• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] April 2023 is the beginning of the end for Xbox as we know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

Now that I’ve seen more Redfall videos. This game should’ve been delayed. Like another year or two. This will just be another rushed game launch with an upcoming apology from the dev promising to update the game so it reach everyone’s expectations. Why are the release dates written in stone before they know they’ll be able to finish a game?

And delay Starfield too. It’s been in development for 10+ years, another 2 years or whatever won’t matter, just some more gray hair on my head.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Now that I’ve seen more Redfall videos. This game should’ve been delayed. Like another year or two. This will just be another rushed game launch with an upcoming apology from the dev promising to update the game so it reach everyone’s expectations. Why are the release dates written in stone before they know they’ll be able to finish a game?

And delay Starfield too. It’s been in development for 10+ years, another 2 years or whatever won’t matter, just some more gray hair on my head.
This would have been delayed, but think about what happened in the last E3.

Microsoft said the games they are showing would release in the next 12 months. Forza and Starfield have already been delayed outside the 12-month window. Redfall is the only one left of the 3 games they showed.

Had they also delayed Redfall, there would be 0/3 games releasing in the 12-month window.

It just comes back to their marketing and how they chose to present their E3 show in 2022. That's why they are forcing out Redfall in like 30 days before the 12-month period is over.

Last edited:
That’s not possible at this point. They really need a major AAA exclusive. At most it will get delayed to november.

Fredrik

This would have been delayed, but think about what happened in the last E3.

Microsoft said the games they are showing would release in the next 12 months. Forza and Starfield have already been delayed outside the 12-month window. Redfall is the only one left of the 3 games they showed.

Had they also delayed Redfall, there would be 0/3 games releasing in the 12-month window.

It just comes back to their marketing and how they chose to present their E3 show in 2022. That's why they are forcing out Redfall in like 30 days before the 12-month period is over.
Why are they forced? The marketing department shouldn’t control the games output. And what would’ve actually happened if they had delayed it further? I can’t see any consequences as big as a bad launch and mocking on social media.
And low review scores aren’t updated. Even if they would turn it into the best game of all time after a year of patches it would’ve still said 63 or whatever on Metacritic.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Why are they forced? The marketing department shouldn’t control the games output. And what would’ve actually happened if they had delayed it further? I can’t see any consequences as big as a bad launch and mocking on social media.
And low review scores aren’t updated. Even if they would turn it into the best game of all time after a year of patches it would’ve still said 63 or whatever on Metacritic.
I agree with all that. I'm saying that they forced themselves into this position last year with the "12 months" claim.

Fredrik

That’s not possible at this point. They really need a major AAA exclusive. At most it will get delayed to november.
A rushed AAA exclusive in need of patches will do more damage than a delay. We’ll witness that with Redfall shortly so try to imagine the same thing happening with Starfield.

Ozriel

M$FT

Your call for a Starfield delay…what’s the basis?

Ozriel

M$FT
And unlike Playstation, who is making enough money to actually have a say at the table in Sony board meetings, Xbox does not have that kind of influence.

Whatyearisthis.jpg

Not only does Spencer have a seat at the executive table these days, Gaming is obviously a key focus area for MS and some of their largest acquisition plans - both successful and unsuccessful - have been tied to gaming.

Ozriel

M$FT
The talk about it coming in hot. And assumed 30fps on console in a game with first person shooting.

Unverified talk with no confirmation from insiders with a credible track history?
we also have no idea if it’s going to have a performance mode or not.

Fredrik

Unverified talk with no confirmation from insiders with a credible track history?
we also have no idea if it’s going to have a performance mode or not.
Smoke usually mean there is a fire. Are there any examples at all where the opposite has happened - pre-launch talk about a game being rushed and then a perfect launch?

Ozriel

M$FT
Smoke usually mean there is a fire. Are there any examples at all where the opposite has happened - pre-launch talk about a game being rushed and then a perfect launch?

You usually cite this when there’s recent, credible pre-launch talk.
Not ‘feelings’ in a gaming forum.

And if you want an example, here’s one:

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/hogwarts-legacy-could-be-in-trouble-and-delayed-until-2023

We all know how it launched…

Things may or may not have improved since then. But it was a hot mess at one point, at least.

Well yes. It got delayed for that reason. One also expects
This doesn’t really have any bearing on this conversation about the game needing another delay from September 2023.

Xbox has dedicated fanbase.

As proven by the replies to this topic! They are drawn like moths to a flame.

I think the OP has some good points. I mean, for many people, the console is just a dedicated PC playing game pass games. Imagine a future with a game pass app running on PlayStation or Apple hardware.

I have been mystified by Xbox’s existence since the beginning. I guess it fit Microsoft’s MO of just throwing money at a market until they win. That didn’t pan out, but they keep trying. I’m happy they have stuck around as competition. I suspect the PS3, and even the PS4, wouldn’t have been so vastly improved if not for Xbox.

DragonNCM

Man.......Starfield is nowhere near & ready for launch.......they better give it another 2 years development......I'm with you on this.

DragonNCM

I can understand PC issue's because you have millions combination of hardware but closed system like consoles is straight making clowns of us :)
Only thing they matter is our money & shareholder pockets.

happy-joker-clown-p4gj5zzxxnhf4r42.gif

Ozriel

M$FT
Is Hogwarts your example of a perfect launch after concern pre-launch?
I went for a refund on Xbox, it had serious fps stutter.

Who said anything about ‘perfect’? 😂

Nobody seriously expects Starfield to launch bug free. But there’s a massive difference between ‘not perfect’ and ‘Cyberpunk 2077’

Fredrik

Who said anything about ‘perfect’? 😂

Nobody seriously expects Starfield to launch bug free. But there’s a massive difference between ‘not perfect’ and ‘Cyberpunk 2077’
I don’t think it’ll be Cyberpunk console bad, but a game said to be important for the Xbox platform on how the market view MS 1st party games going forward needs to be very very good, otherwise it’ll just do more damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom