• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old games that you wish you had played when they were released

pramod

Banned
What are some games that for some reason when they were released, you never bothered to play, but now regret not doing so when you had the chance?

These are games that even if you wanted to play them now, you might not be able to anymore because of several reasons, maybe the graphics are now too outdated, or maybe you just
don't have the patience anymore.

I think for me the two main franchises that I really regret not playing back then are the X-Wing/Tie-Fighter games and Ultima Underworld I&II.

SeraphJan

I don't care about any game if I've played them on release aside from multiplayer for obvious reason. However I rarely play MP anyways (aside from Fighting game)

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
MGS2 because I'm playing it for the first time right now and the controls are kicking my ass. Wish I had played it after experiencing MGS3 (first foray into the series if not counting the PS Underground demo of MGS1).

Paltheos

Super Metroid is the first game that comes to mind. Even playing it for the first time in the late naughts/early 10s, it was obvious to me how much the game had aged and how much its contemporaries had zoomed past it. I want to think I really would have enjoyed it in the '90s.

Solidus_T

I played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time in Spring 2007 and I was blown away completely. I thought a lot about how I missed out on 10 years of having that game.

nush

Many, many arcade games I never saw in an arcade and only discovered them years later. There's some shumps I really enjoy but they have been passed by now with newer titles in the genre.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for the first time in Spring 2007 and I was blown away completely. I thought a lot about how I missed out on 10 years of having that game.
Out of all the retro games available to buy on modern systems for $5 or $10, this game is the only one I rebought during the 360 days. I think it cost 800 Xbox pts.

Best Castlevania game ever. I remember selling the PS1 disc back to a store for $40 CDN. Who knew the game would be worth a lot of money. I ha the original cover disc (not the greatest hits case). I think it's worth $100s now. lol

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 because I'm playing it for the first time right now and the controls are kicking my ass. Wish I had played it after experiencing MGS3 (first foray into the series if not counting the PS Underground demo of MGS1).

May I make a suggestion? Practice. Every version of the game from 2002 onwards includes VR missions. Its literally all there to get better and get used to the mechanics. Playing the vr missions also immerses you in the story more (you’ll see what I mean if you’re not there yet).

CGNoire

Genji on PS2.

I didnt play it till 2007 and by then I was fully immersed in those 360 shaders. The game is amazing in story, graphics and music but it technically didnt hit as hard as it could have.

KàIRóS

System Shock 2, it took me 2 decades after it's release to play it and it still blew my mind, I would have probably GOATed it if I had played it back then.

lD5wTj2.jpg

DelireMan7

Outside of multiplayer games :

Final Fantasy 6 : played it few years ago and liked it. But the lack of easy way to compare equipment stats and weird translation made me think "I should have played this one on release. Today some pratical aspects feels really outdated" (and I usually don't have trouble with old games)

Baldur's Gate : played it 2/3 years ago and loved it. Then I though "if I had this game in 1998, I would have become a complete fanatic of cRPG. " I honestly think I would have become a very different person if I had played this game on release. Like I would have engage into all cRPG then tabletop RPG leading to meeting different people, building my personality differently which would have probably resulted into quite different life than I have now.
Can't say that I "wish" I played this game on release but I am curious to see what would have happen if I did.

To some extent : Demon's Souls. I played it after Dark Souls and it felt like a beta version of the latter to me.

Last edited:
Probably a good example because I remember playing it on release and man those controls were like smooth like butter back then.

Mhmmm 2077

Gothic, because the controls are awful these days. Also Warcraft 3, because maybe if I played it when it released, I would develop some RTS skills, as I am really fucking clueless about the whole genre, I would like to enjoy some of these games, but I simply can't play them. The other thing is when these games released I was ~10 years old, so I'm not sure if I would play them "correctly" anyway. Oh, also the first Deus Ex.

Ryūtō

Currently going through the PS+ classics catalog and that'd definitely be Wild Arms Franchise and Legend of Dragoon for me.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
The only one I can really think of is Final Fantasy VII. I wish I had played that when it came out but it wasn't on my radar back when I had a PS1. Took me well over 20 years to play it but I really wish I had experienced it the "proper" way and by that I mean playing it on a PS1 with a CRT TV and having to change discs and not rely on the internet to figure things out. I did think about buying the PS1 version to play on my PS2 but it was too much trouble to get it working on my huge flatscreen OLED tv.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Back when Final Fantasy XIII came out I got caught up in the hate train without thinking for myself. Played the whole trilogy to completion 5 years ago. What a fool back then I was. Now I wish it was on PS5 and Switch.
I can't speak to the whole trilogy but yea, FF13-1 is great and has one of the best OSTs of all time. Love that game.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Can't think of anything specific but I wish I understood how games like Civ, Baldur's Gate, Planescape, etc are played. I had a weak PC as a kid and I legit have no clue how those games work. I've tried various ones via gog with modern patches installed but yea, just so confusing to me.

Last edited:
Super Metroid.

I just played it for the first-time last year, and it absolutely lived up to its legacy. If I had played it back in the 90s it would've blown my mind.

Top Bottom