• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Usernames Over Time

Celcius

°Temp. member
A lot of folks chose their online usernames over a decade ago and use the same or similar username on all of the sites and services they use.

Have any of you decided to completely change the username that you go by online after having your old one for a long time? I’d imagine most sites won’t let you change it without starting a whole new account. I was just thinking about how once you pick a name to go by, it’s hard to start over later in life without losing a lot of things attached to existing accounts like purchases, conversation history, stats, etc. Thoughts?

BigBooper

I barely play multiplayer games, so it's no big deal keeping up with people I played with a decade ago.

I use different names. With the way things are going, everyone will be wishing they did, with the talk of universal bannings and such.

Mistake

I have many different forum names, but usually stick to the same stuff for games. My online name here changed a lot just because it took me a while to decide. Fine as it is now though

I'd actually signed up to this site previously under a different name, but I always had the avatar of Sidney from Scream.

So I naturally just sorta became Sidney on here and I enjoy rocking this name. I've got a bunch of 'Surprise, Sidney' posts as well from other users. :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'm using a different one than I used to. I used to always use the same one, not I use different ones all the time.

Catphish

I chose Catphish back in the mid 90s, as a reflection of my favorite animals; cats and dolphins (also favorite football team at the time).

Kinda sucks now, because I think catphish is the name of a computer virus, phishing is a criminal act, and catfishing is being a piece of shit to other people. I now have to explain myself more than I would like.

But fuck it. I ain’t changing it. I was here first. :messenger_pouting:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
My username on most sites use to be The Great One in the early 2000's ( ala The Rock )
But most people shorten it to TGO when referring to me so in the mid 2000's I ended up using that and have done ever since.
My PSN name hasn't changed.
But my original online PS ID before PSN was Solid_Snake or SolidSnake...I think.
Definitely Solid Snake is some capacity.

Dark Star

I use a bunch of different usernames online and across every social media (Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc). I do some musician/band stuff so I use the stage name/production name a ton, like as my go-to login name. But on forums/message boards especially I always use random/different names. I’m not Dark Star anywhere else besides here.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I picked this username at random just for this site. I'm sure all sorts of totally different, completely unrelated people use it as well on other sites. Absolutely anonymous :p

Bartski

Gold Member
Usually my childhood nicknames, or permutations of my real name initials I used to run music scene projects under. Most are long retired so I don't really care.

"Bartski" is a nickname I was given while living in the Netherlands by the locals, I use it mainly for gaming-related accounts and somehow Instagram.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
ChiefEngineerScotty, I changed it when it turned out i was a shit engineer for Team Fortress Classic competitive and had recently replayed Resident Evil, suffice to say as a Heavy Weapon Guy for league play, the guy packing the Magnum as the weapon stuck with me, so I was S.T.A.R.S.Barry for few years, but most username don't accept .'s so it evolved into STARSBarry ever since and has been for over 18 years now.

At least that's what steam tells me, no known aliases.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
My username was always Bookkoo from an energy drink i used to drink and a username block for something and a can of it was on my desk. However once I started a Monk in World of Warcraft when I was younger I wanted to name it Juked...which was taken so I settled on Jooxed and that has been my username ever since.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
It seems like a terrible idea to compile a thread of all our past usernames because of the potential of adversaries having a list of easily googleable bullshit to fine tooth comb our entire internet history with.

That said, I used to go by Punkstatik35 and Agent666E4 because I was so edge that I was in the corner getting ready for a spear.

Tams

I have a an Xbox username and a Google Play username that for whatever reason I let the systems choose for me. They gave me some pretty funky ones, both with numbers on the end for whatever reason. I guess I just wanted to play whatever it was.

Kev Kev

my username used to be buttsizzle on here. i stole it from some douche that came over to my apartment and played halo (someone else invited him). it was his nickname and every one got a chuckle out of it. so i decided to make a gold account after he left that night just to be a dick. fuck you james, you were a prick lol

Last edited:

GymWolf

My username on most sites use to be The Great One in the early 2000's ( ala The Rock )
But most people shorten it to TGO when referring to me so in the mid 2000's I ended up using that and have done ever since.
My PSN name hasn't changed.
But my original online PS ID before PSN was Solid_Snake or SolidSnake...I think.
Definitely Solid Snake is some capacity.
For the longest time i thought your name was refered to the famous anime with the teacher but just now i remember that the anime name was GTO...

• LOL
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom