• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Godzilla appreciation thread

Hello all you Gfans out there! This is a thread dedicated to you, feel free to discuss all things kaiju and Godzilla related. You can post memes, videos, opinions, what is your favorite Godzilla movie, ect. ! We are here to celebrate Gojira and the legacy he has left on film.​

Godzilla Size Compassion 1954-2019

godzillaisba.jpg

Latest Godzilla movies:

Godzilla King of the Monsters (2019)

merlin_155327139_eaba4b9d-98df-49c6-84ff-0c14b000a885-superJumbo.jpg

Shin Godzilla (2016)

shin_gozilla_trl1_shiro.086854-h_2016.jpg

• Through its inception in 1932 Toho Studios has produced some of the most iconic movies stars of all time with its first two big critical and commercial successes Gojira and Seven Samurai in 1954. Since then, Toho and director of Gojira would pioneer a new film technique they would call "suitmation" where the actor would be placed in a rubber suit to be filmed on location. This was director's Ishrio Honda's solution to the expensive and time consuming technique of stop motion animation like in Hollywood's King Kong. Since the original, Godzilla has starred in an impressive 33 movies in his career, making it the longest running movie franchise in history.​

Suitmation:
Meet the man behind the suit.

C8y3Vj4VoAE8jdK.jpg

godzilla-raids-again-1955.jpg

Gojira-768x432-1.jpg

Latest Blu-Ray release (2019)

• The renowned Criterion Collection is selling a collection that showcases the entire Showa era in HD for $169.99.

Release Date: October 29th, 2019

cwdyHIkniaV8zGU6AiJ3VV9sROxOTd_original.jpg

Gallery

1903020_10152141182213867_3286775883259623335_n.jpg

godzilla-new-poster-1-1.png

DoOdZnKVAAAajlW.jpg

DoOdZBHUUAIpaG4.jpg

8246570609e9f2a96e93a603a22a0e86.jpg

A little bit about me:

• I have watched Godzilla movies since I can remember being a kid, my first was Godzilla: King of the Monsters (American Version).
  • My favorite Godzilla movies are Godzilla Vs. Destroya and Biollante
  • The music in the series is HIGHLY underrated imo
  • I really liked the new Shin Godzilla and GKOTM movies
  • I think right now is the best time to be a godzilla fan :)

My Godzilla knowledge was limited to the 1998 and 2014 movies up until earlier this year when I decided to binge a bunch of them in preparation for King of the Monsters. I was surprised by how much I liked them. The monster battle in the 1964 Ghidorah movie is fucking hilarious.

Also, KotM wasn't half as bad as people made it out to be. Yeah, it was stupid, but it's entirely satisfying when you're watching it purely for kaijus wreaking havoc. Rodan disposing of the fighter jets with an aileron roll was fucking epic.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
The movies I remember most when I was a kid was the King Kong vs Godzilla one and also the one with Matt Broderick and Hank Azaria. I was 10 when the Hank Azaria one came out and I really enjoyed it. I was super into video games and computer graphics at the time and thought Godzilla looked fukkin realistic and remember being super impressed. I remember being annoyed at the King Kong vs Godzilla one cuz I felt like they made Godzilla appear to lose that fight, but at the same time I think he just went back into the ocean and no one really won.

2014 Godzilla is one of my favs for certain. The mesh of music and atmosphere was well done. Parachute scene stands out for me as I remember holding my breath through the sequence. KotM sucked, and barely made it through it. Have no hope for the future if they make elements from that movie as part of the ethos of the series.

I went in to Shin Godzilla hearing it was a pretty drastic change in the formula, and it ended up being one of my all time favorites. Shame we'll never get a sequel or another move in that universe.
I didn't like Shin Godzilla my first viewing but after 2 more I really appreciate it, its up there for me

Codes 208

I will agree with a lot of godzilla fans that godzilla ‘98 was a terrible movie (but being the movie that got me into the series as a kid i do respect it)

Buuut, the follow up cartoon was my fucking jam as a kid
fGzTqP.gif

Last edited:

Gandara

I initially hate the idea of shin Godzilla but after watching some videos about the movie , it’s got me interested in seeing it at some point.

One of the first Godzilla films I saw was Godzilla vs Gigan. It was my favorite at the time. I was probably 8 or 9 when I saw it. Didn’t know it was using reused footage but the Gigan has always been my favorite kaiju and liked the Godzilla suit (even though this movie and the Godzilla seems to be panned by most Godzilla fans). And living in Florida at the time, I could related to the big cockroach aliens. :). Still hold a place in my heart since it introduced me to the franchise.

Also used to go to the bargain matinee and watch Godzilla double features. Last year also marathoned all the Godzilla films up to Final Wars and still need to watch the modern ones. Never watched the first American Godzilla and don’t plan on it.

Minilla can die in a fire. :p

Gandara

I have not seen that one yet. I can't judge how terrible your taste is until I do. Is that a...shrimp?

The name of the kaiju is Ebirah. Ebi is shrimp in Japanese, so you are correct in your assumption. My take on the movie is I thought it felt like a movie guest staring Godzilla. Reading the wiki on it, it was originally suppose to star King Kong but it fell through.

People who don't like Godzilla didn't have a real Childhood. That's just a fact of life.

As a 90's kid Hesei era stuff is my jam. Millenium era was okay in general but I'm glad the Monsterverse and Shin Godzilla came along and revitalized it. Imo:

Godzilla '14: Had great atmosphere. Some people don't like the build up to the final fight but I think the whole movie sells how a "realistic" monster attack would go. You get a sense of the destruction from a human perspective and it's just a good introduction to the Gman.

Shin Godzilla: Made Godzilla scary and politically relevant again. You can tell Toho put a lot of craft and care into this and it works on many different levels.

KotM: I loved this movie. It's just a high production "Godzills vs" movie and that's all it needs to be. It's fun and flashy. '14 did the groundwork for establishing what the creatures could do, KotM just goes all out with it.

Last night I watched Godzilla vs Gigan (1972). Great stuff. I have tons of respect for this franchise, one of the most iconic movie monsters ever.

Top Bottom