• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Odyssey Announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
FO8PdbiWUAAc7v6

One Piece Odyssey announced, described as a new "One Piece RPG" Features an original story by author Eiichiro Oda; developed by Ilca Coming to PS4/5, XSX/S and Steam in 2022

Last edited:

Fbh

Will wait for gameplay.
I'm glad that at least it's not another arena fighter but Bandai usually cheapens out on One Piece games (most recently World Seeker which sucked).

The developer also doesn't seem particularly experienced. They've been a support team on a couple of interesting things but from what I see on their website the only things they've actually fully made themselves were those ugly Pokemon remakes and some idolmaster game.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Finally a RPG.

Let's go Gear 5.

Hold da phone. This actually looks pretty decent??? A non-shitty Arena game that involves OP?
Yeap... I have all OP mussou games but it is not the same.
The franchised lacked a RPG.

Wow, it looks like it's turn based. Hopefully it's good, as the trailer seems to tick a lot of boxes for me.
Thanks God.

Looks like Dragon Quest XI and developed by ILCA, maybe will be good?
Looks bad wtf are you guys smoking? It's literally fucking Dragon Quest if you replaced all the characters with OP ones lmfao.
Fantastic.
Day one.

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned
Bandai Namco fucking cut content from One: Piece World Seeker, hence I didn't buy the game, I cannot support a publisher that will censor things.

I will NOT buy this game, they will most likely cut content out again, like always.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Bandai Namco fucking cut content from One: Piece World Seeker, hence I didn't buy the game, I cannot support a publisher that will censor things.

I will NOT buy this game, they will most likely cut content out again, like always.

Oh man I love how even they recognise this is not an issue with the "West" but just America so the EU gets the none cut edition.

It's sad that recently USA style reeeeeing has been its largest export for the last couple of years, I wish more companies would at least just censor the US version if they feel forced too, means the rest of the globe won't have to suffer.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned

It just ventured in America.
Because well it is America… I can’t understand.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Haven’t watched One Piece for a while but I did play World Seeker last year And It was fun for a while so I’m up for an Odyssey, now, sell me on it devs.

Reactions: Isa

Belthazar

oh-no.gif

Isa

Pumped for this, could be good. Plus its got the main ladies so I'm there. Glad its this year too, I recently went through PW4 and wanted a more fleshed out game. Happy it looks turn based as well. It may not have the most recent ...stuff but that's okay by me.

Pejo

It only has my attention because it's not another anime arena fighter. If it's like DBZ: Kakarot, eh...

Fbh

It only has my attention because it's not another anime arena fighter. If it's like DBZ: Kakarot, eh...

Biggest problem with Kakarot was that at its core it was still basically an arena fighter. They just slapped some empty open areas on it, added some basic MMO style fetch quests and like 5 random enemies you fight over and over again and bam!, now it's "an RPG".

Flawed as they were, at least the Legacy of Goku games felt like an actual attempt at making an action RPG. Hopefully this One Piece games does too.

Last edited:

Larxia

It being an rpg is pretty cool, I always thought that One Piece could make massive rpgs, however... turn based? I'm actually confused with people being excited for that.
When watching the action in the anime, I never once thought "this would be super cool as turn based!".

Especially japanese turn based, I played Dragon Quest XI and while I really liked the world, atmosphere, visuals etc, the combats were absolutely terrible for me, they just felt useless because turn based in jrpg sadly usually doesn't even involve any strategy, it's just using basic commands, repeating boring encounters, possibly grinding, and every once in a while using something like a fire spell on an ennemy that is vulnerable to fire... nothing you can't do in real time.

I also particularly hate how they don't even allow you to build strategy during boss fights, because if you start using buffs / debuffs, the bosses will wipe them instantly, so there are a lot of abilities that aren't even worth using because they take too much time to use to be efficient against regular ennemies, and they don't "work" on bosses.

It's stuff that I noticed in most jrpgs I played and I always found all of this quite frustrating and boring, and a lot of stuff that people claim to be strategic thanks to turn based are things you can totally do in real time.

I mean I'm glad it's not another musou or fighter or whatever, but an action RPG would have been nice I think. The fact that they're using turn based, and also looking at that picture above with the mini map, shows that it will be a very classic old school type of JRPG with not much freedom or anything. I think it could have been nice for One Piece to have a game with a huge seamless freedom, being able to sail the seas and land on islands in real time etc, something like what you can see in Assassin's Creed Odyssey (No I don't want a ubisoft style of open world, I'm only talking about the freedom aspect) but fitting the world of One Piece.

I don't know, I can't really get excited for games like this anymore, I can already imagine all the invisible walls, probably not even being able to jump, limited in all my actions, it's not really what I would dream for a world like this.

Also not digging the visuals, it looks kinda cheap, the characters have a very "plastic" look I think.

Last edited:
They really went for the Dragon Quest XI look and, I don't know japanese but I think this screen pretty much confirms it's turn-based doesn't it?
I don't think it does. That's not a combat menu on the right, it just lists what's mapped to each button on the controller.

Belthazar

I don't think it does. That's not a combat menu on the right, it just lists what's mapped to each button on the controller.

I didn't say is was a combat menu, but they look an awful lot like field controls for turn based RPGs. If it was action based it would at least use all face and shoulder buttons for actions... instead I looks like it has basic walking, camera, interaction, jumping, etc.

I didn't say is was a combat menu, but they look an awful lot like field controls for turn based RPGs. If it was action based it would at least use all face and shoulder buttons for actions... instead I looks like it has basic walking, camera, interaction, jumping, etc.
To be honest, those look more or less identical to the controls of a Tales game to me, and those aren't turn-based. I mean it makes sense, this being a Bandai Namco game and all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom