• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Isaac Gives Update on Metal Gear Solid Movie

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
escape from new york film GIF

RaduN

So many people here, self entitled "fans" even, don't comprehend that MGS's narrative/setting/characters are not just about some cutscenes, that you can film with actors...and voila: MGS movie.
It's fucking sad that some play these wonderful, unique games and get almost nothing out of them 🙄

wipeout364

Hopefully it will be better than Moon Knight, one very disappointing series. I don’t blame Oscar Isaac for that as I am sure it was likely Disney meddling to make it more like every other series they make.

MHubert

You don’t think Uncharted would have been a better movie if it followed the source material?

Or the Dragonball movie?

Directors deviating away from the source material only brings issues, see Game of Thrones. Harry Potter would have also been crap if they decided to do their own thing.
Source material doesn't necessarily translate into a properly paced 2 hour movie, regardless of quality. If you translated the cutscenes from mgs to live action 1:1 I can assure you it would bomb... hard.

Toons

Banned
Wait to see how the Mario movie does. Throw him in the after cresits leading up to smash bros.

Im only half joking.

UnNamed

Banned
It seems they have a fu***ng nothing. Someone has chosen the actor before any script, any producer, any director. I wonder if there is someone who have no clue of how to make a movie.

SoraNoKuni

I see Konami announcing that thing alongside more projects, remake and new entry as they did with SH.
Pachinko business didn't pay off I guess.

bitbydeath

Source material doesn't necessarily translate into a properly paced 2 hour movie, regardless of quality. If you translated the cutscenes from mgs to live action 1:1 I can assure you it would bomb... hard.
I’m not sure if you’re meaning the lines or the story? The story translated 1:1 would absolutely not bomb.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
“Here’s nothing Be excited.” 😐

All they need is a movie that says la le lu li lo. And no Nukes.

MHubert

I’m not sure if you’re meaning the lines or the story? The story translated 1:1 would absolutely not bomb.
In my mind a 1:1 adaption is every line (or most of them at least) and story beats from the game presented in a live action format. Im a huge mgs fan, and I think the pacing works well for a videogame, but I'm having a very hard time seeing that same pacing translated well to the big screen. Different medium, different rules to the craft. Also, since mgs has such a monologue driven story, I can't see how you could translate the story 1:1 without keeping most of the lines.

Here's some immidiate problems from the top of my mind:
  • A lot of story (if not most) is exposed through codec segments - how would you include something similar without boring the audience?
  • Much of the story pacing works well in the game because the player gets a break from the story to sneak around and well.. play a game (this is a fundamental difference in how games and movies establishes setup and payoff respectively) - How would you fill in these gaps in a movie?
  • Most of the game is spent basically going from a-b, which is the games' way of justifying it's story beats and exposition - how much time of a lets say 2 hour movie should be spent on transport scenes?
Then there a all kinds of problems related to how full on exposition works in a game (That's basically how most of the story in mgs is conveyed) but obviously wouldn't work in the movie format.

The answers to the above problems is to not make a 1:1 adaption of the game, but to make some very creative script writers restructure the pacing so it will fit in a 2-hour movie format, and having a proper director that gets the mgs that lies beyond all the exposition.

bitbydeath

In my mind a 1:1 adaption is every line (or most of them at least) and story beats from the game presented in a live action format. Im a huge mgs fan, and I think the pacing works well for a videogame, but I'm having a very hard time seeing that same pacing translated well to the big screen. Different medium, different rules to the craft. Also, since mgs has such a monologue driven story, I can't see how you could translate the story 1:1 without keeping most of the lines.

Here's some immidiate problems from the top of my mind:
  • A lot of story (if not most) is exposed through codec segments - how would you include something similar without boring the audience?
  • Much of the story pacing works well in the game because the player gets a break from the story to sneak around and well.. play a game (this is a fundamental difference in how games and movies establishes setup and payoff respectively) - How would you fill in these gaps in a movie?
  • Most of the game is spent basically going from a-b, which is the games' way of justifying it's story beats and exposition - how much time of a lets say 2 hour movie should be spent on transport scenes?
Then there a all kinds of problems related to how full on exposition works in a game (That's basically how most of the story in mgs is conveyed) but obviously wouldn't work in the movie format.

The answers to the above problems is to not make a 1:1 adaption of the game, but to make some very creative script writers restructure the pacing so it will fit in a 2-hour movie format, and having a proper director that gets the mgs that lies beyond all the exposition.
The way I see it:

Codecs - Would be conversation through ear pieces, they don’t need to go on forever like in the game, but instead cover all the important story beats.

Pacing - It’s not all action, there are slow parts such as when you find Emmett and rescue Meyrl. Not to mention, the codecs.

Transport scenes - The opening scene where he takes out guards and gets in through a vent could be done in 5 mins. There’s no need to give a run around/restart the scene as you may do in the game. If you check out YouTube you can see speedruns going as low as 30mins.

MHubert

The way I see it:

Codecs - Would be conversation through ear pieces, they don’t need to go on forever like in the game, but instead cover all the important story beats.

Pacing - It’s not all action, there are slow parts such as when you find Emmett and rescue Meyrl. Not to mention, the codecs.

Transport scenes - The opening scene where he takes out guards and gets in through a vent could be done in 5 mins. There’s no need to give a run around/restart the scene as you may do in the game. If you check out YouTube you can see speedruns going as low as 30mins.
Ok ill give three back:

How would the codec bit work again, exactly? As a sound layer on top of what? We are talking hours of monologue that should ideally be condensed to a few mins.

Slow parts and action doesn't make the difference. My point is that besides transport segments the game doesn't have a lot to work with. It's meant as a 15 or so hour experience.

well 5 mins. is quite a lot actually. Now what happens afterwards? There are many segments like this in the game, and you cant redo taking out guards and crawling through vents over and over. That's my point regarding pacing that works in a game but wouldn't work in a movie.

luij81

Banned
If there's a game based movie that screams it will most likely be a flop, it's MGS. I know some people believe its source 'cinematic' material would be easily translated to the big screen, but MGS is cheesy as hell, full of exposition and really bad dialogues. This just doesn't fit good cinema (it never did).

And don't get me wrong. Young me loved MGS. But after I casually decided to rewatch some sequences of MGS2 a few months ago, I felt kindda embarassed for myself. Super cringe. I mean, see it for yourselves. Look it up for sequences that introduce Vamp, Fortune or Solidus (those were the ones I rewatched).

bitbydeath

Ok ill give three back:

How would the codec bit work again, exactly? As a sound layer on top of what? We are talking hours of monologue that should ideally be condensed to a few mins.

Slow parts and action doesn't make the difference. My point is that besides transport segments the game doesn't have a lot to work with. It's meant as a 15 or so hour experience.

well 5 mins. is quite a lot actually. Now what happens afterwards? There are many segments like this in the game, and you cant redo taking out guards and crawling through vents over and over. That's my point regarding pacing that works in a game but wouldn't work in a movie.
Codecs would work how they work in every other film. Snake talks, you hear the person on the other side talk back, it doesn’t need to be complicated.

By transport are you meaning the action scenes? Taking out guards while going from A-B? They’re also standard in every action movie.

What happens after getting inside? From memory it was straight to the cells through the vents.

I think you’re overthinking it, and not seeing any problems that can’t be easily translated.

Maybe something like The Running Man would be a better example to understand how boss fights and action/transport scenes work? It’s a really fun movie if you’ve never seen it before.

RaduN

Sper cringe. I mean, see it for yourselves. Look it up for sequences that introduce Vamp, Fortune or Solidus (those were the ones I rewatched).
I'm replaying MGS2: Sons of Liberty as we speak ...after so many years (damn time flies 😌).
I got to say that it is just as revolutionary and mind blowing, in every aspect, including cinematography, as it was day 1, back in 02.
The Fortune introduction is one of the best pieces of cinematography ever created in gaming (i know...big words) and i'm not even talking recent movies, as Hollywood went down the drain long ago.

That scene is brimming with style and mistery and a strange sense of dread, that is simply and utterly outstanding.

MGS is an incredibly self-aware series of goofy vs serious, tradition vs post modern, action vs drama elements, married in ways that are indeed downright impossible to translate into another storytelling medium... like movies, but only because its gargantuan complexity (big words again) and unprecedented reliance on player's involvement.

I predict in 10 years we will see a shift in major blockbusters from comic-book-based to anime/videogame adaptations.
I could see it happening.

We do superhero movies because people grew up with comics. It's partly a nostalgia/familiarity thing, also because the stories are already at least partly written.

It only makes sense that they move to videogame adaptations if they ever get the blueprint right, we grew up with it after all, they are known IP. And I shiver to think about that.

Last edited:

MHubert

Codecs would work how they work in every other film. Snake talks, you hear the person on the other side talk back, it doesn’t need to be complicated.

By transport are you meaning the action scenes? Taking out guards while going from A-B? They’re also standard in every action movie.

What happens after getting inside? From memory it was straight to the cells through the vents.

I think you’re overthinking it, and not seeing any problems that can’t be easily translated.

Maybe something like The Running Man would be a better example to understand how boss fights and action/transport scenes work? It’s a really fun movie if you’ve never seen it before.
I mean transport as in snake goes from a-b, not necesarrily including action, it's more the way that in the game the dramatic sequences are justified by passages of time where the player is in control, which is something you cannot really translate well to a movie without it becoming boring. Remember, in movies you cannot keep repeating sequences like you can in the videogame format. This interests me, or makes me overthink it I guess, because making mgs1 into a movie is something I have pondered a great deal. As I said, big fan of the games. Nonetheless, I personally wouldn't hesitate a second watching such a movie should it ever materialize.

I actually haven't seen running man yet, thanks for the tip, will give it a watch with your notions in mind.

luij81

Banned
I'm replaying MGS2: Sons of Liberty as we speak ...after so many years (damn time flies 😌).
I got to say that it is just as revolutionary and mind blowing, in every aspect, including cinematography, as it was day 1, back in 02.
The Fortune introduction is one of the best pieces of cinematography ever created in gaming (i know...big words) and i'm not even talking recent movies, as Hollywood went down the drain long ago.

That scene is brimming with style and mistery and a strange sense of dread, that is simply and utterly outstanding.

MGS is an incredibly self-aware series of goofy vs serious, tradition vs post modern, action vs drama elements, married in ways that are indeed downright impossible to translate into another storytelling medium... like movies, but only because its gargantuan complexity (big words again) and unprecedented reliance on player's involvement.
Yeah, right. That's one way to see it...

I see Konami announcing that thing alongside more projects, remake and new entry as they did with SH.
Pachinko business didn't pay off I guess.

Despite how we feel, Konami's stock has more than doubled since the release of Metal Gear Solid 5.

Sometimes companies pivot from the industries we appreciated them in. It happens, it ultimately comes down to their business interests.

AAA gaming is VERY volatile and Japan hasn't proven to be very consistent here.

Konami saw how successful Capcom has been with the Resident Evil remakes and they want a bite at that apple too, but note that they outsourced development to a Polish devstudio (and not a particularly good one) rather than do it in-house which they probably no longer have the capability to or even to another Japanese studio.

It isn't a coincidence that Sony closed their Japan Studio. What that means is that it was no longer worth recruiting the talent pool in the area to keep the studio alive with more and more developers focusing on mobile game development. The increasing cost of games, the reduction of sales for console games in the region, and the diminishing talent pool... it's a bad combination for AAA gaming.

PhaseJump

Banned

(Big words.) Big, superfluous, self referencing, fart sniffing words.

soprano-get-the-fuck-outta-here.gif

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Solid Snake is closing in on the whereabouts of Metal Gear when suddenly his equipment begins acting up. Not long after, his codec transmission is mysteriously intercepted by an agency claiming to offer assistance.

Top Bottom