• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Odyssey Announced

Larxia

Your points are all valid.

Though making all battles strategic can get boring really fast too, because if every battle is so challenging to the point you're ripping off every single strand of hair out of your head than most people would give up really soon.

What most JRPGs do is make 90% of the battles pretty mundane, 9% challenging (i.e. boss battles) and 1% almost impossible (i.e. secret bosses for completionists)

Like I said, your points are valid. It's kinda silly to present so many different types of spells and buffs/debuffs and almost never being able to use those in a significant way.
The worst offender is bosses being immune to almost everything (e.g. poison, sleep, confusion, petrify, insta-death)

With that said, I just love grinding in those games.
There's something so addictive about them, especially if they have great characters, story and a nice world to explore.
Yeah well I mean overall I enjoyed my time on DQ XI, otherwise I wouldn't have finished it, I also finished DQ 8, because I like a lot of things about them outside of the battle system.

I understand and agree with you about the fact it would be tiring if you had insane complicated fights constantly, but something I often think about then is, is it really worth it having so many boring encounters where you will mostly just press "attack" for dozens of hours?
I would actually like turn based a lot more if it mostly was about interesting boss fights, and much, much less of these basic encounters.
I think it would be more interesting if intstead of having 50 boring battles on your path between 2 story segments, you had just 5 memorable fight on that travel, with the rest being more focused on the exploration for example, it would make it less repetitive and could give the turn based system more opportunity to shine I think.

And like you said "It's kinda silly to present so many different types of spells and buffs/debuffs and almost never being able to use those in a significant way." I will never understand why they do this, what's the point? This could actually be fixed with what I just said I think, or make it better.
The rare cases where it would be worth it to use these spells are bosses which will wipe them after just one or two rounds, if not instantly, which is a shame because I really like the satisfying feeling of stacking many buffs / debuffs, preparing your offensive on multiple rounds, and then letting go a super massive satisfying attack making use of all that preparation, but sadly most JRPGs don't allow that, so I never can find my fun on this.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
They really went for the Dragon Quest XI look and, I don't know japanese but I think this screen pretty much confirms it's turn-based doesn't it?

img_story01.jpg
It is not DQXI look to be fair.
It is more like the Pirate Warrior look.
Even the contours in the characters.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It being an rpg is pretty cool, I always thought that One Piece could make massive rpgs, however... turn based? I'm actually confused with people being excited for that.
When watching the action in the anime, I never once thought "this would be super cool as turn based!".

Especially japanese turn based, I played Dragon Quest XI and while I really liked the world, atmosphere, visuals etc, the combats were absolutely terrible for me, they just felt useless because turn based in jrpg sadly usually doesn't even involve any strategy, it's just using basic commands, repeating boring encounters, possibly grinding, and every once in a while using something like a fire spell on an ennemy that is vulnerable to fire... nothing you can't do in real time.

I also particularly hate how they don't even allow you to build strategy during boss fights, because if you start using buffs / debuffs, the bosses will wipe them instantly, so there are a lot of abilities that aren't even worth using because they take too much time to use to be efficient against regular ennemies, and they don't "work" on bosses.

It's stuff that I noticed in most jrpgs I played and I always found all of this quite frustrating and boring, and a lot of stuff that people claim to be strategic thanks to turn based are things you can totally do in real time.

I mean I'm glad it's not another musou or fighter or whatever, but an action RPG would have been nice I think. The fact that they're using turn based, and also looking at that picture above with the mini map, shows that it will be a very classic old school type of JRPG with not much freedom or anything. I think it could have been nice for One Piece to have a game with a huge seamless freedom, being able to sail the seas and land on islands in real time etc, something like what you can see in Assassin's Creed Odyssey (No I don't want a ubisoft style of open world, I'm only talking about the freedom aspect) but fitting the world of One Piece.

I don't know, I can't really get excited for games like this anymore, I can already imagine all the invisible walls, probably not even being able to jump, limited in all my actions, it's not really what I would dream for a world like this.

Also not digging the visuals, it looks kinda cheap, the characters have a very "plastic" look I think.
Dragon Quest XI difficult is heavy tuned down… the normal difficult of DQ games is similar to what you get with Draconian Mode.

That is why I turned it on and never changed.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Give me a One Piece game where I can create my own character, build my own ship and collect my own crew. Island to island gameplay like Wind Waker. Sprinkle the world with very rare devil fruit that you can eat if you're lucky enough to find one

One Piece Odyssey announced, described as a new "One Piece RPG" Features an original story by author Eiichiro Oda; developed by Ilca Coming to PS4/5, XSX/S and Steam in 2022
Is this game not coming to the X1? I'm pretty surprised to see 3rd parties move fully to current gen, at least on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom