• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Will of the Wisps may update to 120FPS on Xbox Series X

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

While Ori and the Will of the Wisps heads to Xbox One and Windows PC this week, we used the chance to speak with Moon Studios’ Thomas Mahler to talk potential enhancements for the next-gen Xbox Series X. According to Mahler, that may include an update that brings the game to 120FPS on console.

“One of the things that I’d like to see that I really liked from Microsoft — that they’ve been pushing — is 120 frames[-per-second],” Mahler said. “I think that’s amazing. There are more TVs coming out that support 120Hz, and that might be something that we’ll look into.”

In the end, Moon Studios’ eyes remain fixed on Will of the Wisps’ launch rather than the holiday 2020 season.

“Honest to God, we are not in that mindset yet,” he continued. “We’re just trying to ship Will of the Wisps; we just hope Will of the Wisps will be successful and then we’ll take a look.”

Mahler also confirmed that Moon, a first-party studio, doesn’t “even have Xbox Series X dev kits or anything yet.”

theclaw135

Banned
An industry spanning 50 years, and we've only had like what? One or two console games ever natively greater than 60fps?

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s going to be really interesting to see what the current gen of games can do on next-gen.

This, to me, is where 120 FPS or 8K could actually see some widespread support, depending on whether developers are willing to go back and do that.

Personally, I would love to go back and rediscover this gen’s games, and anything I missed, in that kind of quality.

First, fix the framerate on XboneS/X. Later after that talk about 120fps

Shin

Banned
Wait, Moon Studios is a first-party studo?
Whatever the quote below means (IDK Xbox stuff).

Moon Studios is an independent video game development studio, founded in 2010 by Thomas Mahler (former Cinematic Artist at Blizzard Entertainment) and Gennadiy Korol (former Senior Graphics Engineer at Animation Lab). The company mainly focuses on highly refined gameplay mechanics within its products and prides itself on an excessive 'iterative polish' process. Moon Studios is a distributed development house: All team members are spread throughout the world, allowing Moon to work with the best and most talented people in the games industry. In 2011, Moon Studios became a Microsoft First Party Developer and is now working on Ori and the Will of the Wisps.

The audience *this* game interests, on a X1X, a sales flop no matter how you spin it, that have said console connected to such a capable display, must be like... Upwards of 13 people.

I have the game downloaded though, still gotta give it a spin.

anaphase

Wonderful for the 0.5% of players who'll be hooking an 1X1 up to a 120hz display I guess. Can't hurt.

Are you buying a ps5 or series x? These are expensive machines.

If you can afford those, plus games and subscriptions, you should probably be able to afford a $2000 dollar tv.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are you buying a ps5 or series x? These are expensive machines.

If you can afford those, plus games and subscriptions, you should probably be able to afford a $2000 dollar tv.

I have a 65" OLED TV, it's 60hz. My monitor is 165hz. The amount of people hooking a console into a high frame rate capable TV isn't going to be much at all, regardless of whether they can afford it.

Also, having just finised Ori, they can barely get the fucking thing to work at a consistent 60 on an X1X, so I'm curious to see how this shakes out.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The audience *this* game interests, on a X1X, a sales flop no matter how you spin it, that have said console connected to such a capable display, must be like... Upwards of 13 people.

I have the game downloaded though, still gotta give it a spin.
There's numbers out for how this game sold so far and how many are playing on Gamepass on PC and/or Xbox?

Exentryk

Been enjoying the game at 4k 60fps on PC (Steam) connected to 65 inch OLED TV (C9). If HDMI 2.1 graphics cards were out, it'd be 120 fps. Still, 60 fps is smooth as, and the game plays great!

Last edited:
Top Bottom