• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Is The Last of Us Remake Worth $70? (IGN.com)

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?

• Total voters
LOL, but people in the other thread tell me everyone is happily paying 70 bucks for it
Neogaf doesnt represent the majority of gaming. The physical deluxe editions sold out out in minutes when the pre-orders were listed. Id say thats a better represention of what people are willing to pay for it.

Elbereth

Considering that this is a remake with the pedigree that Naughty Dog is known for… Indeed worth the price of admission.

It also puts to shame most last and current gen games from a purely technical and production standpoint.

Dane

No, the industry standard is to price them at 2/3 of a full priced one, unless it's an entirely new game top down like it was Resident Evil 2002 and beyond, this game by and large its a remaster as it uses the entire structure of the original game.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I don’t think that works with something like FF7R. I guess it depends on the amount of work that they put into it.

Frustrated Body GIF

Shmunter

At first i said no, but seeing Tess in that gif shared by ND i can say yes, 100%.

They did a lot of work to make the game better, it's not just higher res and higher FPS.
It’s more than a Shadow of Colossus or Demons Soul. Those games did the gfx while maintaining the core.

TLOUS remake goes the furthest with changes to gameplay with how characters control, the enemy ai. Expecting map changes and different encounters too.

Last edited:

I honestly think you were getting remakes confused with remasters. But I agree you can either have remakes that have a ton of work put into them or they can be half assed efforts.

I know FF7 Remake is an extreme example but it shows you how far remakes can go.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

So I was on the fence until I seen a bit, and read what changes they made. I haven't played through for a few years so I might do this. I kind of want to.

This is top 5 of all time for me and the graphics, AI, and better controls would really make this stand out (again).

Edit I rarely double dip but thus might be the exception.

Last edited:

Warnen

I honestly think you were getting remakes confused with remasters. But I agree you can either have remakes that have a ton of work put into them or they can be half assed efforts.

I know FF7 Remake is an extreme example but it shows you how far remakes can go.

Confused Little Girl GIF

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Neogaf doesnt represent the majority of gaming. The physical deluxe editions sold out out in minutes when the pre-orders were listed. Id say thats a better represention of what people are willing to pay for it.
Haha, this is the exact response I got from that thread.

Please, tell me one major game that wasn't sold out for it's collector edition. It's simply due to a very limited amount, it has nothing to do with general game sales number. Check Biomutant for example, that even that game sold out it's collector edition.

Warnen

What are you worried about? Just trying to have a discussion with you. You said something and I didn’t completely agree with it.

This isn’t because it’s a Sony thing right?

Just trying to figure out why your being weird with this.
Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek

how about you respond to one of the other 240ish people that voted no.

Pop Tv Reaction GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

how about you respond to one of the other 240ish people that voted no.

That was for a The Last of Us 2 remake not remakes in general.

Nope remakes should be budget friendly.

Which supports what I was saying. That the price of a remake should be determined by the amount of work that’s put into it.

Saying that all remakes should be cheap is being unfair to those that put a lot into them.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I think the answer is not so black and white.

Do I personally want to pay $70 considering I've already bought the game twice and I've already had the initial experience? Is it worth it to me? Probably not.

Is it worth $70 to someone who has yet to experience it for the first time? Yes.

Does the price warrant the work that has been put into the remake? Maybe.

I'm still buying it at full price (again) because I love the game and the remake looks impressive, I still think it will be a great play. Considering I've completed the game 3 times, once on PS3 and twice on PS4.

But I fully understand this sucks for most of us.

People have to remember this is marketed for new players, people that are yet to experience it and they are hoping to adopt new players through the TV show.

Haha, this is the exact response I got from that thread.

Please, tell me one major game that wasn't sold out for it's collector edition. It's simply due to a very limited amount, it has nothing to do with general game sales number. Check Biomutant for example, that even that game sold out it's collector edition.
Ok, but that still doesnt discredit the notion that people arent willing to pay 70 for a remake. One game is furry animals with kung fu fighting, another one is regarded as one of the best single player experiences of all time.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
It’s more than a Shadow of Colossus or Demons Soul. Those games did the gfx while maintaining the core.

TLOUS remake goes the furthest with changes to gameplay with how characters control, the enemy ai. Expecting map changes and different encounters too.
Not sure how much of that is gonna be noticeable, unless they go full TLOU 2, which I doubt they will. I expect the movement to be less stiff, and the A.I. to be better, but barely noticeable unless you played the first right before this to compare.

At first i said no, but seeing Tess in that gif shared by ND i can say yes, 100%.

They did a lot of work to make the game better, it's not just higher res and higher FPS.
I agree this is an impressive reimagining/remake that IMO warrants a full price tag, but I just think Sony are overpricing all their first party games this generation.

Kamina

Golden Boy
No. I am not paying 80€ for a game which i already own and played on PS4.
It certainly seems to be an impressive remake, but it isnt an entirely new game, so for me the full price isn’t warranted.
Once it is available for half the price i will probably get it though.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

No TLOU was a one off to me and this is largely or completely the same experience. It will be prettier but thats not going to cut it for me, besides, TLOU Remaster looks pretty good still.

MayauMiao

I'll buy it when its extremely cheap on Steam like $10, even if that means years from now.

$70 is simply not worth it for some model and textures update, and I doubt the remake will give the same wow factor like the original.

Even if there is some new extra story content, I'll just watch it on Youtube Let's Play.

No, but then I’ve played it before so I’m probably not the best person to ask. They will charge £70 in the UK for it too and for a game that many will play just the once and not revisit it, no again, it’s too much money in this economic climate for a game.

Three

I don't understand the logic of people questioning 70 fucking bucks for an AAA video game "because of the economy". Or people used to paying 60 and now complaining about the 10 dollar increase? What the fuck do you do with 10 bucks these days? Buy bubble gum? It's fucking ridiculous. If paying 70 bucks for something you like hits your economy in a significant manner, how did you even afford a PS5 in the first place?

It's not like you're saving 2000 dollars on a car deal or something like that.
To not complain about prices is to not be human. I agree that people complaining about regular AAA game prices are just complaining for the sake of it but I personally wouldn't buy TLOU Remake at that price only because I've already played it twice and don't see paying 70 to play it again as worthwhile.

Ceadeus

Absolutely not worth it.

The pS4 remaster was enough. You have to be bored as he'll to buy this game again. Then crazy to buy it at this price.

Godot25

Banned
Since gameplay of TLOU was nothing to write poems about I honestly don't thing this game warrant replay at all. And for sure I won't be paying price of new AAA game for remake.

I will wait until remake drops into PS Plus Extra and I will play it there. Maybe.

Not like there is a chance that I will have entire story spoiled, right :messenger_grinning:

But of course, everybody is different and I guess many people will be jacked up to play same linear game with same story (just prettier). So do what you want with your money.

B D Joe

No,no and also no.

I paid 42 quid for Elden Ring and to me not only is that is an infinitely better game than TLOU, but also shows how over priced some modern games are.

70 pounds for a PS3 game with fancier graphics, GTFO sony/naughty dog!

Honestly stop supporting this nonsense and they will have to lower the prices. The only reason they are getting away with this, is because stupid people are willing to pay these rip off prices.

Majormaxxx

This is the same core game, the same journey, the same voices, the same story, and encounters. Sure they pasted the AI, PS5 enhancements and combat from 2. And they redid the art and models. But it is a polished old game. And it is the 3rd reissue of something that was discounted the last time they did this. Bah humbug.

Roberts

Hey, I have bought The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on various home video formats at least 5 times now so I would never scoff at people paying 70 bucks for a remaster/remake. Go for it!

Personally, I would never do it myself, because I think the game is merely ok, but I'm clearly in minority.

Top Bottom