• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Is The Last of Us Remake Worth $70? (IGN.com)

Is TLOU1 Remake Worth $70 to You?

• Total voters

chasimus

Buy the PS4 Remaster instead. It's a very good remaster and has Factions, one of the best multiplayer games ever made

That is £70.00 here in the UK and, no, it is not worth it for a second version (remake rather than remaster admittedly) of a an almost-decade old re-release of a game no-one was asking for. In my opinion, obviously.

This should be £45 at most and ideally £30. £70 is just outright greedy in my view.

Last edited:
I don't know how or why but the subtitle "In this economy?" made me laugh out loud.

It's worth it for many people. For the ones that it isn't they will wait for the price to go down to buy them.

Maybe we should be asking if Switch games from 2017 are still worth 50 dollars...
🔥 I can't feed myself, buy I want to buy a game if it's 50$ instead of 70$ 🔥

I don't think that the economy should be part of the arguments.

I honestly am on the fence, I find 70$ for games is a lot of money... In Canada, where I live we end up spending about 100$ once the taxes are added to the price.

This is a lot, even for a very good game.... And we can get "older" Sony games from the ps4 gen for less with the discounts, even the ps5 versions.

So it's kinda hard to swallow.

Last edited:

Three

Gold Member
Some games arguably are. Smash Bros. Ultimate, Skyrim, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Halo MCC. But not one that’s a remake of a re-release minus the MP. The sequel had more work put in, and was $60.

Feels like they’re charging us for their training on PS5 hardware.

No way are skyrim and Halo MCC worth $70. What sort of craziness is that. MCC was a remake of rereleases too aswell. And the only reason the Nintendo games are worth that to me is because they retain their value relatively well.

Data Ghost

I have played the first game enough, but at a low enough price I might have taken a look. £70 is just taking the p though...unless you have never played the original of course.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
She parrots what the company has said: it’s for new fans. She’s not even in a position to speak ill of one of the top developers. It’s pointless to hear what she has to say.

Sony/ND hasn't said that and they would never say that. It wouldn't make sense for them to brand the remake as just for those who never played the game. And she made it clear that if she had negative opinions about the remake, she simply wouldn't say anything; that is a fair take for someone who is in a potential conflict of interest position.

The fact that we’ve now played two iterations of The Last of Us already in the last 9 years (original and Remaster), coupled with it NOT including Factions is MIND BOGGLING.

Not only is it unnecessary, but it literally can’t be considered a definitive package since it’s omitting a really key piece.

This game is being made to financially support the studio while they work on some other 5+ year project and because the HBO show is releasing early next year.

But fuck, I’m buying it.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
She parrots what the company has said: it’s for new fans. She’s not even in a position to speak ill of one of the top developers. It’s pointless to hear what she has to say.

What more could she say? The video is about whether or not the remake is necessary. The actual price of the game is a totally different discussion.

If anyone looks at this objectively, then they should realize that this is for the small hardcore audience and new players.

If they want to attract a new HBO audience and PC gamers, then this in fact a smart move. They have a better chance to attract them with a remake than a PS3 port of The Last of Us.

Topher

Gold Member
The "RIGHT" thing to do. I think if you're contextualizing your gaming in terms of morality, you've made it your religion. No wonder people go crusading for their companies (Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft).

I tend to agree. And that works both ways. Plenty of folks are suggesting buying this game is the "wrong" thing to do. That's a weird take either way, imo. Buying this game is simply a financial decision and a personal choice. No one is going to hell over this. But.....it is TLOU and that means an abundance of hyperbole.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

I don’t know what Sony said, but I think what she said made sense.

For everyone that doesn’t want to drop $70 on an experience they’ve already had - the obvious decision is to wait for a price drop. Sony and Square are leading the push for $70 games, so the price point should be no surprise. This is what Sony wants you to pay for their big releases no matter what it is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The "RIGHT" thing to do. I think if you're contextualizing your gaming in terms of morality, you've made it your religion. No wonder people go crusading for their companies (Sony vs Nintendo vs Microsoft).
I tend to agree. And that works both ways. Plenty of folks are suggesting buying this game is the "wrong" thing to do. That's a weird take either way, imo. Buying this game is simply a financial decision and a personal choice. No one is going to hell over this. But.....it is TLOU and that means an abundance of hyperbole.

Cringe Reaction GIF

taizuke

Tess is more pretty in the Original...

The one from the remake looks like a witch from Snow White

While I still prefer the original cutscenes I do welcome being able to see the actors performances in better detail. With Tess specifically there is much acting with her face alone that we couldn't see before.

With Joel though... Maybe it's the YouTube compression but I couldn't notice a significant improvement on his performance. Does it look better? Yes. Is the performance better? Give or take.

Top Bottom