• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori Developer's Culture Reportedly 'Oppressive,' No Longer Working With Xbox (ign)

Swift_Star

Banned
Mix of overaction + strawman + projection here. the trend of misrepresenting another persons opinions to excuse unjustified objection is a main cause communal unrest.

I'm a person who speaks from long experience. Have had many shoulders to cry on but lacked progress. Only with the Gods blessing and the self commitment to step forward did things change.

Life is full of pressure and unsavory people. The links of social media give the illusion of support and distract from the need to deal with the real world in the vicinity.

I said what I said.
You don’t care about and harassment. That’s what you said.
You do you.
This conversation is over.

MS was clearly courting them for awhile but Mahler talked about this mysterious action RPG that would be a multiplat years ago, I don’t think anything particular happened between Moon and MS there, I just don’t think MS was interested in funding a multiplat.
But Moon no longer working with Xbox essentially means the Ori IP is dead. I was hoping they had a second team doing pre-production work on Ori 3.
I don't know, I think the reason why MS looked to no longer work with Remedy or Moon was missed milestones and deadlines

Fredrik

they have dozen that can make it
Lol?

Moon is right up there among the top 5 metroidmania devs. MS has no other dev capable of making a new Ori game of the same calibre. They could contract another third party dev to do it though, maybe Team Cherry or Mercury Steam, but it’s Moon’s characters, world, story so it wouldn’t be the same, guaranteed.

Only way I see Ori reappearing is through a remake or another genre.

Apparently according to Jez and Grubb, some of this behaviour got directed towards the Xbox team and so they decided to distance themselves from Moon Studios.

Whether you believe Jez and Grubb is a bit of a personal one.

I just find it so weird that when it comes to this stuff, or getting any semi-regular updates on their 1P games, we just get these secondhand accounts from guys like Jez and Grubb, and never much anything official . Why am I hearing about Avowed details from Jez Corden? Why isn't that Matt Booty out here talking about those games, in an official capacity?

Same with this news; if it really was all on Moon why things fell apart, you'd think Booty or someone else from XGS management could give a sort of response indicating such. MS's initial statements indicated nothing about workplace toxicity at Moon as for the reason they cut off ties with them. Why? Was it because that wouldn't work as a convincing reason considering they'd announce acquiring ABK a little later?

Just don't think we should need to keep hinging all our info related to Xbox outside of E3 and TGAs, on insiders and the such.

Fredrik

I just find it so weird that when it comes to this stuff, or getting any semi-regular updates on their 1P games, we just get these secondhand accounts from guys like Jez and Grubb, and never much anything official . Why am I hearing about Avowed details from Jez Corden? Why isn't that Matt Booty out here talking about those games, in an official capacity?

Same with this news; if it really was all on Moon why things fell apart, you'd think Booty or someone else from XGS management could give a sort of response indicating such. MS's initial statements indicated nothing about workplace toxicity at Moon as for the reason they cut off ties with them. Why? Was it because that wouldn't work as a convincing reason considering they'd announce acquiring ABK a little later?

Just don't think we should need to keep hinging all our info related to Xbox outside of E3 and TGAs, on insiders and the such.
Microsoft can’t say it was about work conditions even if that was the reason they stepped back, officially Moon just went to Private Division instead for their next game, studio issues within Moon is not Microsoft’s business, they were just a publisher.

However, I agree that MS needs to take control over the hype/PR talk for their 1st party games. Staying silent and wait for E3 is such a weird strategy. I can’t see why it would be impossible to tease and create hype and still make a big splash at a big event later.

reksveks

It's not Matt Booty's place, it's still the directors and studio leads place to talk about those games.

Xbox hasn't made any comments about Moon afaik (happy to be corrected here) but suspect that they didn't want to get into a public 'slinging' match with Moon Studios. It's not really professional imo and it's a bit of cowardice.
Yes, I think Xbox needs to do more events and lock down on leaks but it's another topic largely.

Hezekiah

Banned
Microsoft can’t say it was about work conditions even if that was the reason they stepped back, officially Moon just went to Private Division instead for their next game, studio issues within Moon is not Microsoft’s business, they were just a publisher.

However, I agree that MS needs to take control over the hype/PR talk for their 1st party games. Staying silent and wait for E3 is such a weird strategy. I can’t see why it would be impossible to tease and create hype and still make a big splash at a big event later.
Especially after the multiple reveals in July 2020.

As I said the other days they are lurching from one extreme to the other.

But the initial reveals were a mistake - showing off games that were in still in pre-production, and we know several Microsoft studios have struggled with efficient development. The Initiative being the latest example.

Fredrik

Especially after the multiple reveals in July 2020.

As I said the other days they are lurching from one extreme to the other.

But the initial reveals were a mistake - showing off games that were in still in pre-production, and we know several Microsoft studios have struggled with efficient development. The Initiative being the latest example.
I’m sick of it really, the silence. I understand that the empty first half of the year wasn’t planned but they could still do teasing, some kind of tease event for upcoming AAA releases. Not showing anything just to make a bigger splash at E3 makes little sense to me.

oldergamer

I dont know why anyone here thinks they are entitled to information like this between moon and them. Simply put you all don't know what goes on behind the scenes for a reason. It doesnt matter who the company is, there is always going to be dirt or controversial things happening. No shock we are hearing about a small developer having trouble working with employees. Anyone remember phil fish?

Last edited:
so regular normal work life

when you are part of a small business with limited staff in specialized fields you don't punch out.

your boss is not your mom.

Jesus Christ.

Where the heck are you working for it to be "regular?"

Yeah, and your employees are not your slaves.

Glad they got out.

A good reputation and referrals are important for career progress. jeopardizing ones own carrier by crying about silly things is self defeating. they got out but employers will think twice about hiring them with this attitude.

Good lord, do you actually believe that? They got out because they didn't feel good in their current job. Do you honestly think no one will hire them because they got out? They destroyed their reputation? Talk about a hyperbole.

She doesn’t really say anything or give any insight?
What is wrong with you her friends left and her soul was destroyed. She has like 10 flags on her profile including the all-important rainbow and streams... tabletop games... with Masie Williams...(?) What I'm trying to say here is shut the fuck up and be an uncritical ally please and maybe check your privilege next time before hitting that 'post reply' button to oppress marginalized people.

(am I doing social justice right yet?)

Last edited:

Porcile

Making games just seems like such a herculean task in terms of the high degree of skilled and stressful work involved, the time investment of 5+ years to put out a quality product, and the people you have to deal with. I can imagine doing it my 20s, but after that who the fuck really has any time for that. It's no wonder there are so many fucked up people in the industry.

Amiga

Do you honestly think no one will hire them because they got out? They destroyed their reputation?

It will be difficult for them. being unable to handle work pressure is a small thing. causing public trouble for a small company that other workers put blood and sweet on is a red flag on fire.

PhaseJump

Banned
Interesting that the first thing she does is playing the woman card. What does her gender have to do with anything she mentions in her rant?

Logically, it could have everything to do with it. The soul destroying aspect around the bad experience could be rooted in a juvenile behavior, or outright sexism.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

What is this lunacy? Cringe is an underestimation for those He/Him, They/Them motherfuckers.

Angry Ufc GIF

jimmypython

I am not commenting on the news story. After finishing both Ori games, I can say with certainty that I hated the chase sequences in both games, with passion. The second game was better but you can feel they just couldn’t resist the urge to put in those sequences.

Last edited:

Goalus

I am not commenting on the news story. After finishing both the Ori games, I can say with certainty that I hated the chase sequences in both games, with passion. The second game was better but you can feel they just couldn’t resist the urge to put in those sequences.
The chase sequences are one of the defining characteristics of the Ori games. I loved and still love them, even though I remember clearly how the "escape from Ginso tree" (the first one) caught me completely off guard and almost made me throw the controller against the wall like in the old days.

C2brixx

Fucked up, but not uncommon.
It may be, but if I'm running a business I'd want to know if this "person" I'm hiring is planning on doing something in the near term that would effect my business. If the interviewee was to require maternity leave within a year of being hired then I'm right back where I started. Looking for someone to do their job while they're out.

Lognor

Banned
It may be, but if I'm running a business I'd want to know if this "person" I'm hiring is planning on doing something in the near term that would effect my business. If the interviewee was to require maternity leave within a year of being hired then I'm right back where I started. Looking for someone to do their job while they're out.
Hopefully you're never in a position with the power to hire people.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

This thought process opens up a whole another can of worms. Here you're asking questions and scenarios that will specifically limit women from joining, and on the flip side some folks then go around and say "see, this field doesn't have that many women in the first place", yeah with questions like that, no shit.

Should we also be asking married men the same question if the company needs to offer a paternity leave for them ?

These kind of questions really don't have a place in the hiring process. If your place is not shite to work, you shouldn't have any issue finding a temp replacement for anyone going on maternity leave.

Last edited:

Tams

Gold Member
Isn't that a common thing in Japan?

Maybe my impression is wrong but I seem to hear really horrible things about the workplace in Japan.... maybe not screaming and shouting at people but just generally unpleasant-ness.
Wtf has this got to do with Japan?ñ

kingfey

Banned
I guess, you will need women to have birth control, if they want to work in your business then. Cuz, what you are suggesting here, is bat shit insane. Like women can control, when to have a baby.

Tams

Gold Member
This thought process opens up a whole another can of worms. Here you're asking questions and scenarios that will specifically limit women from joining, and on the flip side some folks then go around and say "see, this field doesn't have that many women in the first place", yeah with questions like that, no shit.

Should we also be asking married men the same question if the company needs to offer a paternity leave for them ?

These kind of questions really don't have a place in the hiring process. If your place is not shite to work, you shouldn't have any issue finding a temp replacement for anyone going on maternity leave.
The thing there is... people either skirt around it and try to find out using other questions, or just assume that women of childbearing age are likely to want to have children. And then perhaps not hire them, but use another reason for it.

And you can't prove the hiring company wrong as they can just use 'not a good fit' as a reason.

Isn't that understandable too? Employers want to know what is likely to affect their business. Maternity leave makes big dents in budgets and causes a lot of disruption. Of course it rightly is a legal right, so if you are employed, then you are entitled to it. And of course discrimination of race, sex, etc. is legally not allowed.

But there is also no right for you to be employed by a private company. If they don't want you, they don't want you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The thing there is... people either skirt around it and try to find out using other questions, or just assume that women of childbearing age are likely to want to have children. And then perhaps not hire them, but use another reason for it.

This CEO is straight up asking "hey iz you planning to pop out any babiez any time soon ?"

I don't think men generally get asked at interviews if they plan to have kids so the company can foresee paternity leaves for them.

You don't see any issue with hiring practices leading with questions like that ?

Isn't that understandable too? Employers want to know what is likely to affect their business. Maternity leave makes big dents in budgets and causes a lot of disruption. Of course it rightly is a legal right, so if you are employed, then you are entitled to it. And of course discrimination of race, sex, etc. is legally not allowed.

The US is only 'developed' first world country that doesn't offer a universal maternity program, if the program itself was a major source of loss for a revenue it wouldn't be widely adopted world wide.

Besides, in most companies you don't start getting benefits until you've been in there for a few months, especially in contract-to-hire jobs, or straight up contract jobs like most gaming companies tend to have anyway. Contract jobs in the wide majority of cases don't offer any benefits like this in the first place.

But there is also no right for you to be employed by a private company. If they don't want you, they don't want you.

Yeah, that's not what's being talked about here though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom