• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscar Nominations 2023: Full List of Nominees Revealed

Hugare

That's because horror movies are the easiest to make in the industry and they just copy each other over and over. They are simple and for teenagers. No serious awards show gonna give awards to horror movies.
I didnt enjoy Pearl, but Hereditary, The Lighthouse, The Witch, Midsommar and many others are more original and better executed than 90% of the shit you see being nominated for Best Picture

Just saying

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope Ana de Armas wins (though I doubt) so it can give a big fuck you to the internet crazies. I thought she was great in Blonde.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

WTF? She identifies as Asia?

Sorry but the article is correct. Merle Oberon was the first Asian nominee but never divulged her ancestry, thus why Michelle Yeoh IS the first person Asian identified person to be nominated.

Winter John

To each their own. I vaguely remember Kerry's character as a stick-in-the-mud who gives Murder Grandpa a bunch of flack. Let him do his thing, Kerry, geez
At the beginning she was wary of him because he showed up on her door out of nowhere. The only times she criticised him was when he lost his shit snd shouted at his grand daughter. She wouldn’t let him visit because he’d scared the kid. Then the real story about his involvement in his son’s death came out and obviously she wasn’t happy about that, but she forgave him. Compared to the rest of the women in BB, she was pretty much a saint.

At the beginning she was wary of him because he showed up on her door out of nowhere. The only times she criticised him was when he lost his shit snd shouted at his grand daughter. She wouldn’t let him visit because he’d scared the kid. Then the real story about his involvement in his son’s death came out and obviously she wasn’t happy about that, but she forgave him. Compared to the rest of the women in BB, she was pretty much a saint.
Even more reasons she's lovely

Spaceman292

Banned
Its honestly embarrassing how badly they fucking disrespect the Horror genre.

Really no best actress nomination for Mia Goth in Pearl? With THAT performance? If you havent seen Pearl, give it a watch.

She performed the best monologue I've witnessed in over a decade in Pearl.

Toni Colette should have got a nom for Hereditary. I'd argue Florence Pugh should have got a nom for Midsommar. But nope. Horror doesn't exist to these biased fucks.

People cried rivers when The Dark Knight got snubbed, since then theres been dozens of comic book movie nominations. But horror actors have been getting snubbed ever since The exorcist still to this day.
All the Oscar judges are 80 year old men. They can't watch anything scarier than Driving Miss Daisy otherwise their hearts will explode.

LimanimaPT

Wow, a portuguese film nominated? (Ice Merchants, animated short)
First time ever a portuguese production gets nominated.

Edit:
And... Top Gun best picture? This shows how bad Hollywood has become. They couldn't get any better to nominate then that?

Last edited:
Have only seen about 3 of the Best Picture nominations, but I think we all know that Avatar and Top Gun are just fodder for the casual audience and trying to get people to tune in to watch when there’s a 6% chance either one will win the title.
I’ll give Austin Butler good odds since he played an icon most of the old voters grew up on, Lisa Marie Presley just passed away + Golden Globe Win, so that’s a lot of momentum in his favor.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Avatar was nominated for Best Picture, but Till was ignored. I'm surprised at that..

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm confused with some of these nominees. Everything Everywhere All at Once is my pick for best film, but that is a really tight race between several great films.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I thought Argentina 1985 was pretty trash and it'll probably win best foreign pic probably 🤷‍♂️... Also thought aftersun waa the best film this year and it's not even nominated when there is trash like avatar and top gun on there, so whatever. Oscars got bills to pay I guess

Dr_Salt

Everything Everywhere will win - for the diversity. I thought it was a very average movie personally.
Yea it will win for the diversity for sure. I was very disappointed with it after reading all the reviews saying it was the second coming of Jesus. Couldn't even finish watching it.

Dural

Avatar was nominated for Best Picture, but Till was ignored. I'm surprised at that..

Yeah, the director of Till immediately threw the racism card because it wasn't nominated. Is that really how she wants to be nominated? Out of obligation rather than merit?

I agree on Everything Everywhere being overrated, I was excited to watch it with all the hype and the time travel aspect but I couldn't get through it. I've started and stopped it more than once, not sure what it is but it couldn't keep my interest.

nkarafo

I stopped caring for the oscars since, dunno, 15+ years now. I do care about this one though because of Brendan.

Yeah, the director of Till immediately threw the racism card because it wasn't nominated. Is that really how she wants to be nominated? Out of obligation rather than merit?

I agree on Everything Everywhere being overrated, I was excited to watch it with all the hype and the time travel aspect but I couldn't get through it. I've started and stopped it more than once, not sure what it is but it couldn't keep my interest.
I never heard of “Till” so I had to check out why it was getting mentioned now. I don’t believe it was nominated for any Golden Globe awards either, so was that a racist/misogyny snub too?
Seems like it got decent reviews but won only one award from 20 something award shows/festivals so 🤷🏻‍♂️

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Avatar and Top Gun are fun films but no way Best Picture material.
Did Coda deserve to win anything last year let alone best picture? What about Nomadland?

Plenty of average indie movies have been winning awards in recent years. Its time an average summer blockbuster won.

Marvel14

Banned
Did Coda deserve to win anything last year let alone best picture? What about Nomadland?

Plenty of average indie movies have been winning awards in recent years. Its time an average summer blockbuster won.
No it isn't....two wrongs don't make a right.

SpiceRacz

• All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Elvis
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • The Fabelmans
  • Tár
  • Top Gun: Maverick
  • Triangle of Sadness
  • Women Talking
Some of these are questionable choices by the Academy. 'After Yang' and 'Bones and All' were better films than Top Gun, Women Talking, and Elvis.

Jaybe

I think Tar wins best picture from the critical reception that I saw it had received earlier in the year, and that nothing else really seems to stand out as much. I’ve seen 6 of the 10 best picture nom. I haven’t seen Tar, All Quiet, Women Talking and Fabelmans. From what I did see, I’d rank like so using a best picture lens:
  1. EEAAO
  2. Banshees
  3. Avatar
  4. Elvis
  5. Triangle of Sadness
  6. TGM
I know Babylon didn’t make it but man, some reviewers put that as their best film of the year and other hated it. I was curious if it would make the cut.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I thought Argentina 1985 was pretty trash and it'll probably win best foreign pic probably 🤷‍♂️... Also thought aftersun waa the best film this year and it's not even nominated when there is trash like avatar and top gun on there, so whatever. Oscars got bills to pay I guess

This is an actual ploy by the Academy Awards to attract tv viewers who'd otherwise think: "I haven't heard of any of these nominated movies, I'm not going to watch three hours of this". Less and less people are watching these awards shows and that's a problem for the Academy Awards because the tv rights are an important source of income.

Billbofet

Cannot believe Fablemans was nominated. Outside of pure obligation to SS, one of the cheesiest, rote movies I have seen in years. I guess SS is at the age where every dump he takes gets a nomination.

Cannot believe Fablemans was nominated. Outside of pure obligation to SS, one of the cheesiest, rote movies I have seen in years. I guess SS is at the age where every dump he takes gets a nomination.
Nobody wants to watch a family slideshow for two hours, even if it is well shot.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Saw Tár the other day and though it was pretty good. Banshees I've also seen a few weeks ago and it was decent as well but overall I'd say Tár is the better movie. Would give it at least the Oscars for directing, acting, script and cinematography.

Can't believe Everything and all at once was nominated this often. Even though I didn't like ti too much I would not say it's a bad movie but... so many nominations for acting, script and directing? Is this fo real?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
EEAAO was a pretty average movie, but I've got my fingers crossed that Ke Huy Quan brings home the trophy.

Dr.D00p

Why do people still watch this or place any stock in it?

Filled with vacuous, superficial pricks, grown adults who earn a living by running around playing make believe, like a bunch of 8yr olds...

Filled with vacuous, superficial pricks, grown adults who earn a living by running around playing make believe, like a bunch of 8yr olds...
I am also confused as to why people watch.

I think to some people, it's like watching the Olympics where they want to see the "best" humanity has to offer. In this case, in terms of fashion, looks, and fame instead of athletics. Kind of like the Olympics, it's made-up games and you get to see the winners do their thing.

Not for me, and I'm gathering not for you, either

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin

I used to enjoy the Oscars but maybe it's because of the hardships we all went through the last few years I just don't care anymore.

I enjoy their movies sure but don't care about them as people. The camera briefly showed Keith Urban & Nicole Kidman and I spontaneously burst out laughing.
Him with his orange carrot face and her on her way to break Joan Rivers' record for plastic surgery.
They loik like aliens 😄

Top Bottom