• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Origins of Metroid: Pre-NES

From a 1937 literature fiction, could this be the inspiration for Samus? It's Gerry Carlyle from Interplanetary Hunter by Arthur K. Barnes.

gerry1.jpg

14782005933.jpg

"Gerry, being an androgynous name, enables a major theme running through the original books: the masked gender reveal."

remake__gerry_carlyle_by_paulsizer.jpg

I wrote this years ago. https://truthspacer.wordpress.com/2...s-is-a-grappling-hook-length-older-than-that/

amigastar

Everyone takes inspiration from someone other and improves on it, so yeah Metroid for sure had it's origins in earlier sci fi.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Metroid was inspired by Alien and Samus was based on the roles played by Sigourney Weaver(Alien Franchise) and Kim Basinger(9 1/2 Weeks and My Stepmother is an Alien).

Nice try though.
Metroid was probably also inspired by 1985 Namco's Baraduke.(Nintendo did the same with Pac Land who inspired Super Mario Bros one year earlier)

And of course, Baraduke was probably inspired by Alien and, Barbarella and Barne... 😁
BWpUAqs.png

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
My fellow Metroid fans... ❤️
You should watch these two videos.

Very interesting stuff! :)

Thanks for the thread and cool info, apple_of_enlightenment apple_of_enlightenment !

Holy shit ! She's right, i didn't realize there was so many Cobra inspirations in Metroid. She's right, this is the number one inspiration by far... And Nintendo who stole Rare's ideas for Zelda, Metroid and more lol. As a kid i thought Rare's output were just pretty Nintendo game's clones.In fact, the reality is more : Nintendo's output are just Rare games ugly ripp offs 😆

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
Metroid was inspired by Alien and Samus was based on the roles played by Sigourney Weaver(Alien Franchise) and Kim Basinger(9 1/2 Weeks and My Stepmother is an Alien).

Nice try though.
With these old games the simplest explanation is usually true. Link is Robin Hood.

Top Bottom