• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game launches June 22 in the west for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, and Stadia

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC via Steam, and Stadia on June 22 in the west for $39.99, Sega announced.

“The Olympic Games are a unifying symbol of sportsmanship and competition for athletes and fans throughout the world,” said Sega of America president and COO Ian Curran in a press release. “Tokyo 2020 channels that positive spirit into a fun, arcade-style experience for friends and family to play together as we all look forward to the start of the Olympic Games this summer.”

Here is an overview of the game, via Sega:

Featuring 18 fun-fueled Olympic events, a robust Avatar Creator, and local and online play for up to 8 players, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 offers aspiring Olympians of all ages a chance to pursue their own Olympic dreams at-home or online.
Go faster, higher, stronger in 18 different solo or multiplayer Olympic events:
  • 100m
  • 4x100m Relay
  • 110m Hurdles
  • Hammer Throw
  • Long Jump
  • Baseball
  • Basketball
  • Beach Volleyball
  • BMX (Cycling)
  • Boxing
  • Judo
  • Rugby Sevens
  • Football (Soccer)
  • 100m Freestyle (Swimming)
  • 200m Individual Medley (Swimming)
  • Sport Climbing
  • Table Tennis
  • Tennis
Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 also features a comprehensive Avatar Creator for gamers to create the Olympic athlete of their dreams! More than 50 different colorful wardrobe options are available to choose from, from traditional country kits to more imaginative outfits like pirate and astronaut costumes. Eight-player multiplayer, Ranked Games, and global leaderboards offer plenty of options for aspiring Olympians to compete online together in their quest for gold.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

These people look like they're made of Easter Egg chocolate, delicious! I want to eat them all *nom nom nom*

Doesn't look as bad as I thought it would tbh, would play with my game-spaz family.

"...imaginative outfits like pirate and astronaut", I know they mean for the context but its funny if you are into games and fantasy in general:

Dev 1 - "Whats the craziest, most imaginative outfit thing you can think of?!"
Dev 2 - "A PIRATE!!!"

I wish there was a Joe Biden skin, we were bombarded with Trump skins for 4 years where are the Joe "Joey, bay-be!" Biden skins?

ranmafan

I still am amazed this game is coming out just now in the west when it’s been available in the Japan with full English option for almost two years now. Obviously they delayed it thanks to corona but still I find it interesting.

nice game btw. Nice variety of events to play. Although still doesn’t beat the greatest olympic game of all time, summer games 1 and 2 for c64. I really hope one day an Olympic game comes close to those classics.

I still am amazed this game is coming out just now in the west when it’s been available in the Japan with full English option for almost two years now. Obviously they delayed it thanks to corona but still I find it interesting.

nice game btw. Nice variety of events to play. Although still doesn’t beat the greatest olympic game of all time, summer games 1 and 2 for c64. I really hope one day an Olympic game comes close to those classics.
Not sure why you would play Summer games on a C64 but yeah those are good.

ranmafan

Not sure why you would play Summer games on a C64 but yeah those are good.

Those games were my most played games when I was a kid back when they came out. And they captured the Olympic feel in ways no game has come close to since. They still are in my top ten favorite games of all time. I still recommend them.

as for the current one it’s a fun game. Just missing some of the touches that those old games had that would make it perfect

I wonder if these official Olympic titles make a ton of money or sales numbers? Guess they must since there is always one available near Olympics times.

Thinking of finding some older ones from the bargain bin and see how fun they can be.

Buki1

Although still doesn’t beat the greatest olympic game of all time, summer games 1 and 2 for c64. I really hope one day an Olympic game comes close to those classics.

Loved that one, but my favourite was the olympic games on Amiga. So many joysticks were destroyed because of those games, when you had to f.e. swing the stick left and right to run faster or do the 360s fast for hammer throw. I dont know if there was more controller breaking game genre than old school sports games.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Olympic Games Tokyo 2020: The Official Video Game will launch for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch, PC via Steam, and Stadia on June 22 in the west for $39.99, Sega announced.

“The Olympic Games are a unifying symbol of sportsmanship and competition for athletes and fans throughout the world,” said Sega of America president and COO Ian Curran in a press release. “Tokyo 2020 channels that positive spirit into a fun, arcade-style experience for friends and family to play together as we all look forward to the start of the Olympic Games this summer.”

Here is an overview of the game, via Sega:

It was a paradox of time, due to Covid 19

SJRB

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, I watched Lirik play this last week and blew my mind how solid it looked. All the games looked great with simple but fun mechanics. Seems like a great party game.

It's too bad this might get shunned by many because of how poor these games often seem to be.

40 bucks doesn't help either..

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Celebrate the start of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games and join in the fun in the officially licensed videogame! Create your own Olympic athlete and compete across 18 Olympic events in your quest for eternal glory!

Top Bottom