• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OLED Switch: I found a unicorn, and bought it

ManaByte

So I went into my local Walmart today, and saw this:
jLi99OS.jpg

There were two real Switch OLEDs on the shelf. TWO!

I didn't REALLY need it. I play mostly docked. But I do have a launch Switch and ALMOST found an excuse to buy the revision with the better battery. So this has that better battery, and Metroid Dread looks AMAZING on the OLED...so I walked out with one.

I can also be happy that I deprived one scalper of their prize.

Data transfer wasn't bad. I'm keeping my launch Switch so I copied over my important saves, and just moved the microSD into the OLED and redownloaded the few games I had installed.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Scalping hasn't really been much of an issue with OLED switch. I'm loving mine, it's more of an upgrade than expected.
Makes you happy that it happened but at the same time sad they didn't upgrade GPU/CPU at the same time.

nordique

I was shocked to find out you can just walk into any store in my area and just pick one of several off the shelf. I've still yet to see a PS5 or Series X in a store.

The Switch OLED is definitely not the unicorn.

depends where you live maybe?

it’s sold out where I am

Chiggs

Enjoy the world’s worst Wi-Fi chip. Joking, but not really. Okay, sorta.

Last edited:
Share with everybody how fucking amazing the screen is!!
You're still at it? Lol.

I got one day one. It's a slightly bigger and slightly brighter screen. It's nothing like you keep making it out to be with your "OLED's gonna OLED" comments.

What would be "fucking amazing" is if Nintendo would give us a proper Switch Pro. I love Switch too, but I can't be blown away as you claim to be by a 720p 7" screen in 2021

Last edited:

tommib

nice one. I’m tempted every time I see a picture of the damn thing but I can’t justify it 🙈
I regret trading my lite for the OLED. I play mainly handheld and this is a chunky beast. Heavy, big and old games like the Castlevania Advance games look very poor due to the larger screen. I would say everything looks more pixelated compared to the small lite screen.

I don’t really get OLED screen tech. Yes, the blacks are blacks. So what. To be honest, I find the effect jarring in games sometimes. Maybe if the screen was higher resolution. This is a weird scenario. Compared to my iPhone 11 Pro Max that screen is certainly a step back. Hoping to get used to it.

Maybe I’ll play dock more now. Skyward Sword HD looks actually great on my 4K TV. But that’s a native 1080p docked game and as far as I know there aren’t many. No More Heroes 3 on dock looks like it’s running at 640x480. :/

Also, D pad sucks and all the buttons for volume and on/off are barely there and you need to really press them. Same with the cartridge slot that is now a pain to open.

No honeymoon period here that’s for sure but it can only go up from here.

MrA

Banned
I was shocked to find out you can just walk into any store in my area and just pick one of several off the shelf. I've still yet to see a PS5 or Series X in a store.

you are so full of crap, every store within 100 miles of me and within 100 miles of my brother is sold out completely, please share these google results you have that show the switch oled is readily in stock as I can't find any evidence it is in stock in stores anywhere. And maybe the xsx and ps5 would be on store shelves, if you know sony and ms actually had retailers send them to stores instead of holding inventory online only.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Share with everybody how fucking amazing the screen is!!
Only used it for a few mins so far but it’s instantly way better. Played the old switch mostly in hand held so the new screen is way better. That said still downloading games hours later so prob won’t be playing anything tonight.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So I went into my local Walmart today, and saw this:
jLi99OS.jpg

I can also be happy that I deprived one scalper of their prize.
You bought something you won't use because you think more scalpers are buying and reselling things than actual gamers. So you think ebay sold what 5 million PS5s?

Its a minor upgrade to a 4.5 year old system and you showed that in some places you can walk into a store and buy it 11 days after launch. But yeah, scalpers.

Robb

Gold Member
Glad to hear it’s a decent upgrade. I just can’t justify it personally. It really sucks that they didn’t upgrade the internals because I love the design of the white one, looks really nice.

Would have bought it day one if the upgrade was more substantial.

cireza

Banned
I kept my Lite. So I have both OLED and Lite. I can't tell yet whether I am going to keep the Lite or the OLED in the long run.

Last edited:

Marty-McFly

Banned

It's a revision of a 5 year old console not a new console. :messenger_neutral:

It's going to sell banana's regardless.

Last edited:
I honestly don't understand the general excitement around a four year old console with the only difference being that it has an OLED screen.
I have the first Switch and if I have all this hunger for OLED I connect it to the TV.
It will be interesting when a new version of the entire console comes out.

gundalf

I honestly don't understand the general excitement around a four year old console with the only difference being that it has an OLED screen.
I have the first Switch and if I have all this hunger for OLED I connect it to the TV.
It will be interesting when a new version of the entire console comes out.

I bought my SWOLED as an impulse buy since I saw at my local store on release day and I have to say the display upgrade is much more substantial then I expected, specially the bigger screen brings for me a huge QOL boost. It is of course pure luxury to upgrade but if someone has the money to spent, go for it!

I bought my SWOLED as an impulse buy since I saw at my local store on release day and I have to say the display upgrade is much more substantial then I expected, specially the bigger screen brings for me a huge QOL boost. It is of course pure luxury to upgrade but if someone has the money to spent, go for it!

It is not an economic problem, it's just a question of use, if 90% of the time it's in the dock station it makes no sense for me to buy it. IMHO.
It remains the same Switch from 2017, with a slightly larger OLED screen, there is no other improvement.
Obvious that everyone spends money as they see fit, I speak for myself.

BlackTron

Show me a Switch Lite with an OLED screen, and a TV out.

Then I will be happy to open my wallet. Till then, I await a brand new system.

Hell yeah ManaByte ManaByte Got mine yesterday and I have to say, I am digging the black/white colour scheme of the new Joy-Con.

What will you do with your OG Switch? I wish I hadn't have sold mine as it was capable of running cfw and would've been a perfect emulation machine.

The screen is amazing too. Though I am not sure I like the default "vibrant" colour profile, as much as it makes everything pop, I just don't think it looks natural.

Was surprised at the wide availability in the UK, though I do expect to see a surge of sales come Christmas.

gundalf

It is not an economic problem, it's just a question of use, if 90% of the time it's in the dock station it makes no sense for me to buy it. IMHO.
It remains the same Switch from 2017, with a slightly larger OLED screen, there is no other improvement.
Obvious that everyone spends money as they see fit, I speak for myself.

Its fair to criticize Nintendo for still not delivering new hardware but on the other hand Nintendo is pretty clear with the marketing, better screen and better QOL, that's it.

Although the situation on Sony side is not much better, there is only the PS5 which is still sold out constantly, need to give credit to MS handling the situation well with the Series S which you can actually buy.

Justin9mm

Just went back to my old Switch for an extended period and it's insane how much of a difference the OLED screen and size make.

People downplaying this are fucking nuts.
I think the OLED screen itself is an amazing upgrade to the old screen but can't justify the price increase for it and the fact that's all they have done after 4 years and that's all they have done for the price is BS. It's like $549 AUD for the OLED switch here in Aus.

ManaByte

I think the OLED screen itself is an amazing upgrade to the old screen but can't justify the price increase for it and the fact that's all they have done after 4 years and that's all they have done for the price is BS. It's like $549 AUD for the OLED switch here in Aus.

It also has the better battery than the launch model.

Lognor

Banned
I might have done the same if I were in your position, op. I almost bought one on launch day on Nintendo.com but because they were charging shipping it gave me a reason not to. If I had come across availability at a retail store I probably would have bought it. I have a launch switch too and don't need the oled

BlackTron

Y tho.

You know what they say... Bigger = better.

The regular Switch screen somehow looks so small now going back to it. The .8 inch goes a long way.

Bigger is indeed better, which is why when I want better I dock the thing on my 47". Whenever that isn't an option, it means the thing is being toted around, exactly when smaller is better. If bigger always = better, why doesn't everyone have a Galaxy Note instead of an iPhone?

I still think the system is awesome, and love mine, but it's more apparent how cumbersome it is when you still use older handhelds once in a while. I still like playing classics like Zelda, Mario Land 2 and Tetris on my SP so I'll NEVER get rid of it.

I find my eyes get tired a lot quicker playing on Switch vs. a GB and I think the big screen real estate is partly to do with it. Holding a screen in your hands, your eyes need to dart around much more to track everything as the screen gets larger. Sure it's prettier, but I don't want shock effect, I want the workhorse to put away hundreds of hours of gaming. Holding it by the joycon is not very ergonomic either, it passes but that's the best I can say. The idea of hundreds of hours of Pokemon on Switch scares me. Was no big deal back on my old Game Boy Color.

For me, the screen size isn't worth the lesser portability. I would get a Lite if I didn't have to somehow compromise the instant, well, switchabilty of the Switch. If you want to keep playing the same game, you'd have to worry about syncing your save. If saves were still on the cart like the old days, I would rush out to buy a Lite. For example I can use the original Aria of Sorrow cart to switch between a GBA and GB Player on TV and that's actually a decently viable alternative to the Switch!

But if I buy a Lite for portability and feel in the hand, I'd have to worry about all my saves matching up and shit...no thanks. So if I could just get a TV out on the Lite, that'd solve it nicely. As it is now, if you want TV play, you need to accept their largest handheld ever. Not everyone wants that, it's funny how portables getting smaller used to be a selling point and smaller = more expensive...

Ryu Kaiba

The Steam Deck satiated my hunger for a Switch Pro and the OLED became much more desirable.

The only thing I would want out of a Switch Pro, outside of a better chip, is the rumored magnesium build.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You're still at it? Lol.

I got one day one. It's a slightly bigger and slightly brighter screen. It's nothing like you keep making it out to be with your "OLED's gonna OLED" comments.

What would be "fucking amazing" is if Nintendo would give us a proper Switch Pro. I love Switch too, but I can't be blown away as you claim to be by a 720p 7" screen in 2021

I both agree with and disagree, lol. Yes Nintendo should give us a proper upgrade, they suck for not doing so. And they can take thier $30 online upcharge for n64 and stick it. But the more I play the oled the more I appreciate the screen size and quality. And it's just not that it's slightly brighter, the color quality and contrast are a very decent jump up from the lcd in the regular Switch.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
But the more I play the oled the more I appreciate the screen size and quality. And it's just not that it's slightly brighter, the color quality and contrast are a very decent jump up from the lcd in the regular Switch.

This. Though I'd say it's more than a decent jump. It's dramatic. Just looking at the home screens you can see immediately how everything pops.

Play this shit in the dark and look at any loading screen for any game. You'll see nothing but floating loading icons in the dark, it's crazy.

This rivals big screen OLED TVs. I'd say it ends up looking better sometimes due to the improved PPI. There is no way the original screen was even close to the new one. It's a night and day difference. I've never seen some of these games look better. 2D games fucking pop on the screen. And I see the LG CX all the time. If I had never seen an OLED I'd be even more impressed.

Going back to the original Switch is difficult after getting used to the OLED.

I will say the build quality of it feels a lot better too. It just feels a lot sturdier now.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Switch OLED durability test rates its screen 2/10 for scratch protection | VGC (videogameschronicle.com)

Switch OLED durability test rates its screen 2/10 for scratch protection​

switch-screen-1440x884.jpg

A durability test of the Nintendo Switch OLED’s new display has suggested that it has little protection out of the box to scratches and damage.

YouTube channel JerryRigEverything sacrificed an OLED model Switch to find out exactly how durable its new display is and found that, despite Nintendo claiming the screen is made from glass, it appears to be as vulnerable as plastic.

In its scratch test, the channel found that Switch OLED only has screen protection of 2/10 and encouraged users to purchase a screen protector for their hardware.

“Unfortunately, what we’re seeing here are scratches at level three and deeper grooves at level four, which means this new OLED screen has a surface layer of plastic,” it said.

“It’s good to know that the OLED screen is soft so that we can avoid putting it in situations where it can be damaged by coins, keys or other metal objects.”

Nintendo has said that the OLED screen is made from glass and that a plastic film included on top of the display is intended to stop glass from scattering should it shatter.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well i buckled and bought one today too! its glorious, but I bought a glass screen protector straight away.

I love nintendo, but my god transffering accounts and save data is rank!

Top Bottom