• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old ass games which feel better than modern day games

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I played Super Metroid for the first time in my life right before Dread released. I like Dread but Super Metroid blows it out of the water in every way.
It's one of the rare situations where I hated the parry system so much that it ruined the game for me.

It's one of the rare situations where I hated the parry system so much that it ruined the game for me.
I haven't beaten Dread yet. I backlogged it after getting stuck like 80% complete and just couldn't be bothered to push through it. Super Metroid I got stuck like 2 or 3 times and it didn't bother me at all.

nkarafo

Where to start....

- A ton of arcade racers, though this genre is almost extinct.
- Quake 1 feels amazing to control.
- Any old school labyrinthine FPS like DOOM/Quake/Duke Nukem have more interesting level designs than modern FPS games.
- Goldeneye and the way you can move your gun independently from the camera (it also has great feeling dual analog controls).
- Genesis Sonic games have better controls/physics than 3D/modern ones.
- Mario 64 has better controls and free roaming than any other 3D game after it.
- Wave Race with it's interactive waves.
- Vanilla WoW had the best PVE content and it's open world PVP was better than any battleground setting.
- Original Starcraft had a much better campaign than the time based one in SC2.

That's on top of my head. I'm getting overwhelmed by all the other examples so no need to post more. Too many games.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Every single arena shooter ever made. Fuck gears of war, fuck COD, fuck uncharted, fuck TLOU. Those games will never reach the heights of Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, or modern iterations like Ultrakill. Gears and COD are what happen when you take a complex beautiful PC exclusive genre and strip it of all of its fun for the console audience

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Mario 64 has better controls and free roaming than any other 3D game after it.
I will never understand why Nintendo keeps changing the 3d mario formula when they already found perfection in 1996. Everything that came after is lackluster in one way or another

Krathoon

I haven't beaten Dread yet. I backlogged it after getting stuck like 80% complete and just couldn't be bothered to push through it. Super Metroid I got stuck like 2 or 3 times and it didn't bother me at all.
Sometimes, they will make a game a little too complex and it takes the fun out of it. Dread is the difficult Metriod game. That is kind of a trend in games lately. I blame From Software for that.

Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast is still the best SC ever released (and for me the best 3d fighting game ever).

Winning Eleven / PES (up to PES5) is still be best football game ever. Even if it's more simplistic then current-gen games.

PGR4 > Forza Horizon. Even if I love FH.

Krathoon

You can't get a digital copy of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2 any more. You kinda have to resort to piracy to get them on the PC now.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
also, i think Super Mario World is the best execution of the 2d Mario Formula ever. Everything that came after doesn't compete. Mario feels so fucking fast and swift in that game, you don't have to wait an eternity for him to get to full running speed, and the level design perfectly complimented that. If it weren't for Mario 64 it'd be the best mario for speedrunning.

In short we got the old school Final Fantasy they stopped making. I actually wanted to vote for it at the GOTY voting here but it wasn’t available in the list. It wasn’t my GOTY though but maybe around #7.

Some longer story cutscene segments felt rushed in a way by being drawings, it’s like they hadn’t had time to do a cutscene and used the storyboard concept art instead. And some boss fights were absolutely brutal, could take like an hour to finish.
But in the end I still loved it.
I completely agree part of the game felt rushed in spots. I also think being on SO MANY platforms hurt its development.

This really does give off FFVII and Ghost in the Shell vibes. I also agree the difficulty needs better balancing.

Scotty W

I will never understand why Nintendo keeps changing the 3d mario formula when they already found perfection in 1996. Everything that came after is lackluster in one way or another
Nintendo builds Mario and many other games starting with the feel and control. This goes a long way to keeping new games fresh, but also has downsides. Personally, I think the controls in SM Galaxy 2 are the best ever, but it sucks that we can’t het sequels to F Zero, Wave Race, or a Paper Mario game without annoying innovations. But it shows a deep commitment to their development philosophy, though as with any such philosophy there are downsides- the upside of course is that Nintendo has SURVIVED.

Top Bottom