• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: I hate this trend of having famous actor faces on games.

Nautilus

Banned
While this has happened before, and it makes sense on titles like FIFA or any sports titles, since the main appeal of these games is to play as your favorite athlete, ever since Death Stranding this trend is beginning to become more and more common, to the point that it's not uncommon to see holywood actor faces on games instead of original faces(Death Stranding, Callisto Protocol, just to name a few). And I hate that. Let me list the reasons why below.

1) Give that sense of "Been there, done that": When you have a new IP released, almost always that new IPs comes with original, new characters. Its one of the exciting things about new games: A completely new experience, going blind before playing it, its refreshing to see who's who, and their relationship grow along the journey. So imagine going into a new game, you are in a pivotal moment, when you are unmasking the true villain of the game, and it turns out it's... Will Smith.

Obviosly not the real Will Smith, but associating the villain with a real person that has already played a bazillion characters you like, that you saw him play into a bazillion different roles, know every immaginable facial expression that he can make, and then here he comes again, being the unnammed villain in just another media, in just another product that the industry spat out to make money. It just takes the wind out of my excitement on learning about/finding out new characters, or at the very least of that character, because my brain can't fully separate that actor from his past works , and any feeling I might have towardds him, and it just sucks. It's just not the same as it having a brand new face, that's uniquely his, to that specific villain. Its just a lame marketing attempt at having someone famous attached to the game, in a (probably successful) attempt at selling more copies. I know this is a business, and this is supossedly a proven method at selling stuff, but still. I want to play as The Hero, not as Bruce Willis.

2) Increases the cost of the development of the game: I'm no connoisseur in how expensive is to hire/buy/lend(?) a famous actor face to put into your game, but considering they are super famous, they must not be cheap, and the cost is probably in the millions. I mean, you could just create a completely original face that costs only the time the designers take to make it, but no, you HAVE to spend what an indie dev uses to make a game on a single face. Again, I get it, marketing reasons and all, but I feel like this is such a waste of money. Especially considering that what sells a game is its story and gameplay, not the characters per say, and that the most famous videogame characters have unique faces that are their own, so these types of decisions boogles my mind a bit. It also have an additional problem, which is...

3) Future licencing issues for re-releases: If someday the dev wants to port/remaster/remake the game, and said actor(whose face is proeminent in the game) either refuses, or asks for too much money, you're fucked. Simple as that. While original faces don't have this problem. Considering how games are selling over a bigger period of time, it's just a short sighted decision.

So yeah, I hate when they put a face of someone from the real world in the games(Especially because of reason number 1), unless its ULTRA specific, and would make too much sense to not put it in. But what fdo you guys think?

Kurotri

I personally don't really care much, even find it cool sometimes. My gripe is when they bother to cast an actor and barely do anything with him. Like Giancarlo in Far Cry 6. Dude has like 3 cutscenes. Recently something similar happened with Hogwarts Legacy but I'm not sure if naming the character is a spoiler or not. However you raise some very good points and ultimately it wouldn't bother me if companies just stopped with this in general.

ssringo

I kinda agree. There's a blurry line where a person is too famous (or specifically famous) and I can't see them as the character and just see the person.

That's Norman Reedus in Death Stranding. Not Sam Porter.

That's Keanu Reeves in Cyberpunk. Not Johnny Silverhand.

However, that's Ashley the president's daughter in RE4R. Not Ella Freya the Instagram model I never heard of until a few weeks ago.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If they're using an actor for the voice why not use the actor for mocap and textures? The character is the character. It's just portrayed by an actor.

I'm ok with having more mainstream actors play these video game characters and I'm ok with their likenesses being used in games. They have to look like something. Why not look like the person playing the part?

AmuroChan

I personally don't really care much, even find it cool sometimes. My gripe is when they bother to cast an actor and barely do anything with him. Like Giancarlo in Far Cry 6. Dude has like 3 cutscenes. Recently something similar happened with Hogwarts Legacy but I'm not sure if naming the character is a spoiler or not. However you raise some very good points and ultimately it wouldn't bother me if companies just stopped with this in general.

3 cutscenes is probably all they can afford to pay him for.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
For me the problem is that it is not just a face problem but the fact that motion capture is becoming so prevalent that you need good actors to do the job instead of the approximations that we had before.
Actors like Norman Reedus and Christopher Judge help to make the games they are in better. I do not have the actor taking the place of the character in my mind because most hollywood actors voices are dubbed in my country. So I do not heard Tealc or Daryl Dixon but the characters they play. Kojima does abuse of it ( Did he really needed Sutherland for Snake ?) but in Death Stranding it makes the characters interesting in my opinion.

Not me. I like it and hope it never stops. Im tired of hearing voice actors like Troy Baker in every AAA adventure game. The game industry seems to recycle a very small pool of voice actors. Christopher Judge is from Hollywood and has given new life to Kratos in Gow. Insomiac was able to get Candy man as Venom is Spiderman 2. THAT is what I'd like to see more of.

The facial capture animation doesnt bother me as long as the acting isnt flat like Johhny Silverhand in CP2077. If they're just using the face to market the game, then yeah, I rather devs use new talents.

nkarafo

Everyone says "games are expensive to make" yet they spend who knows how much to sign those celebrities who add absolutely nothing more than any no-name actor. It's not like "acting" is a thing in games, 3D models and animation is still not at that level. And even if it was, who cares? Videogames don't need to be like movies.

d0oi6e7.png

Ar¢tos

I don't really care about any actor, so it's indiferent to me if their faces are in games or not. I care about gameplay and story.

Fbh

It's not a dealbreaker or anything but yeah I do find it slightly distracting when they put celebrity faces in games

Valonquar

It's worse when it's so superficially added. Amanda Basset in Horizon: Forbidden West was so ridiculously underutilized it wasn't funny. Her acting was good in it, as was her voice acting.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I'll use Devil May Cry 5 as an example:

Good:
- Dante
- Nico
- Lady

Bad:
- Vergil
- V
- Trish
- Nero

Better:
All characters in all previous DMC games that had custom made character models.

TexMex

I don’t disagree but I don’t think it even approaches frequently enough to be considered a “trend.” I’d struggle to even name 5-10 games. This doesn’t apply to 98.9% of games.

RaduN

Nah, no issue whatsoever, especially when done right and actually assimilate the actor's strengths into the character and story (Death Stranding).
Not for a second was i looking at anyone other than Sam or Cliff, and that's what a good actor and a good director should achieve: immersion.

lyan

I agree with 2 & 3 and while I can see your point for 1) I don't think it applies to Yakuza / Judgement although I don't know the reason.

decisions

I don’t like it either because it essentially prevents artists from being able to design character’s faces.

I hated Dante’s look in DMC5 for instance. It’s like his model’s eyes are set too far back in his head for the hair the artist drew, so there are always shadows cast over them which looked weird to me.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I've always preferred unknown actors in movies as well.. I have never understood the crave for "celebrities".

Gambit2483

Japanese absolutely loves this in their Yakuza/Like a Dragon games. Apparently it's an expected feature (with those games at least)

Top Bottom