• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK; I'm from Mars, and I want to run a *GOOD* YouTube channel...

I'm still interested in running a YouTube channel for gaming. I have no idea how to go about doing this, hassle-free. I'd love to operate a channel, maybe to focus on crititicizing Resident Evil, and other horror video games, or maybe just things in general that hopefully would attract an audience. It could prove hard, as I noticed the Internet kind of feels dead a lot these days, with people using forums less and more likely hanging out on Twitter, Reddit or Facebook all of the time. It's just a case of trying to get people interested, and when I say "people" - I don't mean every damn troll on Earth, that just wants to act like an imbecile.

The thing is, I've had hassle from trolls before, and my reputation has been damaged, considerably. I'd rather not turn off voting and disable comments altogether, as that would be detrimental to the progression of my channel, since you kind of require feedback to grow. But I know that tends to be very common in online platforms everywhere, and there's nothing more annoying than having stalkers that tell their cronies to start harassing people. It's something that we just have to live with in our modern era, but it's still a big issue. When I talk to people in real life about the bother I've experienced with assholes on the Internet, they don't exactly shrug off what I say, but they kind of tell me or at least hint that I just have to get on with things, and not let that negative behaviour affect me as a person. In recent years, I found myself getting more and more agitated, lonely, and defensive, mainly over online harassment and my own personal problems.

So... I just wanted to ask: What stuff do I need to set all this up? Looking at the videos from users like Suzy Lu or Tipster, what type of webcam do you think they use to achieve that realism in their content? It looks like you're standing right in front of them. Suzy is almost blind, by the way, but her disability does not prevent her from doing what she loves.

How does Art-Official Entertainment have a video playing behind him, and all this other stuff going on at the same time with his followers? How do you play a game online and have yourself showing up on the screen? Really, I haven't the foggiest clue how any of this works. It looks like a really expensive hobby as well. But I know bits and pieces about how to do basic videos using converting sites. My default webcam is too snowy looking, and it's hard to understand my accent, because I talk kind of fast and in an awkward way. I'm not putting any more acting related content online, because the videos are usually stolen by morons, and people think I look retarded and talentless to boot.

I've also been suffering from anxiety, so I start slurring my words as I talk, and my blood pressure goes way up. I'll show you a few videos so you can get the general idea of what I think is good content. I don't mean what they're saying, per se. I meant what they have as their gear and stuff. What are good thumbnails, tags, and quirks to employ in your videos?

I really feel like such a newbie having to come onto a gaming forum to ask this, but we are all gamers that want to be heard. Despite being on the Internet for like two decades, I honestly don't have a clue what to do here, and no one really seems to take anything I say seriously. Maybe I just surf the wrong side of the web, huh? However, I do want to spend the rest of 2019 treating everything as a learning curve. I'd really like to show all those people who mocked me, like this Nemesis dude and all that, that I can be a better, or just as good YouTuber, as the next person who comes along. I'd also prefer to shit on Capcom less and less, although I still reckon they are money grabbers at times, so I feel strongly about what they've been doing with the Resident Evil franchise. Basically, it's time to start being a man...

I had to edit this post, because I had made a few spelling errors.

Last edited:
If you make a channel that appears to be aimed at shitting on something then you need to be prepared for fans of said thing to shit on you.

Well, videos have to have positive and negative statements. You also have to be honest and true to your word. Although like you say, you cannot go overkill with the hate, because then it looks bad.

TLZ

Banned
Well, videos have to have positive and negative statements. You also have to be honest and true to your word. Although like you say, you cannot go overkill with the hate, because then it looks bad.
Imo, be genuine and stay true to yourself. It's so easy to start acting and fall into the trap of copying others. Being true will definitely not sit well with many, but at least you feel at peace not faking anything, and have like minded people on your side. It doesn't matter if people oppose you, it's just life. And always remember every one started from 0. Yes some buy views and they'll never say it or course, but many haven't.

If you're genuine with good content you'll surely attract an audience. Just needs time so be patient.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
NEVER EVER show your face
So many times has a dudes face ruined my interest in their channels
NEVER EVER use clickbait shit or USE ALL CAPS or reaction video thumbnails
NEVER EVER stretch out your videos make your point and vids under 8 minutes

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Some of my favorite youtubers have like 6 videos and they are all good but they just died/disappeared and they thoroughly go over topics without needing to have some dumb skit. Or show their fat faces to act mad and stretch their videos. Fuck you Angry Joe!

Graciaus

You either come with useful information, be amazing at a game, have a gimmick, or have the personality to carry a video. Your second paragraph does not sound like you will have any success at all.

Just subscribe to reddit and see if a post gains attention. Just be prepared for downvotes when you insult what people like.

DonF

If you really want to run a youtube channel, do it. If you want to create a successful youtube channel, quit your job and become a full time youtuber, you will have to focus in current games, have the latest and greatest day -1, create controversy, click bait and all that shit.

Or, be different, have quality essays, great editing and audio (dear god please, have good audio). Like, have the X factor...its not easy.

Jae Mara

All that technical stuff you mention is surprisingly easier than you think. Streamlabs OBS is free and is what most streamers use to and do all that extra stuff, layouts, chat etc AFAIK. You can just record stuff too using same software if you don't want to go the streaming route which by what you have previously said maybe you shouldn't stream until you are more comfortable in your speech and communication. No need for camera, many great streamers don't use it, or just use it periodically.
Perhaps pre-written edited videos seems like a better route right now but that does take extensive amount of time to do, far longer than just streaming. Need decent knowledge of video editing software though so there is that...You have to be committed, enthusiastic and very good at what you do if you ever hope to succeed.

As some have mentioned above I have seen some great video creators die on 6-8 videos because they couldn't pull in the crowds and it never became something worthwhile for them to do. A real goddamn shame as there is so much popular trash out there that add nothing that I would gladly like to trade.

Last but not least there are always people out there trying to bring others down. always! If you ever hope to grow your channel ignore those that have nothing productive to say. Unfortunately their lives of giving unnecessary shit to people online are sad ones.

If you shit on something loved expect the dislike algorithms to bury you.

Edit: and for YouTube to like you they want you to upload constantly all week, and for the users to like you they want quality content constantly, if you're alone and have a job it's not possible.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is just what I look for in good channels, I'm certainly no expect on making one.
  • Don't be clickbaity / overly hyperbolic like that awful first video up there
  • Don't try to be the first to get videos out about a topic, you're going to get squashed and may release something rushed and not well thought out
  • Write the webcam off, no one worthwhile actually cares what you look like. Get a good microphone and learn to speak confidently and clearly
  • Write scripts. Don't just sit there umming and ahhing, and avoid making thousands of micro edits to remove filler
  • Cover what you're passionate about. It's going to come across as forced and awkward if you don't care about what you're talking about like flavour-of-the-week Steam trash

Shifty

I found this to be a very informative resource from someone who makes good content with higher-than-average production values:

As funny as the above video shitpost is, this is what I'm actually on about:

Last edited:

Domisto

Why do you want to do this again?

Seriously, ask yourself that a few times.

Think of some people that you admire and imagine what their answer would be.

Use that to decide what content you create. Be true to yourself and your potential audience.

The technical stuff is easy to learn over time. Mic, pop guard, green screen, OBS, public domain music, practice. But I would recommend starting with narration only. Most stuff I watch is narration only.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My advice:
Give up on that dream and get a real job. Making money exclusively off of YouTube is very hard to do.

Doing a good YouTube page is hard to do

TacosNSalsa

I don't want to dissuade you but a bad reputation is difficult to shake off especially of you piss off enough people . If they find your channel again and recognize your face or voice they'll just continue to annoy you.

The technical side of content creating is definitely easier than actually creating the content . When you're just starting off you don't need anything crazy . You're going to need a pc (duh) or laptop with a good processor but again nothing crazy. You don't need an x99 intel 32 thread $2000 processor . My streamin/recording pc has a Ryzen 1700 and it's a freaking workhorse . Programs like OBS and Xsplit prefer more threads to higher frequency .

A graphics card is also helpful and it AMDs case needed in most cases. Something like a 1050ti should be more than enough and will allow you to use hardware encoding which is good for recording while playing a game as it alleviates the pressure on your cpu . If you're going to do console games then you'd need a capture device like an elgato or avermedia .

Winter John

Don't rush out and buy a bunch of expensive gear. Concentrate on making good content first and worry about the gear later.

iconmaster

Banned
As far as I can tell, the secret is this: consistency.

Penny Arcade have been uploading comics Monday, Wednesday and Friday without fail for twenty years. IMO this, more than anything else, is why they’re so successful today. You visit PA on one of those days and know you’ll be seeing something new.

It’s the same on YouTube. You don’t need that fixed of an upload schedule, but you need consistency. You have to commit yourself to regular content, even when the initial results aren’t promising. Plenty of people try a thing a few times, don’t see immediate success, and give up. If you listen to what the YouTubers themselves say about their careers, this is usually what they emphasize: a lot of work over the long term.

The tech and know-how will come with time. Consistency first.

Hudo

This is just what I look for in good channels, I'm certainly no expect on making one.
  • Don't be clickbaity / overly hyperbolic like that awful first video up there
  • Don't try to be the first to get videos out about a topic, you're going to get squashed and may release something rushed and not well thought out
  • Write the webcam off, no one worthwhile actually cares what you look like. Get a good microphone and learn to speak confidently and clearly
  • Write scripts. Don't just sit there umming and ahhing, and avoid making thousands of micro edits to remove filler
  • Cover what you're passionate about. It's going to come across as forced and awkward if you don't care about what you're talking about like flavour-of-the-week Steam trash
I concur with this list.

Most of the channels I watch are like this. Digital Foundry Retro, Mandalore Gaming and SsethTzeentach (I like his offensive humour and he's covering games that I like).

zeorhymer

Are you of the female persuasion? Are you cute? They by all means, use a webcam. You'll get so many subs, it's not funny. Yeah I said it and you guys know it's true!

Seriously, OP, what is your definition of *GOOD*? Are you doing an opinion piece on games? An impression? Analysis of content? Your last statement about shitting on Capcom less and less doesn't sound like you actually care about games, but more on banging on companies because you're upset at the games they publish/develop. It's one thing to bang on a company because they're doing hypocritical practices (ie Twitch and thotts or YouTube's adpocalyps) and another to bang on them because they keep making the same game (as stated in your RE stuff.) Do you know why they keep making RE games? It's cause they've sold more than 90 million units since the debut in 1996. So of course they'll keep making it.

As for the other part of comments, well, that's part of business. There are "trolls" and "critics." Trolls keep pulling the topic off subject or just not write anything meaningful. You just have to ignore those. Critics are the ones that keep asking "Where's the receipts?", "How'd you get to that conclusion," "It sounds like you have something against so-and-so." Those are the comments that you have to read at to figure out what you need to incorporate to grow. Everyone has a bias, naturally it'll come out and you may get called out on it or have people agree with you cause that's also how they feel.

I guess first off, figure out what your channel will start off. If it's not working, try a different angle till you find one that resonates with both you and your audience.

iconmaster

Banned
Are you of the female persuasion? Are you cute? They by all means, use a webcam. You'll get so many subs, it's not funny. Yeah I said it and you guys know it's true!

I briefly thought the OP was Suzy Lu, based on the example video, and could not understand why OP needed any advice.

johntown

Banned
1. Say goodbye to having a life and welcome to your new one.
2. Only stream if you are "on" and being a streamer you have to always be "on".
3. Try to have unique content and high quality.
4. Stream as much as you can to get yourself out there and build a fan base (this can take years).
5. Unless you are doing No Commentary streams have a webcam and interact with your chat.
6. Buy a streaming PC with a capture card to ensure your streams are high quality.
7. Make sure you have a decent wired Internet connection (50mbps IMO, 25mbps should work too).
8. Be yourself and try to have fun. Don't try to copy others.
9. To get more people in the beginning offer prizes and raffles (don't do this if you only have like 5 viewers. Wait until you have a semi decent following).

It is hard and takes a lot of work and dedication. Best of luck!

Seriously, OP, what is your definition of *GOOD*? Are you doing an opinion piece on games? An impression? Analysis of content? Your last statement about shitting on Capcom less and less doesn't sound like you actually care about games, but more on banging on companies because you're upset at the games they publish/develop. It's one thing to bang on a company because they're doing hypocritical practices (ie Twitch and thotts or YouTube's adpocalyps) and another to bang on them because they keep making the same game (as stated in your RE stuff.) Do you know why they keep making RE games? It's cause they've sold more than 90 million units since the debut in 1996. So of course they'll keep making it.

No. I'm not handsome at all. But to answer your question about Capcom... I had just been noticing a huge decline in their quality since they ended the original story about Umbrella, and started doing all these shooter-ish games that were hardly scary or atmospheric at all, as well as publishing awful spin off titles. In retrospect, Resident Evil 4 feels like the game that changed, or "ruined" the series. So my amounting hate for the game is due to how that game altered survival horror as we know it. It's not that I hate it overall. It's still a great game, but it didn't quite have that classic Resident Evil 'feel' to it. Although I guess it was bound to happen someday. They couldn't possibly keep them all about fixed camera angles, and it's all about who you can market these products to. You could say, I'm like a purist as well.

zeorhymer

No. I'm not handsome at all. But to answer your question about Capcom... I had just been noticing a huge decline in their quality since they ended the original story about Umbrella, and started doing all these shooter-ish games that were hardly scary or atmospheric at all, as well as publishing awful spin off titles. In retrospect, Resident Evil 4 feels like the game that changed, or "ruined" the series. So my amounting hate for the game is due to how that game altered survival horror as we know it. It's not that I hate it overall. It's still a great game, but it didn't quite have that classic Resident Evil 'feel' to it. Although I guess it was bound to happen someday. They couldn't possibly keep them all about fixed camera angles, and it's all about who you can market these products to. You could say, I'm like a purist as well.
That could be a topic of discussion in one of your videos: "Would a game be successful in today's landscape with 'original' vision/mechanics?" When Konami remastered Silent Hill, they completely missed the point about the use of fog and camera angles. The devs were using creative tricks to get around the hardware limitation to make a very scary game. You'll have to do find a lot of examples and try to convey what you're trying to show to make your case. If you're going to make an informational video, try not to use phrases like 'Capcom f'd up here,' or 'it was stupid of Capcom to...' If it's a rant video, then that wouldn't matter, but be prepared with all of the comments that go with it. All I can say to you is go for it and I hope you can learn with past experiences to make a successful channel.

Well, I don't know if Konami is, or ever was as big of a company as Capcom, but I feel very disheartened you could say, that they ended Silent Hill. I've more or less had to accept that it's probably never going to return, draw a line under it, and move on. With their current state, it just ain't happening...

But anyway, that's a different topic.

Do we have a dedicated topic where Neo users share their youtube channel/videos. Im prepping a big project but feel like a dork to make a whole topic on just me.

DansDans

If anybody wants an idea of what I look and sound like on camera, well... this is it - Michael Jackson style. :messenger_astonished:

I'm not sure why you'd want me to watch a video like that? In your title you've already said "Resident Evil 2 sucks" and "Fuck Capcom". In my head instantly, whenever I see that "Fuck <something>" line it rings an alarm bell in my head that the author/writer/speaker doesnt actually have a well thought out argument and is just jumping in on the whole "Fuck <something>" outrage angle which is really tiresome

Also, not sure why you'd create a page or channel dedicated to being critical of a franchise. It comes across as a bit 'sour grapes'.

Lots of people criticize games and movies, or other topics like music. That's kind of the whole point of the web. It's just doing it in such a way where you don't get on people's badder side from always going on about what's wrong with something, because in all honesty, Capcom doesn't care what we think. Their recent survey was also kind of BS too.

Geki-D

Banned
If anybody wants an idea of what I look and sound like on camera, well... this is it - Michael Jackson style. :messenger_astonished:

A good example of how you should never film, name or act in a YT video.

• A phone shot of your face, and a goddamn VERTICAL shot at that. - No.
  • "Resident Evil 2 sucks. Fuck Capcom!", horrible click baitey title that obviously won't use enough evidence to backup those claims simply based off the quality of the video and it's length. A title like that in a video like that just screams butthurt dumb fanboy opinion (which it is).
  • The video has no real critical analysis, it's just your (terrible) vague opinion that no one cares about.
If you're going to say RE2 sucks and expect people to listen to you, your video better be a near Plinkett-level breakdown of the game with editing. Either that or you're already a big YouTuber and people already care about what you have to say because you've gained their trust in advance.

This is just bad fanboy rambling and considering that from what I've gleaned of your time here on GAF (and reading your Encyclopedia Dramatica), this seems to be a part of your personality that you will never curb.

So besides a few hate views, I don't think you'll ever get anything else. if this is the type of stuff you want to do, and the amount of editing effort you're willing to put in (and looking at your channel, it is) then telling you how to be better is utterly pointless.

Do we have a dedicated topic where Neo users share their youtube channel/videos. Im prepping a big project but feel like a dork to make a whole topic on just me.
Self-promotion is generally against the rules anyway.

Last edited:
Geki-D, are you the user "Mike Diesel" on Twitter who sent tweets about me, to BioDevil_Dom? If not, well... carry on.

The reason I asked, is because he seems to be aware of this thread.

Last edited:
Top Bottom