• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OGL 4.5 announced (Nvidia drivers out), next gen initative, MS joins Khronos (WebGL)

Saw this on GOL and Phoronix

http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...d-work-started-on-next-generation-opengl.4144
https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2MDE
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc1OTg
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTc2MDA
https://www.khronos.org/news/press/khronos-group-announces-key-advances-in-opengl-ecosystem

Khronos publicly released the OpenGL 4.5 specification today, bringing the very latest functionality to the industry’s most advanced 3D graphics API while maintaining full backwards compatibility, enabling applications to incrementally use new features. The full specification and reference materials are available for immediate download from the OpenGL Registry. New functionality in the core OpenGL 4.5 specification includes:

Direct State Access (DSA) – object accessors enable state to be queried and modified without binding objects to contexts, for increased application and middleware efficiency and flexibility;
Flush Control - applications can control flushing of pending commands before context switching – enabling high-performance multithreaded applications;
Robustness - providing a secure platform for applications such as WebGL browsers, including preventing a GPU reset affecting any other running applications;
OpenGL ES 3.1 API and shader compatibility – to enable the easy development and execution of the latest OpenGL ES applications on desktop systems;
DX11 emulation features – for easier porting of applications between OpenGL and Direct3D.

Khronos announced a call for participation today in a project to define a future open standard for high-efficiency access to graphics and compute on modern GPUs. Key directions for the new ground-up design include explicit application control over GPU and CPU workloads for performance and predictability, a multithreading-friendly API with greatly reduced overhead, a common shader program intermediate language, and a strengthened ecosystem focus that includes rigorous conformance testing. Fast-paced work on detailed proposals and designs are already underway, and any company interested to participate is strongly encouraged to join Khronos for a voice and a vote in the development process.

“OpenGL has played an important role in the growth of mobile, workstation and consumer graphics,” said Raja Koduri, chief technology officer, graphics at AMD. “AMD is tremendously excited to take a contributing role in the Next Generation OpenGL initiative as an evolution of the OpenGL standard aligned with AMD’s vision for low-overhead and multi-threaded graphics APIs.”

“We are super excited to contribute and work with the Next Generation OpenGL Initiative, and bring our experience of low-overhead and explicit graphics APIs to build an efficient standard for multiple platforms and vendors in Khronos,” said Johan Andersson, technical director at Frostbite - Electronic Arts. “This work is of critical importance to get the most out of modern GPUs on both mobile and desktop, and to make it easier to develop advanced and efficient 3D applications - enabling us to build amazing future games with Frostbite on all platforms.”

“OpenGL is a critical part of enabling developers to bring the best possible products to customers across a variety of platforms,” said Valve’s Gabe Newell. “We are committed to the Next Generation OpenGL initiative and are closely collaborating with Khronos members to create a high-performance rendering interface for SteamOS and future Valve games.”

Timothy Lottes:

As a contributor to this project, I'm also tremendously excited that this industry-wide effort from the Promoters and Contributing Members of Khronos is set to bring forward a next generation graphics API which is the high-performance platform-portable solution to the needs of modern games and applications! OpenGL has a very bright future.

http://timothylottes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/next-generation-opengl-initiative.html?spref=tw

Relevant:
oglng21ac4j.png

oglng37vdvi.png

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
MS joins Khronos.. Now where have I seen this..

This sounds like a BFD. This is a BFD, right? What does this do for adoption and cross-platform games compatibility in the near to mid-term (lets say 1-3 years down the road)?

Such an exciting time. API's won't get a change this big to them in a long time. If you want to jump into development now is a great time.

Of course D3D isn't dead, but what does this mean for them? It's MS's baby right? Is that what this WebGL is all about?

MS joins Khronos.. Now where have I seen this..

OK, so MS is going with Khronos?

Durante

Yeah, this is really exciting stuff.

With Oculus on board, I wonder if it is too much to hope for some API-level VR support.

Kezen

Banned
I am not sure if this is a bait comment or not.
But sure... why not, "metal coding" is on PC.
Maybe OpenGL could allow that a few years ago but low-level has been a hot topic since Mantle has been on the market.

Low-level access as a standard on PC will come with DX12.

Durante

With Valve's Steamworks VR SDK, and Oculus' own VR API, that would be pretty redundant. Nice, but redundant.
I really don't think so. I'm not talking about a VR API, I'm talking about provisions in the graphics API to make it more suitable for VR rendering, and communicate the fact that it's rendering for VR to the graphics driver. That's not something either Valve or Oculus can do.

Krejlooc

Banned
I really don't think so. I'm not talking about a VR API, I'm talking about provisions in the graphics API to make it more suitable for VR rendering, and communicate the fact that it's rendering for VR to the graphics driver. That's not something either Valve or Oculus can do.

Ah, then the changes you're requesting are almost assuredly coming. I assume, for instance, that the Tangram Transform technique will ultimately be built into the OpenGL API eventually, since it has uses beyond just VR.

Yeah, this is really exciting stuff.

With Oculus on board, I wonder if it is too much to hope for some API-level VR support.

Yes.... yes please. I mean if not this time around then next. I think it's a given that VR has to get it's own API consideration

Durante

Ah, then the changes you're requesting are almost assuredly coming.
I wish I was that confident. After witnessing not one but two attempts at radical OpenGL modernization fall flat (and getting excited for both of them), I take a more cautions stance when it comes to the introduction of new features (and the timeframe for them) now. Maybe I'm just getting old :p

zoku88

Over/under for the amount of time until amd supports this? I'm guessing four months.
Such an exciting time. API's won't get a change this big to them in a long time. If you want to jump into development now is a great time.

Of course D3D isn't dead, but what does this mean for them? It's MS's baby right? Is that what this WebGL is all about?

OK, so MS is going with Khronos?
I think he is alluding to the policy of embrace, extend, extinguish. Maybe

CTLance

Promises are all fine and dandy, but they already had at the very least two attempts at this, and both times fell flat with a lot of legacy cruft hindering any meaningful progress despite repeated claims on the contrary.

Oh well. Microsoft joining again is interesting. Hope they didn't have to do too many back room deals for that.

Also, oh boy, webGL. Given the quality and complexity of the current GPU drivers, promising stability and safety in a web-enabled 3D API is quite a tall tale. This will probably be pretty entertaining to watch.

Durante

Over/under for the amount of time until amd supports this? I'm guessing four months.
Do you mean OpenGL 4.5 "this" or OpenGL NG "this"?

I think he is alluding to the policy of embrace, extend, extinguish. Maybe
I think people still haven't fully understood MS' place in this brave new world of smart devices. They can no more extinguish OpenGL than they can make people use Windows on their phones.

Top Bottom