• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] It's the beginning of the end for PlayStation as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over a year ago I made a thread about Sony's new business pillars. At the time people largely still felt that Jim Ryan was failing at his duties, but a year later I think things are quickly becoming quite clear.

Sony vs The World
Sony Group has a market cap of 115 billion dollars. That's quite small compared to some of their competitors. Their competitors are Microsoft (2.27T), Apple (2.67T), Google (1.34T), Amazon (1.06T), Nvidia (696B), Tencent (410B), and even Netflix (141B). And Sony is largely split between Video Games, Movies, Music, Electronics, and even Finances (I can see them selling off their financial subsidiary to fund expansion elsewhere). And that isn't to say that any of their much larger competitors are all in on video games (they aren't)

Console Gaming is a crumb of the overall cookie
Now, the worldwide video game market is currently worth 300 billion a year and growing. The home console market is still growing but is only worth 20 billion dollars per year. It's a fraction of the whole. You look at Activision Blizzard King or Electronic Arts, and these companies have a market cap of 59 billion (propped up by the Microsoft deal most likely) and 34 billion dollars respectively. These companies are this big because they are multiplatform publishers. Epic is worth 32 billion. T2 is worth 20 billion.

For Sony to stay relevant in the video game market, they're going to have to quickly expand to other platforms. They're first dipping their toes in the PC market, but they'll quickly follow suit with mobile. What matters to most of us is their focus on consoles is going to diminish as a percentage of their overall business, which isn't to say they won't continue to make great games and consoles, but what PlayStation means today is not what PlayStation is going to mean in 10 years. Microsoft buying ABK would have damaged Sony's business, but Microsoft shifting their focus to T2 would do as much damage if not more.

Future Thinking vs Past

I think Sony is acutely aware of their advantages and disadvantages as it relates to their competitors. They were largely able to bully Nintendo and Sega out of the traditional console market and while they have significant control in this generation, they haven't been as easily able to bully Microsoft out due to their war chest. Their traditional business which was electronics has seen them diminish greatly against Apple and Samsung (330B). They missed the boat on Laptops, Mp3 players, tablets, and cell phones.

I mentioned in the pillars thread that they were expanding their business elements, this is in order to make them more cash-rich in order to fund their serious expansions into PC and Mobile. They've struggled to make margins as a console manufacturer, especially after the PS3. They'll leverage their console and their IP which are their current advantages over all their competitors, but I don't think they can play small ball forever. Apple couldn't have gained the market share it did for the iPhone without the iPod. They couldn't have gained the market share they have with Apple Music without the iPhone. Apple continues to leverage its products and services in order to increase its market share in several industries.

I think they're going to have to make major investments to continue to outpace larger competitors and they'll have to do it while they still can. This means buying on a larger scale T2 or Epic and on a smaller scale Square Enix and/or From Software/Kadokawa. I can't envision a Sony strategy that doesn't include T2, especially after their purchase of Zynga.

Eventually, the Microsofts, Apples, Googles, Amazons, and Tencents will buy up most of the console publishers/developers if Sony rests on its laurels. Organic and small investment growth will only take them so far.

USqk57m.jpg

Interfectum

While I understand your concerns about Sony's market position and the need for them to expand into other platforms, I disagree with the notion that their focus on consoles will diminish and that they cannot continue to compete effectively in the video game market.

Firstly, it is important to recognize that Sony has a strong, loyal customer base in the console gaming market. They have a solid track record of producing high-quality consoles and games, and their PlayStation brand is synonymous with gaming excellence. Sony has a competitive edge in terms of their exclusive IPs and partnerships with developers. These factors contribute to their continued relevance in the console gaming market.

Secondly, while the home console market may be worth only $20 billion, it is a growing market, and it is still a significant portion of the overall video game market. It is unlikely that Sony would abandon such a profitable segment. Instead, they may choose to diversify their business and enter new markets without abandoning their core console gaming focus.

Moreover, Sony's recent foray into the PC market and potential expansion into mobile gaming do not necessarily indicate a shift away from console gaming. Rather, they are likely exploring additional revenue streams and tapping into new markets, which can help support and bolster their console gaming business.

Furthermore, while it is true that Sony's market cap is smaller than that of some of their competitors, it is important to remember that not all of these companies are fully focused on the video game industry. In fact, many have diversified businesses, and their market caps are reflective of their overall operations, not just their gaming divisions. Thus, it is not entirely accurate to compare Sony's market cap directly with these other companies when discussing the video game industry.

Lastly, while it is possible that Sony will need to make major investments to keep pace with larger competitors, it is also essential to recognize the value of organic growth and strategic partnerships. Acquiring big companies like T2 or Epic might bring short-term gains, but it might also lead to integration challenges, potential antitrust scrutiny, and other issues. Focusing on developing strong relationships with smaller developers and publishers could prove to be a more sustainable growth strategy in the long run.

In conclusion, while it is crucial for Sony to adapt to the changing landscape of the video game industry, I believe they will continue to maintain their focus on console gaming and can successfully compete against their larger rivals. It is essential for them to explore new markets and diversify their business, but this should not come at the expense of their core console gaming operations.

While I understand your concerns about Sony's market position and the need for them to expand into other platforms, I disagree with the notion that their focus on consoles will diminish and that they cannot continue to compete effectively in the video game market.

Firstly, it is important to recognize that Sony has a strong, loyal customer base in the console gaming market. They have a solid track record of producing high-quality consoles and games, and their PlayStation brand is synonymous with gaming excellence. Sony has a competitive edge in terms of their exclusive IPs and partnerships with developers. These factors contribute to their continued relevance in the console gaming market.

Secondly, while the home console market may be worth only $20 billion, it is a growing market, and it is still a significant portion of the overall video game market. It is unlikely that Sony would abandon such a profitable segment. Instead, they may choose to diversify their business and enter new markets without abandoning their core console gaming focus.

Moreover, Sony's recent foray into the PC market and potential expansion into mobile gaming do not necessarily indicate a shift away from console gaming. Rather, they are likely exploring additional revenue streams and tapping into new markets, which can help support and bolster their console gaming business.

Furthermore, while it is true that Sony's market cap is smaller than that of some of their competitors, it is important to remember that not all of these companies are fully focused on the video game industry. In fact, many have diversified businesses, and their market caps are reflective of their overall operations, not just their gaming divisions. Thus, it is not entirely accurate to compare Sony's market cap directly with these other companies when discussing the video game industry.

Lastly, while it is possible that Sony will need to make major investments to keep pace with larger competitors, it is also essential to recognize the value of organic growth and strategic partnerships. Acquiring big companies like T2 or Epic might bring short-term gains, but it might also lead to integration challenges, potential antitrust scrutiny, and other issues. Focusing on developing strong relationships with smaller developers and publishers could prove to be a more sustainable growth strategy in the long run.

In conclusion, while it is crucial for Sony to adapt to the changing landscape of the video game industry, I believe they will continue to maintain their focus on console gaming and can successfully compete against their larger rivals. It is essential for them to explore new markets and diversify their business, but this should not come at the expense of their core console gaming operations.
I said diminish as a percentage of their overall business.

As for T2 or Epic. I think you largely leave them as is and integrate where you can.

I don’t think either would be difficult to leverage.

XXL

Uhhh, you posted this wall of text 2 mins after this was posted.

Aenima

The notion that you need a huge market cap to be sucessfull in the videogame business is where your whole vision falls apart. Google entered the videogame business and left short after, despite the "war chest" MS keeps ending in 3rd place every generation. Nintendo with much smaller market cap than everyone mentioned in the OP has been able to, not only survive, but dominate certain markets and regions.

Sony is expanding, without losing any focus on they main console business, some of the aquisitions Sony did are exactly for that purpose, like the aquisition of Nixxes to port games to PC without taking away the focus of the main studios away from the consoles. And what happens when those studios dont have a support studio like Nixxes behind? Well TLOU for PC happens.

Big companies that try purchase anything , they can purchase studios, IPs, but you cant purchase ppl, and talent leave and move to other studios or create new studios all the time. The instant ramen of videogames dont last long and is more likely to fail and be abandoned, than smaller companies that grow they business in a more slow but organic way.

DosGamer

Sony isnt going anywhere anytime soon. Although, I do think the PRO versions of thier consoles is more about greed and capitalizing on their fanbase and its need for new tech.
Sony has too many games that people want to play and the brand is world wide. MS is not really that big outside of the United States in terms of gaming.
I have seen Sony focus more on independent games lately and the development cycle is usually a lot shorter.

If anything the problems games will have in the future is that it will probably take longer to make better games and thus there will be fewer. Of course... I could be completely wrong.

FrankWza

For Sony to stay relevant in the video game market, they're going to have to quickly expand to other platforms. They're first dipping their toes in the PC market, but they'll quickly follow suit with mobile. What matters to most of us is their focus on consoles is going to diminish as a percentage of their overall business, which isn't to say they won't continue to make great games and consoles, but what PlayStation means today is not what PlayStation is going to mean in 10 years.
Dance Hamster GIF by Dedoles

The notion that you need a huge market cap to be sucessfull in the videogame business is where your whole vision falls apart. Google entered the videogame business and left short after, despite the "war chest" MS keeps ending in 3rd place every generation. Nintendo with much smaller market cap than everyone mentioned in the OP has been able to, not only survive, but dominate certain markets and regions.

Sony is expanding, without losing any focus on they main console business, some of the aquisitions Sony did are exactly for that purpose, like the aquisition of Nixxes to port games to PC without taking away the focus of the main studios away from the consoles. And what happens when those studios dont have a support studio like Nixxes behind? Well TLOU for PC happens.

Big companies that try purchase anything , they can purchase studios, IPs, but you cant purchase ppl, and talent leave and move to other studios or create new studios all the time. The instant ramen of videogames dont last long and is more likely to fail and be abandoned, than smaller companies that grow they business in a more slow but organic way.

You're not entirely wrong. My point wasn't that huge market cap means you'll be successful.

That being said, Google is known for cutting and running. That also doesn't mean they're out of the game space. They'll be back. Look at the history of products/services they've canceled. They're still expanding Stadia behind the scenes for enterprise.

Xbox came very close to usurping Sony's position with the 360 and had they not been bonkers with the X1 launch would probably be neck and neck with them now. Any other company would have called it quits after the X1.

Nintendo has the richest history in video gaming, but they were forced to combine their handheld and console market share into one. If you look at their historic combined units when their products were separate, it was considerably higher, especially as a share of the overall market. They got bullied out of the market. Nintendo hasn't expanded their reach at all.

Again, I didn't say they were going to go away from consoles, the Nixxes purchase is exactly to my point that they are EXPANDED outwards.

At the moment Sony is a bit player in PC and non-existent in Mobile. Jim Ryan will tell you that isn't PlayStation's future.

Sony probably needs to be about 250-500 billion to properly compete across PC, Mobile, and Console. They are going to have to expand rapidly to get there.

Interfectum

I said diminish as a percentage of their overall business.

As for T2 or Epic. I think you largely leave them as is and integrate where you can.

I don’t think either would be difficult to leverage.
I understand your point about console gaming's role potentially diminishing as a percentage of Sony's overall business as they diversify. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that their dedication to producing top-notch consoles and games will decline.

Regarding the acquisition of T2 or Epic, it's true that allowing them to operate mostly independently and integrating only where needed could be a viable strategy. Nevertheless, there are potential challenges that come with such acquisitions. For instance, regulatory bodies may subject large acquisitions to increased scrutiny, which could cause delays or even prevent the deal from happening.

Moreover, even if Sony were to leave the acquired companies largely autonomous, integrating company cultures and managing these new subsidiaries might still present difficulties. Acquisitions, particularly those involving large entities, can sometimes disrupt the operation of the acquired companies, impacting their performance and the value that Sony would gain from these acquisitions.

That being said, if Sony can successfully overcome these potential challenges, acquiring T2 or Epic could indeed strengthen their position in the gaming industry and help them branch out into new markets. It's crucial for Sony to carefully weigh the potential risks and rewards of such acquisitions before moving forward.

Overall, while the share of Sony's business that relies on console gaming may decrease as they explore other avenues, this shouldn't be seen as a sign of weakened commitment to their console gaming operations. And while acquiring major companies like T2 or Epic may offer growth opportunities, it's important to recognize and address the possible challenges that could arise during and after such acquisitions.

DrFigs

I mean I don't really see how Microsoft being a bigger company than Sony has anything to do with Playstation's future. I guess it's possible that in the future, there's some reactionary backswing from regulators to be pro big tech. Then that'd be bad for Sony. But as long as MS isn't allowed to buy every third party, then I think we're okay.

Edit: also your comment about Sony needing to expand to other platforms is strange. Sony used to make just PC games (mmorpg's that were actually exclusive to PC) and they make mobile games right now. That's fine. I just don't want them to bring playstation games to other platforms. I think it's counterproductive and damaging to the brand.

Last edited:

The Alien

Banned
While I dont disagree that Sony hasn't stretched themselves technologically (cloud) and game diversity (multiplayer, etc.).... I'm just too sick of what this site is becoming - too many gloom and doom threads.

I understand your point about console gaming's role potentially diminishing as a percentage of Sony's overall business as they diversify. However, this doesn't necessarily mean that their dedication to producing top-notch consoles and games will decline.

Regarding the acquisition of T2 or Epic, it's true that allowing them to operate mostly independently and integrating only where needed could be a viable strategy. Nevertheless, there are potential challenges that come with such acquisitions. For instance, regulatory bodies may subject large acquisitions to increased scrutiny, which could cause delays or even prevent the deal from happening.

Moreover, even if Sony were to leave the acquired companies largely autonomous, integrating company cultures and managing these new subsidiaries might still present difficulties. Acquisitions, particularly those involving large entities, can sometimes disrupt the operation of the acquired companies, impacting their performance and the value that Sony would gain from these acquisitions.

That being said, if Sony can successfully overcome these potential challenges, acquiring T2 or Epic could indeed strengthen their position in the gaming industry and help them branch out into new markets. It's crucial for Sony to carefully weigh the potential risks and rewards of such acquisitions before moving forward.

Overall, while the share of Sony's business that relies on console gaming may decrease as they explore other avenues, this shouldn't be seen as a sign of weakened commitment to their console gaming operations. And while acquiring major companies like T2 or Epic may offer growth opportunities, it's important to recognize and address the possible challenges that could arise during and after such acquisitions.

Can you quote where I said it means they won't dedicate to producing top notch consoles and games? I specifically said the opposite.

I don't think either T2 or Epic are big enough to warrant much regulatory objection. Less than half the size of Activision and without as much consideration of Microsoft owning Azure and Windows. Epic might be a bigger concern than T2 given Unreal, but Sony can probably get away with contracts maintaining pricing for UE for a period.

While I dont disagree that Sony hasn't stretched themselves technologically (cloud) and game diversity (multiplayer, etc.).... I'm just too sick of what this site is becoming - too many gloom and doom threads.

This wasn't a gloom and doom thread.

Change doesn't constitute a negative, despite what people may think.

CMA and FTC:
blocked.gif

On a serious note, i would prefer platform holders stick to smaller acquisitions and keep their grubby hands of big publishers.

There is this idea that the CMA and FTC will block EVERYTHING. That's just not the case.

They blocked or sought to block the largest purchase in gaming history at 70 billion dollars by a company worth 2 trillion dollars with their hands in the biggest cloud infrastructure on the planet and the largest OS on the planet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom