• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Orca co-developing Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate

sublimit

Banned
Orca-DQXI-UE5_09-21-21.jpg

Orca is recruiting Unreal Engine 5 game development staff to work on Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate and unannounced Unreal Engine-developed game content, the company announced.

The Shinjuku-based developer previously co-developed Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age and Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition with Square Enix, as well as Ace combat 7: Skies Unknown with Bandai Namco, among other titles.

Dragon Quest XII: The Flames of Fate was officially announced in May for unannounced platforms. It is being developed on Unreal Engine 5. With today’s announcement, Orca is the second known co-developer on the project alongside Hexa Drive.

So basically 3(!) studios are working on this title. Orca,Hexa Drive and SE. Everything points out to a huge project probably much bigger than DQXI was.

Would be nice if they showed something in TGS.

Last edited:

Rykan

So for those with more technical knowhow: Is there any chance of an Unreal 5 engine game releasing on Switch? I almost can't imagine SE leaving that market behind.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So for those with more technical knowhow: Is there any chance of an Unreal 5 engine game releasing on Switch? I almost can't imagine SE leaving that market behind.
Seeing as 11 was released on switch more for Iwata than anything I wouldn’t count on it.

Synless

Doubtful, but S-E has released different versions of the same game on various platforms before (Think DQ11 on 3ds) so I wouldn't be suprised to see a different version tailored to that system come out.

killatopak

Gold Member
Switch owners deserve DQ as much as PC and PS owners.

Of course, I still prefer it being developed solely for the new hardware but I really want more people, especially in the west, to enjoy DQ. XI was a big step in that direction because DQ was largely Japan centric with its audience.

Doubtful, but S-E has released different versions of the same game on various platforms before (Think DQ11 on 3ds) so I wouldn't be suprised to see a different version tailored to that system come out.
This.
DQ is still very much a Japanese game so a Switch version is all but assured. But making a version for PS4/XboxOne is definitely possible.

ClosBSAS

Man, fuck yes. I need more of this game. 11 was jrpg at its best and one of the best games last gen. Hopefully this can surpass it.

sublimit

Banned

Of course, I still prefer it being developed solely for the new hardware but I really want more people, especially in the west, to enjoy DQ. XI was a big step in that direction because DQ was largely Japan centric with its audience.
Why no Xbox though? I'm sure all 6 fans on that platform would enjoy it as well. :p

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Why no Xbox though? I'm sure all 6 fans on that platform would enjoy it as well. :p
I admit, I kinda forgot because they got DQ later than everyone did. But yes, they too deserve it. Make DQ as big as it can, I say. I friggin love this series.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Will they downgrade the PC graphics of this version to be in line with the Switch version?

ethomaz

Banned
Orca-DQXI-UE5_09-21-21.jpg

So basically 3(!) studios are working on this title. Orca,Hexa Drive and SE. Everything points out to a huge project probably much bigger than DQXI was.

Would be nice if they showed something in TGS.
Well if it is DQ game then Armor Project is involved too.
Square Enix has a established contract with them from the old Enix.

Their last big works were help with Dragon Quest Walk and Smash Bros. Ultimate... and before that Dragon Quest XI (all versions).

Last edited:

clem84

Gold Member
The 3 studios most likely is to work on the other platform's versions.

PS5 is a given. XSX is very likely.

I'm sure that when it comes to a major project like DQXII, multiple years in development, SE must have some idea of Nintendo's timetable relating to the release of their next system.

If this thing comes out in 2023, I have no clue what they'll decide to do. It would be kind of silly to ignore the 100million+ (by that time) Switch userbase, but if its successor is out they might choose to concentrate on that. Neither would surprise me.

sublimit

Banned
Well if it is DQ game then Armor Project is involved too.
Square Enix has a established contract with them from the old Enix.

Their last big works were help with Dragon Quest Walk and Smash Bros. Ultimate... and before that Dragon Quest XI (all versions).
Armor Project as far as i know is the main team that develops all main DQ games. That's why i said 3 studios are working on this.

However as someone else said one of those studios (Orca or Hexa) could be working specifically on a Switch version.

ethomaz

Banned
Shifting a bit the topic.

How do you guys see the 2D version found in 3DS? I mean it was worth the money and time spend to create two way different engines for the game?

While it looks nostalgic I found that Square Enix shot themselves with hat decision.
So I prefer this new game not have that 2D version being worked.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Shifting a bit the topic.

How do you guys see the 2D version found in 3DS? I mean it was worth the money and time spend to create two way different engines for the game?

While it looks nostalgic I found that Square Enix shot themselves with hat decision.
So I prefer this new game not have that 2D version being worked.
We will never know that answer since SE never released that version in the West.

sublimit

Banned
Switch version doesn’t have the two modes?

Probably meant the DQ8 style characters the 3DS has.

2D mode is in the Switch version.
No i actually forgot the Switch version includes the 2D one as well (i have only played the PS4 version).

But it is indeed a shame they didn't included the PS2-like graphics. I would totally play a new DQ game for Switch with graphics like that.

Will they downgrade the PC graphics of this version to be in line with the Switch version?
You mean like they did with XI S? They did that with Xbox and even PS4 too. To get the good graphics, you can't play the S version - so only the original version on PS4. It definitely was an odd choice.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
You mean like they did with XI S? They did that with Xbox and even PS4 too. To get the good graphics, you can't play the S version - so only the original version on PS4. It definitely was an odd choice.

ya exactly im still salty about that.

FStubbs

The 3 studios most likely is to work on the other platform's versions.

PS5 is a given. XSX is very likely.

I'm sure that when it comes to a major project like DQXII, multiple years in development, SE must have some idea of Nintendo's timetable relating to the release of their next system.

If this thing comes out in 2023, I have no clue what they'll decide to do. It would be kind of silly to ignore the 100million+ (by that time) Switch userbase, but if its successor is out they might choose to concentrate on that. Neither would surprise me.
DQ11 had 3DS and Switch versions, btw. In fact, it was the very first game announced for Switch before we even know what "NX" was.

Last edited:

Aenima

Using U5 engine is a nice surprise. Hope they dont make a special/more complete switch version and then port the switch version to the other consoles with downgraded graphics. :p

Last edited:

lachesis

I just hope this won't further complicate the license situation which is already complicated enough.
Square/Enix v. Bird Studio v. Sugiyama et al.
Probably Square Enix is considering this as a subsidary thing (like they did with Level 5) - so I'm guessing it'd be okay.

Looking forward to it & hope we don't have to wait too long.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I just hope this won't further complicate the license situation which is already complicated enough.
Square/Enix v. Bird Studio v. Sugiyama et al.
Probably Square Enix is considering this as a subsidary thing (like they did with Level 5) - so I'm guessing it'd be okay.

Looking forward to it & hope we don't have to wait too long.

This has been pretty standard SOP for Dragon Quest. Only X and XI were made in house.

kiphalfton

They can get the equivalent of the switch port of FFXV.

blackjon24

Whats the likelihood this drops on xbox at launch? Just give it to me straight.

It’s possible, if they want this series to be more mainstream it really needs to come out on all the main systems including Xbox and pc day one as well.

With dragon quest 11 being free on gamepass hopefully the numbers of download exceeded squares expectations

Last edited:

kevm3

I hope some separate team develops this for switch. I don't want essentially a switch game graphically but with better fps and resolution on the other systems.

lachesis

This has been pretty standard SOP for Dragon Quest. Only X and XI were made in house.

Yeah - I'm just little wary of that last fiasco of MIDI music only for regular XI due to the licensing (so I heard) issue with Sugiyama.
Now he has passed away, but I'm sure the interested party is still intact...? We'll see.

Top Bottom