• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: Xbox Game Pass is indeed disruptive, and that's not a bad thing

They have said they expect it at max to be 10-15% of their revenue. That they will always rely on traditional sales more. It will never be their only revenue driver.

If this is a serious take, and I assume it is because it’s a take loads of people have had for years, two questions. How do they sell these “trash budget games” at retail? And secondly, why would anyone subscribe to a service full of “trash budget games”?
Yeah I've never understood this idea that Game pass will be filled with 'trash' games and MS will drop traditional retail but somehow continue to generate decent revenue. Sounds more like wishful thinking over a serious take on MS' future plans.

To say that’s the best part of the service though? Pretty sad state of affairs if anyone gets more enjoyment from talking about Game Pass then they do actually playing the games.
As adamsapple adamsapple said you can do both. You can be excited about new games being added and you can enjoy playing games. Don't know what it is about people thinking you can only do one specific thing and nothing else.

SHA

Once GamePass becomes XB's only revenue driver I expect them to fill it with trash tier budget games, no way they will be able to keep producing triple digit million games to throw them into a subscription service. They truly will become the Netflix of gaming.
Every content get signed with Netflix been ruined.

The best thing about game pass is all of the discussion around game pass.
Well generically playing games could be done without Game pass at all right? Certainly when something like Outriders or MLB hit the service there was lots of excitement and wasn't just because we like 'playing games'. Playing the games is kind of a given.

JackMcGunns

They did? On PS Plus? Resogun comes first to mind.
Also, how is that even relevant to PS Now and EA Play existing before Game Pass?

That's like saying Game Pass copied PS Now for having cloud streaming, lol.

I didn't start the ridiculous claim that Game Pass copied, not to mention WHO CARES! it doesn't take away that a service is better, like claiming that PlayStation copied Sega and Nintendo, then why do you own PlayStation? such a stupid argument. Game Pass offers a GaaS and it did it better than EA Play which only offers EA games that are OLD... Whack!! PSNow started off as a streaming only service which was laggy and pixelated, but even today doesn't offer every game as a download, whereas Game Pass entire library can be downloaded to play lag free and offers day one games for every first party game and even day one 3rd party games like MLB The Show. It's the best deal in gaming today.

nial

Gold Member
I didn't start the ridiculous claim that Game Pass copied, not to mention WHO CARES! it doesn't take away that a service is better, like claiming that PlayStation copied Sega and Nintendo, then why do you own PlayStation? such a stupid argument. Game Pass offers a GaaS and it did it better than EA Play which only offers EA games that are OLD... Whack!! PSNow started off as a streaming only service which was laggy and pixelated, but even today doesn't offer every game as a download, whereas Game Pass entire library can be downloaded to play lag free and offers day one games for every first party game and even day one 3rd party games like MLB The Show. It's the best deal in gaming today.
Are you okay?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well generically playing games could be done without Game pass at all right? Certainly when something like Outriders or MLB hit the service there was lots of excitement and wasn't just because we like 'playing games'. Playing the games is kind of a given.
Try to read.

FrankWza

talk about what's coming to Game pass
That's not what this thread is though. It's another advertising type thread. Remember?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know, but as usual you’re talking about something that’s not relevant to the discussion.

Which discussion, the one about game pass being disruptive and that being a good thing, or the one where you don't like it when people talk about the service ?

You've taken a very strange stance against people just talking about it here Banjo, maybe it's time for a smoothie refill ? :p

Banjo64

cumsessed
Which discussion, the one about game pass being disruptive and that being a good thing, or the one where you don't like it when people talk about the service ?

You've taken a very strange stance against people just talking about it here Banjo, maybe it's time for a smoothie refill ? :p
The one where I talk about the comment you made that I replied to that you then replied to that Mage then replied to that I then replied to then you which replied to and finally I’m now replying to you.

Moral of the story. Game Pass = good, these threads blowing smoke up its arse = booooooring

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Moral of the story. Game Pass = good, these threads blowing smoke up its arse = booooooring

I mean, we get threads about a lot of things. There's 10 threads in the first page I have little interest in, just let 'em be. 🤷‍♂️

I know, but as usual you’re talking about something that’s not relevant to the discussion.
You're right this discussion is about how Game pass is positively disruptive and that's a great thing. I totally agree that Game pass has been good for the consumer and that disruption of traditional retail is positive. I apologize for missing your salient comment on the topic. Good job keeping us on track.

I mean, we get threads about a lot of things. There's 10 threads in the first page I have little interest in, just let 'em be. 🤷‍♂️
Nah much better to jump in with a holier-than-thou attitude and shame people.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah much better to jump in with a holier-than-thou attitude and shame people.
sorry bud, didn’t mean to make you feel shame.

sad arrested development GIF

sad mage noises.

Playstation Extra is good value cheaper than gamepass better exclusives ton of multiplayer games having a blast playing with my mates.

For Playstation I think they got it right putting AAA Exclusives Day One would be dumb.

Last but not least Stray What a game that End.

NickFire

It doesn't seem disruptive yet IMO. I just don't see much impact on sales outside of MS 1st party. Wouldn't it need to kind of shake up the entire market to be considered disruptive?

Anyway, I think they will need to curb sales of non-GP games to really be considered disruptive. Without that, I think it will remain an additive offering.

It doesn't seem disruptive yet IMO. I just don't see much impact on sales outside of MS 1st party. Wouldn't it need to kind of shake up the entire market to be considered disruptive?

Anyway, I think they will need to curb sales of non-GP games to really be considered disruptive. Without that, I think it will remain an additive offering.
xbox identity has become Game Pass.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
And three years in a row too, while Sony charged their own gamers full price. Their baseball games have been going on for ages, even going back to any loyal Sony baseball gamer playing ESPN Baseball Tonight or MLB Pennant Race before changing to the Show. And they wont even give one year as a PS+ Extra/Premium download as a thank you to gamers while their competitor's version is available to buy and sub plan.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And three years in a row too, while Sony charged their own gamers full price. Their baseball games have been going on for ages, even going back to any loyal Sony baseball gamer playing ESPN Baseball Tonight or MLB Pennant Race before changing to the Show. And they wont even give one year as a PS+ Extra/Premium download as a thank you to gamers while their competitor's version is available to buy and sub plan.
Not having to pay $70 for the yearly roster update gives me more money for Jedi Survivor.

Top Bottom