• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Other publishers are considering raising game prices for PS5 and Xbox Series X

Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

"The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.

"During that time, the costs and prices in other affiliated verticals have gone up."

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.

"Even with the increase to $69.99 for next-gen, that price increase from 2005 to 2020 next-gen is only up 17%, far lower than the other comparisons. While the cost of development and publishing have gone up, and pricing in other entertainment verticals has also gone up substantially, next-gen software pricing has not reflected these increases. $59.99 to $69.99 does not even cover these other cost increases completely, but does move it more in the proper direction."

He continues: "IDG works with all major game publishers, and our channel checks indicate that other publishers are also exploring moving their next-gen pricing up on certain franchises, for the same reasons outlined above.

"Not every game should garner the $69.99 price point on next-gen, but flagship AAAs such as NBA 2K merit this pricing more than others."

I don't like this, might also explain why Sony & MS would price their consoles at a loss, i'm sure they will benefit from that additional price hike.

[Update: A 2K Games spokesperson has issued the following comment regarding the pricing for NBA 2K21 for the next console generation.]

Q: The price for the next-gen versions of the game drew a lot of attention - could you confirm whether this is the expected price from 2K for next-generation titles?
A: 2K’s suggested retail prices for its games are meant to represent the value being offered. With nearly endless replay value and many new additions and improvements only possible on next-generation consoles, we believe our updated suggested retail price fairly represents the value of NBA 2K21

Last edited:

stranno

"Not every game should garner the $69.99 price point on next-gen, but flagship AAAs such as NBA 2K merit this pricing more than others."
source.gif

It is tho.
[Update: A 2K Games spokesperson has issued the following comment regarding the pricing for NBA 2K21 for the next console generation.]

Q: The price for the next-gen versions of the game drew a lot of attention - could you confirm whether this is the expected price from 2K for next-generation titles?
A: 2K’s suggested retail prices for its games are meant to represent the value being offered. With nearly endless replay value and many new additions and improvements only possible on next-generation consoles, we believe our updated suggested retail price fairly represents the value of NBA 2K21
Then put more damn content on the disk.
I doubt that would be the case.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

NBA 2k doesn't deserve to sell for anything more than $14. But as for real games, I'm fine with a price bump if it means improvements in quality throughout the game's framework, like assets as in the UE5 demo.

Nemesisuuu

If this happens, then be smart guys and preorder everything, day one11!!!1!!1 instead of waiting deep sales for such business practices.

NBA 2k doesn't deserve to sell for anything more than $14. But as for real games, I'm fine with a price bump if it means improvements in quality throughout the game's framework, like assets as in the UE5 demo.
That price bump was to make more profit not to put the extra work & wasting money programing, they know the audience for sports games will pay whatever they ask + you put a the mamba that died recently = emotion.

Sleepwalker

NBA 2K is a terrible franchise riddled with MTX, if anything they should make their game "free to start" so they at least feel a little bit justified in gouging people for content that lasts under 12 months with no (allowed) resale/recoup method available. Same goes for FIFA, Madden and other sports games, they are basically the same game year on year with a few minor gameplay tweaks and roster updates. Hardly pushing the boundaries of gaming.

And I say this as someone that plays those games.

Last edited:

Soulja

I could understand this if games didn't have any microtransactions in but so many games now'a days do and companies make a shit tonne of money... Yes they cost more to develop but companies are making a hell of a lot more money today than they were 20 years ago!

SilentUser

The comparison is simply invalid: Comparing the price of Netflix, a plataform with hundreds of movies and series, against a single game. Or comparing the cinema tickets versus a game, where in the last one tons of publishers a selling a lot of smaller parts of the game to make it complete only after you bought all those parts.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Speaking with GamesIndustry.biz, IDG President and CEO Yoshio Osaki says that game pricing has remained flat since 2005, whereas TV and movie pricing has increased significantly.

"The last time that next-gen launch software pricing went up was in 2005 and 2006, when it went from $49.99 to $59.99 at the start of the Xbox 360 and PS3 generation," he says.

"During that time, the costs and prices in other affiliated verticals have gone up."

Osaki says that next-gen console game production costs have increased by 200% to 300%, depending on the IP, studio and genre, but the prices have remained at $59.99. Meanwhile, cinema ticket prices have risen 39%, Netflix subscription costs have gone up 100%, and Cable TV packages have risen by 105%.
How convenient that he leaves out any mention of additional monetization from microtransactions, DLC, and loot boxes. Maybe that was mentioned in the original interview, but I didn't see it.

me0wish

Some points to make:

Digital:
Makes Publishers more money with almost none of the risk.
Gives Publishers money for forever, no matter how old the game is, they just have it up on the store since they don't have to print copies.
Digital removes the money "lost" from used games, which was a bigger "threat" than piracy.
Digital means publishers have complete control over pricing, not being forced to reduce the price once it stays on shelves with no one to buy it.
With digital store fronts competing, publishers are getting better and better deals, having to share less of their cut.

Unreal engine/Unity and other tools:
Streamlines everything.
Makes things cheaper and easier to develop.
Less employees are needed.
Games can be almost completely outsourced for cheap labor.

And then we have:
Microtransations
DLC
Season pass
Cosmetics

After considering that, we watch this for a good laugh.

I hope the gaming industry crashes.

I'd be fine with game prices going up if the microtransactions went away.

they're gonna go way more high in price.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, I would prefer games to stay at $60 but games increasing to $70 (or even $80 like I was expecting) isn't going to prevent me from buying the games that I want to buy and play. Only difference is that the games I have as 50/50 will have a lot more research done on them before I decide to purchase them. For the games that are day one guarantees, vast majority are physical discs and once completed, I trade them in which usually gives me half my money back.

Ah, whatever. It is what it is.

DavJay

Not going to like this of but I think it must be done if AAA titles are to be sustainable.

NBA 2k however. 😂

Essentially it's because of inflation (of the money supply).

With the increased cost that comes with flooding a sector of the economy with cheap credit and the overhaul increase in the money supply, average prices rise as a result.

This is the Cantillon Effect in full swing. The first recievers of the freshly printed money get the benefits, the overhaul economy later on suffers the results with rising prices.

Last edited:

Umbral

Is this true?

You can get blu-ray movies for $20 or less pretty soon after release. They used to be upwards of $30-35 if I remember right.

I‘m all for increasing prices if it means we’ll get back to no gambling being in games but we all know businesses aren’t gonna leave that money on the table.

Zok310

Banned
If it goes up to $69 then people will be more selective and buy less games as a result.
Unless they have tiers if $59 games and $69 games. But making everything $69 is gonna cause less game purchase as people will be less likely to chance a game they not familiar with.

T-Cake

This would just be another reason for me to justify getting the disc based PS5. Retail prices can drop quickly on some games and having the option of finding sales through PSN and retail seems smart to me.

I'm beginning to think about going back to disc for PS5 after having spent the PS4 years totally digital. It would mean I could play new games a lot earlier, sell them on and pick them up at some later date on PC, where prices drop a lot faster, if I wanted to play the multiplats again.

Last edited:
Lol, imagine spending $70 on sport games with it's cluster fuck full of Micro-transactions and The yearly COD. Hard pass on these two.

Barakov

Gold Member
$60 was already pushing it. At $70, even games that I want on day 1 are going to wait for a sale. It's on AAA publishers that their spending has gotten out of control. Especially with a lot of the big ones being riddled micro-transactions.

The AAA industry can fuck right off with this shit.

I think only the absolute top AAA games will be able to get away with this. If mid-tier developers try to price at $70 they are in for a rude awakening. Personally I’ll just continue waiting until most games hit $10.

Because games will be better.... 😂🤣🥳 and come with a printed manuals.... 🥳🤣😂 and complet with no extra DLC on disk... 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Yeah shure, this time, games will be better. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That's why they think - aka the guys behind NBA2k and the fiasco it is now 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳😅🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳 - are legitime to ask for more.

In real life, most of devs would have to pay me to play their shit... and i would not still give a try.

Last edited:
Honestly it doesn't bother me, but if they want to increase the price and keep the MTX they can fuck right off. Take Cyberpunk for example, from what I've seen I'd happily pay $100 for the game if that's what they asked, as I know I'll be playing that game for years, and I trust CDPR. EA, Activision, and to a lesser extent Ubisoft can wait until the reviews are out, and I'll make the judgement on when and at what price I'll buy in.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think most publishers are either already making enough from $60 games because they don't have crazy budgets (like Nintendo), or are fine with earning extra from DLC and mtx. That said, I'd pay $70 for games if that's what it came to.

Top Bottom