• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Xbox Co-creator Mocks Activision CEO Bobby Kotick After Now Being Bought By Microsoft

Draugoth

Gold Member
seamus-blackley-bobby-kotick-activision-guitar-here.webp

Seamus Blackley, the co-creator of the original Xbox, has taken to Twitter to mock Activision CEO Bobby Kotick.

Yesterday, after a pilgrimage of roughly 21 months, Microsoft finalized its merger with Activision-Blizzard-King, with Kotick remaining CEO of Activision through the end of this year. Much has been said about this heavily debated megadeal with Microsoft owning plenty of additional franchises, including Call of Duty, Spyro, Diablo, World of Warcraft, and the Guitar Hero franchise (which may be making a comeback). Shortly before Microsoft closed the deal yesterday, UK regulator CMA announced its approval of the merger. Following this decision, the co-creator of the original Xbox took to Twitter to mock Bobby Kotick for now being bought by Xbox, mentioning "karma".

"When we pitched Guitar Hero to Bobby, he told us nobody would ever stock it, and turned it down (only to buy it later!"

Blackley wrote on Twitter.

"I reminded him that he’d literally said that to me about Xbox only a few years before. He laughed."

The 'father' of Xbox added;

"Now he’s being bought by Xbox. Karma is a bitch."

It has to be said that this isn't the first time that Blackley called out Kotick on this matter. After his role at Microsoft, Blackley took a role at the Creative Artists Agency to represent video game creators. In that role, he pitched Guitar Hero to Activision. Back in 2021, Blackley already suggested that the Activision CEO turned down Guitar Hero to later purchase the publisher (RedOctane) who published the game. We've included a follow-up tweet on this matter from 2021 below:

Banjo64

cumsessed
This guy is coming across as a whiny bitch tbh. Pretty classless.

Man said something daft and then laughed when confronted with his prior daftness? Seems like a normal reaction to me? Did he expect Bobby to throw himself to the ground and beg for mercy?

And karma is a bitch? Man made $400m from this? He’s probably took a fat consultancy fee for his service until November also.

Last edited:

Hudo

How is "Karma a bitch" when Bobby managed to sell ABK, where only the "K" part is really functioning well, for $69 billion? From where I'm sitting, Bobby is the protagonist of the story, walking away with large sums of bonus money while his investors cheering him on from the side.
Microsoft now have the monumental task of unfucking Blizzard (if that's even possible) and trying to take care that at the least the Call of Duty pipeline keeps working (because that's the only thing that keeps the lights on over at the "A" part) and that the whole CoD IP doesn't vanish into obscurity like Halo is about to.

Last edited:
How is "Karma a bitch" when Bobby managed to sell ABK, where only the "K" part is really function well, for $69 billion? From where I'm sitting, Bobby is the protagonist of the story, walking away with large sums of bonus money while his investors cheering him on from the side.
Microsoft now have the monumental task of unfucking Blizzard (if that's even possible) and trying to take care that at the least the Call of Duty pipeline keeps working (because that's the only thing that keeps the lights on over at the "A" part) and that the whole CoD IP doesn't vanish into obscurity like Halo is about to.
Common Bobby W

nush

I was a key member of the GH team, every publisher turned it down except for Red Octane. When Activision brought Red Octane it was considered one of the most overpaid acquisitions of all time, until GHIII landed and suddenly it was considered one of the most shrewd acquisitions of all time. Funny that.

xBlueStonex

I was a key member of the GH team, every publisher turned it down except for Red Octane. When Activision brought Red Octane it was considered one of the most overpaid acquisitions of all time, until GHIII landed and suddenly it was considered one of the most shrewd acquisitions of all time. Funny that.
Please bring GH back. I will give you my first born in return.

kiphalfton

Was unaware who this guy is... but reading about him on Wikipedia he sounds smart as hell.

Bobbu on the other hand... he just sounds like he caught a lucky break, knew the right people, etc.

Last edited:

skit_data

Seamus seems like a very smart and inventive guy so it doesn't surprise me he had some of these ideas. But then again it seems many of his ideas are simply a little too ahead of its time. Case in point: my profile pic

Last edited:
Seamus seems like a very smart and inventive guy so it doesn't surprise me he had some of these ideas. But then again it seems many of his ideas are simply a little too ahead of its time. Case in point: my profile pic
I always wondered what your pfp is about? Dino Crisis? It's trippy af anyway.

Last edited:

skit_data

I always wondered what your pfp is about? Dino Crisis? It's trippy af anyway.
It's from Jurassic Park: Trespasser, the greatest game in the world!

Jokes aside it was a commercial flop and a huge letdown due to them having to get the game out the door. But some of the stuff Seamus Blackley and his team did and planned to do were way ahead of it's time.

There's also a great AVGN episode on Trespasser featuring Seamus Blackley:

I played it a lot as a kid (it was literally my first PC game experience and I was obsessed with dinosaurs). Back then it felt magical. Actually kinda impressed I even got it working on our computer back then because it was my dads work computer.

Last edited:
It's from Jurassic Park: Trespasser, the greatest game in the world!

Jokes aside it was a commercial flop and a huge letdown due to them having to get the game out the door. But some of the stuff Seamus Blackley and his team did and planned to do were way ahead of it's time.

There's also a great AVGN episode on Trespasser featuring Seamus Blackley:

I played it a lot as a kid (it was literally my first PC game experience and I was obsessed with dinosaurs). Back then it felt magical. Actually kinda impressed I even got it working on our computer back then because it was my dads work computer.

Some cool stuff there! Thanks for sharing, I'll def give the AVGN video on Trespasser a watch.

This guy is coming across as a whiny bitch tbh. Pretty classless.

Man said something daft and then laughed when confronted with his prior daftness? Seems like a normal reaction to me? Did he expect Bobby to throw himself to the ground and beg for mercy?

And karma is a bitch? Man made $400m from this? He’s probably took a fat consultancy fee for his service until November also.

Not to mention, Bobby was entirely right. Xbox HAS failed. And them buying AB is a last-ditch desperate attempt to keep Xbox alive through GP.

This clearly isn't the gotcha he thinks it is.

Last edited:
Top Bottom