• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once cross gen ends, would you be happy with 1080p on 'next gen' games if it meant keeping 60fps?

Would you accept 1080p on next gen games if it means keeping 60fps for the rest of the gen?

• Total voters

Valt7786

No way to 1080p now. Obviously 4k/60 would be preferable, but if they could find a balance between 1440/60 that'd be good. More games defintiely need Ratchets 40fps quality mode though.

VinnyMac

Lol cross Gen is here to start buddy get used to it. It's ps4 and ps5 now then it'll be ps5 and ps6 if it hasn't stopped by now that's their new strategy.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
here's the difference: video games take way more power to render and are far more interactive than a fucking nature documentary. if i had the option of watching video in 4k.... i'd watch it in 4k because at the end of the day it's video. it doesnt require much processing power
now video GAMES are a different beast since 4k takes a shitton of time to render & sips your FPS like a fat kid given a bottle of coke. FPS in games are important because GAMES ARE INTERACTIVE. I know the last of us and uncharted have gaslit you to believe they're movies with extra steps, but they're video GAMES. you gotta play them. playing them feels like shit at 30fps cuz there's less time to react and the image looks choppier
Nonsense.

The best looking game of all time just came out last month. Horizon: Forbidden West.

It runs perfectly smooth at 4K30FPS and looks fucking mindblowing. Runs at a consistent 30fps. There are no issues. All industry professionals (including DF) recommended the 30fps mode over the ugly ass, blurry ass, PS4 looking bullshit 60fps mode. Because it looks vastly superior and there is NOTHING wrong with a steady 30fps.

You folks just need eye work. 30FPS is not a "slideshow". In order to see any REAL next gen visual leaps, you're going to have to stick with 30fps.

Again. 60FPS is not a next gen feature. You people would be happy with PS4 Pro games through 2028 as long as it ran at 60fps.

not me, hell no

Last edited:

PeteBull

Voted yes since i wanna graphics quality/fidelity like in matrix demo which can drop to 20fps, so to achieve 60fps u need much lower res, probably 1080p, on top by the time we see games looking like that ps5pro will be avaiable so whoever wants higher res will have option to buy stronger model

Last edited:

proandrad

DLSS proves that lower resolution games can still look great. Devs putting native 1080p 60fps mode without any sort of reconstruction is just low effort. If they are just going for native res then, 4K 30fps, 1440p 60fps, 1080p 120fps should be the goal.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Nonsense.

The best looking game of all time just came out last month. Horizon: Forbidden West.

It runs perfectly smooth at 4K30FPS and looks fucking mindblowing. Runs at a consistent 30fps. There are no issues. All industry professionals (including DF) recommended the 30fps mode over the ugly ass, blurry ass, PS4 looking bullshit 60fps mode. Because it looks vastly superior and there is NOTHING wrong with a steady 30fps.

You folks just need eye work. 30FPS is not a "slideshow". In order to see any REAL next gen visual leaps, you're going to have to stick with 30fps.

Again. 60FPS is not a next gen feature. You people would be happy with PS4 Pro games through 2028 as long as it ran at 60fps.

not me, hell no
first of all, i can think of many more visually striking games than fucking HFW
second of all, no it does not look or run perfectly smooth at 4k30fps. it looks like a mess. 30fps actually HINDERS the gameplay. the game would look and PLAY better at 60fps, and that's an unobjectionable FACT. literally proven by science. You may think it looks fine at 30, bunch of other people probably would still perfer 60 cuz the trade off makes more sense & other people have EYES.

scydrex

I voted yes but now changed my vote to no. Prefer 1440p 60fps. Also devs should offer a 40fps mode like Rachet for 120hz.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
first of all, i can think of many more visually striking games than fucking HFW
No you can't. There isn't any. Best looking game ever in Quality mode. Not close.
second of all, no it does not look or run perfectly smooth at 4k30fps.
Yes it does
it looks like a mess.
no it doesnt
30fps actually HINDERS the gameplay.
no it doesnt
the game would look and PLAY better at 60fps, and that's an unobjectionable FACT.
That is not a fact. Its actually a lie. Games FACTUALLY look worse at 60FPS. Sick of hearing this crap.
literally proven by science.
lmao
You may think it looks fine at 30,
I dont "think" this. It IS this. its the best looking game ever made while running at 30. At 60, its looks like a good PS4 Pro game. Is blurry as hell, shimmering everywhere, massive image quality drop, massive resolution drop. Less detail in every aspect. it factually looks worse in every visual department. thats why its able to run smoother. because theres less fidelity to push on screen. this is a FACT.
bunch of other people probably would still perfer 60 cuz the trade off makes more sense & other people have EYES.
eyes that need surgery.

lets end this argument. we will never agree. im just sick of the framerate nerds.

Last edited:

Danknugz

"what year is it" is an ironic take given that only in the past 3 or 4 years did the majority of gamers even value anything over 30 fps. (not coincidentally, when consoles started utilizing it more regularly)

literally hated 30 fps since like 2003. i think most pc gamers are similar.

ZoukGalaxy

Nope, 30fps 4k orr 30fps 1080p all day every day.
I don't give a shit about FPS and fps.
I want graphic fidelity and immersion.

BreakOut

I’d be happy at 1440p and 60fps
Honestly even then I wouldn’t be. I know that they are working on FSR and all this other stuff so I really hope to see improvements without too much of a frame rate cost. I still believe insomniac had it right with that 40 FPS thing, I’m really surprised at how well that went. I think if developers just optimize their games (some do a great job) we can see a lot better than that.

Top Bottom