• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Woman's Predictions About Trumps 100 Days and the Midterms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I see missing is Trump firing off a barrage of executive orders- especially when the house and Senate don't want to play ball with stuff they disagree on.

There's also a few things here and there that I think Trump won't even propose at all despite campaigning on them, like setting term limits. He's flip flopped more times that I can remember.

It'll be interesting to see how Trump deals with being massively unpopular, which surely must happen very quickly after he takes office. I wonder will he keep tweeting once he's in office.

He lives in New York City where he's literally one of the most hated and reviled people living there. He's hated in New York, and that was well before he ran for office. He's just do the same thing he does now: ignore it and not give a shit.

Aurongel

Net neutrality was also killed despite a voracious fight put up by some technological giants in the field in a rider to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2018. Internet service providers began selling “internet fast lanes” and “digital customizable packages” to their customers[39]. Internet users now have to pay for “premium” packages to visit less highly-trafficked websites, with priority given to websites that have paid to be beneficiaries of the internet fast lanes[40]. Many smaller websites and user communities nearly collapsed overnight, as the diversity of content on the internet shrunk considerably. Much of the public did not oppose these measures when they were first proposed, being largely ignorant of what net neutrality was or what it entailed.[41]

Good lord. This is almost prophetic sounding and I bet will totally happen.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
NEOgaf is in the top 3 for largest messageboards. I doubt GAF will be affected by Net Neutrality in the same way smaller sites are especially with the funding it gets indirectly from users. Somethngawful might comeback in popularity and 4chan might get a crippling blow because S/A knows how to get money while 4chan is clearly strapped for cash and has been for awhile.

ISPs will still probably extort money from GAF to keep them in the "fast lanes", which would then require GAF to put up more obtrusive ads to stay afloat, resulting in a worse user experience or even security flaws.

Good lord. This is almost prophetic sounding and I bet will totally happen.

Nobody's a freaking prophet here. Everything in that post is literally just guesswork and speculation.

It's impossible to tell what will happen, but I'm sure that whatever damage does happen can most certainly be mitigated to a large extent. This kind of extreme scenario listed here doesn't happen overnight.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I tend to be a pessimist, but this thing is all a little worst-case scenario even for me.

End of the day, Trump's already very unpopular going in, and his jackassery and lack of tact and decorum is going to eat into his popularity pretty quick once people are forced to cross the demarcation line between "this guy's a refreshing outsider" and "this guy's our representative on the world stage."

I'm sure Republicans won't be able to help themselves in pushing a few very partisan measures through that don't have much popular support, mind, but they'll start to get the sense that they need to back off a bit as the Trump albatross tightens around their neck. Mid-terms will be nasty for them if they're too easily characterized as Trump's yes-men.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Honestly speaking, net neutrality will mostly become a problem for large data occupations only - Normal websites may experience images loading slightly slower, but that's about it.
Large CDNs like Netflix will have to pay up, and they will. Illegal streaming and torrenting will take a large hit.

I tend to be a pessimist, but this thing is all a little worst-case scenario even for me.

End of the day, Trump's already very unpopular going in, and his jackassery and lack of tact and decorum is going to eat into his popularity pretty quick once people are forced to cross the demarcation line between "this guy's a refreshing outsider" and "this guy's our representative on the world stage."

I'm sure Republicans won't be able to help themselves in pushing a few very partisan measures through that don't have much popular support, mind, but they'll start to get the sense that they need to back off a bit as the Trump albatross tightens around their neck. Mid-terms will be nasty for them if they're too easily characterized as Trump's yes-men.

Trump doesn't care if he's unpopular, the GOP doesn't either. If anything, that's a good thing for them. As history has shown, the public generally produces their vile at the President, and not care as much about Congress. They are going to do whatever the fuck they want.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Seems pretty like a pretty decent prediction.
The one thing I think she's off is the net neutrality stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think it's gone, but I don't think it will play quite like that, I really don't see ISPs charging money for access to certain websites any time soon. I think what we'll see is major services/websites having to pay ISPs to get decent speed and to not count against data caps. I think this is awful and will really hurt innovation in the long term, but short term most people will not notice it, and that's how they'll get away with it.

Also this -

Yep, if anything we'll see lower costs on consumer side to placate the masses and congress, but a lot of trickery behind the scenes. And Netflix/Amazon will become an effective duopoly, with the various cable cutting services dwindling.

roytheone

Question : let's say the worst happens and Trump is able to swing the sc firmly conservative. Would that mean any future democratic president will be very limited since the gop can just throw things to the sc to block it, or are there safe guards in place to prevent this?

In the house, sure, but in the Senate there are 23 Democrats up for re-election, compared to only 8 Republicans.

And here in Missouri it will be interesting, because McCaskill only won last time because she got the Republicans to nominate a crazy person (Todd Akin). And a lot of the other ones are in states that Trump won.

There isn't a better midterm year for Democrats like McCaskill to run, to be honest. If Hillary had won they'd all be toast in two years and Republicans might have something close to 60 votes in the Senate. The fact that Trump won actually gives them a good chance at surviving.

Historically, the ruling party is punished. In the Senate, like you said, there's mostly defending and a couple pickups (AZ and NV). It'll be tough and staying the same numbers might be the most realistically optimistic result, but that is still pretty good.

Question : let's say the worst happens and Trump is able to swing the sc firmly conservative. Would that mean any future democratic president will be very limited since the gop can just throw things to the sc to block it, or are there safe guards in place to prevent this?

It would depend on if democrats controlled congress as well. The SC originally consisted of only 5 judges, it was changed over the years to 7, 9, 10 in 1863, back to 7 in 1866, and finally 9 in 1869 where it has stayed. Its completely up to congress on how many SC justices there are and if either side feels like they don't give a shit anymore about the opposition and have enough votes to force a new statue through congress they can change it to whatever they want, but again has to get through both houses of congress and not get veto'd by the President.

Its brave and interesting to put up predictions about the next 2 years, the reality is probably nothing anyone could have predicted is what will occur.

johnny956

In the house, sure, but in the Senate there are 23 Democrats up for re-election, compared to only 8 Republicans.

And here in Missouri it will be interesting, because McCaskill only won last time because she got the Republicans to nominate a crazy person (Todd Akin). And a lot of the other ones are in states that Trump won.

It'll be interesting for McCaskill cause they can't use the "she supported Obama" anymore at least in 2018 it won't work as well especially as Presidents become more likeable after they left. Considering Kander lost by less then 3 points while Trump took the state by 18, I think she can still win. Missouri can still be a swing state especially now that they have full control of Missouri with a republican governor

jfkgoblue

This has been the case for every Midterm ever barring special circumstances. President's party gets punished.
This is a special circumstance a lot of Den Senators that rode Obama's coattail are up for reelection in red states, a the Republican seats are fairly safe though

Dems will be defending 23 seats vs Republicans 9

The map looks awful for Dems in 2018

Future

I actually believe liberals will lose seats just based on anecdotal conversations I have with liberals and how they think. They don't want to win as much as they want to be the smartest person in the room and super idealistic on who deserves their vote. Theyll spout charts and figures and reasons why x candidate isn't 100% in line with what they think, cite John Oliver videos on why their vote won't count because of gerrymandering or similar, and gain no support beyond their comfortable group of likeminded individuals, who also won't vote

Meanwhile republicans will vote for the candidate with the R.

And win

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW, the head of MOSSAD thinks moving the US embassy to Jerusalem would be dangerous and pointless and create only negative issues in the region, with no postive gain for Israel beyond hawkish zionists being pleased.

This is a special circumstance a lot of Den Senators that rode Obama's coattail are up for reelection in red states, a the Republican seats are fairly safe though

Dems will be defending 23 seats vs Republicans 9

The map looks awful for Dems in 2018

This IS a special circumstance. Without a crystal ball, anyone can see that this will be the most controversial president in history, even if his legislative agenda isn't carried out. It will be non stop chaos and problems from now till 2018. Now, if I've learned anything about dems in the midterms, it's that they don't show up and the republicans do. But if anything was going to change that, even slightly, it's trump antics.

Samiad

It'll be interesting to see how Trump deals with being massively unpopular, which surely must happen very quickly after he takes office. I wonder will he keep tweeting once he's in office.

As long as he has enough support to fill a large room he will think he is the most loved president of all time.

lol optimism for 2020 lol

double lol optimism for a dem victory in 2018

If you see me on the streets scavenging for aluminum make sure to help me lift all the stuff

I'am on disability lmao I saw no mention of Paul Ryan gutting medicaid and SSI which I'am sure is coming optimsim lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom