• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OTC For Anxiety?

I've always had severe anxiety but it's getting worse now that my father has passed away in November. I have a lot of panic attacks especially during the evening hours and just generally have severe anxiety.

I am seeing a psychiatrist but none of the medications she's giving me is helping.

Does anyone know of any over-the-counter medications or supplements that are good for somebody with severe anxiety and panic attacks? Something I can preferably buy on Amazon for instance.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I've always had severe anxiety but it's getting worse now that my father has passed away in November. I have a lot of panic attacks especially during the evening hours and just generally have severe anxiety.

I am seeing a psychiatrist but none of the medications she's giving me is helping.

Does anyone know of any over-the-counter medications or supplements that are good for somebody with severe anxiety and panic attacks? Something I can preferably buy on Amazon for instance.
what medication are you on? It's more than likely to stop your racing thoughts or at least slow them down. Psychiatrists are like teachers you have ones you remember fondly because they were good at their job. If you feel like your psychiatrist sessions aren't helping in a few months or so maybe try a different one.

Also, tell them everything even the stuff you're afraid to tell a soul for fear of judgment this is how they solve your issue. There's the point in going to one and saying only certain things and tiptoeing around the real issue. You need to learn how to manage your anxiety pills won't solve it 100%.

When it happens do you leave the place you're in and it stops? Let's say you're in a shop and have a panic attack do you leave the shop straight away and it stops within a minute

Last edited:
what medication are you on? It's more than likely to stop your racing thoughts or at least slow them down. Psychiatrists are like teachers you have ones you remember fondly because they were good at their job. If you feel like your psychiatrist sessions aren't helping in a few months or so maybe try a different one.

Also, tell them everything even the stuff you're afraid to tell a soul for fear of judgment this is how they solve your issue. There's the point in going to one and saying only certain things and tiptoeing around the real issue. You need to learn how to manage your anxiety pills won't solve it 100%.

When it happens do you leave the place you're in and it stops? Let's say you're in a shop and have a panic attack do you leave the shop straight away and it stops within a minute
I have to stick with the psychiatrist because I have some things going on right now that require me to stick with her. I actually do want to switch though because I really feel like everything she's given me doesn't help.

Edit: Mirtazapine, buspar and Zyprexa. That last one I take because she prescribed me it for sleep even though it's an antipsychotic.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice.

Hypothetically, someone who may or may not be me has had good success with L-Theanine capsules. Taken during the onset of an anxiety attack, L-Theanine takes the edge off in about 10-15 minutes in cases where, based on previous experience, the anxiety would've stuck around for a few hours.

I see Evilore's comment include L-Theanine as well.

nani17

are in a big trouble
I have to stick with the psychiatrist because I have some things going on right now that require me to stick with her. I actually do want to switch though because I really feel like everything she's given me doesn't help.

Edit: Mirtazapine, buspar and Zyprexa. That last one I take because she prescribed me it for sleep even though it's an antipsychotic.
Besides the medication do you get panic attacks and leave like I said in the post above

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

First cut things that can heighten stress/anxiety such as coffee, dark teas, energy drinks and such.

Natural OTCs like EviLore EviLore suggested are great. 3-5 mgs of Melatonin too before sleep. I take about 3mgs 1-hour prior to sleep.

Thank you. The first one looks particularly good.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of this or know about this product?

Calm & Connected Natural Calm, Stress Support & Nootropics Herbs Brain Booster Supplement -Enhance Focus, Clarity, Energy, Concentration with Bacopa, Ginkgo Biloba, Rhodiola, Lemon Balm -60 Capsules https://a.co/d/2l4PH3l

Jaybe

Just a thought, take it or leave it. If you’re drinking any alcohol, you could give a try to cutting that out for a bit. There’s a lot you can research but the gist is alcohol depresses your system and to counteract that your body floods you with stimulants which persist after alcohol’s depressant effects have worn off. Any way, stopping has helped me immensely with anxiety.

Hot5pur

Hi OP.
Really sorry to hear about what you're going through. Anxiety is tough.

What is your therapist doing? Talk therapy or CBT?

In my experience drugs just numb things to give us space to think and heal ourselves. SSRIs are fairly effective after 4-6 weeks, and benzos (though addicting) can help with panic. Ultimately the only way to get better is to heal your soul through the right thinking patterns that become second nature. It's also essential to cut alcohol, get enough sleep, good diet, exercise, and bolster your social relationships.

Some people also try Buddhist philosophy, in taking a deeper look into ourselves and the world around us, and understanding the sources of our suffering (like attachment).

Unfortunately I don't think there is any OTC stuff. So I wouldn't waste your money on supplements that eg. Promote serotonin production, that stuff doesn't do anything. Instead, you should get your blood work done to ensure you are not deficient in any vitamins and your various metrics are within norm.

Hope you feel better soon :)

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
If none of those helped, I doubt anything OTC is going to help. pretty much the only thing left to try is benzos - Is your psychiatrist not willing to try? It's pretty much alcohol in a pill form so I'm glad she's trying other stuff first but it can really help some people. Obviously, Like alcohol, it's also really hard to stop taking once you start :/

I know some SSRIs can also help with anxiety disorder, ie Lexapro

Last edited:
Get your hands on 0.5mg of Ativan. Good stuff.
My psychiatrist gave me two days of that after my dad passed away and she said she won't give any more. Yes they did help.

If none of those helped, I doubt anything OTC is going to help. pretty much the only thing left to try is benzos - Is your psychiatrist not willing to try? It's pretty much alcohol in a pill form so I'm glad she's trying other stuff first but it can really help some people. Obviously, Like alcohol, it's also really hard to stop taking once you start :/

I know some SSRIs can also help with anxiety disorder, ie Lexapro
See what I said in my above quote. My psychiatrist won't give benzos.

Fools idol

Banned
is weed legal where you live? It helps.

However the source of your anxiety is how you will one day break free from it. What are your biggest fears, and what triggers your attacks? The clues may take you a while to figure out but you can then look at fixing the issues.

A lot of uncertainties come when losing loved ones but the reality is most of our fears are irrational in life, even when they feel real, the chances of the worst case scenarios are usually low.

Gp1

(First if all this isn't a medical advice, but I'm sharing my experience since we are at the same boat)

Sorry to hear op. If it helps you to know I lost my mother in November too and between not having time to be in mourning over my mother, working like a cargo horse, dealing with the legal obligations, not so cooperative parents, sleeping out of my house etc. I'm dealing with sleeping problems, low energy in general, anxiety and panic/crying attacks for a good share of this 2 months. My anxiety usually comes after lunch (where my energy level is very low) and at middle of the night.

In the first few days I took 20 days of Clonazepam but that thing wasn't good for me. I slept relatively better but passed the entire day like a zombie. Now I'm taking Periciazine, It's not perfect but it works better than Clonazepam for me.

Try share what you are dealing with other and seek a therapist (I didn't went to one yet) and not only a psychiatrist that will prescribe you medicine.

Last edited:
My psychiatrist gave me two days of that after my dad passed away and she said she won't give any more. Yes they did help.

See what I said in my above quote. My psychiatrist won't give benzos.

You are very fortunate to have a doc that doesn't push benzos on you. They can be very beneficial in extremely small regimens, like the 2 days worth she gave you, but having them as part of a daily routine will probably not end well.
When I was getting sober my biggest fear was that I would simply end up trading a bottle of booze for a bottle of pills. Thankfully my doc was like "yeah, no benzos for you for at least the first year of sobriety."
Like all medication, when used judiciously, it can be very helpful. I recently started a new job, which as anyone with social anxieties knows can be a living nightmare. Doc gave me a scrip for 6 xanax to get me over "the hump" and it worked like a charm.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Benzodiazepines.

They're the best for anxiety regarding talking about meds.

Side note: they can be/are addictive. You build tolerance so it may make you want to take more than necessary.

There are different kinds. With different side effects.

I took and misused Lorezepam for about 8 years but didn't have much trouble quiting. I'm currently on Bromazepam 3 x 1mg a day which doesn't do much so sometimes I order some that do work.

It's quite personal and complex because it heavily depends on your specific anxiety symptoms and the kind of AND mg of whatever it is you're using.

Many will dismiss my post and say use the natural way. Buy again, it depends on the severity of your specific anxiety and how it manifests itself.

In my case it's a double edged blade. Or lock myself in the house and create chronic pain due to extreme anxiety or be able to go out and about like a normal person.

It's very grey and nuanced.

My 2 cents.

PS: not promoting anything just relaying my very own personal experience

PS 2: I'm sorry for you and your loss...

Kind regards.

Last edited:

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I dont wanna sound patronizing but excercise and a clean diet are the best "OTC" treatment you will find. Not telling you to lay off the meds but to try and pick up healthy habits (if you dont have them).

Sorry about your loss, hang in there itll get better.

Yeah going to the gym when you don't dare to leave the house and are in constant pain due to decades of trauma based fight or flight mode that results chronic muscle tension that makes it impossible to get a good night's sleep is in essence great advice. But sometimes a bridge is needed to get there. And I'm not referring to my previous post. That bridge can manifest in a multitude of ways.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
You are very fortunate to have a doc that doesn't push benzos on you. They can be very beneficial in extremely small regimens, like the 2 days worth she gave you, but having them as part of a daily routine will probably not end well.
When I was getting sober my biggest fear was that I would simply end up trading a bottle of booze for a bottle of pills. Thankfully my doc was like "yeah, no benzos for you for at least the first year of sobriety."
Like all medication, when used judiciously, it can be very helpful. I recently started a new job, which as anyone with social anxieties knows can be a living nightmare. Doc gave me a scrip for 6 xanax to get me over "the hump" and it worked like a charm.

The most common benzodiazepines are the prescription drugs Valium®, Xanax®, Halcion®, Ativan®, and Klonopin®.

I'm very glad it helped you.

Like I mentioned. Everyone's severity of symptoms are their own and vary massively in how those manifest.

I'm happy you only needed a bit to overcome your "hump" Others have chronic humps. So while I agree with your position regarding benzodiazepines please don't use your personal experience as X is bad because I only needed Y.

No ill intend meant.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
4,7,8 breathing method. In for four seconds through nose. Hold for seven. Out for 8 through mouth. Repeat during the day at intervals.

But if the anxiety is chronic, an SSRI is what you really need. Citalopram seems to be the favourite these days.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Epicurus’ writings are good as well. His philosophy strove to help people attain Ataraxia, ongoing freedom from stress and worry. Here’s one video on the ‘four-part cure’. YouTube has many you can view. I circle back to them sometimes.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
jim-card.jpg

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
try a daily breathing exercise. might sound silly but a 15 min session can do wonders

Damn. I have an acquaintance that keeps bringing him up seeing as we both do the cold shower thing.
Just today heard alot about his stuff on a podcast and now I see your post. Maybe something is trying to tell me something lmao.

Great for the moment
Next day it's like you've been grinding and putting all your exp into your anxiety stat

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned

1). Start exercising
2). Increase your Vitamin D intake (I take 10,000 IUs a day for reference)
3). Look into breathing/calming exercises
4). Look into meditation

All of these do wonders for anxiety. You don't need prescription meds, you just need to start being mindful of your thinking and taking care of your body. Certain supplements in a pinch can help achieve calm too when it gets bad, though. Like L-theanine.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
So from OTC, one answer. Alcohol.

Sad to say that, writing this while on my second liver

As for non-benzo option. Pregabalin (Lyrica) was a life saver for me.

Last edited:

niilokin

Sorry for your loss. Took me some years to minimize and almost completely eradicate anxiety, I had a panic attack every now and then which was triggered by my own thought patterns. I also did few sessions with a psychiatrist. Routine, diet, no alcohol, cutting down caffeine (this has been hard but it definitely helps), mindfulness practice, exercise, reading and listening to audio books about stoicism and philosophy, master key stuff (Napoleon Hill, Earl Nightingale tapes etc), studying, being creative along the years been helping me. One of the missing pieces of the puzzle for me was, simply, to cry if I felt like it. Also I know it may sound silly, but completely cleaning my apartment and getting rid of useless stuff after years felt like I purified my soul.

ahtlas7

GABA is a good option.
Get your vitamin and minerals too, especially D3, B12, C.
exercise your body, mind, spirit.
As niilokin mentioned, Stoicism might be a good practice. Check out some writings by Marcus Aurelius.

edit: be careful adding drugs or herbs, even otc things can interfere with your pathways. Ask your dr first!

Last edited:
So, I bought some of this from Amazon. Not sure how well it's going to work but I doubt it's going to work at all but I figured I would just give this a chance.

Anxie-T-bottle-new-look.jpg

Last edited:
I have an appointment with a new psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm going to let everything out.

I've been in really bad shape since my father died in November. I lived with and cared for him for all these years so I'm hoping this psychiatrist can prescribe something to help me out.

• Empathy
Reactions: Gp1

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I would recommend asking an actual doctor. Worst thing you could do is ask Gaf, or the internet for that matter. That’s how you make shit worse.

bitbydeath

I have an appointment with a new psychiatrist tomorrow. I'm going to let everything out.

I've been in really bad shape since my father died in November. I lived with and cared for him for all these years so I'm hoping this psychiatrist can prescribe something to help me out.
I don’t understand why a suppressant/drugs would be the answer. Exercise and getting out would be better right?

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
That's why I'm going to a new psychiatrist tomorrow. I've already went to a regular doctor and they can't help me because my issues are psychological.
That’s what I mean…a professional in the realm, not necessarily a regular doctor. I have dealt with Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety Disorder pretty much my whole adult life dealing with a nonstop rotation of medications that sometimes work a little, but mostly not. It’s been a rough road at times and I wish you the best.

That’s what I mean…a professional in the realm, not necessarily a regular doctor. I have dealt with Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety Disorder pretty much my whole adult life dealing with a nonstop rotation of medications that sometimes work a little, but mostly not. It’s been a rough road at times and I wish you the best.
Thank you. Yeah I'm switching psychiatrist because I don't like my current one so I'll be seeing the new one tomorrow. I'm a little nervous to say the least.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Thank you. Yeah I'm switching psychiatrist because I don't like my current one so I'll be seeing the new one tomorrow. I'm a little nervous to say the least.
Absolutely…it’s a tough change. Often you spill deep things to a psychiatrist, it’s not easy opening up like that to a friend, let alone a person you never really talked to before. Sorry about your father as well. I am lucky enough to be middle aged and still have both my parents around. I can’t imagine how that feels.
Hang in there, things always get better. Can never promise they get all the way better, but they always get better. Keep your head up.

Had a similar experience as well after hearing the loss of my grandmother. I slipped into a psychosis and went straight to the psychiatric ward.

Have you tried therapy on top of anxiety medication? I suffer from OCD and I never took therapy seriously until I was actually in it.

Medication can only do so much, but learning techniques on how to combat your anxiety with medication + therapy makes a huge difference.

Take this from me, who's suffered from OCD for half my life, and only took medication without therapy until recently.

Last edited:

Tams

Just echoing others here: long enough sleep, clean eating (and no, not some veggie bollocks, have a good helping of but not too much meat), exercise (to exhaustion if you're really feeling down), and meditation. By meditation I mean more like relaxing and clearing your mind, as I don't think actual meditation is for most people.

And if you are desperate, a cold shower and some things lined up to do afterwards do a load of good. You can also squeeze your balls really hard.

Rickyiez

I'm having anxiety recently too, like heartbeat rush from minor things , but doing meditation helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom