• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OPINON: Sony Not Offering Performance Upgrade To Ghosts For Free Feels Anti-Consumer

Is Sony justified charging $10 more for performance upgrade when other platforms do it for free?

• Yes

Votes: 97 23.2%
  • No

Votes: 232 55.5%
  • Yes but only if tied with new exclusive content not related to resolution/framerate (give examples)

Votes: 89 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lupin25

So there’s already a free patch (like most other developers) and now they’re fully upgrading and implementing high-res visuals, 3D Virtual Audio, DualSense capabilities and Japanese lip-sync?

Hasn’t this been the price of next-gen admission the whole time? Those features have made the difference in pricing for every other next-gen game, so what’s the difference here for GOT?

PS5 owners (who’ve never bought it) will receive the same story content PS4 owners bought for $60 a year ago, but with all of the additional additives (DLC, next-gen upgrade) brand new for just $10 more.

Last edited:

elliot5

So there’s already a free patch (like most other developers) and now they’re fully upgrading and implementing high-res visuals, 3D Virtual Audio, DualSense capabilities and Japanese lip-sync?

Hasn’t this been the price of next-gen admission the whole time? Those features have made the difference in pricing for every other next-gen game, so what’s the difference here for GOT?

PS5 owners (who’ve never bought it) will receive the same story content PS4 owners bought for $60 a year ago, but with all of the additional additives (DLC, next-gen upgrade) brand new for just $10 more.
Yeah brand new PS5 owners. The problem seems to resonate with the PS4 owners upgrading. It's a $30 upgrade for them. $10 of which is only the dualsense and 3d audio and lip sync stuff.

Yeah brand new PS5 owners. The problem seems to resonate with the PS4 owners upgrading. It's a $30 upgrade for them. $10 of which is only the dualsense and 3d audio and lip sync stuff.
Then don't pay the 10 dollars if it is THAT unimportant?

It it is "only" something, you use only as a word because you think it is not worth 10 dollars. So then just don't pay for it?

If i see something not worth the asking price, should I
A: Not buy it or
B: demand the store owner give it to me as a gift because I am offended he dared charging that much?"

And anyone who tried to argue that Xbox offer a better deal; then go and PLAY on XBOX.
Don't accuse Sony of being greedy just because Xbox is desperate in trying to retain users. Seriously if you love what Xbox is doing then jump ship already. Sony is doing good so they can afford to not give things away, Xbox is struggling so they are having fire sales. That is all. Go play on Xbox instead of wanting free Playstation stuff.

John Wick

Well MS could take a leaf and release new games, maybe. That's the bare minimum I'd expect from a new console...

10€/$ for the PS5 version upgrade might be greedy/shitty/unnecessary, but nobody is obliged to buy it. Let your wallet speak, go to twitter and address your concerns to Sony.

I don't know what business decision led Sony to charge 10 bucks for this and Death Stranding's upgrade, while offering free upgrades for all simultaneously released cross-gen games (Miles Morales, Sackboy and currently Forbidden West is also supposed to be free to upgrade, so I suppose GOW2 and GT7 will be same), but how many more games might be affected by this in the future? TLOU2? Maybe Dreams?

So all this commotion for upgrading maybe 5 games for a total of 60€/$ (counting Spider-Man in this, too)?

Sound's like making a fuss about nothing to me...
I don't expect them to release significant content for free. So the DC of GoT for $20 is a fair price because your getting Iki Island. Same with DS DC for $10 is a fair upgrade for extra content.

Raonak

Banned
The PS5 upgrade should be free.

not really a big deal in any case, I imagine it's their way of getting everyone to jump straight to the expansion pack.

Ezekiel_

Banned
Not sure if you are serious or not. Microsoft is the most consumer friendly when it comes to their games and practices and services. If you don't know how then I am not willing to explain. You already know the god damn answer to this, so do not even try any of this dumb shit.

Hummm let's see...

• Start the whole "pay to play online" a whole generation before Sony. It was free to play online on the PS3. When making PS+ a requirement for online, Sony kept offering great games every month, and still do. Compare PS+ games offered versus Xbox Live Gold games.
  • Try doubling the price of Xbox Live without offering more value.
  • Require Xbox Live to play free to play games (only just very recently removed that requirement after the doubling of price debacle).
Sony actually giving free games. Yes, actually giving. No subscription required. We are talking about Uncharted collection, Journey, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete edition, Subnautica and a ton of other games WHILE being console market leader.

How about you don't even try YOUR dumb shit by saying Microsoft is somehow cOnSuMeR fRiEnDlY?

Hummm let's see...

• Start the whole "pay to play online" a whole generation before Sony. It was free to play online on the PS3. When making PS+ a requirement for online, Sony kept offering great games every month, and still do. Compare PS+ games offered versus Xbox Live Gold games.
  • Try doubling the price of Xbox Live without offering more value.
  • Require Xbox Live to play free to play games (only just very recently removed that requirement after the doubling of price debacle).
Sony actually giving free games. Yes, actually giving. No subscription required. We are talking about Uncharted collection, Journey, Horizon Zero Dawn Complete edition, Subnautica and a ton of other games WHILE being console market leader.

How about you don't even try YOUR dumb shit by saying Microsoft is somehow cOnSuMeR fRiEnDlY?
MS doesn't charge $70 for first party titles.

Game Pass, play triple AAA release day 1 at the stupid low cost.

Majority of 1st party are all cross play and cross save.

A for effort man. A big F though for execution, and trying to sound smarter. Learn to educate yourself bud.

Now join the ignore list :)

Last edited:

TidusYuna

Simple. Don't buy all games Day 1. Wait for some to drop to $20-$30 if this price isn't right for you. If you want to support the company and you believe the game is worth the money, buy it day one.

S0ULZB0URNE

You are saying the upgrade is not worth 10 dollars. But if it is so minor then the best option is to not buy it. When you see something you don't want, the logical action is NOT to demand that it be given to you for free.
I said it's not much of a upgrade and that Sony shouldn't charge for it.

Ezekiel_

Banned

A for effort man. A big F though for execution, and trying to sound smarter. Learn to educate yourself bud.

They don't have first party next-gen only titles :messenger_tears_of_joy: If they had they would charge 70$

Of course GamePass is great right now. They have to play catch up and dump a lot of money to not completely lose all their customers. But I don't really see how that makes them "pro-consumer". Sony have PS Now. Is Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV+, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, etc pro-consumer too according to you? They're just subscription services. You pay to play. Stop paying, stop playing. Some people like them, some don't.

Cross play advantages platform holders with the least amount of players, so of course Microsoft supports it :messenger_winking: Sony supports it too, but demand financial compensation for access to their much larger player base (which I think they are entitled to).

Chill. No need to be upset.

Last edited:
Sony has never ever been consumer friendly or ever will be consumer friendly. Neither is Nintendo.

bullshit! unless you are like 10 years old you surely you remember sony used to do free online with ps3? sony were the first to give out monthly games with playstation plus. sony were the ones to declare they support used games when microsoft was doing the opposite. sony were the first ones to actually do full backwards compatibility with the PS2 and early PS3 models. how is none of that consumer friendly?

for nintendo, you are more accurate.

Unknown?

bullshit! unless you are like 10 years old you surely you remember sony used to do free online with ps3? sony were the first to give out monthly games with playstation plus. sony were the ones to declare they support used games when microsoft was doing the opposite. sony were the first ones to actually do full backwards compatibility with the PS2 and early PS3 models. how is none of that consumer friendly?

He's just trolling tbh.

And yet... they refuse to go BC for the rest of their systems with the PS5. Meanwhile MS not only supports and encourages BC, it also enhances previous titles lol. You got jokes.

Not sure if you are serious or not. Microsoft is the most consumer friendly when it comes to their games and practices and services. If you don't know how then I am not willing to explain. You already know the god damn answer to this, so do not even try any of this dumb shit.
Well you said ever. How old are you by chance? Maybe u were just too small to see Idk maybe the most non consumer friendly policies in existence about to be implemented by Microsoft with the XB1?

Topher

Gold Member
And yet... they refuse to go BC for the rest of their systems with the PS5. Meanwhile MS not only supports and encourages BC, it also enhances previous titles lol. You got jokes.

What are you talking about? PS5 has BC with PS4. There is no doubt MS has done a far superior job at BC than Sony. Sony, on the other hand, has done a much better job of actually building a superior library of first party games. Personally, I buy consoles primarily for first party games. In that respect, Sony has been the more consumer friendly. That's the thing..."consumer friendly" depends on each individual consumer. It is not an absolute state of being.

Last edited:

Warablo

If it is not much of an upgrade, then why do you want it so badly that you are declaring Sony greedy? I don't get it, do you want it or not want it?
They want it so bad because they bought a PS5 recently yet Sony is charging them a little extra on top for using the PS5 features on a old game. Users just want use their PS5 at its native power, instead Sony just wants to give it a PS4 Pro patch then charge extra for the PS5.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They want it so bad because they bought a PS5 recently yet Sony is charging them a little extra on top for using the PS5 features on a old game.

Who is "they"? Some PS5 customers will want it and others will not. I'm among the latter. There is no "they".

Knight Keto Diet GIF by Keto Chow

Warablo

Who is "they"? Some PS5 customers will want it and others will not. I'm among the latter. There is no "they".
Any owners of a PS5 would want any game they put/download on their system to use it to its fullest potential. Especially with a newly release piece of hardware like the PS5. If they didn't, then they would have just stuck with a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Any owners of a PS5 would want any game they put/download on their system to use it to its fullest potential. Especially with a newly release piece of hardware like the PS5. If they didn't, then they would have just stuck with a PS4 or PS4 Pro.

Some will be fine with the boosted frame rates and others will be willing to pay for the enhanced upgrades and new content. This isn't an all or nothing scenario.

drotahorror

I spent $40 on the PS4 version (to play on PS5) and definitely regret it. This seems like a game that's definitely coming to PC, I'll grab on there for cheap.

No point in trying to argue the point op Sony are clearly trying to make money of their userbase with their shitty pricing policies and many of them are happy to bend over and let Jim have another round

• Yes the released free stuff and a pretty cool multiplayer mode for ghosts
  • Yes they released performance patches for not only ghosts but other first party games

But both the above things have been done either for free or less of a charge by third parties or first parties on other platforms
Enjoy that $70 ps5 edition new adopters

Imagine if PC gamers had to pay for Resolution and framelimiting options hah.

Last edited:

Pull n Pray

Banned
It does reflect poorly on Sony when they charge for next gen upgrades while Microsoft and other publishers give them away at no additional charge. But if you charge $70 for next gen games (and $60 for previous), then you pretty much have to charge $10 for upgrading. But then they make it even worse by locking the upgrades behind a $20 DLC purchase. At the very least, just sell the upgrades for $10. Don't lock them behind other purchases.

dtremblay

i mean it's their prerogative to price their things however they'd like. if this is how they've deemed they can best deliver shareholder value or whatever metric they want to use, then yes they're absolutely justified. and I'll continue to pay for these things when it makes sense for me -- sometimes it does and other times not (I'm a pretty sloppy ho and give all these companies more money than I arguably should, but I digress).

i'm also completely behind paying people for their work, supporting the things you enjoy, and all of that bullshit.

but is it a bad look compared to what some other companies have decided is in their best interest? i definitely think so.

in instances where upgrades are for free, part of my reaction is "it's cool they're in a position where they can do this. win those hearts and minds mr publisher!"

1. The game was originally made for ps4 so there is no such thing as haptic feedback or adaptive trigger, these were implemented to the ps5 version
2. The ps4 version already has a 60fps patch for free so stick with that version if it irks you
3. They brought out a multiplayer/coop feature for free
4. Thing they do and implement take time and money
5. Developers should be paid for their hardwork
I wholeheartedly agree that developers be paid for their hard work. Yet, the competition is doing upgrades for free, and if you improve the game doesn't it make sense to benefit from increased sales rather than upcharge the players that already bought the game?

Umbral

I wholeheartedly agree that developers be paid for their hard work. Yet, the competition is doing upgrades for free, and if you improve the game doesn't it make sense to benefit from increased sales rather than upcharge the players that already bought the game?
Microsoft has significantly more money than Sony. They can lose some money and try to make it elsewhere.

I’m not owed anything by Sony. If I deem the upgrade not worth it, I don’t buy it.

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony has never ever been consumer friendly or ever will be consumer friendly. Neither is Nintendo.

Astroturfing?

Microsoft has significantly more money than Sony. They can lose some money and try to make it elsewhere.

I’m not owed anything by Sony. If I deem the upgrade not worth it, I don’t buy it.
Well I don't really disagree with what you're saying It's also just strange to not bring up the question of where the better value is?

I don't care if Sony or Microsoft has more money. Obviously I know the answer that question. It's a value proposition to me and to you as the consumer.

e&e

Banned
I wish I had time to cross reference people that hate Nintendo’s pricing stance now having no problem with Sony.

PS: It’s about to get “worse” because the games Sony makes has just increased exponentially this Gen…

Edit: Sony set a precedent and now they are changing it yet again, their fans expect free upgrades but they see a cash cow now…
This is the epitome of consumer entitlement.

This is a game that already recieved a free PS5 patch last year that boosted the game's resolution and performance to 60 FPS. This is a game from the same team that released a whole multiplayer expansion for this game for free, along with tons of other free updates since launch. $10 for a complete PS5 makeover /remaster isn't asking for much.

And, this game is being compared to DOOM Eternal? A game with various forms of paid DLC and microtransactions??

You guys gotta be stupid.
Sony’s fault…

Last edited:

Umbral

Well I don't really disagree with what you're saying It's also just strange to not bring up the question of where the better value is?

I don't care if Sony or Microsoft has more money. Obviously I know the answer that question. It's a value proposition to me and to you as the consumer.
If Xbox continues to do it for free, and people start leaving, Sony will straighten up.

I will never buy anything made by Microsoft, so my opinion on that aspect doesn’t matter. My preferences only leave me Sony to buy from until they stop making things I like.

MiguelItUp

I think it was an excuse/business decision of theirs to lump it with other additional/new content to convince folks to buy it. Yes. Video games are a business. Could they have done it for free? Sure. Why didn't they? We'll never know, other than if they can make money off of it, why not?

At least they had the audacity to not just charge for a performance upgrade and included additional content as well.

I thought it was funny to see that though, then see Death Stranding basically do the same thing, but for $10. Performance upgrade, new content, and all.

Top Bottom