• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only a few weeks away from "E3" (SGF etc.) and....next to zero hype..

Your prediction for what you'll end up rating (on aggregate) E3/SGF/individual company streams?

• 1/10

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • 2/10

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • 3/10

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 4/10

Votes: 11 6.9%
  • 5/10

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • 6/10

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • 7/10

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • 8/10

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • 9/10

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • 10/10

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Don't care

Votes: 34 21.3%
  • I won't be watching it

Votes: 11 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Has Nintendo officially announced an E3 direct yet? I suspect it will be the 2nd Tues in June as always but who know.

Things change but I enjoy the spectacle and pomp of live shows and floor kiosks. Treehouse live had been the best part of E3 for years so I hope it comes back

Doczu

I was just talking to my coworker just a few hours ago about that reason to go to e3 back in the day :messenger_tears_of_joy:.

On topic, agreed about the lack of hype for E3 this time around. Still waiting for the announcements of the times of the conferences though.

On the prerecorded e3 topic. I actually like the fact that isn't some live action thing. I kinda wish that they would take advantage of it and do something amazing.
Tit joke aside, the last few E3's were a downer and Covid didnt help with maintaining any hype for games.

Fuck pre recorded announcements of games that have been or will be delayed

Ellery

1rS2nqQ.jpg

I am actually most hyped for Xbox. If I had to rate it I'd go :

Hype Levels (unrelated to actual artificial hype being created by social media, streams etc, but purely based on my personal expectations given the circumstances those companies, publishers and developers are in) :

Xbox 8/10
PlayStation 7/10
Nintendo 7/10
Third Party 6.5/10

Xbox/Microsoft made many good decisions in the last 5-6 years and I am pretty sure Phil Spencer was involved in most of them. Universal play bringing everything Xbox owns to PC Day1. Great Controllers. Accessibility hardware for handicapped people. Great Hardware in the Xbox Series X and many high priced studio acquisitions. Obviously I am not a fan of studio acquisitions, but they can also result in good things. And this is what I am hoping for this year's Xbox summer reveals and announcements.

I would have given Xbox a higher score, but recent rumors and delays of some of their key games made me settle on 8/10.

So yeah now is the time for Xbox to shine and show up. There is no longer any room for making us wait and not giving us the games we were hoping for for so long. And we want more than just some pre rendered cinematic trailer from games that are 5 years out and probably in development hell. We want AAA games, AAA games gameplay and release dates.

PlayStation gets a lot of attention and expectation. The PS4 generation was amazing with Bloodborne, three banger Naughty Dog games, God of War, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Spiderman and so on. And now we are in the transitional phase where multiple games release on both PS4 and PS5. However this time needs to come to an end and we want full fledged PS5 exclusives that makes us drool. Ragnarok and maybe a couple of other games (maybe even TLOU Remake?) might still be cross generation and I think it is a tiny bit too early to hope to see the absolute groundbreaking PS5 exclusives in the near term future. Some announcements/teasers I could possibly see, but the real meat will probably not release for a while.

This makes me only give a 7/10 to PlayStation, because I think many of their projects are mainstream MARVEL projects (which I am completely fatigued by and don't care in general much about superheroes) and a longer transitional phase than I would like.

So my expectations are : Marvel games, big God of War Ragnarok segment and a few teasers here and there to keep us complacent.

Nintendo is always a special case and I am pretty indifferent about the majority of their games since they have a pretty gigantic reach well into the absolute mainstream for their games. Which is fine since I don't expect every single game to be catered around me. But we do have BOTW2 on the horizon and I'd love to see some actual gameplay (and maybe even more). Then there is the chance for a new Mario maybe? I have no idea, but mainline entries of Mario or Donkey Kong would be well appreciated.

Going for a 7/10, because Nintendo has been showing increased activity in the second half of the Switch lifecycle and this makes me optimistic they might surprise me here and there. The Switch is selling fantastically well and the 3DS was abandoned. So we know where Nintendo's focus is. Will that focus align with what I play on Nintendo hardware? Time will tell

Third Party has a tough standing here because of the pace of studio acquisitions by the big boys and uncertaintity of where the projects in general stand. Coupled with plenty of disappointment like Cyberpunk 2077 or every single project EA and Ubisoft manage to release. Some of the Third Party content will also show up in Xbox, Playstation and maybe even Nintendo events.

Other than that Third Party always has a chance to create greatness. Many rumored remakes that would make me go wild. I am trying to be realistic here. Reality is often disconnected from the most thirsty of internet gaming rumors.

Last edited:

TheMan

Hype for what? The beauty of E3 was that everything was concentrated in a week of events. Now, it's some nebulous summer gaming thing and there's no mention of keynotes, games being presented, and I'm not even sure how it works.

Last edited:

BlueHawk

Neo Member
My hype levels?

Playstation - 6/10
Xbox - 7/10
Nintendo - 5/10

PS - Talk more about their Gamepass and introduce loads of new games to add, which would be awesome. Talk about God Of War being pushed back a bit and maybe another 1-3 new titles.

Xbox - Talk about some third person Gamepass games coming this year, and apologies for Starfield being pushed back, and some gameplay. Hopefully they will introduce a few new exclusive games that will launch soon.

Nintendo - always a surprise, but been a bit tired of them lately and hoping for something refreshing this time. There is a slight chance of a Switch Pro announcement or hint.

supernova8

Banned
The radio silence to me means they could show a lot of stuff at E3.
I am optimistic about a LOT of game reveals to be made this e3 with dates on 2024/25.

9/10 for me. Please be gameplay trailers.

Are you sure with Xbox 3/10 ?
I mean (if neglecting personal taste) I think MS is going to blow the roof with trailers and reveals with this E3.

OK maybe 4/10 if you insist.
What exactly are you expecting from Xbox (not even sure I want many more reveals until they release a big chunk of the heavy hitters they said they would release)?

I don't mean to be a downer on Xbox but it's just that in comparison to Playstation and Nintendo it feels as though they have far fewer wild cards to pull out of the hat. Like when was the last time we had the Xbox equivalent of Final Fantasy 7 remake? I'm not even a FF fan but even I was like "shiiit that looks good".

Orbital2060

I think people should take Starfield out of equatilon now after the delay. Xbox + Beth have so much other stuff they could push out this year and why would they waste time on Starfield if it isnt launching this year.

Just saying, Im not expecting any Starfield in the showcase.

supernova8

Banned
It just feels a bit outdated these days.

All I care about is gameplay footage, perhaps with a succinct presentation from a studio head/senior programmer.
Not sure about your age group but I'm 31 so I've been around (ie independently watching) E3 since pretty much the first time it was easily available to watch on the internet (back when there were no live streams or, if there were, they were in those realplayer 10cm x 10cm boxes and you would have to buffer the shit out of it).

I'm one of the people who still resents Nintendo for doing away with live conferences and moving to Directs. I appreciate how concise/succinct/efficient their Directs are but there's no replacing the awkwardness but also awesomeness that comes with live shows.

I remember watching E3 back when Xbox fucked it up with DRM stuff with the Xbox One and then Jack Tretton came on after and dropped that mic like it was E3 1995 all over again. And then on top of that Andrew House came out and undercut Xbox One by $100. It was just one of those "oh I will remember this" moments. Same goes for the cringey Kinect stuff (the little girl actor clearly faking playing with the lion on the screen or Peter Molyneux and his bogus Milo demo thing). I hated Kinect but at least it was memorable. Or even the Killzone 2 reveal back before we were 100% sure it was completely CGI and not really running on PS3.

Bit of a trip down memory lane, feeling a bit disillusioned with what's happened to this thing I used to call a hobby. It's become far too mainstream, far too risk-averse. I think the moment I knew we were all fucked was when companies started to advertise paid DLC before a game was even out. That's when it was clear game companies were really going to start milking us.

Anyway I'll GIF react to myself to save you the trouble:

Coolstory Cool Story Bro GIF by Hook SEO

Last edited:
Is there an E3 this year? A real one?

Are there actual conferences / convention center showings this year?

If so, my hype is in. Any schedules?

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'm only interested in and will only watch Nintendo and Xbox. I think those 2 will give us an 8 or 9 out of ten if Nintendo brings a lot of BotW 2 to their presentation and Xbox has a ton of announcements from all their studios and some Day 1 Game Pass surprises.

But those two were the only worthwhile shows last year. The rest were utter garbage so overall I think it will end up being a 5 or 6 out of 10.

Chukhopops

I'm apparently one of the few that actually really loved E3 and everything about it. It's a real shame that it is no longer happening.
I loved E3, have some great memories of watching the conferences during the night a couple years ago, falling asleep between big announcements.

It’s really sad that live conferences are dead (even MS is gonna be pre-recorded) and only a few companies still do anything (we might still have MS, Devolver, Ubisoft, EA maybe?).

The biggest expectation I have outside of the MS conference is some good indies, like how we saw Inscryption and Crown Trick for the first time last year.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Honestly I don't care about the big three. All I need is for Capcom to confirm development in DD2 and I'll be satisfied.

Surprises are welcome too but I don't expect too much.

skneogaf

Hoping for elden ring dlc news, bloodborne news, street fighter 6 news, forza motorsport graphics, the last of us remake and some information about God of war ragnarok.

Haggard

Banned
They`ll show something when they actually have something to show . No need for an E3 (cancelled anyways) SGF or anything.

Starfield hype has been let go like a balloon, Pbpbpbpbpb over a high rise balcony onto a street where it's being run over by old cars and kicked into a gutter.

KXVXII9X

What exactly should we be hype for? Even the industry and advertisers (the main reason for past e3s) aren't promoting anything. It's not our fault for not getting excited about literally nothing.

I even fall into the category of people that miss e3. I miss the cringe, the industry bs, all of it. But it's dead.
I miss that too. Despite the cringe, it was still fun to watch, and it was nice having gamers get all excited. We still have all the industry BS but packed in a blander way. I do love the Nintendo style Direct format and it is more to the point, but long are the days of opening orchestral scores revealing to the next biggest game, or long gameplay demos on stage. At least with Nintendo, they mostly show gameplay. Most of the content for recent shows have been dressed up CG trailers with "Please Be Excited!"

KXVXII9X

Bayonetta 3

You might be disappointed, but honestly if they don’t show it as this point its really canceled or going to next Nintendo gen console.

As much as I want a Bayonetta 3 I’d rather it not look like pure shit, so I kind of hope it’s being delayed for a machine with actual power.
It definitely looks like it is coming out. There have been two (I think) gameplay trailers so far and it mostly looks done. It isn't like they only showed CG footage or a title card with no recent updates.

nkarafo

Its going to be more CGI trailers from the same factory with the usual roaring monsters and superhero landings. So why care.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Starfield hype has been let go like a balloon, Pbpbpbpbpb over a high rise balcony onto a street where it's being run over by old cars and kicked into a gutter.
Post you can hear.

And yeah, at least that happened for me. I was eager for watching some gameplay on the 12th but now, knowing the game is still up to even a year away, I find it a bit harder to be interested in it.

Maybe they don't even show a lot of actual gameplay, and just some in-game scenes. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm looking forward to the MS presentation, but the Starfield and Redfall delays did put a damper on my excitement. I'm hoping that they show things that are actually going to come out this year and not 2-3 years from now.

I don't know, I think the only people who are not hyped are those still waiting for their preferred platform to announce their own event. Otherwise, I'm extremely excited for the Xbox event in just a couple more weeks.

Shubh_C63

OK maybe 4/10 if you insist.
What exactly are you expecting from Xbox (not even sure I want many more reveals until they release a big chunk of the heavy hitters they said they would release)?

I don't mean to be a downer on Xbox but it's just that in comparison to Playstation and Nintendo it feels as though they have far fewer wild cards to pull out of the hat. Like when was the last time we had the Xbox equivalent of Final Fantasy 7 remake? I'm not even a FF fan but even I was like "shiiit that looks good".
Even with a single trailer of all the studios MS has acquired could make for a great sizzle reel for E3. And MS is all about hyping stuff up and not delivering. When it comes to "winning" or rating E3, I think MS has this in the bag.

otherwise gears is probably the only MS IP I care about. But I wouldn't say no to Fable.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
E3 2022 was canceled.

Long live e3 2022.

I'm an old fart so I have seen streets and mall and schools change names and add stuff and lose stuff. It's still the same thing. Summer Games Fest taking place at the same time with the same participants makes it all the same to me.

cireza

At least the Xbox show will offer an evening of entertainment. Can't be that bad, with a good beer and something to eat. And with some luck, I will get to see a game I am interested in, like PSO2NG last year (if I recall correctly).

Fbh

Yeah I'm not hyped for CG trailers or "in engine" trailer for shit that's coming in 2025, nor do I care about the big next "exciting" GaaS game from every major publisher or whatever is coming to season 20 of Apex Legends or the next Marvel crossover in Fortnite.

There's a few specific things I'm looking forward to like hopefully a nice long look at FFXVI, Bayonetta 3 and Starfield. But I'm not excited about the events in general.

Top Bottom