• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, how many have you bought something from the Epic Store.

drotahorror

Why would I ever buy from a digital game store who's company relies on scummy and shady business practices and tactics with one of the worst, most featureless launchers I've ever heard of? Not to mention the numerous bugs their pos launcher has encountered (100% CPU usage, high CPU temps, high GPU usage, high GPU idle temps).

I'll never buy a game on EGS, I'll never redeem a free one or install their launcher. I'm not opposed to other storefronts, I own plenty games on Ubisoft Connect (UPLAY), Origin, and Gog. Epic can suck my dick though.

For people that do use it, I've read that Legendary is a much better alternative - https://github.com/derrod/legendary

lukilladog

I really don't get the tribalism in gaming I really don't. Every billion dollar company is a piece of shit, they don't care about you! I go where the best deal is. End of....

You would be surprised at how many best deal and discount groups are there. It is strange that you don´t seem to have a problem with epic exclusives though.

I bought Assassin's Creed Valhalla and Saints Row The Third Remastered.

Most people don't care and buy on it. Every company doesn't care about morality when it's against straight white men.

Cryio

Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold (so got the base game + both expansions + AC3 Remastered + Liberation HD Remastered) for 24 euro in May 2020. Damn good deal.

Metro Exodus + both expansions: 15 euro

Control Complete Edition: 15 euro

playXray

Nothing, not even for free. Don’t hold a grudge or anything, I just don’t have time for yet another store when I have plenty to play with Steam and the MS store (for Gamepass).

raduque

I bought Control. I can even play it without having EGS installed. Bunch of free games too. Been debating picking up Manhunter, that shark game.

Steam has:

Trading cards (some people like these)
Big Picture mode
Broadcasting/streaming options
Game-specific forums
Parental Controls
Library sharing
A MASSIVE library of games
Mobile app
Item trading and marketplace
Customizable user profiles
Review system
Media sharing
Customizable backgrounds for games via grid system
Library organization
Most of this is useless garbage. I hate Steam's library since they changed it, the forums are trash, and a large amount of this shit is bloatware.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Most of this is useless garbage. I hate Steam's library since they changed it, the forums are trash, and a large amount of this shit is bloatware.

I have already addressed this.

Not everyone wants/needs all of the options that Steam has to offer. If those hold no value to you that's perfectly fine. We're not all cookie-cutter versions of each other. I personally hate EGS, but other people love them. We're not bonded together on this forum because of a platform (Xbox, Playstation, Steam, Epic Games Store, et cetera). We're bonded together by our love of gaming. :)

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Confess your unholy sin along with what you did buy? If they can get you to buy something, what would it be?

For myself, I still haven't bought anything yet.
raz degan isola 12 GIF by Isola dei Famosi

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I bought Sponge Bob, Assassin's Creed Origins/Odyssey, Mortal Shell, Desperados 3, RDR 2 with coupons and i'm planning to buy Chivalry 2 and maybe Kena too. I will buy again if they continue to give coupons.

TLDR: I love coupons.

kiphalfton

I have bought from Origin and EGS. Come at me.

Seriously though, this hatred for EGS is stupid. We have 500 launchers, it is what it is. Get over it. If you have some personal beef with Epic, nobody cares and you can keep your opinion to yourself.

Brofist

You don't get it because you obviously don't know anything about the different storefronts. Steam has actually put money they've made into quality of life improvements for their customers. Epic's storefront is a steaming pile of manure.

Steam has:

Trading cards (some people like these)
Big Picture mode
Broadcasting/streaming options
Game-specific forums
Parental Controls
Library sharing
A MASSIVE library of games
Mobile app
Item trading and marketplace
Customizable user profiles
Review system
Media sharing
Customizable backgrounds for games via grid system
Library organization

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head. Epic Games Store has been around for almost three years now. They are a multi-billion dollar company who decided they would rather spend their money fighting Apple (and losing) over in-app purchases rather than enhancing their storefront. The two storefronts aren't in the same league by any stretch of the imagination. And yet, Epic is telling me that I have to use their crappy storefront in order to get Epic Games Store exclusive games. I'm not going to use a garbage storefront from a garbage company headed up by a garbage human being.

On topic, I have purchased zero games from Epic, but I get their free games every week. I have never played them, and I will never get their launcher. I only get these free games because Epic has to pay money for every free game that is claimed, and I want to do my part in helping them towards bankruptcy.
Not saying that poster in particular, but some of the Sony fans on this site have taken a weird liking to Epic/Sweeney after he praised the PS5 last year during that whole UE5 thing, even though they aren't even PC gamers. Speaking of irrational.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I used one of the $10 off coupons to buy the New York expansion for the Division 2 for $5. Which added it to my Ubisoft account when I launch the game through Uplay (even if the epic launcher isn't running) so that was pretty cool.

I actually use the Epic launcher quite a bit for Magic: Arena and Genshin Impact, but haven't bought anything from any free games. I've installed and launched quite a few of the free weekly games. No real problem with it, per se, but it's super barebones compared with Steam.

Brofist

I bought Control. I can even play it without having EGS installed. Bunch of free games too. Been debating picking up Manhunter, that shark game.

Why not just go with GOG then?

Last edited:

Merkades

I bought Operencia The Stolen Sun for like 5$ and Crysis Remastered for 10-15$ fron EGS (both using 10$ off coupons). I also bought Borderlands 3 from GMG on EGS. And so far that is it. I kinda want Kena, and if Wonderlands is time locked then I will buy another key from GMG or what not.

I don't like them, but if they offer a good enough deal, or a solid enough exclusive, then I will probably take it. It does not help that I don't really want to support Sony much either (exclusives only, 'cause they are quite good). To say nothing about Ninty or MS.

RafterXL

Tribalism is a very odd way to word it. Most people just prefer Steam. It's where their games are, it's still the most feature rich platform, they have haven't done anything overly insulting to their customer base. I find the plastic box "tribalism" to be much more disturbing personally. Fans of a particular PC game store front seem mild to me compared to console warriors.
Nah, you got that backwards. Console tribalism is stupid, but at least it's seperate hardware and people actually have to make a decision with what hardware they buy. PC storefront tribalism is the highest form of dipshittery. You don't have to buy a new computer to install a different launcher, and you literally don't sacrifice anything by having multiple launchers installed.

Some kid who can't afford an Xbox & Playstation, but buys one, talks it up and downplays the other is far less annoying than some Steam zealot who whines in every EGS thread about "trading cards" and other dumb shit.

Perfer one over the other all you want, hell I even prefer Steam, but being a *storefront* fanboy is far more pathetic than a hardware fanboy.

Fahdis

Nah, you got that backwards. Console tribalism is stupid, but at least it's seperate hardware and people actually have to make a decision with what hardware they buy. PC storefront tribalism is the highest form of dipshittery. You don't have to buy a new computer to install a different launcher, and you literally don't sacrifice anything by having multiple launchers installed.

Some kid who can't afford an Xbox & Playstation, but buys one, talks it up and downplays the other is far less annoying than some Steam zealot who whines in every EGS thread about "trading cards" and other dumb shit.

Perfer one over the other all you want, hell I even prefer Steam, but being a *storefront* fanboy is far more pathetic than a hardware fanboy.

There is a fix for this. Its called GOG Galaxy. I use that for all storefronts pretty much and its beautiful to look at.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I used the $10 coupon to get AC Odyssey for $5 or $7. I always add the free games so I can link them to GeForce Now.

Last edited:

Vlodril

I have bought various things. Why wouldn't i? Having a fanatical attachment to a pc storefront is weird as hell. I'll take the cheapest price thanks.

lukilladog

I have bought various things. Why wouldn't i? Having a fanatical attachment to a pc storefront is weird as hell. I'll take the cheapest price thanks.

You will take the cheapest price, but you will also take the artificially created only price on several of the high profile hot launches?. If true, then your position is just about personal satisfaction and convenience, which is no better than the one from the steam or GOG fanatics.

Vlodril

You will take the cheapest price, but you will also take the artificially created only price on several of the high profile hot launches?. If true, then your position is just about personal satisfaction and convenience, which is no better than the one from the steam or GOG fanatics.

I have no idea what you are trying to say. English being my second language sometimes i guess things fly over my head. Of course we should look for our personal satisfaction what i find weird is that people get satisfaction from not picking up a game at all (despite its price or availability) because it's not on the program they like to use.

To each their own i guess.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I have bought some things, all of them exclusives or timed exclusives. Stuff like Metro Exodus, Control, and Tetris Effect. I prefer to have my stuff in one place on steam but I don't think EGS is killing OC gaming or anything ridiculous.

Nothing, outside of Alien isolation for $5 , when I got my quest 2.
Got all the free games though.

Got some games like Anno 1800 on Ubisoft store along with Splinter cell collection.
I try to buy using steam and gog only but occasionally something isn't there.

lukilladog

I have no idea what you are trying to say. English being my second language sometimes i guess things fly over my head. Of course we should look for our personal satisfaction what i find weird is that people get satisfaction from not picking up a game at all (despite its price or availability) because it's not on the program they like to use.

To each their own i guess.

Ok, let me concede that from all the people who refuse to buy on Epic, there is a portion that don´t buy from them just because they love steam too much. So?. you don´t share their love?, maybe they don´t share your passion to play the latest and greatest Epic exclusives either. I don´t see why is that weird.

Xerazal

Neo Member
I've never understood the "PC storefront wars"....I'm not a PC gamer, but it seems unbelievably stupid.

What am I missing and why would you care?
Its just PC gamers wanting their own "console war".

Honestly it's stupid.

Btw I've bought world war Z and crysis remastered on EGS. I prefer to have my games under a single storefront, steam, but only because I already had a steam account with hundreds of games on it. Beyond that, I have no ill will towards epic, no fanboy thoughts towards steam, etc.

They're companies. They want money. They don't care about you or I. So I'm not gonna play this childish fanboy game.

pr0cs

Bought lots from EGS like WWZ, Iron Harvest, Tetris Effect, Mortal Shell...
I like playing games not stores and I don't give a shit where I get my software.

Top Bottom