• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only for GamePass this statement make sense...

Beechos

This is exactly the mindset ms wants people to have with gamepass. Once gaming subscriptions mature, gamepass will be synonymous with it. It will be the 1st game sub service people will look at because they think its "free" and "the best deal in gaming".

Aion002

People are paying for access to the rotating Game Pass library. The sooner people realize that, they better. Otherwise, you are falling for their marketing. For me personally, one of the big things any of the sub services currently lack is choice. So, in the future, I will most likely only sub for online access and only re-sub occasionally.

For someone who has the time and games constantly no matter "what" it is and always prefer to discover "new" things to try, sub services are great. But if you want any matter of choice, then it's not as good. I give props to those who are willing to wait to see if a game they like will be added. Right now, most games I end up trying are "bonuses", since I will just buy the ones I want and those usually don't come to any of the sub services, so far anyway!

Actually is great for everybody on Xbox that has access to MS Rewards.

You get access to a shit ton of games to play anywhere + extra reward points to get the games you want to buy for free or with discounts.

For example: In one month you can get 20 usd in rewards, with 3 months you can get a brand new game for free, a bunch of games on sales or you can even save to always have game pass for free.

And all it takes is 10 minutes or less of your time to get all the daily points.

Season 2 Premiere GIF by Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block

Unless you hate playing video games, there's absolutely nothing to complain about this service.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I send Phil 15 dollars a month to reward him for his hard work. He gives me free games to play because he is just a generous man.

Seems over the top. We've already got the shrines and rituals, a monthly tithe is just too far. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

But at least you do get the games, so, I guess it works out.

I was a bit bummed that their were no good GPU deals during BF this year, maybe during the Xmas week sales.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Bless you OP for thinking that this thread won't turn into 'game pass bad' thread.

Secondly, anyone whose paying full price for game pass, just holler at ya boys, you can get 3 years of gamepass for $110 with just 2 minutes of work.

Or if you want to do the daily rewards, you can even get it for free. Hollar at Topher Topher for the deets.

With those metrics, anything on the service may as well be free. :messenger_peace:

Presentation GIF by H&Z Management Consulting

reinking

Gold Member
Sony doesn't have a platform like Microsoft with Bing and Windows to build a Rewards program on so nearly impossible for them to replicate it. I do think it would be cool if we got points for each achievement like Sony gives for trophies though. Outside of that, there is really no comparison though.
II used to use rewards for Gold just because I could achieve it with no extra effort on my part just by using bing on PC and a few other things. When I moved to GPU I had to put effort into it and it started feeling like a chore. Not that it is difficult or lengthy, just that I had to remember to do it. I still use bing (even though it is getting worse for actual searching IMO) to collect rewards but it doesn't cover my whole cost of GPU so I do the gold conversion.

Sony does not offer a reward program unless you use a Sony or PlayStation branded credit card. I have been using a PlayStation branded card for about 5 years now. I use it to pay bills and daily purchases. I also make sure to pay it off every month (I just pay the balance every paycheck so it does not get out of control). I get enough points from that to buy PlayStation Plus and a few games throughout the year. I have close to $300 worth of points sitting in my awards account from this year and that is after spending some. Too bad I forgot to cash out for Sony gift cards to apply it toward my PSVR2 preorder. :(

I do wish Sony would come up a decent reward program like MicroSoft has but I also understand they do not have a web browser to generate the ad revenue to do it.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
II used to use rewards for Gold just because I could achieve it with no extra effort on my part just by using bing on PC and a few other things. When I moved to GPU I had to put effort into it and it started feeling like a chore. Not that it is difficult or lengthy, just that I had to remember to do it. I still use bing (even though it is getting worse for actual searching IMO) to collect rewards but it doesn't cover my whole cost of GPU so I do the gold conversion.

I can get that. It does take some dedication to a daily chore to maximize the benefit.

Sony does not offer a reward program unless you use a Sony or PlayStation branded credit card. I have been using a PlayStation branded card for about 5 years now. I use it to pay bills and daily purchases. I also make sure to pay it off every month (I just pay the balance every paycheck so it does not get out of control). I get enough points from that to buy PlayStation Plus and a few games throughout the year. I have close to $300 worth of points sitting in my awards account from this year and that is after spending some. Too bad I forgot to cash out for Sony gift cards to apply it toward my PSVR2 preorder. :(

I do wish Sony would come up a decent reward program like MicroSoft has but I also understand they do not have a web browser to generate the ad revenue to do it.

Sony's Playstation launched their loyalty program that lets you earn points doing gaming activities. Not the same thing as MS Rewards, but it doesn't require you to use a Sony credit card.

Adam_802

This is in the realm of Psychology and semantics

This is the second time a person has presented me with this statement about Gamepass. And when the person says it, I freeze up, not because of the statement itself, but the belief the person has about this statement.

"[insert game] is free on Gamepass."
Cheekily, I reply, "Oh? How much is GamePass?" And in both instances, they each gave me its $1 trial month then whatever cost it is monthly afterwards.

This is not a Ya'see! Microsoft..Xbox..Gamepass ..BAD! thread, What I am solely focusing on is that no other streaming service, even in their infancy, had this effect on consumers to where this statement holds. (e.i: Dude, you didn't need to go to the movie to see Avenger, you could of seen it for free on Disney+")

There is still a value to movie and music, regardless of how it is distributed.

or am I crazy or did I forget we change the word free with convenience? or for gaming, convenience blurs the value [of the service] of games?

^ Tell me you don't know about MS Rewards without saying you don't know about MS Rewards. LOL

sainraja

Actually is great for everybody on Xbox that has access to MS Rewards.

You get access to a shit ton of games to play anywhere + extra reward points to get the games you want to buy for free or with discounts.

For example: In one month you can get 20 usd in rewards, with 3 months you can get a brand new game for free, a bunch of games on sales or you can even save to always have game pass for free.

And all it takes is 10 minutes or less of your time to get all the daily points.

Season 2 Premiere GIF by Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block

Unless you hate playing video games, there's absolutely nothing to complain about this service.
My post wasn't a complaint. People have different ways of accessing what they like and I was sharing another perspective that aligns with my own.

sainraja

Exactly. Anything on Game Pass is free for me since I pay for it with MS/Xbox Rewards. I got another year FREE with Rewards since the beginning of 2022.
So, even YOU don't think it is worth paying for. You would rather invest your time grinding MS/Xbox rewards to pay for it. I can understand that, after all...when it really is free for you, then why not? No wonder you are willing to advertise for defend it blindly. :D

It seems like a certain group of fans are always looking for new and creative ways to bitch about Game Pass.
Perhaps stop focusing on their posts? And who was bitching about Game Pass? You don't always need to be so defensive.

P.S. Sony has reward system now playstation Stars or something. You can get digital trophies and if you do really good you can get a premium award of Sony customer service "pie_tears_joy::pie_roffles::pie_gsquint::pie_winking::pie_grinning:
If you are going to laugh at something, you should at least be informed about it. You can earn rewards on the new PlayStation system and use it towards a gift card that allows you to put it towards whatever you like ā€” sub, games, etc. (I don't know how grindy it is, but if it is more grindy than MS rewards, you can surely laugh at that if it will make you feel better.)

Don't get my wrong. I have no problem with the value a sub service can provide (and that is something that is always changing based on what it might offer at a given time). My habits are different than yours and based on what I have realized so far, I just tend to buy games I want.

So, unlike you, in the long run, I can end up spending more if I do both.

Last edited:

Yumi

People have bee paying for Xbox Gold for over 10 years. Now they get free game at basically the same cost. Thatā€™s probably why.

sainraja

People have bee paying for Xbox Gold for over 10 years. Now they get free game at basically the same cost. Thatā€™s probably why.
It is a little bit more.....but yeah, my reason for subscribing to Game Pass Ultimate when it launched was basically that ā€” I want to play online and being able to get access to a library of games is a plus.

(And I have actually paid for it ā€” but in the future, when it comes time to renew, I will base it on how much I found myself using it). I also had mine extended with the All Access offer and lost a couple months due to the max limit thing (since some of the months I had, I had already paid for before).

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The psychology here is very obvious, but you gotta admit, when you get the chance to try a widely praised game on GP and you donā€™t like it, it even feels like you got free money.

Perceived value is a peculiar thing. I pay more each month for GP than what I would with Disney+ or Netflix, but even if I could watch one or more movies a day every month, Iā€™d still feel those subscriptions are too expensive. I donā€™t feel this way with Game Pass.

I don't know why so many people around here are so triggered by Gamepass.

If you're driven to make a thread because someone hasn't fully acknowledged to you that they pay any amount of money for Gamepass, it's probably time to step back.

I just loaded up Pentiment. Didn't pay a penny to play it. Didn't subscribe to Gamepass to play it. Feels free to me. Why does it upset you?

From the perspective of an existing Game Pass subscriber it feels ā€œfreeā€.

Like the orange juice in my fridge. As a user of my appartement, the orange juice feels free, even if I bought it before :D.

Itā€™s like ā€œdonā€™t order an (expensive) orange juice here, we have some at homeā€.

Donā€™t order an expensive 70 EUR game, we can have it cheaper for the 12 EUR per month, we already payed.

It's amazing that Microsoft managed to make Game Pass feel free to their users.
That's actually a massive accomplishment from a marketing perspective.
this ^
It feels free compared to paying $70 for it.

I understand what you're saying, but I guess all they mean is "I pay for this service, and I can play this game on the service without having to pay extra for it". Hence the "free" feeling.

I ask you all: Is this "feeling of free" exclusive to gaming?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
So, even YOU don't think it is worth paying for. You would rather invest your time grinding MS/Xbox rewards to pay for it. I can understand that, after all...when it really is free for you, then why not? No wonder you are willing to advertise for defend it blindly. :D
It is most definitely worth paying for where did I say it wasn't. But why should I NOT use the not use the rewards I get it for Free. Doing what I normally would do every day is not grinding, in fact a lot of the quests are fun to me.
Instead of accusing me of defending something blindly, do some introspection and ask yourself why you always pretend to be neutral, yet you have to rush in to defend Sony blindly
Perhaps stop focusing on their posts? And who was bitching about Game Pass? You don't always need to be so defensive.
I will focus on whatever I want who are you to tell what to do and how to react. Maybe in the future mind your own business and don't focus on my posts..
If you are going to laugh at something, you should at least be informed about it. You can earn rewards on the new PlayStation system and use it towards a gift card that allows you to put it towards whatever you like ā€” sub, games, etc. (I don't know how grindy it is, but if it is more grindy than MS rewards, you can surely laugh at that if it will make you feel better.)
If you're going to in to defend Sony's crappy reward program and tell me not to laugh at it, maybe YOU should be better informed or at least know what you have to do to get them and how grindy it is or isn't.
Don't get my wrong. I have no problem with the value a sub service can provide (and that is something that is always changing based on what it might offer at a given time). My habits are different than yours and based on what I have realized so far, I just tend to buy games I want.

So, unlike you, in the long run, I can end up spending more if I do both.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Yeah I just use it to gradually accrue points too. Use it for hardware now.

Just checked though and 15k points for 3 months of Gold is easy as piss.

Another one if you just subscribe to normal Game Pass would be to set auto redeem for the Ā£5 Xbox credit @ 5500 points a month and then just top up @ Ā£2.99 a month.

bender

What time is it?
Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, we are the imagination of ourselves, and that we often misuse the most common of words. Here's Tom with the Weather.

Antwix

I feel as if this notion came, at least in part from, clickbait style articles/videos which are quite prevalent in the gaming scene.

Anyway, if you're paying money for a service, you're delusional if you think games/products coming out on that service are "free". However many people like myself take advantage of easy rewards to get these services for free. Just a few minutes a day while taking a shit or laying in bed in the morning/night.

adamsapple

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, we are the imagination of ourselves, and that we often misuse the most common of words. Here's Tom with the Weather.

sainraja

People also say say the same with the "free" games from Games with Gold or Ps+
Yeah, that is true. I have spoken on this before...when Sony started the PS+ thing ā€” people were quick to say "FREE" and I would always point out that it is included as part of the subscription or we have access to it due to what we pay monthly, can't be free if there is a cost to it; eventually I stopped doing that.

Last edited:

light2x

From the perspective of an existing Game Pass subscriber it feels ā€œfreeā€.

Like the orange juice in my fridge. As a user of my appartement, the orange juice feels free, even if I bought it before :D.

Itā€™s like ā€œdonā€™t order an (expensive) orange juice here, we have some at homeā€.

Donā€™t order an expensive 70 EUR game, we can have it cheaper for the 12 EUR per month, we already payed.
This is a good analogy.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I've missed you so much.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I subscribe to Gamepass because it makes sense to do so, I would buy Halo, Gears, Starfield, etc. Day 1.

So getting all the other games as well, feels free.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime to get the deliveries. The tv and music feels free.

yurinka

Included in Game Pass, PS Plus, Netflix is the correct terminology.
This, because they aren't free.

Also, you don't get the game for being subscribed. You don't own them, you get allowed to play it while still subscribed and while the game is still available in the service. Once you unsubscribe or once they remove it from the service you won't be able to play them.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I subscribe to Gamepass because it makes sense to do so, I would buy Halo, Gears, Starfield, etc. Day 1.

So getting all the other games as well, feels free.

I subscribe to Amazon Prime to get the deliveries. The tv and music feels free.

Just the amount of day 1 games I've played in 2021~2022 alone has covered, multiple times even, what I paid for the 3 years I have ongoing right now. I agree with you, with a scenario like that it does feel 'free'. The same applies for people who feel like they've gotten their worth of their PS+ sub as well.

Feelsgoodman.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Just the amount of day 1 games I've played in 2021~2022 alone has covered, multiple times even, what I paid for the 3 years I have ongoing right now. I agree with you, with a scenario like that it does feel 'free'. The same applies for people who feel like they've gotten their worth of their PS+ sub as well.

Feelsgoodman.

So true. If you play one little indie on GP a month you've basically already covered the cost of the subscription (even at full price), everything else is essentially "free" after that. If you play like one or two franchises exclusively, than obviously a gaming sub isn't for you.

Last edited:
I still donā€™t get the issue people have with game pass being promoted the way it is by gamers. A brand new $70 game can drop and you can tell a friend ā€œdonā€™t buy it, just check it out on game passā€. We know game pass isnā€™t free, but itā€™s as close as it gets considering people can literally play the entire game for $1 šŸ˜‚. What more needs to be said past that?

Arachnid

Most people on these forums have been using the Gold to GPU conversion, which really makes Game Pass somewhat feel like 'free'.

I guess that may explain your dilemma.
This is it. I've used that conversion twice, and it's only a dollar. That's 6 years of ultimate for 2 dollars.

Sure, 2 dollars isn't really free, but it may as well be.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This is it. I've used that conversion twice, and it's only a dollar. That's 6 years of ultimate for 2 dollars.

Sure, 2 dollars isn't really free, but it may as well be.

But that 2 dollars doesn't cover the price of Xbox Live Gold so it isn't really just $2, right?

I still donā€™t get the issue people have with game pass being promoted the way it is by gamers. A brand new $70 game can drop and you can tell a friend ā€œdonā€™t buy it, just check it out on game passā€. We know game pass isnā€™t free, but itā€™s as close as it gets considering people can literally play the entire game for $1 šŸ˜‚. What more needs to be said past that?

Yeah, but most "brand new $70" games are not on Game Pass. You tell your friend that and they go on Game Pass expecting to see Midnight Suns and they are going to be disappointed.

I'm not trying to downplay Game Pass here. Folks saying they are getting Vampire Survivors for "free" implies "included with the service" and that is fine. But going too far and embellishing what the service actually is doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.

Last edited:
I just got a Series X today and was planning on getting non-ultimate gamepass. I browsed the game list and there were literally five games at the most which interested me šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø I thought most games were on there.

Topher

Gold Member
I just got a Series X today and was planning on getting non-ultimate gamepass. I browsed the game list and there were literally five games at the most which interested me šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø I thought most games were on there.

The vast majority of Xbox first party games are there. Most third party games are not.

Top Bottom