• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Optimus Keyboard (Revolution controller tech?)

Gek54

I came accross this prototype of a keyboard with customizable light up buttons and instantly thought of all the Revolution controller rumors. Anyways looks like it would be a cool board for gaming or anything.

Optimus Keyboard
keyb_002.jpg

QUAKE
qua.jpg

Photoshop
psd.jpg

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Wow looks pretty sweet. How expensive is that thing going to be though? I guess a controller would only need like 6-10 of those buttons instead of a full keyboard, but still.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Senretsu said:
OLED's aren't even used in real consumer products you can buy yet I think

They have been used in many products over the last year, including cell phones and MP3 players. The new sony MP3 players all have OLEDs.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Barnimal said:
wouldnt it just be easier to well...click on the icons on your screen with the mouse? :lol

Spend enough time working in Adobe CS, Avid, or hell, even MS Office and you'll realize that's a lot quicker to just use the keyboard for common tasks.

Barnimal

Banned
thats only if you left the keyboard stuck on 1 layout. switching between 2 would begin to get complicated and 3? just forget it.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Barnimal said:
thats only if you left the keyboard stuck on 1 layout. switching between 2 would begin to get complicated and 3? just forget it.

Depends entirely on what you're doing. The only hangup would be needing to swap out layouts for when you need regular text input. But maybe there's a reserve key somewhere on the board to go "normal" and back to the custom layout again.

Awesome idea, but I'm guessing a consumer version would cost alot more than I'd be willing to pay for a keyboard. I also like to eat and drink while doing stuff on the computer-- I doubt this technology would be very compatible with my habits

KINGMOKU

How about this?

http://depthq.com/index.html

"Lightspeed Design Group has been a leader in stereo 3D for over a decade, developing new hardware and software technologies and presenting 3D to millions through museum theaters, corporate events, and a world exposition. Lightspeed has considerable expertise in 3D projection, software development, and electronics. Lightspeed's clients include Mercedes, U.S. Army, Continental Teves, Procter & Gamble, Nintendo IMAX Corporation, and Disney Imagineering.

Hehehehe.....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yeah, I hope to see that at a reasonable price in the next few years. Its possible with LCD tech getting cheaper (is that what it uses?).

Flo_Evans

that is pretty damn cool... only problem is, KB shortcuts are faster for photoshop because its like typing - you don't have to look at the KB to hit CTRL+C, your hand already knows where it is...

Zaptruder

Banned
To everyone that thinks this would be great on the revolution controller...

I'm just going to ask; how often do you look down at your controller while playing a game?

I guess that problem would apply to touch screen interfaces on the revolution controller as well.

Mark my words; they're going to copy the revolution on the PS2, with a similar idea; except if its supported right from the start, games could ship with their own buttons and or sticks or even dipswitches.

miyuru

You're kidding me you actually thought about Revolution when you saw this, right?

These keyboards look cool, but if you actually THINK for a second, it's just another ploy to get money from you suckers. I never look at my keyboard when I'm playing games or anything like that. And I learn shortcuts myself, I don't need visual aids on the keyboard itself.

sarusama

Although it might *look* cool, this is somewhat completely useless. You don't look on your keyboard when you use it (if you use it a lot that is... like that Photoshop example).

Just as you don't look down on your controller when you want to, e.g., attack. You just press A.

Besides using a screen for each button should be really expensive. How about just one big touch-screen?

Zaptruder

Banned
demi said:
See, I always knew I was the innovation behind new technologies.

That's what happens when you're a mormon god, you know.

Each post of yours just emphasizes and cements the accuracy and reality of your tag.

TheDiave

Banned
That's awesome... But even if it were something like that technology, I hope Nintendo's got something better than that up their sleeves. That is unless they want to cause the largest collective sigh in known history.

Top Bottom