• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED enthusiasts : Why choose an LG C2 48" over a 55" CS6 ?

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Ok guys and gals, long story short :
i'm in the market for an LG OLED but, here's the thing, i'm gonna be using it on a 70cm (depth) desk, so, either the 42" or the 48" ones would make more sense since i don't know how much usable a 55" would be sitting at such a close distance (i.e : when it comes to eye strain/nausea/headaches etc).

Here's the thing though , the 42" and 48" LG C2's, are not the same as the 55" (and above) C2's when it comes to screen performance (they don't get as bright), here's a couple of videos to show what i'm talking about : 1 (time-stamped), 2 and 3.
Apparently, the smaller C2 sizes are C1 levels of screen performance (brightness) but with the added benefit of having the a9 gen 5 processor.

Enter the LG OLED CS6 : This TV is pretty much a C1 (panel-wise) featuring- you guessed it - the a9 gen 5 processor.
Same OS version, same chip as the C2, unfortunately, it only comes in 55" and 65".

Now, the CS6 55" costs the same as the 48" C2 - and while the 48" C2 would be a better fit for my desk...from what i gather, there's no difference panel/performance-wise over the cheaper CS6 since the 42"+48" C2's are gimped compared to their bigger size versions.

IF the 48" C2 wasn't "lesser" than its bigger siblings i'd get that in a heartbeat, thing is, there's just no way for me to shell that kind of money from the moment that both this and the bigger and cheaper CS6 are pretty much the same thing...

I could always sit at the max distance of 1.5m (small room you see) but i'm afraid that the 55" would still be overkill in this case - has anyone had any experience with this kind of setup ?

Also : Should i wait for 2023 models ?

Thanks in advance people, cheers ;)

TLDNR : smaller C2 is pretty much the same hardware and performance wise with the bigger (and cheaper) CS6, CS6 only comes in 55" though and i'm afraid that i won't be a good experience for sitting close to it.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Ok guys and gals, long story short :
i'm in the market for an LG OLED but, here's the thing, i'm gonna be using it on a 70cm (depth) desk, so, either the 42" or the 48" ones would make more sense since i don't know how much usable a 55" would be sitting at such a close distance (i.e : when it comes to eye strain/nausea/headaches etc).

Here's the thing though , the 42" and 48" LG C2's, are not the same as the 55" (and above) C2's when it comes to screen performance (they don't get as bright), here's a couple of videos to show what i'm talking about : 1 (time-stamped), 2 and 3.
Apparently, the smaller C2 sizes are C1 levels of screen performance (brightness) but with the added benefit of having the a9 gen 5 processor.

Enter the LG OLED CS6 : This TV is pretty much a C1 (panel-wise) featuring- you guessed it - the a9 gen 5 processor.
Same OS version, same chip as the C2, unfortunately, it only comes in 55" and 65".

Now, the CS6 55" costs the same as the 48" C2 - and while the 48" C2 would be a better fit for my desk...from what i gather, there's no difference panel/performance-wise over the cheaper CS6 since the 42"+48" C2's are gimped compared to their bigger size versions.

IF the 48" C2 wasn't "lesser" than its bigger siblings i'd get that in a heartbeat, thing is, there's just no way for me to shell that kind of money from the moment that both this and the bigger and cheaper CS6 are pretty much the same thing...

I could always sit at the max distance of 1.5m (small room you see) but i'm afraid that the 55" would still be overkill in this case - has anyone had any experience with this kind of setup ?

Also : Should i wait for 2023 models ?

Thanks in advance people, cheers ;)

TLDNR : smaller C2 is pretty much the same hardware and performance wise with the bigger (and cheaper) CS6, CS6 only comes in 55" though and i'm afraid that i won't be a good experience for sitting close to it.

Don't think like the bolded, buy what you need not what you perceive is a better value for money because its a bigger screen. In this case the TV will be more immersive in 55", but at the distance you sit you will have to turn your head often a lot to see the corners of the screen. My flatmate sits 1m from a 55" and its fucking stupid, he literally just doesn't look at things in the corner anymore to avoid moving his head in many games so he misses messages, can't glance at the minimap, etc so he has an objectively worse time than if he was further back, had a smaller screen.

I would still just get the 48" C2, you'll regret it if its too big for the desk and even though its got lower brightness than a 55C2 due to panel size it still matches the 55CS brightness and has the other general year or year improvements that LGD make with their OLED panels.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I think oled CS is essentially lg C1 repackaged.
So maybe it still has full BFI functionality which was reduced in c2.

But c2 got Evo pnel - brighter and newer tech.
Depends how close you sit to it, I would get c2
Rof, the CS6 is indeed a C1 repackaged but with all the goodies from the C2 (OS version, a9 gen5 processor).
Like i said, the bigger C2's are indeed brighter than the C1's but...not the 42, nor the 48", that's the thing man, it's the same with a CS6 since peak brightness is apparently the same and they both feature the same new processor.
If i get the 55", for my console gaming i could sit further away at 1.5/1.6 meters but i don't think that it's gonna be usable as a PC "monitor", i can almost see myself barfing from the nausea :D

I would still just get the 48" C2, you'll regret it if its too big for the desk and even though its got lower brightness than a 55C2 due to panel size it still matches the 55CS brightness and has the other general year or year improvements that LGD make with their OLED panels.

Thanks man, that's what i'm mostly afraid of, it's a reverse FOMO basically where maybe i wished to go smaller (instead of the usual "bigger") if i go for the 55"

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Rof, the CS6 is indeed a C1 repackaged but with all the goodies from the C2 (a9 gen5 processor).
Like i said, the bigger C2's are indeed brighter than the C1's but...not the 42, not the 48", that's the thing man, it's the same with a CS6 since peak brightness are apparently the same and they both feature the same new processor.
If i get the 55", for my console gaming i could sit further away at 1.5/1.6 meters but i don't think that it's gonna be usable as a PC "monitor", i can almost see myself barfing from the nausea :D

Thanks man, that's what i'm mostly afraid of, it's a reverse FOMO basically where maybe i wished to go smaller (instead of the usual "bigger") if i go for the 55"
I see.
48 is usable as a pc monitor. You can get used to it. 55 is for sure stretching it.

Kuranghi

I talk to 10+ people every day trying to buy a TV too big for their space and I sell them a higher model thats the next size down but the same price. I know you don't get something that much better with 48C2 vs 55CS, but the C2 is a little bit better nonetheless.

On the extreme end they get either a midrange LCD in 75" or a freaking OLED in 65", ie Samsung 75Q80B vs. LG 65G2/Most OLEDs. Right now in the UK the 75Q80B is £1999 and the LG 65G2 is £1999 with promo codes (£2199 - £200).

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I talk to 10+ people every day trying to buy a TV too big for their space and I sell them a higher model thats the next size down but the same price. I know you don't get something that much better with 48C2 vs 55CS, but the C2 is a little bit better nonetheless.

On the extreme end they get either a midrange LCD in 75" or a freaking OLED in 65", ie Samsung 75Q80B vs. LG 65G2/Most OLEDs. Right now in the UK the 75Q80B is £1999 and the LG 65G2 is £1999 with promo codes (£2199 - £200).

What's better on the 48" C2 compared to the CS6 in your opinion ?
Thanks for the input mate, 'ppreciate it ;)

zcaa0g

Banned
I use a 55" for PC gaming just a few feet away, but when I do productivity work, CTRL-ALT-Z with 3rd party software and my windows go to a 32" display size, so no having to look to the far left or right. The start menu is in the middle and I use WinStep to have the systray icons pop up at the top middle. Works great.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

What's better on the 48" C2 compared to the CS6 in your opinion ?
Thanks for the input mate, 'ppreciate it ;)

The general panel improvements they make in near black handling, low stimulus greyscale accuracy, panel uniformity, off-axis tinting and gradient handling (maybe that last one is 100% software but also maybe thats LCD panels and HW improvements do affect it with LG OLED panels), but also just how the C2 is quite a bit brighter in SDR than the C1/CS.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I use a 55" for PC gaming just a few feet away, but when I do productivity work, CTRL-ALT-Z with 3rd party software and my windows go to a 32" display size, so no having to look to the far left or right. The start menu is in the middle and I use WinStep to have the systray icons pop up at the top middle. Works great.

Hey Zcaa, care to help a brother out ? How can i do the 32" inch display thing on a 55" TV ?
My laptop has a AMD ryzen CPU and and Nvidia GPU (RTX 3050 Ti), i can only set the resolution via the Adrenaline software (res scale) and then select it via display options on Win11, thing is, that's regarding the resolution, how do I actually change display size though ?
LG C2 also features a 21:9 aspect ratio btw...

I'm a complete "noob" when it comes to these things.

Cheers

GHG

Gold Member
A lot of the late manufactered C1 panels are actually evo panels and perform slightly better than the early review samples did in terms of brightness.

The difference won't be big enough, get the extra size if you can accommodate it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
With a 42 inch c2 what would it be in terms of ultra wide size on that display. I purchased a 42 inch as a secondary gaming monitor for my pc for more single player games but its still in the box lol

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
A lot of the late manufactered C1 panels are actually evo panels and perform slightly better than the early review samples did in terms of brightness.

The difference won't be big enough, get the extra size if you can accommodate it.

Hey GH, already did man (C2 55"), that's why I'm asking.

Kuranghi did his best by posting his professional opinion (he is right after all) and I thank him for that, it's just that the price difference was so minimal (48" Vs 55") that I just couldn't justify getting the smaller sized one...
55" is A-OK from the 1.8m that I'm sitting for movies and console gaming but, obviously, it's a huge no-go for PC usage/productivity since the TV is sitting on a 70cm depth desk - obviously, i don't want to get blind just yet 😁
That's why I asked zcaa how is he able to display his PC at a 32" size screen /window on his 55" TV, I'm curious to see how it'll work.

Also : thanks GH for posting the pixel refresh method for the out-of-box vertical banding these TVs have in another thread, you saved me from having a panic attack (and maybe returning the TV 😁), cheers brother!

Last edited:
  • Strength
Reactions: GHG

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I have the 55" cs oled, I've had it for about 3 weeks now. got it for £800.
It's a cracking TV for the price .

Congrats man, I'm still thinking whether I should have just gone for the CS and not the C2 as it would have saved me about 250 eurotrons g'dammit...

My thinking was that since the C2 is a more expensive model, it will be supported longer than the "cheaper" CS.

Oh well, I'll just try to enjoy it now !

GHG

Gold Member
Hey GH, already did man (C2 55"), that's why I'm asking 😁

Kuranghi did his best by posting his professional opinion (he is right after all) and I thank him for that, it's just that the price difference was so minimal (48" Vs 55") that I just couldn't justify getting the smaller sized one...
55" is A-OK from the 1.8m that I'm sitting for movies and console gaming but, obviously, it's a huge no-go for PC usage/productivity since the TV is sitting on a 70cm depth desk - obviously, i don't want to get blind just yet 😁
That's why I asked zcaa how is he able to display his PC at a 32" size screen /window on his 55" TV, I'm curious to see how it'll work.

Also : thanks GH for posting the pixel refresh method for the out-of-box vertical banding these TVs have in another thread, you saved me from having a panic attack (and maybe returning the TV 😁), cheers brother!

I have a 55" cx for PC use and you have a number of options. If you can't get a deeper desk then look into getting a chair that has the ability to recline slightly, that way if you can't move the screen further away you can instead move yourself a bit further back comfortably.

You can use tools Microsoft powertoys to set up zones on your screen that you can easily snap applications into (the section called fancyzones is what you want). That way you can place things than you're using right in your eyeliner.

Another alternative is to get a cheap small secondary monitor that can rest directly on the desk for tasks that will involve lots of static elements. I have one of these which sits in front of my CX and I use it for most of my day to day coding:

Added bonus is that it's also touch screen, auto rotates if placed vertically and it can fold down completely flat when it's not in use.

But congrats on the purchase and enjoy it.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I have a 55" cx for PC use and you have a number of options. If you can't get a deeper desk then look into getting a chair that has the ability to recline slightly, that way if you can't move the screen further away you can instead move yourself a bit further back comfortably.

You can use tools Microsoft powertoys to set up zones on your screen that you can easily snap applications into (the section called fancyzones is what you want). That way you can place things than you're using right in your eyeliner.

Another alternative is to get a cheap small secondary monitor that can rest directly on the desk for tasks that will involve lots of static elements. I have one of these which sits in front of my CX and I use it for most of my day to day coding:

Added bonus is that it's also touch screen, auto rotates if placed vertically and it can fold down completely flat when it's not in use.

But congrats on the purchase and enjoy it.

Thanks friend !

A couple of things :

- i have a laptop so i don't need a (extra) monitor.
- regarding powertoys, that's for placing apps/windows on various zones of the TV, correct ? What i'm interested in, is actually displaying my whole desktop in a 32" window (i.e : basically, displaying a "box"/"window" of what the PC displays at a 32" size window on the 55" TV - like a rectangle (PC screen) inside a rectangle (55" TV display) - unless i'm missing something and what both you and zcaa are suggesting is the same thing.

Sorry if i'm not making myself clear, it's just that i'm completely new to all this...

Thanks for the help !

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Thanks friend !

A couple of things :

- i have a laptop so i don't need a (extra) monitor.
- regarding powertoys, that's for placing apps/windows on various zones of the TV, correct ? What i'm interested in, is actually displaying my whole desktop in a 32" window (i.e : basically, displaying a "box"/"window" of what the PC displays at a 32" size window on the 55" TV - like a rectangle (PC screen) inside a rectangle (55" TV display) - unless i'm missing something and what both you and zcaa are suggesting is the same thing.

Sorry if i'm not making myself clear, it's just that i'm completely new to all this...

Thanks for the help !

Yep you can use power toys to set up a single 32" zone and then use that.

For the background (the area of the screen you're not using) I'd suggest getting set up with wallpaper engine and then creating a playlist of about 50+ or so wallpapers with it set to automatically change every 1 minute. That way it will significantly reduce any burn-in risk on the panel.

kiphalfton

I've literally never heard of that TV until today. Is the CS something that's only available outside the US? Because I still can't really find shit about it online.

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
Hey Zcaa, care to help a brother out ? How can i do the 32" inch display thing on a 55" TV ?
My laptop has a AMD ryzen CPU and and Nvidia GPU (RTX 3050 Ti), i can only set the resolution via the Adrenaline software (res scale) and then select it via display options on Win11, thing is, that's regarding the resolution, how do I actually change display size though ?

Cheers

Here ya go. I've been using it for a long time with no issues:

Rickyiez

I have a C1 and don't get how bright you guys wanted lol. HDR purist I guess.

I'm on 30% brightness most of the time, and only cranking it to max for movies which is adequate enough

Reactions: GHG

nikos

Cheers

If you want OLED, 21:9 and ~32" why not get an AW3423DW?

EDIT: I believe the Gigabyte AORUS FO48U uses the same panel as LG. There are other OLED monitors available as well.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

If you want OLED, 21:9 and ~32" why not get an AW3423DW?

EDIT: I believe the Gigabyte AORUS FO48U uses the same panel as LG. There are other OLED monitors available as well.
I have the AORUS and it's great, picked it over the C1 back then because I can use displayport that way.

Top Bottom