• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINON: Sony Not Offering Performance Upgrade To Ghosts For Free Feels Anti-Consumer

Is Sony justified charging $10 more for performance upgrade when other platforms do it for free?

• Yes

Votes: 97 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 232 55.5%
  • Yes but only if tied with new exclusive content not related to resolution/framerate (give examples)

Votes: 89 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Razvedka

Banned
Lol back in the PS4 they were already super fast. About 8 seconds to fast travel to one point of the map to another. The PS4 version running on PS5 already has faster loadings than that. I know the native PS5 version has even faster loading, but loading times was never a problem in GoT.
Nobody is claiming it was a problem or loaded slow on PS4. I didn't mean to imply that.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
sONdZje.jpg

She's realistic thicc not them fake over the top thicc lol
She's just about average, not thicc at all
giphy.gif
39393c0c0c26cb57d6118db62f2a3abb.gif
laU.gif

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I don't see the outrage since they already patched the PS4 game to run better on PS5 for free, and it runs great.
If you don't want it, don't buy it. Vote with your wallets. But I think only a vocal minority is upset about this.

Jaybe

It seems like Death Stranding’s take and price point was better received. Maybe if they released the DLC + haptics + lipsync as PS5 only for a $10 to $20 upgrade price it would have been better received. Or simply separate the DLC from the haptics + lipsync upgrade to allow for the most consumer choice.

Jaxcellent

I voted yes but i mean: if they add good extra content, and (maybe someone can enlighten me on this, if this is true already?) if your disc copy becomes a digital copy with the added content/ no disc needed in the future that would be a good middle ground IMO.

This is the epitome of consumer entitlement.

This is a game that already recieved a free PS5 patch last year that boosted the game's resolution and performance to 60 FPS. This is a game from the same team that released a whole multiplayer expansion for this game for free, along with tons of other free updates since launch. $10 for a complete PS5 makeover /remaster isn't asking for much.

And, this game is being compared to DOOM Eternal? A game with various forms of paid DLC and microtransactions??

You guys gotta be stupid.

So what specifically is the extra $10 covering? It's not framerates or resolution since the earlier update already did it for free. It's not the new island or gameplay content since that's in both PS4 and PS5 versions and the former is $10 less.

So is it really just for Japanese lip sync and Dualsense support? Like I said before, former might arguably be worth some cost but the latter simply isn't IMO. It'd of been like Nintendo porting Killer Instinct 2 to the N64 and charging $10 extra for analog support...when the controller already has an analog stick built into it and support is mostly a hardware-level thing through APIs.

As for DOOM Eternal, that's paid DLC and microtransactions for additional content; have zero issues with paying for additional content (and with a lot of games, for certain MTX you can still grind to earn them through in-game points or something like that. Which is another business model that can be discussed separately if it's good or bad).

For the life of me, I do not get this mentality. It takes work to create extra content, and PS5 games go for more money. So you pay an extra 10 bucks to cover those PS5 specific differences. They already gave out a free 60fps boost if you played the original game on PS5. Getting the res bump, the Japanese lip sync (this is HUGE IMO, especially as a big fan of all the old samurai movies this game is basically based on), the expansion pack etc ... for 30 bucks? No brainer to me.

What is wrong with charging money for your product?

Do you have a job you expect to be paid by?

There's nothing wrong with paying for new content, don't understand why people are thinking this is about the new story and gameplay content. Thing is, that content is exactly the same between the PS4 and PS5 versions yet it costs $10 more on PS5 and I'm just trying to figure out why.

Because at first I thought it also covered framerate and resolution but that actually isn't the case (yeah, thread title fuck-up, I can live with it). But when you break it down it's really just $10 for Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support which seems questionable. Are those two things really worth $10 on their own when the entire extra island and new gameplay features are covered in the $20?
So which other platforms are doing it for free for all their games?

On Sony's side, you have games like Miles Morales and Sackboy, where you also get the PS5 version upgrade free.

On Xbox you got a free upgrade for Gears 5, Tactics? and FH4 and that's it, as far as I know. They also barely released any games last gen to upgrade and none this gen, thou....

On the Switch, you are paying full price for Wii/Wii U upgrades, and sometimes have to buy Amiibos additionally to get QoL improvements.

Yes I'll admit Nintendo are the worst at this type of practice, easily. They're also the most impervious to criticism for such things, sadly.

As for Microsoft I don't think we'll have too many cross-gen example to pull from going forward aside Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite because after that they seem to be going current-gen only, outside of cloud streaming for the older consoles perhaps.

hussar16

i would very much b happy to pay moeny for a ps5 upgrade if it was enhanced lighting and details like in spiderman but not for a resolution and framerate boost

MrS

Banned
It's 100% a greedy move and that's what Sony are now. It's the reason they're putting games on PC and it's the reason they held back Factions from TLOU2, even though advanced Factions gameplay was part of the pre-launch leaks. Ghost performance upgrade should have been free and the expansion should have just been £15-20. All they care about is rinsing you. The Sony game price increase up to £70 is even more evidence of this, as if it were needed. This leadership regime is unimaginably different to the Andrew House-led PlayStation of the early PS4 era.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

There's nothing wrong with paying for new content, don't understand why people are thinking this is about the new story and gameplay content. Thing is, that content is exactly the same between the PS4 and PS5 versions yet it costs $10 more on PS5 and I'm just trying to figure out why.

Because at first I thought it also covered framerate and resolution but that actually isn't the case (yeah, thread title fuck-up, I can live with it). But when you break it down it's really just $10 for Japanese lip-sync and Dualsense support which seems questionable. Are those two things really worth $10 on their own when the entire extra island and new gameplay features are covered in the $20?

I honestly think it's just PS5 games are more money, so they are charging more for it to fall in line with the rest of the games.

I would likely chalk it up to supply and demand. They know they have PS5 owners that want PS5 content. It's nothing more than wanting to maximize their sales numbers IMO.

I personally don't care. Ten dollars extra is more than fine to me. I play a few games a year. If I take someone out to coffee, that alone costs more than ten bucks. I'm not going to complain about a small price increase after a few decades of 59.99 games. Everything goes up in price with time.

But that's just me. I mean I also paid 89.99 for Chrono Trigger, when I was a small child and had to use birthday money ...

I love how people will defend this because we know if it was EA or anyone else doing it it would be a non stop discussion for years. Want something to pass amongst gamers? Let Sony do it first. Why lootboxes failed. But yea as a PS5 owner I’m not supporting any of the paid next gen updates when doom eternal offers more than what they are for free.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, it defo struck me as kind of shady when I heard about it. The term “nickel and diming” was coined for situations just like this.
Yep, just leave it as PS4 or offer free update. Charge for “content” like dlc accordingly no issue, but not for in place enhancements.

Sony are in a corner here because of their shithouse flip on cross gen. They will have same game at $60 on PS4 and $70 on PS5. Why would anyone pay $70 if the cheaper one updates to PS5 anyway.

Personally, the $70 is no longer valid if the game is also a PS4 game. The whole premise becomes a lie when your pushing the same game with quality sliders.

Will not support until deep discount brings it back to earth.
Yup, they created this issue for themselves.

It’s a little sad actually.

John Wick

$10 for a PS5 version is hell of a lot more affordable than $70. What is this?

I've read your replies, you don't like them charging money for the upgrade to PS5, hence the discussion no?

Why should I "rage" at the other companies? We are discussing Sony here. If Microsoft wants to give free next gen upgrades to games for the new consoles to people, then that is their business model, and it has fuck all to do with this discussion.
Where can you get the PS5 version for $10 Mr aggressive? It's $30 duh.
It has everything to do with this discussion. MS aren't the only company offering free next-gen upgrades. Do you think Sony are special and should charge for their upgrades even though many others are doing them for free? They are charging $20 for the dlc that should cover their PS5 enhancements too.

John Wick

They have released free upgrade for ghost and many other games.

There is always the choice of not buying it. A company releases content and puts a price on it. If I want it and comfortable with that price I buy it. If I'm not I don't bother. One thing I don't do is complain everything isn't free.
You mean like unlocking the framerate and using the PS4 Pro settings? How generous and kind of Sony for looking after the players. I'm sure MS could take a leaf out of their book and do the bare minimum for their fans too eh?

John Wick

It's 100% a greedy move and that's what Sony are now. It's the reason they're putting games on PC and it's the reason they held back Factions from TLOU2, even though advanced Factions gameplay was part of the pre-launch leaks. Ghost performance upgrade should have been free and the expansion should have just been £15-20. All they care about is rinsing you. The Sony game price increase up to £70 is even more evidence of this, as if it were needed. This leadership regime is unimaginably different to the Andrew House-led PlayStation of the early PS4 era.
No Sony are our best friend. They are for the players. They wouldn't dare nickel and dime their customers. Some people just won't get it and will defend their favourite corporation till the bitter end even though their getting bummed up the arse by Jimbo Ryan.

SLB1904

Banned
You mean like unlocking the framerate and using the PS4 Pro settings? How generous and kind of Sony for looking after the players. I'm sure MS could take a leaf out of their book and do the bare minimum for their fans too eh?
thats the problem. not everything is MS vs Sony thing.

Gamerguy84

As a consumer I'm good. Price and choice.

I don't know where MS came into this picture.

John Wick

I honestly think it's just PS5 games are more money, so they are charging more for it to fall in line with the rest of the games.

I would likely chalk it up to supply and demand. They know they have PS5 owners that want PS5 content. It's nothing more than wanting to maximize their sales numbers IMO.

I personally don't care. Ten dollars extra is more than fine to me. I play a few games a year. If I take someone out to coffee, that alone costs more than ten bucks. I'm not going to complain about a small price increase after a few decades of 59.99 games. Everything goes up in price with time.

But that's just me. I mean I also paid 89.99 for Chrono Trigger, when I was a small child and had to use birthday money ...
So the price of making games only affects Sony? Give your head a shake. So they should change their tag line from "for the players" to "for the profits".

DapperSloth

Where can you get the PS5 version for $10 Mr aggressive? It's $30 duh.
It has everything to do with this discussion. MS aren't the only company offering free next-gen upgrades. Do you think Sony are special and should charge for their upgrades even though many others are doing them for free? They are charging $20 for the dlc that should cover their PS5 enhancements too.

We are talking about the $10 dollar upgrade to the PS5-version here since that is the discussion we have been having.
Why are you calling me Mr agressive, what is your problem with me lol? I don't "assume" your mental state based on what you write or how you write. Me typing "fuck this" and "shit that" has nothing to do about rage or agression, so please quit that childish shit right now.

No it has fuck all to do with it. This is Sonys decision to charge for the upgrade to the PS5 version, what other companies are doing is their decision and their business. You can:

A) Be happy about paying for the upgrade
B) Don't care about paying about the upgrade
C) Don't like that you have to pay for the upgrade

Your opinion of this is C) and that is fine, that is your opinion and nobody can take that away from you. But what I have a problem with is that it's anti-consumer which in my opinion it ain't. So it's great to have a discussion about this no?

JaksGhost

Just realized something. Youtube has been recommending me a lot of short videos of TLOU2's combat lately. It looks amazing and I would love to go back and play these combat encounters from the encounter menu just to experience the combat.

The only problem is due to a lack of a native PS5 port, the encounters and chapter select modes still take 40 seconds to load. Thats launch Bloodborne levels of bad. We know the PS5 is capable of literally 1-2 second load times but we haven't gotten it because Sony is planning on charging a full $70 for factions and the native TLOU2 port.

That to me is the worst part about this. We have a great fucking game with great combat running on a machine with a revolutionary SSD that we cant enjoy because of shitty corporate policies.

Why do you keep creating these scenarios in your head just to get angry at Sony for something YOU concocted in your brain. It's so weird.

JoeBudden

So what specifically is the extra $10 covering? It's not framerates or resolution since the earlier update already did it for free. It's not the new island or gameplay content since that's in both PS4 and PS5 versions and the former is $10 less.

So is it really just for Japanese lip sync and Dualsense support? Like I said before, former might arguably be worth some cost but the latter simply isn't IMO. It'd of been like Nintendo porting Killer Instinct 2 to the N64 and charging $10 extra for analog support...when the controller already has an analog stick built into it and support is mostly a hardware-level thing through APIs.

As for DOOM Eternal, that's paid DLC and microtransactions for additional content; have zero issues with paying for additional content (and with a lot of games, for certain MTX you can still grind to earn them through in-game points or something like that. Which is another business model that can be discussed separately if it's good or bad).

Its pretty much a PS5 remaster similar to GTAV or The Last of Us at the start of last generation. The trailer literally said you get new visuals at 4K60 with this update. The PS4 game was dynamic 1800 to 4k at 60 FPS with the PS5 patch last year, 60/30 FPS without it.

You know this, but you're clearly playing dumb for console war drama. Why else would you conveniently leave out the free PS5 patch last year from your OP?

Just look at how you're fine with microtransactions in a game that was promised to not have microtransactions by the developers (probably because they're owned by MS now), but want to frame Sony as greedy for a $10 upgrade path for a full PS5 version of a game that received tons of free content, including a free PS5 enhancement update and expansion last year following its launch.

This is clown shit.

Three

A mod should change the thread title I think. They gave the performance upgrade for free already 60fps on PS5 through a free patch.

The title should be changed to "Sony should not bundle the lip sync update with the island expansion but give it free" or something because at the moment the title makes it seem like they didn't already give the performance upgrade free.

John Wick

Its pretty much a PS5 remaster similar to GTAV or The Last of Us at the start of last generation. The trailer literally said you get new visuals at 4K60 with this update. The PS4 game was dynamic 1800 to 4k at 60 FPS with the PS5 patch last year, 60/30 FPS without it.

You know this, but you're clearly playing dumb for console war drama. Why else would you conveniently leave out the free PS5 patch last year from your OP?

Just look at how you're fine with microtransactions in a game that was promised to not have microtransactions by the developers (probably because they're owned by MS now), but want to frame Sony as greedy for a $10 upgrade path for a full PS5 version of a game that received tons of free content, including a free PS5 enhancement update and expansion last year following its launch.

This is clown shit.
This isn't a remaster at all. Where did you get that from eh? It clearly states dynamic 4k at upto 60fps. If it was fully remastered for PS5 it would be native 4k at 60fps. This isn't a full PS5 game so wanting another $10 on top of the $20 for the dlc is pure greed.
You make it out as though the free enhancement upgrade was some massive big deal? They just unlocked the framerate and the resolution allowing the PS5 to just use it's more powerful CPU and GPU. It is the bare minimum Sony should be doing for it's BC of PS4 games.

John Wick

A mod should change the thread title I think. They gave the performance upgrade for free already 60fps on PS5 through a free patch.

The title should be changed to "Sony should not bundle the lip sync update with the island expansion but give it free" or something because at the moment the title makes it seem like they didn't already give the performance upgrade free.
Yes mods we should change the title because Sony worked really hard for months patching this game. Unlocking the resolution and framerate really took it's toll on the devs.

JoeBudden

This isn't a remaster at all. Where did you get that from eh? It clearly states dynamic 4k at upto 60fps. If it was fully remastered for PS5 it would be native 4k at 60fps. This isn't a full PS5 game so wanting another $10 on top of the $20 for the dlc is pure greed.
You make it out as though the free enhancement upgrade was some massive big deal? They just unlocked the framerate and the resolution allowing the PS5 to just use it's more powerful CPU and GPU. It is the bare minimum Sony should be doing for it's BC of PS4 games.

It's actually a PS3 game. Sony is completely evil.

John Wick

We are talking about the $10 dollar upgrade to the PS5-version here since that is the discussion we have been having.
Why are you calling me Mr agressive, what is your problem with me lol? I don't "assume" your mental state based on what you write or how you write. Me typing "fuck this" and "shit that" has nothing to do about rage or agression, so please quit that childish shit right now.

No it has fuck all to do with it. This is Sonys decision to charge for the upgrade to the PS5 version, what other companies are doing is their decision and their business. You can:

A) Be happy about paying for the upgrade
B) Don't care about paying about the upgrade
C) Don't like that you have to pay for the upgrade

Your opinion of this is C) and that is fine, that is your opinion and nobody can take that away from you. But what I have a problem with is that it's anti-consumer which in my opinion it ain't. So it's great to have a discussion about this no?
It ain't so much anti-consumer as it is greedy and pathetic. The $20 dlc more than enough covers the cost and then some. It puts Sony in a shitty light when their main competitor is doing it free and so are quite a few game devs.

Yes mods we should change the title because Sony worked really hard for months patching this game. Unlocking the resolution and framerate really took it's toll on the devs.
6 pages of discussion on what was added and somehow you still don’t know. You get an F for Effort

bender

What time is it?
If we are changing the title I'd replace 'anti-consumer' with 'not consumer-friendly.'

Last edited:

John Wick

It’s so greedy for Sony to charge for their devs to get to work and implement features from the controller that didnt exist before 😡 /s
I'm sure the $20 DC more than covers the cost and then some. It's so greedy of Sony then want another $10 on top just for PS5. Especially when other devs and MS are offering it freeee.

Rippa

Why is this shit thread even open when SONY already gave an update that unlocks the “performance” of GoT to a locked 60fps on PS5 for FREE?

People are so over privileged and expectant of handouts.

It’s all sickening.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
C'mon genius explain what was added that I'm missing out beside the DLC, Dual Sense support, 3d Audio and Japanese lip sync?

To be fair, you didn't include any of that in the post he replied to. You just referenced frame rate and resolution.

John Wick

To be fair, you didn't include any of that in the post he replied to. You just referenced frame rate and resolution.
It beggers belief that people actually think Sony have done them a great service by giving them the so called performance patch for free. All they did was unlock framerate and resolution. Yet I must be grateful to Sony for doing the bare minimum for BC games on PS5 for free and not charging me for this labour intensive work when others are offering much more for free.

Topher

Gold Member
It beggers belief that people actually think Sony have done them a great service by giving them the so called performance patch for free. All they did was unlock framerate and resolution. Yet I must be grateful to Sony for doing the bare minimum for BC games on PS5 for free and not charging me for this labour intensive work when others are offering much more for free.

Ok.....so what is a specific example of what you are saying "others are offering much more for free"?

PlayStation has no strategy..... it's run by a headless chicken who doesn't even game.

He has a streaming service he is trying to sell and then he decides to port games to PC, thus cannibalizing PSNow numbers.

They are also paying the competitor to host their streaming service..... hilariously dumb.

MSFT entered the console market as they saw Sony as a threat, porting games to PC makes zero sense.

Communication is terrible, SOP's are soulless, cold and clinical.

Close to zero expansion of their first party studios, Housemarque was just to replace all they got rid of.
They just bury their head in the sand as MSFT and others acquire everything.

Jim and co are tone-deaf and he blindly chases profits, games are now 80 euro for a base version in europe.....equal to nearly 100 dollars. He nickel and dimes everything he can and he doesn't even attempt to justify any of it.
This is a comical post.

John Wick

Ok.....so what is a specific example of what you are saying "others are offering much more for free"?
MS offer free next-gen upgrades. Other devs are doing the same. Someone posted a list of games that had free upgrades. So Sony unlocking framerate and resolution isn't some amazing thing they've done for their customers. It literally takes no effort at all. Bare minimum Sony should provide for BC on PS5. MS offer far more for free in upgrades for Series X. Asking another $10 on top of the DLC price is pure greed.
The Last Guardian should have been patched for PS5. But why hasn't it?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
MS offer free next-gen upgrades. Other devs are doing the same. Someone posted a list of games that had free upgrades. So Sony unlocking framerate and resolution isn't some amazing thing they've done for their customers. It literally takes no effort at all. Bare minimum Sony should provide for BC on PS5. MS offer far more for free in upgrades for Series X. Asking another $10 on top of the DLC price is pure greed.

What upgrades are you talking about other than resolution and frame rate? Which games?

Last edited:

John Wick

What upgrades are you talking about other than resolution and frame rate? Which games?
Borderlands 3
- Metro Exodus (Ray tracing)
- Control (Ray tracing)
- Doom Eternal (Ray tracing)
- Mortal Shell
- Final Fantasy 7
- Avengers
- No Man's Sky
- Rainbow Six Seige
- Star Wars Fallen Order ( A fucking EA game)
- Cyberpunk is also getting a free upgrade later this year
- CoD Warzone is getting one later this year
- Witcher 3 Wild Hunt as well
Free next gen upgrades. If you want to know what MS are offering just Google it.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
I'm sure MS could take a leaf out of their book and do the bare minimum for their fans too eh?
Well MS could take a leaf and release new games, maybe. That's the bare minimum I'd expect from a new console...

10€/$ for the PS5 version upgrade might be greedy/shitty/unnecessary, but nobody is obliged to buy it. Let your wallet speak, go to twitter and address your concerns to Sony.

I don't know what business decision led Sony to charge 10 bucks for this and Death Stranding's upgrade, while offering free upgrades for all simultaneously released cross-gen games (Miles Morales, Sackboy and currently Forbidden West is also supposed to be free to upgrade, so I suppose GOW2 and GT7 will be same), but how many more games might be affected by this in the future? TLOU2? Maybe Dreams?

So all this commotion for upgrading maybe 5 games for a total of 60€/$ (counting Spider-Man in this, too)?

Sound's like making a fuss about nothing to me...

Maybe Sony should copy MS and only release 1 AAA game every 18-24 months so they'd have no choice but to focus on making 10-20 year old games run better on a $500 machine lol.

Well MS could take a leaf and release new games, maybe. That's the bare minimum I'd expect from a new console...

10€/$ for the PS5 version upgrade might be greedy/shitty/unnecessary, but nobody is obliged to buy it. Let your wallet speak, go to twitter and address your concerns to Sony.

I don't know what business decision led Sony to charge 10 bucks for this and Death Stranding's upgrade, while offering free upgrades for all simultaneously released cross-gen games (Miles Morales, Sackboy and currently Forbidden West is also supposed to be free to upgrade, so I suppose GOW2 and GT7 will be same), but how many more games might be affected by this in the future? TLOU2? Maybe Dreams?

So all this commotion for upgrading maybe 5 games for a total of 60€/$ (counting Spider-Man in this, too)?

Sound's like making a fuss about nothing to me...
The reason is simply they are going to release these as "PS5 versions" of the games, PS5 first party games are $70.00, GoT is barely a year old and this is going to include new content etc so it's already discounted a bit considering you are getting the base game plus an expansion and all of the free content that was added post launch.

Borderlands 3
- Metro Exodus (Ray tracing)
- Control (Ray tracing)
- Doom Eternal (Ray tracing)
- Mortal Shell
- Final Fantasy 7
- Avengers
- No Man's Sky
- Rainbow Six Seige
- Star Wars Fallen Order ( A fucking EA game)
- Cyberpunk is also getting a free upgrade later this year
- CoD Warzone is getting one later this year
- Witcher 3 Wild Hunt as well
Free next gen upgrades. If you want to know what MS are offering just Google it.
Gears hivebusters
The multiple updates to halo mcc
Sea of theives

they are the first party off the top of my head but many of the other first and third party had series x/1x patches to either up res to 4K or FPS boost

they are all
Dave Chappelle Freedom GIF

edit and before people say you have to pay gamepass their $1 who doesn’t own an Xbox and gamepass

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
Gears hivebusters
The multiple updates to halo mcc
Sea of theives

they are the first party off the top of my head but many of the other first and third party had series x/1x patches to either up res to 4K or FPS boost

they are all
Dave Chappelle Freedom GIF

I think Forza Horizon 4, too, as far as I know.

And then you have:
- Miles Morales (free PS5 upgrade)
- Sackboy (free PS5 upgrade)
- Ratchet 2016
- GoW 2018
- The very same GoT
- TLOU2
- Days Gone

and maybe some others which were updated for PS5 with 4k/fps boosts.

In case of GoT and Death Stranding Director's Cut, they are actually selling them as new SKUs, and the 10€/$ fee is to update your PS4 base game to this SKU. Which is also the reason why you HAVE to buy the expansion for GoT in order to upgrade to the PS5 version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom