• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Odyssey 'Systems' trailer

nocsi

• Master the strengths of each Straw Hat member in battles that never play out the same way twice. Scramble Areas add a new dimension to combat, while Dramatic Scenes spice up encounters with unexpected events.
  • Field Actions give every Straw Hat a role while exploring. Cut through iron bars with Zoro or build bridges with Franky.
  • Craft combat items like Usopp’s Trick Balls or buff your party with Sanji’s delicious dishes to gain the edge in tough encounters.
  • Power up your characters any way you want with the flexible equipment system that lets the player customize and improve equipment as they see fit.
  • Will fulfill your Dragon Quest 11 itch
  • Due out January 13, 2023 for PlayStation 5, Playstation 4, PC/Steam, xbox

Here's some recent gameplay from PLAY! PLAY! PLAY!

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
UE4 games all look the same. This almost looks like a Dragon Quest 11 mod.
Also, it always looks horrible for anime games.

Anyway, why make a game about some elastic rubber dude and then confine him to slow walking segments.
Switching characters all the time for small, insignificant things (and through a menu of all things) feels dull and boring.
Annoying characters that talk non-stop.

This is probably another victim of design by committee

Isa

Well I got it preordered. I'm always there for some light-hearted fun, and Nami+Nico. I've really enjoyed the Pirate Warriors games but its nice to have something else to mess around with. Plus it looks very good in that DQ style which I'm a big fan of.

Nankatsu

Using a menu in between to changes characters on the fly is a big oof for me. Still, game looks interesting.

anthony2690

Banned
Game looks cool, never watched one piece.

I have it preordered, as it reminds me off DQ11, I'll probably put it on hold to play though, as I really don't fancy a JRPG atm, played so many this year. (I haven't even booted up P5R what I'm also really looking forward too at some point)

Reactions: Isa

Larxia

Anyway, why make a game about some elastic rubber dude and then confine him to slow walking segments.
Switching characters all the time for small, insignificant things (and through a menu of all things) feels dull and boring.

This is my thoughts as well, it looks pretty generic and very "plastic".
One Piece also sounds like freedom to me, and this game is exactly the opposite of freedom.

sandbood

Banned

They're using the same anime template and assets after all.

DQ11, DBZ Kakarot, trials of mana, Seven Deadly Sins, Blue Protocol, Tales of Arise, and many more.

Comandr

Mmm. Looks pretty weak. Luffy’s sprint animation doesn’t match his travel speed. It appears that only certain characters can see certain items? So only if you’re Sanji will you see random ingredients and only Nami can find money. This seems like a tedious design choice making you comb over everything multiple times with everyone.

This is the kind of game I’d wait for to be on PS+ or humble bundle inevitably in 8 months, play it for 5 minutes and decide that yep I hate it.

Croga

It's a One Piece turn based JRPG, that's me sold on it 100%

Dunno how we haven't got one until now considering how long One Piece has been around.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
If nothing else this has style coming out of its arse. I'll definitely check it out, despite knowing funk-all about "One Piece."

. . .I do like how they are explaining an "RPG game. . ." as if the viewer has never seen such a thing before.

Top Bottom