• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once you go Oled you cant go back!

True. FOR OLED !!!!!!!!
zVilPiz.jpg
not sure that pic shows it in a good light TBH

nocsi

Sony got 42 incher too now ?!
NICE. I am starting to think about upgrade of my lg c1 48".... but is 42" really an upgrade... hmmm
Also, that tv seems a bit low but that stand looks nice.
Just came out this year. There's also the LG C2 42", which is a bit better setup for gaming with g-sync and 4 2.1 HDMI ports. I prefer Sony's algorithms however. And yea, I ended up lifting the TV by putting it on a 3" shelf.

rofif

Banned
Just came out this year. There's also the LG C2 42", which is a bit better setup for gaming with g-sync and 4 2.1 HDMI ports. I prefer Sony's algorithms however. And yea, I ended up lifting the TV by putting it on a 3" shelf.
share a pic of the shelf

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
OLED is amazing. I can't wait for a proper monitor to come out that is actually of proper size. 42 inch is just too damn big and the Alienware monitor has a weird pixel layout.
Maybe in 2-3 years we'll get close to perfection.

Grechy34

Man I just want to share my experience with my TVs and maybe help people save money.
I have a oled TV cx in my living room where I had my ps5 then when ps5 got the vrr update I thought getting another TV that supports vr for my gaming room i mean the difference couldn't be that big right? Wrong

So bought this monitor gigabyte aorus fv43u 43 inches which got loads of good reviews . Honestly it has everything a gaming TV/ monitor should have vrr, 4k 120hz all of that but boy the picture quality is rubbish. The cars in GT7 look like got a vaseline filter over it. Weirdly blurry. And I spend 800 quid on it. I'm not joking the difference between a VA panel and oled is miles noticeable. The games look generation apart. Honestly is damn crazy.

If you have money to buy a TV do not buy anything other than oled.

Anyway I just got a 42 inch c2 for my gaming room. I'll never touch anything else ever

They're awesome but do keep in mind they are still very expensive and my personal experience is the yellow on my OLED after 5 years has changed shade to a darker yellow and this was reported on various forums online, so I wasn't the only one. This was after 5 years though. LG were unwilling to fix it as it was well over the warranty period.

Last edited:
Bought my 77" CX one and a half years ago and I‘m still impressed with the picture. Also bought a 4k VA monitor just recently for my working space and I barely use it because I just hate the washed out blacks. I would‘ve been better off with a 43“ OLED I guess.

MistBreeze

I think OLED vs LCD from my experience , my observations:

HDR on OLED vs LCD:
For small highlights OLED is brighter cause LCD dims the zone trying only to light a small portions for it thus dims the highlights
Dark scenes like stars dims on LCD cause of zone dimming

For wide bright areas ( white areas ) LCD is brighter

In fact in QD OLED colored highlights are brighter than LCDs in hdr Reds , Yellows neon lights for example

SDR is far brighter on LCDs

I guess, I've been using these OLED projection AR glasses and now I don't even bother using my TV anymore.

Nreal Air.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Yeah it's lovely, LCD still has some advantages for both movies and gaming imo but were talking about a handful of models most of which are years old and cant be bought new + there are serious flaws with challenging dark scenes/content on even these best LCD I refer to.

Samsung could've finally matched the old best LCDs with Neo QLED but the miniLED backlight zone counts don't translate to the same performance when compared to the old backlight zone count, plus they absolutely fucked their game modes.

It's something to do with the matrix that controls them, it's slow to transition and relies too much on software that's disabled/lessened in Game mode making it useless for game mode. They chased design and thinness to the detriment of picture quality, hence why Sony LCDs are still so fat.

If (whatever variant of) OLED can get past ABL limitations, get 10% windows to 1500 nits and implement BFI that doesnt destroy the brightness output while reducing stutter to near LCD levels then I'll consider LCD basically dead. I have a good feeling by the time that happens consumer MicroLED will be on the scene though.

kevm3

The issue is that people are comparing a top of the line OLED to gaming monitors or some budget miniLed or some years old QLED. Gaming monitors aren't there for picture quality. They are there for response times and most of them have awful visual quality.

When you have both of the top models of the respective technologies side by side, there are differences between them, and depending on what your preferences are, you will lean towards one technology, but all of the major display technologies are so good, none of them 'blow away' the other.

Deanington

PRVwPgD.jpg

Just got my first OLED and pretty damn excited! I had a fuck it moment and ordered it last night. It’s going to replace a 48 inch Bravia 900E as a monitor. I’m about to deep dive YouTube and internet for settings and what not. Minesweeper is going to look so damn good.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

Look at here another beauty. Any oled elitist would tell that this looks over saturated….. well you know that’s how games supposed to look. But when you are used to oled dullness with all curtains closed what would you expect…

That is oversaturated and looks exactly like samsung tv set to native color space. At this dim sum restaurant I go to NFL Sundays look exactly like that and it looks horrid. I'm not sure why games are suppose to look like that, but I disagree.

Last edited:

anothertech

Been on my cx all year now, and my poor high end qleds never get touched any more. I have 3 Samsung qleds, a 2021 and two 2019 models. My LG CX OLED 70" is hogging my every free moment lol.

Differences from my anecdotal experience as well as personal friends and family hot takes:

Clarity - it's visually stunning in almost every setting. Movies, games, videos, hdr and non hdr. Noticably better picture in all comparisons.

Color - both normal and especially hdr color is far and away superior on the cx. Blacks are practically plasma level and I'm a bitch about proper blacks having come from a proper plasma screen prior. As for gaming, holy shit when dialed in correctly with a game that does proper hdr I lose my shit from time to time as does my brother and father lol

Movement and motion blur - being a self proclaimed cinephile, I am extremely picky about 24p, film grain, and all the different luts and blurs that go with my film watching. I know when it's faked, and when it stresses me out incredibly when poorly done. I'm happy to report when the settings are correct, it has the best proper motion blur of all my screens.

It's been a year of hard gaming from my self and kids as well as nightly movies and YouTube videos. 0 sign of burn in.

This is coming from a horrible experience with 3 previous LG b7s that had burn in in less than a year of use. I was super anti OLED 3 years ago. The CX has converted me 100%

kunonabi

I almost grabbed an oled for black Friday but all the talk of stutter on low frame rate content and auto-dimming you can only turn off from the service menu turned me off.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
My new AW3423DW is incredible it even surpassed my CX in color accuracy I’m in love with OLED again!

Freeman76

Recently bought a Samsung S95b, initally was floored by the punchy image and bright colours, but after a couple of weeks Im struggling with crushed blacks. Ive spent hours faffing with settings but cant find a balance between black detail and it being too washed out. So many settings its driving me mad

TheStam

I've had the same monitor for a month now, coming from a decent enough 1440p / 165 hz IPS panel and the QD-OLED ultrawide is the most significant upgrade I've made in ages. Absolutely love it. Had a lot of trouble with my eyes the first week giving me headaches but that went away luckily.

b0uncyfr0

Highly disagree. OLED's aren't for everyone. It's all subjective. If you live in a sunny part of the world, it'd be pretty dumb to go for an old gen OLED. They are nowhere near as bright as needed.

Sure, you can use chrtains, but who the hell wants to do that everytime to watch TV.

Top Bottom