• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2023: Full List of Nominees Revealed

Draugoth

Gold Member
oscars-main-nominations.jpg

Best Picture

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

Actor in a Leading Role

Austin Butler
Colin Farrell
Brendan Fraser
Paul Mescal
Bill Nye

Actress in a Leading Role

Cate Blanchett
Ana de Armas
Andrea Riseborough
Michelle Williams
Michelle Yeoh

Directing

Martin McDonagh
Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
Steven Spielberg
Todd Field
Ruben Ostlund

Actor in a Supporting Role

Brendan Gleeson
Brian Tyree Henry
Judd Hirsch
Barry Keoghan
Ke Huy Quan

Actress in a Supporting Role

Angela Bassett
Hong Chau
Kerry Condon
Jamie Lee Curtis
Stephanie Hsu

Animated Feature Film

Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Puss In Boots
The Sea Beast
Turning Red

Documentary Feature Film

All That Breathes
All The Beauty and the Bloodshed
Fire of Love
A House Made of Splinters
Navalny

International Feature Film

Argentina, 1985
Close
EO
The Quiet One

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Living
Women Talking

Writing (Original Screenplay)

The Fabelmans
Tár
Triangle of Sadness

Cinematography

Bardo
Elvis
Empire of Light
Tár

Film Editing

Elvis
Tár

Music (Original Score)

Babylon
The Fabelmans

Music (Original Song)

Applause
Hold My Hand
Lift Me Up
Naatu Naatu
This Is A Life

Production Design

Babylon
Elvis
The Fabelmans

Costume Design

Babylon
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Elvis
Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris

Makeup and Hairstyling

All Quiet
The Batman
Black Panther
Elvis
The Whale

Live Action Short Film

An Irish Goodbye
Ivalu
Le Pupille
Night Ride
The Red Suitcase

Documentary Short Film

The Elephant Whisperers
Haulout
How Do You Measure a Year
Stranger at the Gate

Animated Short Film

The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse
The Flying Sailor
Ice Merchants
My Year of Dicks
An Ostrich Told Me the World is Fake and I Think I Believe It

Sound

The Batman
Elvis

Visual Effects

The Batman
Black Panther

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Is Ana de Armas nonimated because of Blonde? Because that movie also got 8 Razzie nominations.

I'm hearing a lot about Tár all of a sudden, kinda came out of nowhere for me. I should look into that.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'll be over the moon if a movie with hot dog fingers, a shit raccoon puppet and butt plugs wins some Oscars. It really deserves it. Movie of the year.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is Ana de Armas nonimated because of Blonde? Because that movie also got 8 Razzie nominations.

Right, but not worst actress. Can still have great performances in shit movies.

SJRB

Gold Member
Right, but not worst actress. Can still have great performances in shit movies.

O, I know. I think it's amazing that Blonde got shredded by critics and viewers alike, got 8 razzie nominations but Ana de Armas still gets an Oscar nomination.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TOP GUN MAVERICK

For the sake of Hollywood as an industry.
Yeah. It's good to see big blockbusters like Avatar and Maverick get nominated again. Oscars in the 2010s became way too indie heavy. It's time to embrace big epics again. Or they will lose the audience.

Corpsepyre

Banned
If The Power of the Dog and Avatar can get Best Pic noms, then The Batman sure as fuck can as well. Sucks it got shut out in Best cinematography and score as well.

Tieno

I'm rooting for everyone and everything related to "Everything Everywhere All At Once"
I'm hoping to catch it again in cinema's.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Yeah. It's good to see big blockbusters like Avatar and Maverick get nominated again. Oscars in the 2010s became way too indie heavy. It's time to embrace big epics again. Or they will lose the audience.
What epics? Hollywood blockbusters have nothing that qualify them for Oscars besides of special effects any more. Big movies barely have good scripts or acting any more.

Kerry Condon in Banshees of Inisherin was lovely 😍. Biased because I haven't seen the movies for the other Supporting Actresses, but I hope she wins.

I knew I'd seen her before but couldn't place it. Turns out she's Mike Ehrmantrauts's daughter in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, where she plays a thankless and forgettable role, imo. Goes to show how much the material matters.

Dural

Was hoping Vengeance would get some nominations, best original screenplay and maybe supporting actor. Of course The Fabelmans gets nominated, as does Spielberg. The whole thing is such a fucking joke.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Its honestly embarrassing how badly they fucking disrespect the Horror genre.

Really no best actress nomination for Mia Goth in Pearl? With THAT performance? If you havent seen Pearl, give it a watch.

She performed the best monologue I've witnessed in over a decade in Pearl.

Toni Colette should have got a nom for Hereditary. I'd argue Florence Pugh should have got a nom for Midsommar. But nope. Horror doesn't exist to these biased fucks.

People cried rivers when The Dark Knight got snubbed, since then theres been dozens of comic book movie nominations. But horror actors have been getting snubbed ever since The exorcist still to this day.

Last edited:

Doom85

Really no best actress nomination for Mia Goth in Pearl? With THAT performance? If you havent seen Pearl, give it a watch.

Toni Colette should have got a nom for Hereditary. I'd argue Florence Pugh should have got a nom for Midsommar. But nope. Horror doesn't exist to these biased fucks.

People cried rivers when The Dark Knight got snubbed, since then theres been dozens of comic book movie nominations. But horror actors have been getting snubbed ever since The exorcist still to this day.

Hopefully she’ll get nominations in other awards shows, I know Toni Colette and Hereditary got plenty of nominations and a few wins outside of the Oscars and Golden Globes.

Yeah, I’ve seen quite a few people react to Hereditary years after its release and when the dinner scene starts, some of them go, ”oh, I think this is the dinner scene everyone talks about”. That alone speaks volumes of how incredible a performance she gave. Not to say the other two actors weren’t great as well, but Colette definitely stole the show in that film.

Side note: how is merely being a sequel qualify one as “adapted screenplay”? Top Gun and Glass Onion should be in the original screenplay category, not adapted. Adapted should mean the screenplay is based on an existing source material. A sequel isn’t necessarily doing that, it’s merely following a prior film but is still an original screenplay in terms of the story it’s telling in the sequel.

Bragr

Banned
Brendan Frasier gonna win it for the sentimentality value, Hollywood always gives handicaps to stuff like that.

Bragr

Banned

That's because horror movies are the easiest to make in the industry and they just copy each other over and over. They are simple and for teenagers. No serious awards show gonna give awards to horror movies.

Chiggs

These noms look like a sad attempt to get people to give a shit about the Oscars. I really enjoyed Avatar 2 and Top Gun Maverick, but there's no way they would allow this to win.

Like it or not, bud...those are the movies people are actually seeing.

Last edited:

Winter John

Kerry Condon in Banshees of Inisherin was lovely 😍. Biased because I haven't seen the movies for the other Supporting Actresses, but I hope she wins.

I knew I'd seen her before but couldn't place it. Turns out she's Mike Ehrmantrauts's daughter in Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul, where she plays a thankless and forgettable role, imo. Goes to show how much the material matters.
Thankless and forgettable? Stacey and Mike's grandkid are central to his character. They're the key to his past and make him more sympathetic. It's through them we find out about his past, and see him dealing with his grief. One of the show's major moments is when he's forced to abandon Kaylee. Without those characters Mike would never have become a fan favorite.

Thankless and forgettable? Stacey and Mike's grandkid are central to his character. They're the key to his past and make him more sympathetic. It's through them we find out about his past, and see him dealing with his grief. One of the show's major moments is when he's forced to abandon Kaylee. Without those characters Mike would never have become a fan favorite.
To each their own. I vaguely remember Kerry's character as a stick-in-the-mud who gives Murder Grandpa a bunch of flack. Let him do his thing, Kerry, geez

Billbofet

Like it or not, bud...those are the movies people are actually seeing.
Oh, I totally agree. In fact, I enjoyed Top Gun Maverick more than any other movie this entire year. I'm just saying that it's extremely rare that a highly entertaining action movie would win over the other selections.
I would honestly love to see it win.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I never understood how a movie could be nominated for both foreign and domestic best movie. Nothing against the movie itself, it was OK I guess, never cared much for the leads but the war scenes were pretty cool.

I think Avatar or Top Gun should win best picture, although it usually doesn’t go to movies that do tremendously well in the box office. Last ones were LOTR, Titanic?

But objectively speaking, and not the Academy definition (whatever the hell they think it is), Top Gun and Avatar were actually the “best pictures” of the year. Everything else on the list is cute, definitely deserve recognition (altho I didn’t get the hype for everything everywhere). But these I’d argue were also the most important releases this year and were actually very good/deserving.

I did not like Elvis, such a boring movie. Hopefully it doesn’t win anything

Last edited:

Chiggs

I think Avatar or Top Gun should win best picture, although it usually doesn’t go to movies that do tremendously well in the box office. Last ones were LOTR, Titanic?

But objectively speaking, and not the Academy definition (whatever the hell they think it is), Top Gun and Avatar were actually the “best pictures” of the year. Everything else on the list is cute, definitely deserve recognition (altho I didn’t get the hype for everything everywhere). But these I’d argue these were also the most important releases this year and were actually very good/deserving.

I did not like Elvis, such a boring movie. Hopefully it doesn’t win anything

I think Top Gun: Maverick will win. It’s knives out for Cameron, and his peers shunning him from the DGA is all the proof I need to see of that.

Success has its downsides.

Last edited:
I think Top Gun: Maverick will win. It’s knives out for Cameron, and his peers shunning him from the DGA is all the proof I need to see of that.

Success has its downsides.
It's definitely lonely at the top. Top Gun would still be great, I kind of doubt it wins though.

Jaybe

Feels like there isn’t a shoe-in this year for the major categories. Hope Brendan gets the nod for Actor. I might try and catch Bill Nighy’s Living this week while it’s playing near me.

Top Bottom