• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oscars: New Inclusion Standards Announced to Qualify for Best Picture

trikster40

Not sure if this belongs here or the politics board, but since it’s about movies, I put it here. Mods, please move if it turns in a more political direction. I’m guessing it’ll probably get moved :)

IGN: New Oscar Eligibility Rules

The Oscars unveiled their new requirements to be considered for Best Motion Picture. It’s massive, and personally, I think it’s going to cause several worthy movies to be left out of the discussion. I also think we are going to see some less-than-worthy films make the cut. It’s going to be interesting.

It doesn’t really go into effect until 2024 but nominees will have to submit an inclusion form for the next couple of years. Films must meet at least 2 of the following 4 standards:

STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
  • Asian
  • Hispanic/Latinx
  • Black/African American
  • Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
  • Middle Eastern/North African
  • Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
  • Other underrepresented race or ethnicity
A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
  • People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
  • People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing
STANDARD B: CREATIVE LEADERSHIP AND PROJECT TEAM
To achieve Standard B, the film must meet ONE of the criteria below:

B1. Creative leadership and department heads

At least two of the following creative leadership positions and department heads—Casting Director, Cinematographer, Composer, Costume Designer, Director, Editor, Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Producer, Production Designer, Set Decorator, Sound, VFX Supervisor, Writer—are from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
At least one of those positions must belong to the following underrepresented racial or ethnic group:
  • Asian
  • Hispanic/Latinx
  • Black/African American
B2. Other key roles

At least six other crew/team and technical positions (excluding Production Assistants) are from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group. These positions include but are not limited to First AD, Gaffer, Script Supervisor, etc.

B3. Overall crew composition

At least 30% of the film’s crew is from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
STANDARD C: INDUSTRY ACCESS AND OPPORTUNITIES
To achieve Standard C, the film must meet BOTH criteria below:

C1. Paid apprenticeship and internship opportunities

The film’s distribution or financing company has paid apprenticeships or internships that are from the following underrepresented groups and satisfy the criteria below:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
The major studios/distributors are required to have substantive, ongoing paid apprenticeships/internships inclusive of underrepresented groups (must also include racial or ethnic groups) in most of the following departments: production/development, physical production, post-production, music, VFX, acquisitions, business affairs, distribution, marketing, and publicity.

The mini-major or independent studios/distributors must have a minimum of two apprentices/interns from the above-underrepresented groups (at least one from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group) in at least one of the following departments: production/development, physical production, post-production, music, VFX, acquisitions, business affairs, distribution, marketing, and publicity.

C2. Training opportunities and skills development (crew)

The film’s production, distribution and/or financing company offers training and/or work opportunities for below-the-line skill development to people from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+

• STANDARD D: AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENTTo achieve Standard D, the film must meet the criterion below:

D1. Representation in marketing, publicity, and distribution

The studio and/or film company has multiple in-house senior executives from among the following underrepresented groups (must include individuals from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups) on their marketing, publicity, and/or distribution teams.
    • Women
      Racial or ethnic group:
    • Asian
    • Hispanic/Latinx
    • Black/African American
    • LGBTQ+

Last edited:
Hmm, parasite which won best picture despite winning best foreign film, would still be fine to win under these limitations despite the cast being so similar to each other. It's diverse enough because it has asian people and women.

I guess "oscar bait" movies will become even more glaringly obvious with this ruleset.

People still watch / take the Oscars seriously?

I was ready to quit but then Parasite won this year. Parasite was actually the best movie and it's been quite some time since the actual best picture won Best Picture. It was on a clear redemption path and now it's like it's locked behind this retarded algorithm.

I have to wonder if the dinosaurs ever deserved extinction as hard as we do right now.

ruvikx

Banned
retarded shit

It's straight-up textbook politburo communist shit devised by vicious idiots. The mask is off & people can now see the propagandists & whores of Maoism for what they are.

The Oscars are dead anyway, i.e. they've lost something like 80 million viewers (or therabouts) in 20 years since the Titanic era, so this is their final nail in their own coffin.

ruvikx

Banned
So basically Titanic would never receive an Oscar in 2020?

Yep. No Lord of the Rings or Gladiator (no Schindler's List either!). Just extremist quotas which they're attempting to push through in order to forcibly shape the far left world they want. They'd love to enforce these sorts of diktats across the entire board as well, all over every industry & every facet of life, not just their own shitty movie award shows.

Sick f*cks.

Oscars have been a joke for a while now. This just makes it official.

Best Picture has basically had these rules already for 10-15 years. It's a common joke that any overtly artsy film is oscar bait. Now it's just transparent.
  • 2020 - "Parasite
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2011 - "The King's Speech"
  • 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
  • 2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
I haven't seen every one of these. Probably Gladiator, Lord of the Rings would be disqualified. Not sure about Argo. Probably The Departed. Probably The Hurt Locker too, and maybe even The King's Speech.

Last edited:

Gifmaker

As a Western European guy, I feel severely left out.

All kidding aside - meeting quotes that have nothing to do with the actual qualifications for or the properties of the job is not a good approach, imo. Also, it sounds very jarring for an American filmmaker to meet all these "standards". Imagine someone going to Bollywood - next to Hollywood the largest movie business on this planet - and telling them that from now on they must meet all these quotes of not-indians in their movies. They would probably laugh at you. And then rip out your heart and sacrifice you to Khali.

Dorohedoro

yur6SpL.jpg

How about the best film wins Best Picture?
This is problematic.

There will be blood is one of those movies that stirs shit in my movie-colon, it makes other great movies become C-tier.

It's a masterpiece. It sadly had the misfortune of coming out in the same year as the best american movie of the century.

Also not eligible... I guess. Javier is latin, does that count?

"An atm..."

Last edited:

brap

Banned
It was an exceptional movie. Name a better one so I can laugh at your peasant taste.
I can name a million. It only got popular because it's asian and all the little k poop retards and sjws got it popular. Name another foreign film that won best picture. I'll wait, Muten Roshi-sama.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Oscars have been a joke for a while now. This just makes it official.

Best Picture has basically had these rules already for 10-15 years. It's a common joke that any overtly artsy film is oscar bait. Now it's just transparent.
  • 2020 - "Parasite
  • 2019 - "Green Book"
  • 2018 - "The Shape of Water"
  • 2017 - "Moonlight"
  • 2016 - "Spotlight"
  • 2015 - "Birdman"
  • 2014 - "12 Years a Slave"
  • 2013 - "Argo"
  • 2012 - "The Artist"
  • 2011 - "The King's Speech"
  • 2010 - "The Hurt Locker"
  • 2009 - "Slumdog Millionaire"
  • 2008 - "No Country for Old Men"
  • 2007 - "The Departed"
  • 2006 - "Crash"
  • 2005 - "Million Dollar Baby"
  • 2004 - "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
  • 2003 - "Chicago"
  • 2002 - "A Beautiful Mind"
  • 2001 - "Gladiator"
I haven't seen every one of these. Probably Gladiator, Lord of the Rings would be disqualified. Not sure about Argo. Probably The Departed. Probably The Hurt Locker too, and maybe even The King's Speech.

lol didn't know the departed won best pic hel! yeah

bender

What time is it?

We've tried it that way and it doesn't work.

-2005 Crash
-2009 Hurt Locker
-2010 King's Speech
-2018 Green Book

What we need is an overly complicated formula. Math is never wrong.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Never

Liberty4all

Banned
Not sure if this belongs here or the politics board, but since it’s about movies, I put it here. Mods, please move if it turns in a more political direction. I’m guessing it’ll probably get moved :)

IGN: New Oscar Eligibility Rules

The Oscars unveiled their new requirements to be considered for Best Motion Picture. It’s massive, and personally, I think it’s going to cause several worthy movies to be left out of the discussion. I also think we are going to see some less-than-worthy films make the cut. It’s going to be interesting.

It doesn’t really go into effect until 2024 but nominees will have to submit an inclusion form for the next couple of years. Films must meet at least 2 of the following 4 standards:

STANDARD A: ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.
  • Asian
  • Hispanic/Latinx
  • Black/African American
A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
STANDARD B: CREATIVE LEADERSHIP AND PROJECT TEAM
To achieve Standard B, the film must meet ONE of the criteria below:

B1. Creative leadership and department heads

At least two of the following creative leadership positions and department heads—Casting Director, Cinematographer, Composer, Costume Designer, Director, Editor, Hairstylist, Makeup Artist, Producer, Production Designer, Set Decorator, Sound, VFX Supervisor, Writer—are from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
At least one of those positions must belong to the following underrepresented racial or ethnic group:
  • Asian
  • Hispanic/Latinx
  • Black/African American
B2. Other key roles

At least six other crew/team and technical positions (excluding Production Assistants) are from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group. These positions include but are not limited to First AD, Gaffer, Script Supervisor, etc.

B3. Overall crew composition

At least 30% of the film’s crew is from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
STANDARD C: INDUSTRY ACCESS AND OPPORTUNITIES
To achieve Standard C, the film must meet BOTH criteria below:

C1. Paid apprenticeship and internship opportunities

The film’s distribution or financing company has paid apprenticeships or internships that are from the following underrepresented groups and satisfy the criteria below:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+
The major studios/distributors are required to have substantive, ongoing paid apprenticeships/internships inclusive of underrepresented groups (must also include racial or ethnic groups) in most of the following departments: production/development, physical production, post-production, music, VFX, acquisitions, business affairs, distribution, marketing, and publicity.

The mini-major or independent studios/distributors must have a minimum of two apprentices/interns from the above-underrepresented groups (at least one from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group) in at least one of the following departments: production/development, physical production, post-production, music, VFX, acquisitions, business affairs, distribution, marketing, and publicity.

C2. Training opportunities and skills development (crew)

The film’s production, distribution and/or financing company offers training and/or work opportunities for below-the-line skill development to people from the following underrepresented groups:
  • Women
  • Racial or ethnic group
  • LGBTQ+

• STANDARD D: AUDIENCE DEVELOPMENTTo achieve Standard D, the film must meet the criterion below:

D1. Representation in marketing, publicity, and distribution

The studio and/or film company has multiple in-house senior executives from among the following underrepresented groups (must include individuals from underrepresented racial or ethnic groups) on their marketing, publicity, and/or distribution teams.
    • Women
      Racial or ethnic group:
    • Asian
    • Hispanic/Latinx
    • Black/African American
    • LGBTQ+

What the fuck is this shit

I can name a million. It only got popular because it's asian and all the little k poop retards and sjws got it popular. Name another foreign film that won best picture. I'll wait, Muten Roshi-sama.

It won because it deserved, it's a brilliant work. I can think of many foreign films that SHOULD have one, starting with another korean masterpiece in Oldboy. They overdone with the course correcting, but the Academy had a definitive bias against asian movies. I mean, Studio Ghibli only has one while Disney can churn up many a singing cancerous same ol same ol and it's an autowin. Shit isn't right.

It won because it deserved, it's a brilliant work. I can think of many foreign films that SHOULD have one, starting with another korean masterpiece in Oldboy. They overdone with the course correcting, but the Academy had a definitive bias against asian movies. I mean, Studio Ghibli only has one while Disney can churn up many a singing cancerous same ol same ol and it's an autowin. Shit isn't right.
tenor.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
I don't care about awards and Oscar bait movies, but goddamn that seems like a whole heap of woke bullshit.

The movie basically has to have a gay black woman lead and be about her/their struggles. Pathetic.

Hey Oscars can you stop ignoring hans zimmer in every dam year? You snubbed him for Inception and chose social network over it, wTF. You ignored his next masterful work that is Interstellar. Also can you add stunt category as well and can you recognize tom cruise for the death defying stunts he's been pulling off in every movie he works on!

What if in place of coming up with all these women-first standards they instead just gave the best made movie the shiniest prize of the night?

theclaw135

Banned
Talent is talent. It's not advancing minorities to include them for political reasons, rather than picking the person best suited for the task.

Maybe they should also replace their golden male Adonis with one of those less glamorous but more representative specimen ?

e78wpbE.jpg

Or is this another one of those rules for thee but not for me situations ?
#FatOscar2021 !

GeorgPrime

Banned

No. Good movies can only be done with diversity. Look at Halo for examp....

But jeah Parasite was fucking awesome. After i watched it i recommended it to everyone i knew

Last edited:
Top Bottom