. It's the same mentality that justified slavery: Gotta dehumanize to justify the cruelty.

Not even video evidence matters.

"Oh just get body cams it'll be ok"

its 5 minutes from my house. My girlfriend has begged me not to go.

Ain't no point in bothering. Won't do anything.

This scares the shit out of me, as an avid gun enthusiast and occasional pot user who happens to be Brown. The idea that I can be killed and it excused as 'it's okay, he was high on pot!'

commedieu

Banned
This scares the shit out of me, as an avid gun enthusiast and occasional pot user who happens to be Brown. The idea that I can be killed and it excused as 'it's okay, he was high on pot!'

Don't worry. You can be put down just because you're brown too. It's not the drugs. It's the skin tone that gets you executed like a dog.

We shouldn't have to bitch and moan about this. The whole nation should have stomped this out decades ago. Yet here we are, still trying to figure out how to protest the white way.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Word. It's like I've got to be Black Jesus for my life to be of any redeeming value if a co decides to blow my head off. It's the same mentality that justified slavery: Gotta dehumanize to justify the cruelty.

"Oh just get body cams it'll be ok"

Ain't no point in bothering. Won't do anything.

:(

Usobuko

Banned
I would honestly find it refreshing if we had law enforcement en masse just come clean and say this.

The way to race dominance is to be subtle.

Even with ever increasing diversity recognition, you still know the end game is to put who exactly at the top. But hey, they would be given the benefit of doubts because it's not explicitly expressed, things just happened to be this way.

Injustices that cannot be fully reasoned would be just written off as an unfortunate, one-off incident.

Nydius

Shit like this makes me disappointed that The Guardian stopped tracking deaths by Police as they did in 2015 and 2016 with their "The Counted: People Killed by Police in the US" database.

Fuck fiction, the real "license to kill" isn't some double-0 program it's anyone carrying a police badge.

The majority of people in power in this country have long since decided that cops can never do any wrong. Not just when it comes to outright murdering people but when it comes to breaking all manner of laws. We had a years long issue where I live where undercover cops and ATF agents were investigating drug and gun smuggling but several essentially went rogue and became a criminal element themselves. It took years before any of them got caught. Even after they were caught, the prosecution decided they could only make a case against two of them. Those two went to trial and both were acquitted based almost solely on the defense of "undercover work is hard!11!!1!".

Absolute fucking bullshit. Anyone with any critical thinking skills can see the badge has become a shield. They're not in the business of protecting anymore, we live in a police state where they have as much power and weaponry as the armies of small countries. And people just gobble that shit up. I see it every day, living in a predominantly older, white community I see nothing but "back the blue" flags and "police lives matter" bumper stickers, and blue line American flags.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable civil war to happen. It's been building up for a while.

Lev

I'm not surprised at the result. Cops who kill unarmed blacks while being caught on camera can't even be put on trial for a murder charge in most cases.

Also character assassination >>> video footage, apparently.

He was pulled up 46 times
Anyone know how many of those were based on nothing. Like this last stop that killed him?
I can't imagine how to still love ones country when its police keep finding reasons to stop you while driving from A to B that's some police state archipelago the USA has got going for people of color.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This bullshit makes me so apoplectic, I don't even know what to do with myself. And I'm fucking white. I can't even imagine what this is like for black people. This country and its justice system are broken beyond repair.

EDIT - I take that back. Our justice system is working exactly as intended.

Nephtis

Is it possible to sue the city for his murder?

Whenever we have clear cut shit like this and the shooter walks free, the family should be able to bankrupt the hell out of the police department.

Money, not justice, is the only thing that can bring about change.

R0ckman

Is it possible to sue the city for his murder?

Whenever we have clear cut shit like this and the shooter walks free, the family should be able to bankrupt the hell out of the police department.

Money, not justice, is the only thing that can bring about change.

One thing I don't get, if its a few "bad apples" why the hell are a majority of the police fighting to fix their own system?

Top Bottom