• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 9.6 million VR headsets have been shipped WORLDWIDE in 2022.

The bolded is a great question. Because the hardcore VR heads (like myself) never got our full feeding of what VR gaming is supposed to be yet. You say 8 years as if it's truly been 8 real years of content. Since 2014, we've probably had 3 strong years worth of content. And half of that time was more novelty type games that made us hardcore VR people happy, but that was never going to last long.

But I think we may be using the word "casuals" differently. To me, a casual VR buyer is someone that may play 1 or 2 games a year, but also want VR to be in the "MetaVerse" and watch the latest Futbol Premier League match in VR and that's mostly it. Is that how you are defining the word "casual"?

Most VR buyers or fence sitters don't believe in that term, and that data in that other thread shoes that term is a turnoff, and that instead people should just call it VR instead of <insert name>verse.

Those aren't the people holding high-score tourneys for Beat Saber, those are the Fifa players that tried the headsets at best buy and then left after watching a movie on their Gear. You seem to be using the Wii rebrand of casual, instead of the pre-Wii casual which is what I'm using.

krumble

While gamers might go wild for the tech the fov-eye tracking is going to a privacy issue for a lot of people. Our data is already sucked from us and shared god knows how many times with organisations due to shady information governance and terms of service, how many people are going to be happy with every eye movement, pupil dilation, every piece of data of you're individual iris and eye makeup packaged up into lots and lots of data and siphoned off for future exploitation. Proper eye tracking is my no-go barrier, pass me the tin foil hat, but there is enough indoctrination and brainwashing via tv and movies, I don't want any organization having that level access to my personal data. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, what happens when that gets captured, anyway Meta can talk about a decade long project, we all know their deadline is 2030 (that's why the United Nations called it agenda 2030) as once Ai takes jobs on a significant scale the governments are going to have an issue once they manage to create the new "useless class" or "useless part of society", the "useless eaters" who need to be on strong meds from pharma while plugged into the meta verse while we live in our pods, own nothing and "supposedly" are happy and civil unrest is quashed.
Not a conspiracy theory, a conspiracy fact, go look at the WEF presentations for years now detailing the plans our governments and leaders have for us once AI starts taking peoples jobs.
I've got a full Vive setup from initial launch, I bought a PSVR along the way for some of the exclusives and also play my mates Quest 2.
Vr has a lot of potential, but once Facebook/meta and other corporates and big tech stepped in it comes with a sinister undertone, a big scandal was Facebook and Cambridge analytica, right now the fallout from the Twitter files continues, where it's clear that these platforms have been weaponised against civilians
I think once Facebook put on that extra $100 that killed the growth flat, they had the chance to continue to steamroller those subsidised quest headsets out to the masses, but the Facebook brand went toxic and meta isn't doing massively better from what we saw the past year or so, it's a tough subject these days, we all knew palmer lucky selling out oculus would be bad long term, I think we are fast approaching that :(
I tried to keep the topics neutral and keep the political sides out of what I wrote because 95% of western governments all parties are on board with these plans, doesn't matter left or right, red or blue etc as both sides have committed to the UN goals and vr is a part of that it turns out

Crayon

Agreed! I also think we need to respect technological achievements as they happen. And not just jump the gun. The fact is, we were never going to go from the Atari 2600 to PS4 in 7 years. To me we are possibly entering into the NES territory of VR, where 2D games ruled the day, but 3D gaming wasn't much of a thought or even a possibility yet.

I'm not going to be the guy playing an NES wishing we had some super future-style game that allowed me to play in 3 dimensions with full voice acting and real-time physics. I think that's the problem I have with many VR doubters at the moment. Like slowdown and at least let us enjoy what we have and demand for these companies to keep supporting the format.

Hmm. Another way I'm thinking about it is that the most important thing right now is to make sure the early adopters are happy with what they buy. They'll need to see another heavy hitter before the year is up and generally love the thing. Keep the honeymoon going, so to speak. It would be easier to show vr in screens if people had better imaginations, but they don't. Making sure the core users are happy could get a little word of mouth going in their direction.

mckmas8808

Banned
Hmm. Another way I'm thinking about it is that the most important thing right now is to make sure the early adopters are happy with what they buy. They'll need to see another heavy hitter before the year is up and generally love the thing. Keep the honeymoon going, so to speak. It would be easier to show vr in screens if people had better imaginations, but they don't. Making sure the core users are happy could get a little word of mouth going in their direction.

That's 100% how I feel. We are on the same page word for word there. You are better at explaining it than me.

But this is my exact feelings. Then in 2024 see if you can push it to more "casuals".

https://www.techspot.com/news/97106-falling-vr-headset-sales-could-spell-bad-news.html

Also apparently Facebooks VR division has lost $16 billion since the start of the year, so I think the question is for all companies and not just for them, if this VR thing is sustainable and able to be profitable, or if it's just an optional gateway to other services companies hope people will spend money on to eventually make up for losses in VR.

That loss also includes post-price increase for Quest 2, if the Quest 2 was a major cause for those losses, how much will TCL, HTC, and Sony be losing?
There is a myriad of reasons that Meta VR lost 16b. Most of that is extreme overstaffing while selling the quest below cost, without any compelling software to make up for hardware losses. Zuck thought he could amortize the cost over the next decade, but then the tech sector started to crash, and they realized they would have to make up those costs in other ways (like 20000 layoffs). Basically they thought they could use the old console gaming trick of selling hardware at a loss and making up for it on software. There were two problems. They had no great software, meta isn’t a gaming company, and they created a walled garden, because like Sony, they are idiots.
If Sony has made their headset pC compatible, they would lead the market worldwide.

While gamers might go wild for the tech the fov-eye tracking is going to a privacy issue for a lot of people. Our data is already sucked from us and shared god knows how many times with organisations due to shady information governance and terms of service, how many people are going to be happy with every eye movement, pupil dilation, every piece of data of you're individual iris and eye makeup packaged up into lots and lots of data and siphoned off for future exploitation. Proper eye tracking is my no-go barrier, pass me the tin foil hat, but there is enough indoctrination and brainwashing via tv and movies, I don't want any organization having that level access to my personal data. They say the eyes are the window to the soul, what happens when that gets captured, anyway Meta can talk about a decade long project, we all know their deadline is 2030 (that's why the United Nations called it agenda 2030) as once Ai takes jobs on a significant scale the governments are going to have an issue once they manage to create the new "useless class" or "useless part of society", the "useless eaters" who need to be on strong meds from pharma while plugged into the meta verse while we live in our pods, own nothing and "supposedly" are happy and civil unrest is quashed.
Not a conspiracy theory, a conspiracy fact, go look at the WEF presentations for years now detailing the plans our governments and leaders have for us once AI starts taking peoples jobs.
I've got a full Vive setup from initial launch, I bought a PSVR along the way for some of the exclusives and also play my mates Quest 2.
Vr has a lot of potential, but once Facebook/meta and other corporates and big tech stepped in it comes with a sinister undertone, a big scandal was Facebook and Cambridge analytica, right now the fallout from the Twitter files continues, where it's clear that these platforms have been weaponised against civilians
I think once Facebook put on that extra $100 that killed the growth flat, they had the chance to continue to steamroller those subsidised quest headsets out to the masses, but the Facebook brand went toxic and meta isn't doing massively better from what we saw the past year or so, it's a tough subject these days, we all knew palmer lucky selling out oculus would be bad long term, I think we are fast approaching that :(
I tried to keep the topics neutral and keep the political sides out of what I wrote because 95% of western governments all parties are on board with these plans, doesn't matter left or right, red or blue etc as both sides have committed to the UN goals and vr is a part of that it turns out
LOL
thats all i have to say about that 😂
“Eyes are the window to the soul”.

I don’t think you understand what eye tracking is….

I pretty much stopped reading after that bit of conspiracy nonsense.

Top Bottom