• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Opinion] Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Remains the Best Showcase of the PlayStation 5's Power

sendit

Horrible opinion. Horizon Forbidden West is the best looking PS5 game, regardless if its cross-gen. Not even taking Burning Shores in to account. Spider Man 2 may unseat it.

SABRE220

Horrible opinion. Horizon Forbidden West is the best looking PS5 game, regardless if its cross-gen. Not even taking Burning Shores in to account. Spider Man 2 may unseat it.
Horrible opinion are you joking lol, you could argue your opinion that you prefer the visuals of forbidden west but to claim that the mere thought of ratchet a legit technical masterclass being on the same level as horizon is crazy....that is just fanboyish drivel.

The ssd shit is insane and way better than whatever horizon did with the horus boss fight. The problem is that it doesn’t maintain the quality of its linear levels in the open world levels where horizon outclasses it.

A last Gen granted outclassing a next Gen only game shouldn’t happen so You kinda wonder if it’sa next Gen showcase art all beyond the ssd stuff.

There are only 2 big open areas in the entire game tho so to use that as a measuring stick against FW is a little disingenuous imo.

I think every ps5 game released by sony so far look pretty incredible. With the exceptions being god of war ragnarok, and returnal. Both still look great, but not quite as great as horizon, demons souls, or ratchet

Such a damn shame that Ragnarok "had" to be a cross gen title! That was the game that shouldve blown everyone away. I'll never forgive Sony for that...now we have to wait how many more YEARS for a true next gem GoW?

Oh and Santa Monica studios decision to have companions spoil every puzzle and segment of exploration by telling us what to do ..both destroyed the potential for this game to live up to the hype

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
There are only 2 big open areas in the entire game tho so to use that as a measuring stick against FW is a little disingenuous imo.
I mean we are comparing a linear cartoony pixar looking game to an open world game targeting photorealistic visuals. The comparison is already unfair.

Mr Hyde

Rift Apart was an incredible graphical showcase, my jaw was floored pretty much the entire time, but I think Demon's Souls remake is still the best next gen showcase so far. I had so much fun revisiting this game, and it made use of all the new features, Dualsense support, stellar graphics and snappy load times, to an excellent degree. It was a completely different experience gameplay wise than the OG Demon's Souls, yet it felt true to From Software's original vision. Bluepoint nailed that remake to the ground.

Last edited:

skit_data

Tried it for a couple of minutes now that it’s on PS+. Went with the Performance RT mode of course and it’s very impressive.
I didn’t do a A to B comparison with the other modes but to me the res difference is neglible. Somewhere between 1080p and 1440p my sense for resolution is lost,
If Insomniac manages to keep these options through the whole gen I’m gonna be one happy fellow. I guess we’ll see when Spider-Man 2 releases.

Last edited:

SABRE220

I mean we are comparing a linear cartoony pixar looking game to an open world game targeting photorealistic visuals. The comparison is already unfair.
Ratchet and Clank is no corridor shooter, it's not open world but it has very large impressive areas. Calling it cartoony as a beating stick is a weak argument it excels using its artstyle to the point at times it looks like a legit Pixar movie and no other game has come close to chasing the same art style, it runs ar native 4k with impeccable iq, and its reconstruction tech is the best in sonys arsenal in 60fps mode with impressive rt and damn near perfect lod consistency with the best streaming tech so far, there is serious downplay in terms of its accomplishments just based on its genre and art style.

Horizon itself uses an overly saturated art style that pops and does not need to worry as much in terms of accurate lighting and gi system due to this and yet it struggles with popin, streaming issues and several visual oddities and a foliage cutback in burning shores courtesy of its ps4 roots.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Tried it for a couple of minutes now that it’s on PS+. Went with the Performance RT mode of course and it’s very impressive.
I didn’t do a A to B comparison with the other modes but to me the res difference is neglible. Somewhere between 1080p and 1440p my sense for resolution is lost,
If Insomniac manages to keep these options through the whole gen I’m gonna be one happy fellow. I guess we’ll see when Spider-Man 2 releases.
If you have a vrr tv, id recommend playing in fidelity mode which will bump it up to 40 fps.

There ARE drawbacks like number of NPCs on screen, the skybox detail, and several other concessions that make the game feel next gen. Remove those and the game doesnt feel as next gen.

Paulxo87

quality mode on a 75+ inch set with good hdr and it's the best looking thing period. some portions are almost unbelievable

skit_data

If you have a vrr tv, id recommend playing in fidelity mode which will bump it up to 40 fps.

There ARE drawbacks like number of NPCs on screen, the skybox detail, and several other concessions that make the game feel next gen. Remove those and the game doesnt feel as next gen.
Yeah, I’d easily go for that but since the LG C8 only outputs 120 Hz at 1080p (no VRR) those patches sadly doesn’t work with my setup.
I still really appreciate that most PS Studios actually go through the effort of creating these modes though, Insomniac especially.

Freeman76

Put it on to check out the graphics, 4 hours later i can say its also a decent game. Didnt think i would enjoy it but it has an old school fun vibe to it.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I went from playing through Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster 1-4, and 6 back to back, to playing this. Holy fuck I’m pretty sure I’m going to have a seizure 😂. But seriously, game looks insane on ps5, and to think it was a fairly early ps5 release. I can’t wait to see what the next 4 years turns out on it!

Nowhere in my post did i say that Ratchet amd Clank is crossgen. I said Demon's Souls looks next gen and the rest are cross-gen meaning games such as Horizon Forbidden West and GoW Ragnarok. There is no need to state that Ratchet is PS5 only, that's a well known fact.
sure! but Rachet looks Ps5 gen

sure! but Rachet looks Ps5 gen
I never said it looks bad or not PS5 gen. However, it's a more stylized game, so it's easier to get away with making cartoony graphics look good.

It's the more realistic stuff that's more difficult to make look impressive. Hence why I believe Demon's Souls is more of a powerhouse showcase.

Last edited:
I never said it looks bad or not PS5 gen. However, it's a more stylized game, so it's easier to get away with making cartoony graphics look good.

It's the more realistic stuff that's more difficult to make look impressive. Hence why I believe Demon's Souls is more of a powerhouse showcase.
Indeed Demon souls look good! Sometimes it still looks like a ps4 game....

kevm3

This is one of the few games actually exclusively built for the Playstation 5 vs being some cross gen thing. Great game

Ehh I highly disagree with that.
sometimes it does look like it could be done on a ps4...
aSAdeCl.jpg
i9pKaHm.jpg
X17wNnB.jpg
YLpKfcY.jpg

Clover904

As a new players courtesy of PlayStation Plus, can can say for certainty that this is one of PS5 best showpieces. Sits right alongside Demon Souls and Horizon Burning Shores.

Love this game but HDR sucks ass. It's so washed out. Easy to fix with shadows in photo mode filter turned to 0.
And the biggest flaw is how bad the spirit form looks and you see it most of the time.
yeah , sometimes it looks great , easily one of the best graphics , but I agree that spirit form makes it look like shit

SlimySnake

Ratchet and Clank is no corridor shooter, it's not open world but it has very large impressive areas. Calling it cartoony as a beating stick is a weak argument it excels using its artstyle to the point at times it looks like a legit Pixar movie and no other game has come close to chasing the same art style, it runs ar native 4k with impeccable iq, and its reconstruction tech is the best in sonys arsenal in 60fps mode with impressive rt and damn near perfect lod consistency with the best streaming tech so far, there is serious downplay in terms of its accomplishments just based on its genre and art style.

Horizon itself uses an overly saturated art style that pops and does not need to worry as much in terms of accurate lighting and gi system due to this and yet it struggles with popin, streaming issues and several visual oddities and a foliage cutback in burning shores courtesy of its ps4 roots.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Im not using cartoony as an insult. If anything, im saying the comparison is already not fair in Ratchets favor because photorealistic visuals will always gather more praise over a more cartoonish artstyle even if ratchet boasts a higher level of fidelity.

Banned
This is one of the few games actually exclusively built for the Playstation 5 vs being some cross gen thing. Great game

a leak suggests there was a PS4 version in the making.
also it wouldn't have been an issue if there was one released, it would look the same as it does now.

Banned

hell no. maybe if you play on normal, but on the modes that are actually fun you need that 60fps for the reduced latency and improved visibility during fast moments.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Demon's is a bit of an odd case as I think its actually technically more impressive than it typically looks; the world design being lifted so faithfully from the PS3 original often results in insane detail being expended on scenery and assets that don't really warrant it.

I feel like if you guys want to get the true next gen Ratchet experience you have to play in fidelity mode. After 10 minutes your eyes will have adjusted and you can see the game with settings bumped to the max. 60 fps is compromised graphically compared to 30 just like all games that have
Love this game but HDR sucks ass. It's so washed out. Easy to fix with shadows in photo mode filter turned to 0.
And the biggest flaw is how bad the spirit form looks and you see it most of the time.

HDR seems good to me .. weird ...if you want an example of bad HDR look no further than Hitman 3 or Callisto Protocol.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel like if you guys want to get the true next gen Ratchet experience you have to play in fidelity mode. After 10 minutes your eyes will have adjusted and you can see the game with settings bumped to the max. 60 fps is compromised graphically compared to 30 just like all games that have

HDR seems good to me .. weird ...if you want an example of bad HDR look no further than Hitman 3 or Callisto Protocol.
The black levels are pretty bad in des. Fix with filter or not. Can’t do much about it.
Colours and highlights are insane though

Valonquar

I held out picking Rift Apart up since I just KNEW it would eventually show up as a PS+ freebie. Man alive it was fun. The number of weapons, and custom outfits without being DLC was refreshing. It had a decent length and lots of varied missions and locations. The next to zero loading times was definately noticable. I mean yea there were elevators and spaceship landing sequences to mask some of them, but overall pretty seamless.

mclaren777

I legitimately struggled to play this game when it first came out because the graphics were too good.

I couldn't find/focus on the enemies because the environments were overly lush.

Bartski

Gold Member
Fired it up last weekend via ps+ just to check how good it really looks on my C2... couldn't let it go all the way till the credits.
Just wow. How it holds the framerate 99% of the time with all the stuff happening on screen just makes me think how much we really are held back by last gen...
If you're like me and it's not a game you'd normally buy just go check it out.

Top Bottom