• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Original Xbox designer Seamus Blackley on online abuse: ‘This isn’t the future of Xbox Live we envisioned’

nush

Gold Member
You're mom*

You are mom?

nnsns.gif

Urban

I’ve played Dota 2 and this is nothing for me.
But yeah , I think that they still should do something about it.
Sorry for her and me :)

it was always funny getting death threats sent to my inbox. one guy sent me a entire paragraph insulting me after a game of fifa. he was going to track me down and kill me! it was hilarious! this was like 8 years ago though. i dont play online anymore. if anyone does, whether male or female, shouldnt take it personally. its a guarantee that you will be verbally abused online. theres no real consequence, so people can show their uglier sides.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I like seamus blackly he seems like the most genuine guy at Xbox, I know here people likes to fawn over Phil Spencer but seamus doesn't give that car salesman that would sell his mother if he could feeling.

Should women not get pushback for appropriating online shooters, a traditional male safe space? You don't see me loading up zapos.com or whatever do you?

On a more serious note, everyone gets shit talked in these games. Xbox specifically is trash on enforcement mostly because they will ban you for using the wrong word in a text message no matter how much you were goaded into it, whether it's by text or voice (where you can obviously get away with basically anything at the moment). Banning anyone from games for this is stupid... escalating chat bans are really as far as it should ever go. And tools to quickly and efficiently block people you don't care to deal with.
Golden comment.
Bro you write "golden comment" now you gotta do the right thing and actually gift the guy a month of GAF Gold. Like... you can't just say "golden comment" and then his comment is the same dark theme gray as all the other comments on my screen.

This “crusade” is just another grift by a streamer to get more subscribers and money. Developers, stop simping for these women, they are never going to have sex with you.
Watching that clip this is exactly what I thought. She isn't bothered by the comments which were frankly tame compared to what I've heard even as a guy gaming in the 90s and 00s. She wants her face plastered all over these articles naming her and profiting from it. Honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if this was staged somehow because it comes off as really forced and lame compared to real verbal abuse.

Legit, Don't join a ranked match play shit and expect a happy outcome.

Nothing will change unless voice gets removed but then you have to ask yourself whats the point in team play if comms are no longer going to be a thing.

It comes down to people problems and XBL is one of the way people blow off that steam. It's like how people get rude to customer support. That shit will never stop same with XBL voice chat.

Wildebeest

If I play an online game, I am not being paid to humour your childish outbursts because it is your recreation time, and you feel you need to "blow off steam". I'm just another sucker playing the game like you.

Another thing is "content creators" and "streamers". I am not being paid to be content for your stream or social media platform, so stop trying to make me react, you annoying abdominal tick.

Last edited:
Shocking twist: talented inventors fail to grasp the basics of human nature, horrified to see what the world has done with their work.

How'd Tay workout, Microsoft?

It is what it is. I've been chewed out and cursed at online since I was a boy.
I can't think of any prior point of reference to predict how humas will behave in online gaming environments, and I don't think many envisaged the majority turning from mild mannered geeks into raging assholes. Not that I play online that much anymore. Or actually know anything.

FUBARx89

Who even plays in ingame chat these days? Party chat basically killed it.

It's pretty stupid she's ran off crying when she gets it, but doesn't do anything when she gives it.

Excess

If gaming really "levels the playing field" of the sexes, then men should stop thinking that women need help in situations like these. It only reinforces the stigma. This is true irony of every male-dominated industry, where women who do succeed are often much tougher and competent than any of their male counterparts.

Drewpee

Banned

Quote retweeting Australian streamer Grenade Queen, the developer said that “This wasn’t the future for @xbox live we envisioned.”

The original clip, which has been viewed over 400 thousand times, shows Grenade Queen playing a match of Halo Infinite while two unnamed teammates hurl abuse towards her, saying that the game “isn’t for her” and that she should “go play Valorant or something and get two kills”.

He goes on to say: “I know this isn’t new. I know you’re angry because nothing has been done for a long time. You’re right. It only motivates me more. It’s possible to clean these environments up. Let’s do it.”

I have two young daughters just getting into gaming and I am legit worried about what their experience will be if I let them chat and play online. This type of interaction is exactly what I expect, which is sad and makes me angry as a father.

This type of shit needs to stop and the idiots going after her are the reason we have "wokeness" as a concept. This behavior needs to be called out and changed.

Last edited:

Herr Edgy

I remember getting chewed out playing PC Rainbow 6 back in the day.

I disagree. the problem was removing dedicated servers. Playing with the same regulars is what was fun back in the day on PC. They removed all that with match making.

It was the best type of match making because you were able to pick and choose how you wanted to play. You knew what you were getting into and who you were playing with. Your solution is harsh and hurts everyone. With servers abusive people all played together and if you didn't like it you could just go somewhere else. A federated decentralized system. Instead of one size fits all.
Nitpicking here but dedicated servers are still used and have nothing to do with what you actually mean. You are simply thinking of a lobby-based match system. And I agree, those were great.
I used to mainly play S4 League (a PC game) many years ago, led a clan as well. The community was what kept me and all the others playing for years. You just knew tons of people, some lobbies were absolutely great and offered a more consistent match style because players would possibly remain for multiple games. Choosing your own rules as made possible by the game was great too. Want to play a different map? Just ask what people want to play, let the room master change it. There was no voice chat, but an all-chat that was the default communication channel (as opposed to a team-chat which was available as well).
Players would self-moderate if necessary. Sure, there were feuds between certain people, clans or ex-e-couples, but those made for an amazing time too.

There is a place for automatic or skill-based match making, such as competitive games/modes à la Dota 2, CSGO, League of Legends, Hearthstone, Siege and so on, but for more easy-fun-oriented games I think the lobby system should remain the primary tool, with some quick join feature for people who quickly want to get into the deeps.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Watching that clip this is exactly what I thought. She isn't bothered by the comments which were frankly tame compared to what I've heard even as a guy gaming in the 90s and 00s. She wants her face plastered all over these articles naming her and profiting from it. Honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if this was staged somehow because it comes off as really forced and lame compared to real verbal abuse.
I agree I've heard tons of abuse online and no matter how hard they try to sound tough you can always notice their unstable emotional state. This just sounds fake.

I have two young daughters just getting into gaming and I am legit worried about what their experience will be if I let them chat and play online. This type of interaction is exactly what I expect, which is sad and makes me angry as a father.

This type of shit needs to stop and the idiots going after her are the reason we have "wokeness" as a concept. This shit needs to be called out and changed.
It cannot and will never stop so do what every responsible father of a boy or girl should do and disable voice chat with randoms. Also supervise your children while gaming often, don't expect their gaming device to do you parenting duties.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I can't think of any prior point of reference to predict how humas will behave in online gaming environments, and I don't think many envisaged the majority turning from mild mannered geeks into raging assholes. Not that I play online that much anymore. Or actually know anything.
I cannot disagree hard enough. We've known what would happen well before XBL was born.

cormack12

Gold Member
Small dick and virgin jokes aw shit man we better call the Xbox Live police :messenger_tears_of_joy: Pretty basic retort but fair play to her.

She needs to get on this chicks level:

Legend. That's how you adapt. Either you ignore it or participate, there is no way to eradicate this. If you can't eradicate real life bullying, how the fuck are you gonna solve this. Everyone's options are the same, play with friends or mute chat. Guys or girls, everyone gets shit.

I have two young daughters just getting into gaming and I am legit worried about what their experience will be if I let them chat and play online.

Would you send your two young daughters out to play with a bunch of random people of any age in the street? No, why is this any different? They play with friends only, until they are old enough to play with strangers.

fart town usa

Gold Member
For me it always seemed like PVP was just the worst in terms of people being toxic. Coop modes seemed much more friendly.

The only online mode I ever put much time into was Resistance 2 coop and people on there were super chill and friendly. That was such a fun mode, super easy and mindless but it was damn fun all the same.

I think a potential solution would be focusing more on coop than PVP deathmatch.

Drewpee

Banned
It cannot and will never stop so do what every responsible father of a boy or girl should do and disable voice chat with randoms. Also supervise your children while gaming often, don't expect their gaming device to do you parenting duties.
To insinuate that parents aren't watching their kids play videogames because we don't want to worry about abuse is an ignorant viewpoint and an easy cop out. Of course I watch what my children play, that's not the point. Parents shouldn't have to worry about their kids being abused online because they want to talk to people on Roblox.

"It cannot and will never stop" is an easy answer but not true. There are solutions to everything, its just a matter of how far Xbox wants to push the issue.

Would you send your two young daughters out to play with a bunch of random people of any age in the street? No, why is this any different? They play with friends only, until they are old enough to play with strangers.
The video is a grown woman being abused while playing a game, but you think if I just disable chat while they are kids that fixes the problem? Again, just complete ignorance of the actual issue.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
To insinuate that parents aren't watching their kids play videogames because we don't want to worry about abuse is an ignorant viewpoint and an easy cop out. Of course I watch what my children play, that's not the point. Parents shouldn't have to worry about their kids being abused online because they want to talk to people on Roblox.

"It cannot and will never stop" is an easy answer but not true. There are solutions to everything, its just a matter of how far Xbox wants to push the issue.

The video is a grown woman being abused while playing a game, but you think if I just disable chat while they are kids that fixes the problem? Again, just complete ignorance of the actual issue.

Literally every single person here, on this forum, has dealt with "internet abuse". Many from a young age. If a parent fails to teach their kids to grow thicker skin, to report, block/mute, and move on then that is on them.

Verbal abuse/harassment will always be a thing. Every attempt to "fix" it has failed and will continue to do so. There is only one real way to deal with it and that is to not let it get to you. If you fail to do that, then you shouldn't be playing online games to begin with.

Drewpee

Banned
Literally every single person here, on this forum, has dealt with "internet abuse". Many from a young age. If a parent fails to teach their kids to grow thicker skin, to report, block/mute, and move on then that is on them.

Verbal abuse/harassment will always be a thing. Every attempt to "fix" it has failed and will continue to do so. There is only one real way to deal with it and that is to not let it get to you. If you fail to do that, then you shouldn't be playing online games to begin with.
Thanks for reminding me I am on neogaf, should never expect to have a mature conversation about anything on here.

Your totes right bro, people just need to grow thicker skin and ignore all the hatred and venom spewed their way for having the fuckin audacity to play a game online. Who do they think they are?

It fixes the problem for your kids though, doesn’t it? I mean that’s what you were talking about. but go on, let your kids play with strangers then cry about it on Twitter because muting doesn’t fix the problem, maybe MS will retweet it.

I cannot disagree hard enough. We've known what would happen well before XBL was born.
Well maybe you're right re: XBL. I was more referencing the birth of voice communication during online gaming and prior references to predict how people would behave. It just seems things have gotten a little more toxic than it was say 20 years ago. Not that I've had any abuse aside from someone calling me shit at Rocket League, however to be fair they did have a point...

Last edited:

Drewpee

Banned
It fixes the problem for your kids though, doesn’t it? I mean that’s what you were talking about. but go on, let your kids play with strangers then cry about it on Twitter because muting doesn’t fix the problem, maybe MS will retweet it.
Totes right bro, sure does fix the problem.

Don't know why I tried lol

recursive

This is aimed at Seamus Blakely I'm guessing?

Yeah I mean people have been doing unsportsmanly things and talking shit for decades on these type of games. Not sure what he was expecting now.

Me personally I don't talk shit to teammates who are doing poorly in CoD matches because what would that achieve other than put them off the game. I just try to win the game in spite of that. Sportsmanship is a thing in competitions. Football players don't go teabagging or hurling abuse at teammates/others after winning or losing a match. Don't see why that can't apply to games.
Did you play sports? There is a ton of shit talking on the field. I experienced it playing basketball, hockey and soccer. At least in a video game you can just leave the lobby if you can't take it.

I don't understand why women are special with this stuff and need coddling. Lets make a point to coddle everyone. Men get trash talked all the time online too. Apparently my mom really gets around.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Xbox Live's biggest's concern isn't the trash talk, you should know that's coming when entering any online outlet. That's my only response.

splattered

I think general competitive bickering/insults are fine and expected... it's the overly sexist or racist shit that bothers me.

JackSparr0w

Banned

I guess you missed the clip of that exact grown-ass woman abusing a guy? It is the nature of of online interactions during competitive games and it will never change.

I hope you teach your children accountability and responsibility and not drama attention seeking and playing the damsel.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I don't want my kid to talk to other people in online games, the same way as I don't want them to talk against strangers at playgrounds. Just disable that shit, disable friend requests, disable everything. If they want to talk, they can set up a private chat with friends.

Predators roam around playgrounds, and in this digital age they found their way into online games and chat rooms. Its just a fact, and there are ways to at least minimize the risk.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Thanks for reminding me I am on neogaf, should never expect to have a mature conversation about anything on here.

Your totes right bro, people just need to grow thicker skin and ignore all the hatred and venom spewed their way for having the fuckin audacity to play a game online. Who do they think they are?

Thanks for reminding me of mentally maladjusted folks demanding game companies do their parenting for them.

Nothing you have stated is a "mature discussion". Its you talking down to people demanding that things cowtow to how *you* want them. You ignore historical precedent to push your own views of reality as if that means anything.

Guess what? People are mean. They are rude. They will swear and insult for no other reason than to goad people. Its best a kid learns and deals with that sooner than expecting people to suddenly change their natures.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I don't want my kid to talk to other people in online games, the same way as I don't want them to talk against strangers at playgrounds. Just disable that shit, disable friend requests, disable everything. If they want to talk, they can set up a private chat with friends.

Predators roam around playgrounds, and in this digital age they found their way into online games and chat rooms. Its just a fact, and there are ways to at least minimize the risk.
Same. The problem is exacerbated by the inclusion of a mic in every ps5 controller. They are enabled by default too. Muting everyone is virtually impossible because cod lobbies are split up after every game and you need to manually mute them every game.

I thought the ps4 era with party chats becoming the norm fixed online abuse since you only played with people you knew but I’m starting to see random chats making a comeback because now everyone has a mic.

Drewpee

Banned
Thanks for reminding me of mentally maladjusted folks demanding game companies do their parenting for them.

Nothing you have stated is a "mature discussion". Its you talking down to people demanding that things cowtow to how *you* want them. You ignore historical precedent to push your own views of reality as if that means anything.

Guess what? People are mean. They are rude. They will swear and insult for no other reason than to goad people. Its best a kid learns and deals with that sooner than expecting people to suddenly change their natures.
Totes right bro, people just need to suck it up and learn to be ok with being verbally assaulted online, its human nature right? That's why when you walk the street people are hurling hateful insults at you constantly, right?

Just to be clear, I came here with 0 demands about anything. I saw a post and thought I'd share my perspective as a parent of young daughters that will be dealing with this shit. I was curious to see others perspective. The responses are basically "be a better parent, suck it up, people are mean, they need to deal with it, MALADJUSTED human" (guarantee you have never used that word a day in your life outside of this conversation lol).

It was a mistake on my part for thinking this is the place for that type of discussion so I apologize for offending your eyes with the thought that maybe we can be better and not so hateful toward eachother.

Drewpee

Banned
I guess you missed the clip of that exact grown-ass woman abusing a guy? It is the nature of of online interactions during competitive games and it will never change.

I hope you teach your children accountability and responsibility and not drama attention seeking and playing the damsel.
I saw that after I made the first post and the shit she says is equally as hateful and unnecessary. My children will never speak that way online, guaranteed. If they do they will not be online for long.

We are not a hateful family and I expect the same behavior from them regardless of how they interact with other people.

Top Bottom