• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omdia: PSVR2 to sell 3.6M in two years, 7% attach-rate of PS5. Quest headsets to hit 20M in 2022, controls 76% of VR sales. 90% of VR revenue is games

If you think I'm ignoring negative cases, maybe it's because I'm not going along with your reliably worst-case assumptions on... everything.

All it shows is you never actually read any posts. Saying that "everything is negative" is a poor excuse, as all I'm doing is pointing out the same things over and over again that you (and him) are ignoring. it only seems the way you say because you keep trying to pretend it's not there and I keep bringing it up.

Nothing I said is even worse-case, that scenario is other guy saying Sony only wants to target hardcore enthusiasts because he doesn't get the market and doesn't realize these thinks can't sell high numbers, just like consoles, without the casual consumers, and the Fortnite players. You can deny this with nothing valid if you want but that's the truth, and they will need that audience to sell. That's not a 'worse case-scenario" at all. it doesn't even make sense to call it that, do you even know what that means?

The stuff I listed earlier need to be taken WITH the positives. There have been this and other threads already, and even gaming outlets speaking from the outside view, of what Sony needs to address. All I'm saying is just an improvement of specs means nothing if they don't do what's needed to get the general audience interested. That's how most gaming products sell, VR is no different.

If you can't even get some of the Minecraft and Beat Saber crowd over and just rely on specs than even that 3.6 is in question.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sweet. Now do PCVR with the same tech "just for one game."
It's like 400USD + PC, so yeah.

But just the peripherals and game it costs more.

However this for the casual market seems to be quite steep

And I would LOVE for VR to become mainstream.

I never said 10M by targeting hardcore VR enthusiasts.

the first few million (even up to 10M) will be from a more enthusiast consumer.

?

The next wave of upgrades are going to see diminishing returns compared to PSVR1 to PSVR2.

The PSVR2 is not even far enough from the Quest 2 to start talking about diminishing returns. The tech is only just starting to get somewhere.

There's not going to be ANY competition for PSVR2 in the AAA space for a very long time.

There will be multiple at launch or within a few months after. Greatly overestimating PSVR2's power.

But frankly - userbase numbers aren't the most important metric. There's a lot of Quest 2's gathering dust right now. Quest 2 basically turned VR into standalone low-rent quality ghetto gaming. People buy it for the novelty then forget about it before the experience is poor. I'd rather have a smaller PSVR2 audience that is active and buying compelling content.

There are PSVR1's collecting dust too. This brings up another point you avoided, VR is it's own industry and it's going with a slower version of how phones are released, the PSVR2 isn't going to be able to sit and sell for 7 years as new headsets will come and chip away or take the thunder from it entirely if no improvements or upgrades are released.

You are also trying to project your personal feeling onto all Quest 2 users which doesn't make much sense given that it's the most actively used headset at the moment. This graveyard of Quest 2's after a short session doesn't exist. At least not yet, but then the Quest 3 will be out by that time so...

As much as the Quest 2 is a cheap entry, one of the reasons why it sold as much as it did is because people are actually using it and getting others to buy it.

Which seems laughable on the face of an expanding audience for VR and gaming and the improvements listed.

VR hasn't expanded in years. Just concentrated to the Quest 2, some have taken liberties removing mobileVR and only comparing the others to pretend there's growth, but imo that does nothing more but show the VR industry is in worse shape than originally thought with slow growth.

This is also shown in the analysis in the OP. This is why getting the general audience is important as VR in general is doing a bad job with it overall.

The PSVR2 is not even far enough from the Quest 2 to start talking about diminishing returns. The tech is only just starting to get somewhere.

Sure it is. Quest 2 development is mostly local, so the visuals are like multiple generations behind

Learn to read. PS Enthusiast is not equal to VR enthusiast

There will be multiple at launch or within a few months after. Greatly overestimating PSVR2's power.

Link?

You are also trying to project your personal feeling onto all Quest 2 users which doesn't make much sense given that it's the most actively used headset at the moment. This graveyard of Quest 2's after a short session doesn't exist. At least not yet, but then the Quest 3 will be out by that time so...

As much as the Quest 2 is a cheap entry, one of the reasons why it sold as much as it did is because people are actually using it and getting others to buy it.

I don't care about Quest 2 because I'm not a casual gamer who likes casual low grade content. There are those that do. They tend to be the Wii type crowd. Fickle and move onto the next gimmick. I want genuine next gen VR staying power with real games.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's like 400USD + PC, so yeah.

But just the peripherals and game it costs more.

However this for the casual market seems to be quite steep

And I would LOVE for VR to become mainstream.
There is no $400 VR headset with the same tech on the PC.

M1chl

There is no $400 VR headset with the same tech on the PC.
True, but you have price range options, for people who use it lightly and so on. I am not saying that VR on console is bad, however the framing from IGN certainly does not help and it does not really seems fair to do such a thing.

I didn't meant that it will get onto PC sadly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
True, but you have price range options, for people who use it lightly and so on. I am not saying that VR on console is bad, however the framing from IGN certainly does not help and it does not really seems fair to do such a thing.

I didn't meant that it will get onto PC sadly.
I asked in contention of that article. You also get what you pay for when it comes to electronics tech. Not all experiences are equal.

PCMRs shouting their double standards when it comes to Sony/consoles should know this.

(Not calling you a PCMR, just noticed that lately when it comes to PSVR2 with a lot of them all of a sudden.)

M1chl

I asked in contention of that article. You also get what you pay for when it comes to electronics tech. Not all experiences are equal.

PCMRs shouting their double standards when it comes to Sony/consoles should know this.

(Not calling you a PCMR, just noticed that lately when it comes to PSVR2 with a lot of them all of a sudden.)
I just like VR, that's probably all while yeah I am fanboy of nvidia, because knowledge of CUDA and other parts of their ecosystem brought me money. That's really it, I am mostly console player.

Anyway I was just reacting to that picture, with my thoughts not being fully align at my first post what I wanted to say really. I find that pretty dishonest framing and I haven't seen it in any other product, like, uploading your first picture to iCloud will set you back 2k USD, etc. It's weird and stupid.

VR needs adoption, like really, I want games and even as an experiences, non-game content, that shit is barren.

Sure it is. Quest 2 development is mostly local, so the visuals are like multiple generations behind

Not in specs.

Learn to read. PS Enthusiast is not equal to VR enthusiast

Never said it was. Again this is you

the first few million (even up to 10M) will be from a more enthusiast consumer.

Not how this industry has ever worked sorry.

Multiple threads posted on here already in the last weeks or two? Check the threads? I posted some of them even.

I don't care about Quest 2 because I'm not a casual gamer who likes casual low grade content.

But you should still hope Sony gets that audience to come to PSVR2 so there's more support and more reason to push out releases that YOU would enjoy, Otherwise Sony will treat it like the Vita.

I don't see VR2 selling less than 10M. With how easy is to set up & how great it looks, the only possible separating this from massive success is the price, that's for sure.

Expensive as FUCK.
10 million is a lot! The games are going to have to really kick butt and Sony's going to need to get a lot more consoles out in the wild in order to hit that number

Top Bottom